Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:28:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart contracts in bitcoin  (Read 1805 times)
jgmBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 8

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 11:36:53 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Is it possible in bitcoin to start a smart contract preloaded with some amount of money. And if some other user is ready to pay to the smart contract a certain amount of money, the smart contract should release the preloaded amount of money in the smart contract to the user who paid to it ?
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 06:22:40 AM

Is it possible in bitcoin to start a smart contract preloaded with some amount of money. And if some other user is ready to pay to the smart contract a certain amount of money, the smart contract should release the preloaded amount of money in the smart contract to the user who paid to it ?

Smart contracts in bitcoin are possible, look here:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/counterparty-brings-ethereum-smart-contracts-to-the-bitcoin-blockchain/

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
pebwindkraft

Activity: 257
Merit: 343

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 08:16:56 PM

not sure what you mean by "pay to the smart contract". Example 4 in the wiki gives a good hint.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Smart_contract

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 07:27:23 PM

Maybe after seeing how the dao and ethereum have ended up we shouldnt really tempt fate too much by tinkering with bitcoin to allow such things. If its not broke dont fix it. Imo smart contract should be left to altcoins, Bitcoin as it stands works at what its supposed to (well within reason, its a good store of value anyway)

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 07:43:11 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Maybe after seeing how the dao and ethereum have ended up we shouldnt really tempt fate too much by tinkering with bitcoin to allow such things. If its not broke dont fix it. Imo smart contract should be left to altcoins, Bitcoin as it stands works at what its supposed to (well within reason, its a good store of value anyway)

Bitcoin has had smart contracts since day one. The architecture of the system is much more fundamentally sound and safe than the system in Ethereum. People have lost money via misuse of Bitcoin script, however, and no one has suggested forcefully adjusting Bitcoin's rules to claw those funds-- or others lost in other incidents-- back.

Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 10:08:50 AM

Anything smart contracts can do, Mutisig can do. Just bathe in that knowledge for a second, then start working with it! Smiley
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2016, 10:40:06 PM

Can I use bitcoin to throw money away because I prefer soundbytes and fads to thinking clearly and doing business in a rational way?  Yes I absolutely can. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
M28MmickT

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

BTG CEO

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 02:42:34 AM

Counter party has had "smart contracts" since years ago, the main part to take a look in a smart contract is the escrow of funds, their decentralized exchange is a type of smart contract that escrows money and executes orders independently. And as Gmaxwell said, you can even build your own protocol and language for smart contracts because Bitcoin has always allowed it.

jza

Activity: 126
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 03:25:22 PM

I think the next question is how, since I heard some of the OPcodes can have some type of code, and also a sidechain like smartcontracts.com can write to the blockchain and use their sidechain as oracles.
andytoshi

Activity: 179
Merit: 151

-

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 03:38:14 PM

To answer the OP's question, s/he could use something like a assurance contract, which do a payout after some threshold has been met.

The scheme described there is not really usable because at any point the recipient of the funds can pledge the remainder of the balance, push the transaction through, and immediately get her pledge back. But as best as I can read OP's request, this is the desired behaviour.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: