Bitcoin Forum
November 24, 2017, 08:59:42 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Canada's Largest Bitcoin Mine  (Read 97776 times)
smaxz

Activity: 402

VeganAcademy

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 12:16:22 AM

As a fellow Canadian.. this is really inspiring!!
Yes off course mining in Canada is very useful and profitable because electricity in Canada is very cheap so any one who are doing mining in Canada can get more profit. But I also added one country more which is Russia in which the electricity rate is low  which is also best for mining

Electricity in SOME PARTS of Canada is very cheap - like most large countries though, the price VARIES with the area (specifically including the USA from personal experience, and including Russia and China by several reports).

You forget the exchange rate.. It's pretty cheap for a first world nation colo.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bianc@_noel50

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:16:08 AM

As promised, we'll post some pictures as we put this together over the next few months. I'll return to this thread when I have more to show. It has been a long road since we started mining in 2013 as Great North Data. (We'd been dabbling since early 2012 with GPUs) Lots of competition has followed us to the Big Land (that's what the locals call Labrador) and we're happy to bring such a great industry to an area that needs economic diversity and investment.

The hardest parts about building this bitcoin mine so far have been:
  • satisfying the utility (they are a not-for-profit government-owned corporation so there's lots of bureaucracy involved - many more hoops to jump through than required by for-profit utility companies in other locations) and
  • meeting various code requirements. Everything needs to be CSA approved and meet the requirements of the utility. We have all seen photos of fires caused by poor electrical work, but following the rules will mitigate those risks.

In our location (Labrador) if you want a large amount of power you'll have to take it at a very high voltage. As such you'll notice our transformers are a bit larger than most.

http://i.imgur.com/GjnAWvl.jpg
Our main indoor dry type transformer - the panel is off as the the final tests are being conducted to ensure all the connections are good.

http://i.imgur.com/oNtMsBL.jpg
I'm calling this one Big Bertha. This is our main oil-filled outdoor unit that will link into the utility's grid. We have some smaller service connections to the grid (to run lights, HVAC, monitoring equipment, 120v uses etc.), but this one will power all of the miners.

http://i.imgur.com/Rfig5b4.jpg
The power goes through the top and into our underground conduit that feeds into the centre of the building.

http://i.imgur.com/0kuzl6y.jpg
Just to give you some perspective on how massive this transformer is - 14 feet high and 40,000 pounds.

http://i.imgur.com/MKV9n4B.jpg
A construction selfie from when we were gutting the building over the winter. It's now a shell, just walls, a floor and a roof. The indoor transformers will be crane lifted into the building at which point we can start putting it back together.

http://i.imgur.com/nlUhJqm.jpg
When in Quebec I recommend the food. The local cuisine is heart attack inducing.

http://i.imgur.com/au56t5C.jpg
Breakfast of champions: smoked meat eggs benedict. (The fruit is just to make it appear potentially healthy.)

We have a lot going on and I'll continue to post over the next few weeks and months.

Canada has more power consumption area. here electricity is more cheap. so in Canada who doing mining they earn more profit. not only Canada  Russia and India also more cheap electricity. so you have to try here. Canada, Russia and India had more power consumption so you have to try mining in Canada it is better to you.
GOP17

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:17:46 AM

As promised, we'll post some pictures as we put this together over the next few months. I'll return to this thread when I have more to show. It has been a long road since we started mining in 2013 as Great North Data. (We'd been dabbling since early 2012 with GPUs) Lots of competition has followed us to the Big Land (that's what the locals call Labrador) and we're happy to bring such a great industry to an area that needs economic diversity and investment.

The hardest parts about building this bitcoin mine so far have been:
  • satisfying the utility (they are a not-for-profit government-owned corporation so there's lots of bureaucracy involved - many more hoops to jump through than required by for-profit utility companies in other locations) and
  • meeting various code requirements. Everything needs to be CSA approved and meet the requirements of the utility. We have all seen photos of fires caused by poor electrical work, but following the rules will mitigate those risks.

In our location (Labrador) if you want a large amount of power you'll have to take it at a very high voltage. As such you'll notice our transformers are a bit larger than most.

Our main indoor dry type transformer - the panel is off as the the final tests are being conducted to ensure all the connections are good.

I'm calling this one Big Bertha. This is our main oil-filled outdoor unit that will link into the utility's grid. We have some smaller service connections to the grid (to run lights, HVAC, monitoring equipment, 120v uses etc.), but this one will power all of the miners.

The power goes through the top and into our underground conduit that feeds into the centre of the building.

Just to give you some perspective on how massive this transformer is - 14 feet high and 40,000 pounds.

A construction selfie from when we were gutting the building over the winter. It's now a shell, just walls, a floor and a roof. The indoor transformers will be crane lifted into the building at which point we can start putting it back together.

When in Quebec I recommend the food. The local cuisine is heart attack inducing.

Breakfast of champions: smoked meat eggs benedict. (The fruit is just to make it appear potentially healthy.)

We have a lot going on and I'll continue to post over the next few weeks and months.

Wish i were there!
smaxz

Activity: 402

VeganAcademy

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 05:31:32 AM

Wish i were there!

I wish you were too!

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
fedora8

Activity: 48

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:02:44 PM

I never have considerably thought how mining operates but wow, that genuinely seems to be neat. Nice to see men and women outside of China constructing mines. Congratulations.
probittrader

Activity: 18

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:34:58 PM

As a fellow Canadian.. this is really inspiring!!
Yes off course mining in Canada is very useful and profitable because electricity in Canada is very cheap so any one who are doing mining in Canada can get more profit. But I also added one country more which is Russia in which the electricity rate is low  which is also best for mining

Electricity in SOME PARTS of Canada is very cheap - like most large countries though, the price VARIES with the area (specifically including the USA from personal experience, and including Russia and China by several reports).

You forget the exchange rate.. It's pretty cheap for a first world nation colo.
I can see there are lots of resons to be in canada right now,But i donot understhnd why electricity is cheap there and not in usa ?
mean they are both in the same content an almost of the same economic class.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 1204

cryptominingtalk.com

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

Guys, let me explain a bit.  electricity costs depend on the specific region.  For example, in Ontario, electricity cost is really high.  In Quebec, it is really low.  think 0.0248usd / kwh including distribution and transmission.  We have huge hydro electric dams and a surplus of electricity.  And we buy electricity from Newfoundland at a 0.000000000001 per kwh due to an old contract we have when the dam was built.  or something like that.

The newfoundland part of labrador has cheap electricity too, but no one in their right mind would live there.  Which is why this particular "hosting" place has trouble with labor I suppose.  They obviously do not live there.  to get to and from the mine is crazy expensive.  airplane tickets are among the most expensive in the world and forget driving there, roads are crazy (i mean that) and it takes +12hours from civilization.

Its nice to build a mine where there is cheap electricity, but whoever said "i wish I was there" has no idea what winter is like there.  its quite desolate.

░▓█████████████████▓░
          ▒▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒██▓▒░
      ░▒▓███▓                 ▒██▓▓▒░░    ░
▓▒███████▓▒        ░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░    ░▓▓▓██▓▓▓▒▓
▒░██▒░░         ▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓██▓▒     ░ ▒▓▓░▓
░▒▓█▒         ▒█▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓████▓▓▒   ▒█▓▒▒
 ▒░██        ██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒░██▒   ██▒▒
 ▓░▓█▒      ██▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░░▒▒▒░░▒▓██▓   ▒██░▒
 ░▓░█▓     ▓█▓▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒   ██░▓░
  ▓▒▒█▓  ▓▒█▓▒▒▓▓▒░▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ █▒  ██▓░▓
   █░▒█▓ ▓███▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░ ▓█  ██▓ ▓
    █░▓█▓ ░██▓███▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓██  ██▓░▓
    ░█░▒██  ░ ░▓███████▓██████▒  ██▒░▓
      █▒░██▓      ░▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒░   ▓██░▒▓
       ▓▓░▒██▒               ▒██▓░▓▓
        ░█▓░▓██▒           ▒██▓░▓█░
          ▒█▓░▓██▓       ▓██▓▒▓█▒
            ▒█▓▒▒███░ ▒███▒▒▓█▒
              ▒██▓▒▓███▓▒▒██▒
                ░▓██▒▒▒███░
                   ▒███▒

miyva

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 02:58:06 PM

I've been in Lab City many times and worked at expanding the IOC mining (Iron Ore not bitcoin) This mine is in a building that use to be a retail store Smiley Now my contacts in Lab city tells me it's loud humming building hahah

Good job!
QuintLeo

Activity: 896

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:59:31 PM

Its nice to build a mine where there is cheap electricity, but whoever said "i wish I was there" has no idea what winter is like there.  its quite desolate.

Central Washington isn't too bad for weather - last winter per the locals was "the worst in decades" but it was an IMPROVEMENT (warmer, tossup on the snow) compared to the Iowa winters I was used to.

burliko

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 10:00:39 PM

So whats the status right now? are these guys stuck in legal battle? any update?
Thanks
B

[MULTIBOT] ▬ Powerful multithreaded trading platform
❰▬▬ Token Sale Start 20th Oct ▬▬❱
GreatNorthData

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 10:10:39 PM

Sorry - haven't checked in for a while. We have managed to scrounge up a few smaller set ups that we're throwing together ASAP. So we should have space in January for some more. And we still have 6MW in March to book out. Probably will be closer to 10MW Labrador wide by end of year, 16MW by end of March.

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
ruslango

Activity: 45

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 04:37:58 AM

Hey fellas I was pondering if you could host some rigs for alt coin mining or you are strictly centered on Bitcoin only? And do you do custom made creating of mining rigs? Could I wire you the cash so you could buy and develop the components for me on the place for a predetermined funds or do I want to ship my very own components to you? And starting from then I only need to shell out maintenance expenses every single month like electric power and many others., right?I love what you are performing with your task by the way. I began reading your thread this early morning and the images are actually excellent. I consider you will be very effective.
quochuan29

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 04:50:21 AM

This topic 1.5 year a go ..They much be very rich now

fedorkr6

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:07:33 PM

Appears amazing! Cannot wait around to see how a lot money you're pulling in 
burliko

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 02:42:25 AM

I believe in these guys! ,
They are swamped with emails right now but it's all good as long as they keep operating.
Go Canada!

[MULTIBOT] ▬ Powerful multithreaded trading platform
❰▬▬ Token Sale Start 20th Oct ▬▬❱
rxtwo

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:19:32 PM

This looks like it will be something great.

[ Multibot ] Multi-functional multi-threaded Trading Platform in the Cloud [ Multibot ]
❰ ◀ ◀ ◀ ❰ Token Sale Start 20th Oct ❱ ▶ ▶ ▶ ❱
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [ Telegram ] ❱  [ FaceBook ] ❱ ❰  [ Twitter ] ❰ [ Discussion ] ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
fedorkr6

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 12:33:22 AM

I've been to Canada a couple of occasions and it absolutely is an intriguing country, and I consider I may possibly want to go and see this one particular working day if I at any time head again up their yet again. The measurement of the mining facility together with the relative near-ness to exactly where I am impresses me, and it looks like something you will not see a lot more than a number of moments except if you function there.Keep it up, I am intrigued to see in which this goes. Appears like it is likely good so considerably.
borislt

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:56:32 AM

Yah working a pool is a complete other ball game/whack of operate, and the very likely hood of a new pool popping up and currently being adopted sufficient to suddenly make it well worth it, is slender. We are rather significantly stuck with what we received.As for the OPMORE Attractive MINING pictures. Severely I maintain checking... and nothing..
GreatNorthData

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 07:16:32 PM

Not yet... it all goes into expansion, expansion, expansion...

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
BenRickert

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:38:32 PM

Not yet... it all goes into expansion, expansion, expansion...
Ya'll are really pretty stupid. First of all, how much of your idiotic "expansion" has been gobbled up by crashing profit? In other words, how many new miners do you have to host just to spin your wheels in place. Answer: A LOT! Also, you're a fucking "hosting facility". You suck off the teet of the government. You're not miners at all. You're parasites. You're exactly everything that's wrong in the Crypto World right now. If we're all lucky, someone will EMP your shit and lay your crap "Genesis style" hosting facilities to waste.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.