Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Luke-Jr an enemy of Bitcoin ? [poll]
Yes
No
I don't know

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is one of the devs (Luke-Jr) an enemy of Bitcoin ?  (Read 5332 times)
anarchy

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 02:54:49 PM

Luke-jr: Would you ever change any of the core principles of bitcoin:

1) The limited supply
2) The decentralised nature

A yes or no will do, there are no inbetweens to take on that.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 02:55:29 PM

I thought Luke-Jr being a religious authoritarian statist zealot was old news?
+1
I don't like people   with  mentality like that they destroy anything they touch...  
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 02:58:39 PM

You are digging way too deep.  You sound like an intelligent guy and your time is more valuable doing other things.  Just because you are not Libitarian does not mean you don't like Bitcoin and cannot use it.  You said to read the whole thing, well sorry I have better things to do...  

I realize i went slighly overboard with this poll, but i guess even if 99% people say "No", it will at least raise awarness of the "social punishment vs mathematical algorithms" problem.

And i still will consider Luke-Jr an enemy of Bitcoin.

If it's because of what he said in the discussion you quoted then you have no clue as to the actual position bitcoin takes in society.
Bitcoin is a balancing force to the rigidness of the current monetary systems.
But without the deep roots of conventional economy bitcoin becomes worthless.
This is because globally stuff like food, energy and technology are the product of these conventional economies.

So in reality the best thing is to have both and i don't understand why Luke-Jr would be an enemy of bitcoin because he doesn't see bitcoin in the same extreme way that you seem to.
The notion of "If you're not with us you're against us." has a pretty sick history.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:00:12 PM

hint: people who have other opinions than you are not automatic your enemy.

Wrong. Not MY enemy. *Bitcoin's enemy*.

bitcoin is just a currency.
its only enemies are people with big pockets full of fiat.

its a p2p currency which means: everybody can do as he wants to (this includes sdice AND luke-jr not letting their transactions in his blocks).

so please.. just calm down a little.
mobodick

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:08:12 PM

its a p2p currency which means: everybody can do as he wants to (this includes sdice AND luke-jr not letting their transactions in his blocks).

See, these are the little mistakes that screw things up.

This should be 'power' instead of 'fiat'.
And so once bitcoin becomes big enough we will have exactly the same problems that all currencies have. And people will be screaming for regulations etc.

All this naive libertanian fluff is just an indicator that bitcoin is not making a serious dent.

Bitcoin certainly has some pro's but it also has flaws that will require new laws to make it work on any large scale.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:15:24 PM

See, these are the little mistakes that screw things up.

This should be 'power' instead of 'fiat'.
And so once bitcoin becomes big enough we will have exactly the same problems that all currencies have. And people will be screaming for regulations etc.

All this naive libertanian fluff is just an indicator that bitcoin is not making a serious dent.

Bitcoin certainly has some pro's but it also has flaws that will require new laws to make it work on any large scale.

one thing i really love about bitcoin is, that laws just wont work.
as long as the protocol stays the same (or only has minor modifications) i am able to start a mining operation and let my transactions get processed.

if that ever changes you're right. but then there wont be any difference between bitcoin and fiat anymore.
Matoking

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 03:19:15 PM

I don't really consider him an enemy of Bitcoin, although he really seems self-centered about his own beliefs sometimes.

I got caught into an edit war on Bitcoin Wiki over the SatoshiDice article when I tried to make the SatoshiDice article more neutral by removing all straight "SatoshiDice is a DDoS attack" accusations, which weren't even backed by any references. Eventually he told me he would only allow my edits to stay if I specifically told in the article that SatoshiDice is a DDoS attack. Looking at his previous contributions in the wiki ( 1, 2, 3 ), it wasn't the first time his "facts" were met by criticism.

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:25:24 PM

I don't really consider him an enemy of Bitcoin, although he really seems self-centered about his own beliefs sometimes.

I got caught into an edit war on Bitcoin Wiki over the SatoshiDice article when I tried to make the SatoshiDice article more neutral by removing all straight "SatoshiDice is a DDoS attack" accusations, which weren't even backed by any references. Eventually he told me he would only allow my edits to stay if I specifically told in the article that SatoshiDice is a DDoS attack. Looking at his previous contributions in the wiki ( 1, 2, 3 ), it wasn't the first time his "facts" were met by criticism.

With such a foolish behavior, he is doing harm to Bitcoin.
This is the reason i think he is an enemy of BTC.

Actually this so good I am gonna re-paste it into the top post.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 03:33:37 PM

If we limit only libertarians to Bitcoin then we will not get very far.

Following Ron Paul, he brought in many liberals and others who were against the Federal Reserve because they understood how bad the Fed actually is and what they are doing.

Some people may believe that Bitcoin will make government programs more efficient so that we can have more government. Who knows.

While libertarians can use Bitcoin as a tool to free ourselves from government control. It can also be used as a tool by many other ideological beliefs.

Kim Jung Un could adopt Bitcoin for North Korea tomorrow and revel in dictatorial power as NK's GDP skyrockets and he uses the power to oppress his people even more and build a buttload of nukes.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
mobodick

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:11:57 PM

if that ever changes you're right. but then there wont be any difference between bitcoin and fiat anymore.

Nah, there will be plenty pro's for bitcoin in that situation. For one, you cannot print more bitcoins.
So i think Luke-Jr is right about bitcoins position in the real world.
The way i see it, even IF bitcoin fails to be better than fiat on most accounts it is still a pretty good currency for the internet.
mobodick

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:17:13 PM

I'm not sure you see his point.
It is technically correct to call it a DDoS attack.
 Grin
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:28:26 PM

this thread is ridiculous.
op should admit that other poeple having other viewpoint are not always enemys.
This make me think that op must have some troubles to figure out the diference between a democracy and a battlefield...

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:37:06 PM

This make me think that op must have some troubles to figure out the diference between a democracy and a battlefield...

Democracy is a battlefield. It's the majority oppressing me, robbing me and ultimately threatening to kill me if I don't do what they say. Just because I constantly tactically retreat does not mean I'm not in a fight.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:41:23 PM

Luke-Jr might not share the ideals of Bitcoin spirit but he is good at coding. Even if Luke-Jr is wrong socially, his code adheres to laws of math and computing, so he cannot break these laws easily without anyone noticing. Double check his commits and Bitcoin are safe for now.

The OP is right in most accounts. I don't agree with most of libertarian views, but I'm hardcore unregulated internet freedom and anti-censorship activist. So making Bitcoin into regulated currency is completely unacceptable.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 05:08:10 PM

Luke may not realize this yet, but ideologically he is an enemy of Bitcoin.
What he believes in stands in direct opposition to the ideals which created Bitcoin.

Maybe he will realize this some time in the future and start fighting Bitcoin - you never know.

As hazek already pointed out, democracy is a battlefield of a sort.

JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 05:24:10 PM

You point out using 'neutral' comments in the wiki with reference to SD but then use "(Luke-Jr) an enemy of Bitcoin".

Luke's opinion differs from others but is in alignment with others too.

Just because his view is different doesn't make him an 'enemy'. I disagree with him on this matter but the ultimate ends between he and I are similar. Taking two roads that lead to the same destination doesn't make someone an enemy. In fact, 'enemy' is a pretty strong word. On that should rarely be used.

My bigger concern is the consolidation of power. We even have a 'members only' club with seats on boards and everything. NYSE v. 2.0 "Settle accounts at the end of the week Thurman" Not that it is bad to have such but with consolidation of power comes corruption. I'd prefer the -devs stayed neutral to such things but meh... Spitting in the wind tends and all.

A community isn't composed of people that all think alike, it's composed of people that think differently but co-exist together peacefully to promote the community.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 05:30:39 PM

Personally I don't care about Luke as far as his beliefs go. As long as people check his work, and I have no doubt all dev's work is checked not just Luke's, I don't mind what he wants if he leaves me alone.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 06:57:04 PM

Personally I don't care about Luke as far as his beliefs go. As long as people check his work, and I have no doubt all dev's work is checked not just Luke's, I don't mind what he wants if he leaves me alone.

Maybe all the developers should operate under a pseudonym and submit things from behind TOR, so that they're all treated equally?

Actually, this is what I2P developers already do. So it is possible for sure.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 07:03:23 PM

Well, if the guy likes people telling him what to do and how to act, let him be.  As long as he doesn't turn BTC into fiat, his work can only help Bitcoin.

Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 07:05:08 PM

Should you double-check his commits in the source ?

We should double-check everyone's commits. Even Satoshi's.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: