Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:17:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The perfect offline printer...  (Read 2874 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 05:48:11 PM

Within the "Add Printer" dialog, there should be the option to select the driver yourself.  Go to "System"->"Administration"->"Printing".  Then "+Add Printer".  It will "search for drivers", but even when you're online it will usually ask you to specify the make and model.  In your case, click on "HP" then continue.  Then under "Choose Driver", there are quite a few "Deskjet" options, though not 1050 specifically, but the 1000 may work.

Alternatively, you can try to find a .ppd file.  The .ppd is all you need, and instead of "selecting a driver", you just load the .ppd. 

I hope that helps.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
l.j2300

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:34:49 PM

Within the "Add Printer" dialog, there should be the option to select the driver yourself.  Go to "System"->"Administration"->"Printing".  Then "+Add Printer".  It will "search for drivers", but even when you're online it will usually ask you to specify the make and model.  In your case, click on "HP" then continue.  Then under "Choose Driver", there are quite a few "Deskjet" options, though not 1050 specifically, but the 1000 may work.

Alternatively, you can try to find a .ppd file.  The .ppd is all you need, and instead of "selecting a driver", you just load the .ppd. 

I hope that helps.

Yes that's what I originally did and it did not find it. I tried Design Jet 1050.. that didn't work and then I just tried what you suggested (Deskjet 1000) and it still doesn't work.

How would I find a .ppd file?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 06:53:07 PM

I hope that helps.

Yes that's what I originally did and it did not find it. I tried Design Jet 1050.. that didn't work and then I just tried what you suggested (Deskjet 1000) and it still doesn't work.

It looks like HPLIP is the way to go for your printer.  I didn't see a lot of success stories when googling it.  Apparently the reason HPLIP works is because it ships all the PPD files.  Perhaps you only need to install it on another system and then find the PPD in the installed directory, then copy it over.

Also 12.04 might be better.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
l.j2300

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:23:56 PM

I hope that helps.

It looks like HPLIP is the way to go for your printer.  I didn't see a lot of success stories when googling it.  Apparently the reason HPLIP works is because it ships all the PPD files.  Perhaps you only need to install it on another system and then find the PPD in the installed directory, then copy it over.

Also 12.04 might be better.

Thanks for the help. I will try the hplip and report back with results.
l.j2300

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:39:47 AM

I downloaded the hplip and installed it on my Ubuntu 10.04. I selected the correct .ppd but it still gave me a CUPS error. I kept playing around with the default "select driver list" and finally got one to work with my printer "HP Deskjet 1050". The driver that worked for me was "HP Deskjet 995".

itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:03:52 PM

I wonder if these issue has been discussed: On many operating systems, not only network printers but local printers also have printer spools witch cache print jobs. Are those spools purged in regular and predictable manner? Can somebody malicious who gained access to the machine recover printed paper wallet from such a spool?

I've tried to find an answer to this but haven't found any definite one.
PabloW

Activity: 228
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:20:41 PM

Just wondering, is there any user history of someone who lost their keys through printer hacking?
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 09:30:29 AM

Well, just like "correct horse battery staple" is a burnt passphrase now, it has its own interesting implications to have two pages of people writing about which exact printer they'll use, where they buy it, and to announce to print unencrypted paperwallets with Bitcoins on them. Long time "Hero members" all over the place. Those with the highest desire to really secure those coins.
Just sayin'!
:-P

Seriously, there were more complicated attacks in the past than that "hey, let's break into their warehouse and put that bug into all of those printers!". Or intercept all shippments.
Ah, screw that, they'll simply find out who we are and use rubberhose decryptography. Meh.

Ente

edit:
I don't know how I got here. I don't even have a computer!
Beatcoin? Whatdoesthatmean?
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:02:26 AM

Yeah, mine is carved in granite and buried somewhere. Any cheap printer will do as long as that printer never leaves your possession or is completely offline, as it should be.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: