Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:41:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocking the creation of outputs that don't make economic sense to spend  (Read 3486 times)
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 10:47:23 AM

Fees should be enough to prevent spam transactions.
For unspent transactions...I'm with killerstorm about the tree-structured chain.

Also about his other proposal which seems less destructive, at least for legitimate use cases like colored coins/smart property.
Instead of expiring an address after a given number of blocks, I would prefer to activate some kind of no proportional demurrage so that we don't expire addresses with lots of funds without putting extra hardcoded validations about "small" amounts.
People just needs to move the coins if they still want them.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
Prattler

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 07:15:07 PM

Let's assume bitcoin has scaled up to 2000 tx/s. We all want this, right? https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Scalability. Block size is 500 MB. CPU, network and archival blockchain storage seem to solvable.

Let's say SatoshiDice-like systems are doing informational transactions that produce unspendable outputs, because they can and users are paying for it anyway (proved in real life). 400 unspendable outputs per second would be realistic.

This would be bloating UTXO data at a speed of 52 GB/year. That's a very big memory leak. And this is just the unspendable outputs.

Bitcoin cannot scale up until such dust output spamming is discouraged at the protocol level.
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 08:14:53 PM by killerstorm

This would be bloating UTXO data at a speed of 52 GB/year. That's a very big memory leak. And this is just the unspendable outputs.

You can save such "unlikely to be spent" TXOs to disk.

EDIT: Oh, bad idea...

Chromia: a better dapp platform
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 07:38:58 PM

Let's assume bitcoin has scaled up to 2000 tx/s. We all want this, right? https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Scalability. Block size is 500 MB. CPU, network and archival blockchain storage seem to solvable.

Let's say SatoshiDice-like systems are doing informational transactions that produce unspendable outputs, because they can and users are paying for it anyway (proved in real life). 400 unspendable outputs per second would be realistic.

Bitcoin cannot scale up until such dust output spamming is discouraged at the protocol level.

This is more and more looking like FUD.

52GB is nothing. The mining economy today at current BTC price is above $60M/year. You can have reliable servers handling more than 5 time this amount in RAM for less than $10k today. Add BloomFilter and sugar on top and you can probably do it on a $2k server.

If nothing changes running full nodes will be restricted to tens or hundreds of companies making a living of it. They will simply run the pools of today but charge more.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 07:42:08 PM

You can save such "unlikely to be spent" TXOs to disk.
Actually you need a fast way to find out if a TX used as input for another one is valid and spendable and don't want to go to disk for that (of course all unspent TXs are stored on disk but you need a structure in RAM to avoid DoS attacks using large numbers of invalid inputs).

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:54:48 PM

Bit late to the party on this one. Has anything been decided? I'm with killerstorm, it would be a huge shame to prevent colored coins/smart property in this way.

If I want to make a 'worthless' transaction of one satoshi, and im willing to pay a fee for the pleasure, where's the harm?

But the expiry idea seems like a less drastic solution than just effectively banning what you decide are worthless transactions.
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:33:48 PM

Bit late to the party on this one. Has anything been decided? I'm with killerstorm, it would be a huge shame to prevent colored coins/smart property in this way.

If I want to make a 'worthless' transaction of one satoshi, and im willing to pay a fee for the pleasure, where's the harm?

+1
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 01:59:11 AM

Well, at present, people are uploading wikileaks data, GPG encrypted data, python scripts, hidden wiki URLs, and other data spam.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:32:14 AM

Well, at present, people are uploading wikileaks data, GPG encrypted data, python scripts, hidden wiki URLs, and other data spam.

Are they paying fees?
Peter Todd (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:51:05 AM

Are they paying fees?

Yes - about $500 worth of fees for the 2.5MB wikileaks data for instance. (although if they weren't so impatient, it could have been about $50)

AsymmetricInformation

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 04:52:42 AM

+1

Both the SatoshiDice transactions and those for timestamping are really about storing a specific piece of information in the chain, forever.

Isn't there a way of doing this without touching the UTXO space? Some kind of flag to let the miner know "Hey, I really just want you to put '9b3fc6a603193ce5ad63a619482bc645035af1e89137ae1c69d7ad35227af511' into the blockchain, I dont actually care about this transaction at all."

The Bitcoin transaction doing this could then just be a direct payment TO the miners. The last piece of the puzzle would be for miners to choose to make this payment lower than the transaction fee, and incentives would align such that everyone could save money with non-UTXO transactions (they are cheaper than just burning a satoshi).

Is this not possible? Sorry, I don't understand UTXO enough to figure this out.

Support Decentralized Bitcoin Prediction Markets: 1M5tVTtynuqiS7Goq8hbh5UBcxLaa5XQb8
https://github.com/psztorc/Truthcoin
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 01:33:38 PM

Both the SatoshiDice transactions and those for timestamping are really about storing a specific piece of information in the chain, forever.

Isn't there a way of doing this without touching the UTXO space?

Some kind of flag to let the miner know "Hey, I really just want you to put '9b3fc6a603193ce5ad63a619482bc645035af1e89137ae1c69d7ad35227af511' into the blockchain, I dont actually care about this transaction at all."

Colored coins and smart property actually need to be transferred via transactions, timestamps are not enough.

Is this not possible? Sorry, I don't understand UTXO enough to figure this out.

It is fairly easy to implement timestamping with close to zero overhead.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Peter Todd (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 01:43:27 PM

Isn't there a way of doing this without touching the UTXO space? Some kind of flag to let the miner know "Hey, I really just want you to put '9b3fc6a603193ce5ad63a619482bc645035af1e89137ae1c69d7ad35227af511' into the blockchain, I dont actually care about this transaction at all."

This is what you want Provably Unspendable/Prunable Outputs

It's still a bit controversial, but there is consensus among the devs that at least a 20 byte data payload should be made a standard transaction type. That is a zero-value output of the form:

Code:
scriptPubKey: OP_RETURN <20 bytes>

We may eventually enforce that the 20 bytes be a digest of a SHA256 hash to make sure putting arbitrary data in the blockchain is very difficult - gmaxwell came up with a (very clever) way to do this: To prevent arbitrary data storage in txouts — The Ultimate Solution

AsymmetricInformation

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 02:45:41 PM

This is what you want Provably Unspendable/Prunable Outputs

It's still a bit controversial, but there is consensus among the devs that at least a 20 byte data payload should be made a standard transaction type. That is a zero-value output of the form:

Code:
scriptPubKey: OP_RETURN <20 bytes>

We may eventually enforce that the 20 bytes be a digest of a SHA256 hash to make sure putting arbitrary data in the blockchain is very difficult - gmaxwell came up with a (very clever) way to do this: To prevent arbitrary data storage in txouts — The Ultimate Solution

Pretty cool...looks like I have more reading to do.

Support Decentralized Bitcoin Prediction Markets: 1M5tVTtynuqiS7Goq8hbh5UBcxLaa5XQb8
https://github.com/psztorc/Truthcoin
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: