Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:16:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The official Armory-for-OSX Bounty Thread [CLAIMED -- 25 BTC]  (Read 10382 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 10:43:57 PM

Is there are IRC channel for Armory or something like it? I'm tired of constantly checking the forum, live chat would be much easier.

I had created #bitcoin-armory but no one ever went there, so I stopped reopening it when I would restart.  There's nothing stopping you from using it though.  I just jumped in, myself.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
higuys

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:45:42 PM

What network?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 10:46:08 PM

What network?

Sorry, Freenode

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
higuys

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:47:29 AM

Alright, with the help of some pills, I fixed most of the stupid shit that my script did. Now, you only need pyqt installed with brew, and it'll just copy it and sip over to the environment. It's still a bit dirty, but it's better.

I'm also integrating it with the makefile in the Armory root dir. So, all you'll have to do is run make osx, and it'll spit out an Armory.app in an osxbuild dir.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 08:27:36 AM

First order of business:  I strongly believe that Red Emerald should receive 5-10% of this bounty regardless of any further contributions by him.  Without his help, there might not have been any OSX support for Armory, at all.  And I'm sure his brew installation will be extremelyt useful in figuring out what dependencies are needed, etc.

Discuss! (and donate!)

Wow! Thanks a bunch!  I haven't had much time for bitcoin recently (besides watching the price climb up and up).

Are these builds deterministic at all?  Would be great if we could have multiple people compile and all end up with the same verifiable hash.

If I get time, I'll tinker a bit.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 09:23:16 PM

Congratulations to higuys -- Bounty claimed!

He passed the "exit criteria":  He gave me a .zip that I downloaded in a fresh install of an OSX virtual machine, double-clicked, and Armory was running.  Nothing else had been installed.  In fact, there was no installation, either... it just runs!   And of course, he also wrote me a few paragraphs about it to make sure I understood it, and pointed me to a git repo with all the modifications.  It doesn't look hard to do.   The only problem is that I don't have a signing certificate yet, so users will have to disable the strict gatekeeper in order to use it...

And even better, higuys agreed to give RE about 10%.  There wasn't a negotiation, I just threw out a number that sounded like 10% and he agreed (sorry, it's actually 9.1%).  So I will break out my offline system and send higuys 22.5 BTC, and RedEmerald 2.255.  This was, by far, the most effective bounty campaign I could've imagined.  I guess it helps to have a nice compact problem to be solved, and someone who's basically already solved it!  Smiley

As for timelines... I have some big news coming up (besides OSX support), and the next few days are pretty packed.  I may have to wait until next week before I can actually create the OSX build to officially distribute.  For now, I request that higuys post his latest package and let people try it out.  Remember, he hasn't actually gotten the bounty yet, so he still has incentive to tweak it and help you out Smiley

higuys

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 09:48:42 PM

Here's my final proof of concept app: http://goo.gl/UYBEj

Feel free to report any more problems, I think I weeded everything out though. I'm glad you guys found my work useful.
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 09:50:54 PM

Great work guys, an excellent example of how a bounty can fix a long running issue in a matter of days Smiley
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:02:10 PM

Great!

I installed Armory with Red Emerald's instructions, using terminal - would you recommend switching to the new .app? And uninstalling previous version?

Thank you all for this fantastic piece of software Wink

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 10:04:36 PM

Great!

I installed Armory with Red Emerald's instructions, using terminal - would you recommend switching to the new .app? And uninstalling previous version?

Thank you all for this fantastic piece of software Wink

I can't officially recommend you switch to higuys' .app for your "real savings accounts."  I only ask that you try it out if you don't have Armory yet, to confirm for me that it works.  I will get around to checking the build script, code modifications, building, signing, etc, next week.  Then I will post an official version.

higuys

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:04:49 PM

If you do use the .app, you don't have to worry about uninstalling the old one. Everything that's needed is contained within the .app.

I know you should "never say never", so to speak, but the .app is the exact same thing as what was used before, just self-contained. I tested the basic features myself, making transfers, creating wallets, etc. Of course you should take that with a grain of salt, but that's what I have to say...
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:24:16 PM

I just got here, so I may need to go back and do some reading, but the app does absolutely nothing for me. Double clicking it does nothing, running ~/Downloads/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory in terminal simply returns... do I need to install something?

I can perfectly understand if not all dependencies could be bundled, but a little error would help me greatly Smiley OSX 10.6.8 here.
vamdor

Activity: 50

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:34:15 PM

Because you said that you may want to post bounties later too, here are a few comments:

First of all it would be good to see some progress report occasionally, to know whether there is something else to be done, what is still missing, etc. Pretty much as soon as it turned out that after having the dependencies installed with brew, the app builds trivially, it wasn't clear what else was missing. (codesigning, was it part of that? though that's also only two more lines)

You said in the opening comment that "I'd also like to see this thread used for collaboration". This is difficult without feedback on the process. It seemed like you're not considering anyone else than higuys, but it wasn't clear. Especially after you moved the discussion away from the forum to IRC, pretty much everyone else was closed out.

You also said that the goal is to have a "recipe", but at the end you say the exit criteria was "He gave me a .zip that I downloaded in a fresh install of an OSX virtual machine, double-clicked, and Armory was running.". In that case you should have closed the bounty earlier, or at least indicate that the party was over, because that stage had been reached.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 10:39:19 PM

Because you said that you may want to post bounties later too, here are a few comments:

First of all it would be good to see some progress report occasionally, to know whether there is something else to be done, what is still missing, etc. Pretty much as soon as it turned out that after having the dependencies installed with brew, the app builds trivially, it wasn't clear what else was missing. (codesigning, was it part of that? though that's also only two more lines)

You said in the opening comment that "I'd also like to see this thread used for collaboration". This is difficult without feedback on the process. It seemed like you're not considering anyone else than higuys, but it wasn't clear. Especially after you moved the discussion away from the forum to IRC, pretty much everyone else was closed out.

You also said that the goal is to have a "recipe", but at the end you say the exit criteria was "He gave me a .zip that I downloaded in a fresh install of an OSX virtual machine, double-clicked, and Armory was running.". In that case you should have closed the bounty earlier, or at least indicate that the party was over, because that stage had been reached.

There may be more that is done, but I can handle that.  My goal was to get something that *works*, and I can tweak the rest of it, probably with his help.  The reason the discussion moved was because higuys was essentially done already.  He was simply polishing.

And I guess I forgot to mention the 10 paragraphs he sent me via email, explaining the whole process to me.  Which was probably unnecessary, because his solution includes a fully-automated script that I can pick apart to understand what he did to any level of detail.

I didn't mean to imply that the "double-clickable .app" was the only checkout criteria -- it was necessary condition but not sufficient.  The polished script and extended email that makes the whole process repeatable for me, was the checkout.

higuys

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:43:37 PM

Nothing's stopping you from joining the channel. irc.freenode.com #bitcoin-armory

I also told him how to recreate what I did, which is what he meant by recipe. The app was just proof.

I just got here, so I may need to go back and do some reading, but the app does absolutely nothing for me. Double clicking it does nothing, running ~/Downloads/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory in terminal simply returns... do I need to install something?

I can perfectly understand if not all dependencies could be bundled, but a little error would help me greatly  OSX 10.6.8 here.
You shouldn't have to install anything, and afaik all of the dependencies are bundled. Running the Armory executable doesn't even output any errors? That's strange. It seems almost everyone is on 10.8.x, so I'll have to set up a 10.6 and 10.7 VM to test more.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 10:44:00 PM

I should add:  I also expected this to take weeks, not 48 hours.   I expected endless issues with dependencies, py2app, whatever.  And that it would require collaboration between parties to resolve.  In this case, though, higuys had basically already resolved all of that himself, and the rest seemed to be polishing.  For that reason, it didn't play out exactly as I expected.

Although I agree your contributions to the thread were useful, I wouldn't place at the 10% threshold.   Though, I do agree, it probably would've been a good idea to post my intention to payout the bounty, before actually declaring it, and get feedback.  I acted too hastily.  For that, I apologize.

vamdor

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:59:42 PM

My goal was to get something that *works*, and I can tweak the rest of it, probably with his help.
And this is what was achieved much earlier, and made it unclear what the state of the bounty was. Obviously what I mean is not going through, but never mind then. I wasn't doubting whether his solution worked, 10 paragraph email or not.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 11:02:44 PM

My goal was to get something that *works*, and I can tweak the rest of it, probably with his help.
And this is what was achieved much earlier, and made it unclear what the state of the bounty was. Obviously what I mean is not going through, but never mind then. I wasn't doubting whether his solution worked, 10 paragraph email or not.

Perhaps, I shouldn't have said "just works".   But I did say I would be the final arbitrator, and what he gave me was fully satisfactory.  The fact that it "worked" was the final test.  Any further polishing or adaptation to my workflow will be handled by me.

vamdor

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:06:53 PM

I should add:  I also expected this to take weeks, not 48 hours.

Well, when I first saw it, I was expecting much trouble too, having ported many libraries between unix-based platforms. But the fact that it went so smoothly, only shows that this is a well-maintained piece of software Smiley[/quote]

Although I agree your contributions to the thread were useful, I wouldn't place at the 10% threshold.
Thank you for acknowledging that. I indeed didn't contribute much, as I had absolutely no idea whether anything I managed is needed, or in what form.

I acted too hastily.  For that, I apologize.
No problem, keep up the good work!
higuys

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:27:35 PM

I can perfectly understand if not all dependencies could be bundled, but a little error would help me greatly Smiley OSX 10.6.8 here.

I'm working on making a Snow Leopard VM so I can test this. I think I know what the problem is, though. Does your computer have a 32-bit only processor (Core Duo)?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: