Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:34:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ATTN POOL OPS] List of pools' transaction policies.  (Read 3368 times)
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 07:52:16 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2013, 12:53:02 AM by organofcorti

Now that (thanks to SatoshiDice) we've hit the 250k block size,  there is a great deal of interest about the transaction policies different pools have.

A pool op has messaged me and suggested that pool tx policies would be useful to have as a post, preferrably stickied. I agree. However this data won't fit in the original "Mining pools list"  without making it very messy, so I need to create a new "Mining pools transaction policy list".

The original "Mining pools list" informs miners of pool differences that directly affect their earnings. Pools are split into reward methods, and then other category columns added.

For a "Mining pools transaction policy list", I would recommend listing pools in alphabetical order (names linked to bitcointalk.org forum posts), with category columns.

So, what categories are important? How do pools differ in their tx preference policies?

Here's an example - please let me know if I have any of the explanations wrong.

Note: Since the block size induced hard fork yesterday, I've changed the values below until we have a fix for the problem (or all clients are 0.8.0 or later)

MaximumMinimumPriorityMinimumTransaction
Pool            block size    block size    block size    fee (BTC)       filtering
BTCGuildNANANANANA
SlushNANANANANA

• Maximum block size: the largest size block a pool will create.
  • Minimum block size: the largest size block a pool will create that can include any tranaction based on priority and regardless of fee.
  • Priority block size: block space given over to high priority and low or no fee transactions.
  • Minimum fee: the minimum fee transaction a pool will include in a block.
  • Transaction discrimination: a list of source transactions which a pool will refuse to include in a block.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 08:12:11 AM

The 5 main categories I see as being useful:
  1) Max block size
  2) Min block size (Any block not this big will include ANY transaction, based on priority, regardless of fee)
  3) Priority block size (Space reserved specifically for high priority+no/low fee transactions)
  4) Minimum fee
  5) TX Discrimination (like how a few pools refuse to include transactions sent to 1dice...)

BTC Guild Settings:
  1) 750,000
  2) 150,000
  3) 100,000
  4) Standard satoshi client fee processing and transaction prioritization
  5) No transactions blocked, ignored, or throttled

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 08:30:27 AM

There were bottlenecks  in previous versions of bitcoind and increasing block size often caused higher ratio of orphaned blocks. I'd like to thanks bitcoin developers for recent speedups in official software. I played a bit with pool settings and current values on my pool are:

1) Max block size 990k
2) Min block size 50k
3) Priority block size 50k
4) Min fee 0.0001
5) No blocking

eleuthria
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 08:33:36 AM

There were bottlenecks  in previous versions of bitcoind and increasing block size often caused higher ratio of orphaned blocks. I'd like to thanks bitcoin developers for recent speedups in official software. I played a bit with pool settings and current values on my pool are:

Yes, 0.8 is amazing at how fast it can process blocks, and additionally how fast it responds with a template for a new block after an LP.  One thing I've noticed specifically is with more pools moving beyond 250,000 bytes, the time it takes pools to push out new work at a block change has increased dramatically, because bitcoind isn't having to re-prioritize/select as many transactions that weren't included in the prior block.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 11:54:20 AM

Updated, with BTCGuild and Slush's pool added. Is this simple enough for everyone to follow?

JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 02:42:11 PM

A comment from fireduck on HHTT policies...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95378.msg1604552#msg1604552

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 09:38:50 PM

No:
  • This is biased to support SatoshiDice's DDoS attack against Bitcoin. Instead of "transaction discrimination", it should be "anti-flooding filter quality"
  • There is no such thing as "Standard" transaction fee.
  • The chart presupposes bitcoind 0.8 logic.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:39:48 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 12:07:34 AM by os2sam

No:
  • This is biased to support SatoshiDice's DDoS attack against Bitcoin. Instead of "transaction discrimination", it should be "anti-flooding filter quality"

But couldn't you still publish the stat's that pertain to what your pools block criteria is?  If you disagree with the 2 of the five classifications you could still post the other 3? right?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 10:40:45 PM

No:

But couldn't you still publish the stat's that pertain to what your pools block criteria is?  If you disagree with the 2 of the five classifications you could still post the other 3? right?
He 'supposedly' doesn't have a pool ... but we all know that's FUD also ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 01:20:57 AM

No:

I disagree. If the standard previously was to include all sources of tx, then the change would be to refuse to include some tx based on the source. This is not the previous standard behaviour.

I'm not pushing one point of view over another. If you have a serious suggestion about how to name the category- for example "source filtering" would be ok - then try again.

This is the tx fee as recommended by the standard client. I didn't make that at all clear, sorry about that.

Could you clarify that response? It presupposes I know what the hell you're talking about Wink

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:53:02 AM

No:
I disagree. If the standard previously was to include all sources of tx, then the change would be to refuse to include some tx based on the source. This is not the previous standard behaviour.

I'm not pushing one point of view over another. If you have a serious suggestion about how to name the category- for example "source filtering" would be ok - then try again.
No, the behaviour of bitcoind has always been to try to filter out floods/spam.
To date, the algorithms used in releases include coin age, output sizes, transaction data size, and fees included.

This is the tx fee as recommended by the standard client. I didn't make that at all clear, sorry about that.
That varies by branch/version, especially on the miner end.

Could you clarify that response? It presupposes I know what the hell you're talking about Wink
While "maximum block size" has a well-defined meaning, the others do not.
"Minimum block size" by its literal meaning is obviously something like 140 bytes for all pools - so I presume you mean something else.
"Priority block size" makes no sense until you define what "priority" is - and this is (intentionally) not well-defined even in bitcoind.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 09:41:10 AM

No, the behaviour of bitcoind has always been to try to filter out floods/spam.
To date, the algorithms used in releases include coin age, output sizes, transaction data size, and fees included.

OK, I can change the category to "Source filtering". I don't think anyone would mind, and I think you're right in that it doesn't have the same negative connotation that "Transaction discrimination" does.

In this case the minimum fees may need to be made explicit.

While "maximum block size" has a well-defined meaning, the others do not.
"Minimum block size" by its literal meaning is obviously something like 140 bytes for all pools - so I presume you mean something else.
"Priority block size" makes no sense until you define what "priority" is - and this is (intentionally) not well-defined even in bitcoind.

Minimum block size and priority block size are both explained in the OP quite clearly:

Minimum block size: the largest size block a pool will create that can include any tranaction based on priority and regardless of fee.

Priority block size: block space given over to high priority and low or no fee transactions.

You are welcome to suggest another name for either of them if these category names are not sufficiently intuitive.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 09:50:22 AM

"Default" isn't the right answer to a few of those categories, I think. Either way, I'd like pool ops to post their policies explicitly so I don't get it wrong.

eleuthria
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:57:42 AM

For clarity, I'd define the "default/standard" for BTC Guild fee policy as:  Satoshi Client (0.Cool Default.  IE:  We do not impose a non-standard fee requirement, just whatever the most current client defaults to.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 10:02:06 AM

For clarity, I'd define the "default/standard" for BTC Guild fee policy as:  Satoshi Client (0.Cool Default.  IE:  We do not impose a non-standard fee requirement, just whatever the most current client defaults to.

Not according to Luke-jr:

Is this statement correct or not? I can't judge.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:11:58 AM

Not according to Luke-jr:

Is this statement correct or not? I can't judge.
Luke said it.
If you bet it was either a twisting of fact or a dictionary definition that is incorrect in any but Luke's magic fairy dictionary, then you'd be right more often than wrong.

As for his actual answer, it is nonsense.

The miners have nothing to do with it since there are no 'standard' miners that include the option to mess with transactions.

Yes the standard bitcoind client has different rules over time - however, Luke also makes tests of his own that he thinks should be called standard - but are just simply him making releases that are full of rejected code.
Luke' definition of standard includes anything that flies out of his ass ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
JWU42
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:25:58 AM

"Default" isn't the right answer to a few of those categories, I think. Either way, I'd like pool ops to post their policies explicitly so I don't get it wrong.

OK - then "not specified" which would fall to the bitcoind (believe he is running 0.8.0) default for everything except mintxfee

Code:
Block creation options:
 -blockminsize=<n>      Set minimum block size in bytes (default: 0)
 -blockprioritysize=<n> Set maximum size of high-priority/low-fee transactions in bytes (default: 27000)

We have asked FD to post here as well  Smiley

eleuthria
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 06:28:17 PM

At least for the time being, the above settings no longer apply for BTC Guild (and probably the few other pools that responded).  Hopefully 0.8.1 comes soon so we can still increase block size, without worrying about creating a fork due to the 0.7 bug.

JWU42
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 06:35:55 PM

At least for the time being, the above settings no longer apply for BTC Guild (and probably the few other pools that responded).  Hopefully 0.8.1 comes soon so we can still increase block size, without worrying about creating a fork due to the 0.7 bug.

+1000

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 08:42:27 PM

OP updated (a bit)