Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:22:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH hardfork incoming.  (Read 18986 times)
CryptoCoinWareHouse

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 11:42:29 PM

Its going to be a bit late to do  a hardfork once that eth gets dumped.  Im noticing some people are still buying atm.  I guess they never got the news yet.

The fork is for the eth in question is don't think it has anything to do with buying now

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 11:46:39 PM

We were about to run our project on Ethereum.

After hard fork I'm not sure it is a good idea.

I don't understand how can anyone use blockchain which could be hardforked by creator's decision. Sad

Vitalik does not decide, the Ethereum community decides if they want to hard fork or not. The miners decide.

Yeah, right. VB was able to stop ETH deposits and withdraws at the exchanges with a conversation. The soft fork is opt-out, not opt-in aka default for the update. VB and his buddies lost coins so they will push everyone to "fix it". ETH is probably the most controlled coin out there. What good are ETH contracts if they can be reversed?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 12:05:27 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2016, 09:00:29 AM by smooth

I propose that Ethereum be renamed DoOverCoin.

Ever sent coins to the wrong address?

Ever lost your private key?

Every sent coins to insecure smart contracts?

No problem! DoOverCoin has your back!

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 12:48:03 AM

I propose that Ethereum be renamed DoOverCoin.

Ever sent coins to the wrong address?

Ever lost your private key?

Every sent code to insecure smart contracts?

No problem! DoOverCoin has your back!

Why not VBCoin? He has absolute control over it even on the exchanges.
2Pac

Activity: 749
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 12:14:37 PM

Where is Vitalik now and what is his latest decision? As he's the one and only decision-maker you all have to listen to him.
Don't trust anyone but especially never trust Russians.
Rastanan

Activity: 193

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 12:43:32 PM

Where is Vitalik now and what is his latest decision? As he's the one and only decision-maker you all have to listen to him.
Don't trust anyone but especially never trust Russians.

The miners are the decision makers. So for the DAO holders if they want to get their money back, they should become miners as well.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 01:28:13 PM

Nice list of scams--

https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/06/19/thinking-smart-contract-security/
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 06:36:29 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2016, 07:09:25 PM by iamnotback

So the miners having 51% mining power can decide the fork or any code any way. There is no moral hazard. There is no argument at all. You just need to convince the majority of the miners.

Somebody here actually understands PoW = miners are a "decentralized authority".

Ethereum miners have started voting in some pools on the "soft fork"...
The "soft fork" simply freezes all ETH transfers from the DAO contract (rendering the current "attacks" unprofitable)...
And there are roughly another 25 days left for miners to simply set a flag that locks up the DAO.

Ethpool is voting 99.4% in favor of a "soft fork" here:

http://ethpool.org/stats/votes

Looking at these numbers...
It's very likely miners will subsequently vote in a "hard fork" that will destroy the DAO... and return all ETH to investors.

Ethereum will not suffer from the same paralysis Bitcoin did post-Gox... and still does.

All the FUD you hear about "crypto purity" is from Bitcoin Maximalist Trolls...
Miners acting as a "decentralized authority" on ANY issue is at the heart of PoW.

Did they really act without political control driving their choice?

Vitalik et al are playing with fire as I pondered upthread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHcLKrkwPLQ#t=3864

Especially listen at 1:06:15! And listen at 1:11:15 where the attorney says Vitalik (et al) is creating dangerous legal liability for himself (themselves) by being the judge!

The likely party to be sued are those who can be identified and have a pot of money.

Vitalik just propose a change to the Etheruem protocol. It is the miners who will be responsible for the restoring the money from the theft.

The court may not agree that Vitalik has no political power. Considering how much all the mETH supporters prays at his feet, I'd say it is likely the court will find that Vitalik and his accomplices are significantly in control of the enterprise. But that is just my opinion as an observer. What do others think?

And remember that the attorney pointed out that each of the 1000s of plaintiffs can sue in any one of the 1000s of jurisdictions. Someone can find a favorable judge some where!!!

This is what I specifically warned about over the past months. I can even quote where I said that jurisdiction shopping would be a PITA because one would have to defend themselves against an unbounded number of threats.

As the attorney Pamela points out, this issue could have been significantly mitigated if their attorneys had advised them to add an arbitration clause to the TOS and also had more sobering disclosures on their TOS so that plaintiffs couldn't just choose willynilly to make any sort of claim of injury in any jurisdiction.

Who set up the legal structure for Ethereum et al?  They apparently suck!

What are you doing to crypto-currency? Who will support Ethereum as it becomes the 666 coin? The attorney explains that they open the ecosystem to subpoena power by doing this. And you support the moral hazard of rewarding n00bs for not doing due diligence instead of letting them suffer a 30% haircut.

Effectively MIT's 666 ChainAnchor proposal which can be used for enforcing KYC, is a blacklist coming to crypto-currency thanks to Ethereum and The DAO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHcLKrkwPLQ#t=2627  <--- a real attorney's explanation

Thanks Vitalik for enslaving us!

AnonyMint predicted this in 2013, Bitcoin : The Digital Kill Switch.
Juhagic

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 11:48:04 AM

So the miners having 51% mining power can decide the fork or any code any way. There is no moral hazard. There is no argument at all. You just need to convince the majority of the miners.

Somebody here actually understands PoW = miners are a "decentralized authority".

The "soft fork" simply freezes all ETH transfers from the DAO contract (rendering the current "attacks" unprofitable)...
And there are roughly another 25 days left for miners to simply set a flag that locks up the DAO.

It's very likely miners will subsequently vote in a "hard fork" that will destroy the DAO... and return all ETH to investors.

Ethereum will not suffer from the same paralysis Bitcoin did post-Gox... and still does.

Miners acting as a "decentralized authority" on ANY issue is at the heart of PoW.

Everybody has an agenda here. Otherwise why do you post here? Just to save the Ethereum community from being destroyed?
shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 11:54:15 AM

Article here where Vitalik Buterin acknowledges some of the ETH stolen on various other smart contracts. Apparently the problems that showed up in the DAO are wide spread.

https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/06/19/thinking-smart-contract-security/

BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 12:50:20 PM

It is getting worse. The DAOAttaker is playing with all the ethereum devs and staying one step ahead.

http://pastebin.com/9MRVDC9h

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Ladies and gentleman;

We come to you with great pleasure to now offer 2000% or 20x return contracts. You have to notify us before hand of the amount of tokens you wish to be multiplied and we will send you back a customized bytecode with a SIMPLE guide on how to successfully execute the contract and get your 2000% return from the DAO.

We accept payment in bitcoins or DAO tokens or ether;

Price Breakdown:
1) DAO token balance to multiply = 1,000 or less = 1BTC or 5,000 DAO or 50ETH
Potential Gain for Buyer - 200ETH

2) DAO token balance to multiply = 5,000 or less = 4BTC or 20k DAO, or 200 ETH
Potential Gain - 1000ETH

3) DAO token balance to multiply = 10,000 or less = 6BTC or 30k DAO, or  300ETH
Potential Gain for Buyer - 2000ETH

4) Anything above 10,000 will be considered by our team, and likely contain a decent premium or we may just likely reject it outright, this is aimed moreso at spreading the wealth to the smaller users, although it allows whales to do it as well, but in smaller increments.

**Send us an e-mail if you wish to complete this transaction; goldyloxx@sigaint.org**

**SERIOUS OFFER:

TL;DR

WE ARE SELLING CUSTOMIZED RECURSIVE CALL CONTRACTS OF THE DAO THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO MULTIPLY YOUR FUNDS BY 20X.

DISCLOSURE: WE HAVE HUNDREDS OF OUR OWN CONTRACTS DEPLOYED WAITING TO COMPLETE A FULL HEIST OF THE DAO, WE NEED OTHER USERS TO PARTICIPATE SO IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE HARD FORK TO REDISTRIBUTE FUNDS BACK
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJXZyLlAAoJEOr7aOGjIMncDsMH/ArUnU6GcAsVLkGBAduE08G+
AcKci986ehyzmC4XOPbhxtE2axxcOOQPjgeLgz6kfEHL1fiwfC5vQJZu3NQw2v/m
QZpd57KKAxZ245oz4pzJdkhM+3rqnG+JV9zow0vzp8vGGLOCpPLPL09JdsFWeL/H
qODyvPgj3TiKVpDZ9JhygrIBpOZbn3xi9j1yqEv/GDrB9wpDglz/L8egDOoQjLXB
zFabHIaha/4POEz6EdUGjeU3cA3eJpUYkU51mIRBkLDtwWo0JPxfdcsL4zELC6Ix
w4Bo3SjMJSqBDMZjC2HxXRm2VyC/iIfC4gSvmhDPq8sHm/Z8uQOt0sC01QMUXO4=
=vFi+

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

"We come to you with great pleasure to now offer 2000% or 20x return contracts."

I admit my math skills are old and rusty (similar to my physique); but, none of the price break downs seem to give the type of returns initially offered.
Koamder

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 01:07:22 PM

"We come to you with great pleasure to now offer 2000% or 20x return contracts."

I admit my math skills are old and rusty (similar to my physique); but, none of the price break downs seem to give the type of returns initially offered.

They are the thieves. They want to cheat us again. So I will not trust them. It is as simple as that. They said x20, it is actually x5 or less.
iamnotback

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 01:10:25 PM

Everybody has an agenda here. Otherwise why do you post here? Just to save the Ethereum community from being destroyed?

Of course, which was precisely my point.

Perhaps if you read smooth's explanation you will understand that miner's should have no voting power whatsoever, as that is the definition of Nash equilibrium, which provides the security of the concensus. In other words, no one should have enough political clout to break the Nash equilibrium and instigate a vote to fork.
iamnotback

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 01:34:30 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2016, 02:49:27 PM by iamnotback

It is getting worse. The DAOAttaker is playing with all the ethereum devs and staying one step ahead.

http://pastebin.com/9MRVDC9h

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Ladies and gentleman;

We come to you with great pleasure to now offer 2000% or 20x return contracts. You have to notify us before hand of the amount of tokens you wish to be multiplied and we will send you back a customized bytecode with a SIMPLE guide on how to successfully execute the contract and get your 2000% return from the DAO.

We accept payment in bitcoins or DAO tokens or ether;

Price Breakdown:
1) DAO token balance to multiply = 1,000 or less = 1BTC or 5,000 DAO or 50ETH
Potential Gain for Buyer - 200ETH

2) DAO token balance to multiply = 5,000 or less = 4BTC or 20k DAO, or 200 ETH
Potential Gain - 1000ETH

3) DAO token balance to multiply = 10,000 or less = 6BTC or 30k DAO, or  300ETH
Potential Gain for Buyer - 2000ETH

4) Anything above 10,000 will be considered by our team, and likely contain a decent premium or we may just likely reject it outright, this is aimed moreso at spreading the wealth to the smaller users, although it allows whales to do it as well, but in smaller increments.

**Send us an e-mail if you wish to complete this transaction; goldyloxx@sigaint.org**

**SERIOUS OFFER:

TL;DR

WE ARE SELLING CUSTOMIZED RECURSIVE CALL CONTRACTS OF THE DAO THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO MULTIPLY YOUR FUNDS BY 20X.

DISCLOSURE: WE HAVE HUNDREDS OF OUR OWN CONTRACTS DEPLOYED WAITING TO COMPLETE A FULL HEIST OF THE DAO, WE NEED OTHER USERS TO PARTICIPATE SO IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE HARD FORK TO REDISTRIBUTE FUNDS BACK
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJXZyLlAAoJEOr7aOGjIMncDsMH/ArUnU6GcAsVLkGBAduE08G+
AcKci986ehyzmC4XOPbhxtE2axxcOOQPjgeLgz6kfEHL1fiwfC5vQJZu3NQw2v/m
QZpd57KKAxZ245oz4pzJdkhM+3rqnG+JV9zow0vzp8vGGLOCpPLPL09JdsFWeL/H
qODyvPgj3TiKVpDZ9JhygrIBpOZbn3xi9j1yqEv/GDrB9wpDglz/L8egDOoQjLXB
zFabHIaha/4POEz6EdUGjeU3cA3eJpUYkU51mIRBkLDtwWo0JPxfdcsL4zELC6Ix
w4Bo3SjMJSqBDMZjC2HxXRm2VyC/iIfC4gSvmhDPq8sHm/Z8uQOt0sC01QMUXO4=
=vFi+

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

That is better, not worse.

What he has done is offered to drain the rest of the DAO into others' accounts for them in exchange for a fee. He is increasing his leverage over Vitalik. I expected him to do this, because he understands leverage as he had created MPeX. Vitalik is being revealed to be the ignorant/myopic fool he is. He will force Vitalik to plead with miners to do an emergency hard fork to stop the leverage, which will of course entirely destroy Vitalik's and Ethereum reputation.

I think it is important to note that anyone can start becoming a miner now, to avail of this lucrative offer. Checkmate Butalik! Thus the current vote is meaningless as it should be in Nash equilibrium. The DAO and Turing-complete smart contracts broke Nash equilibrium, as we had warned in the Ethereum Paradox thread.

He paused his contract and offered a 30% haircut for those n00bs who failed to do their due diligence, but the n00bs doubled-down on stoopid by voting for a fork and praying to Butalik, and so now they will lose everything and the clusterfuck will die.

And I expected this, because I know who the attacker enforcer is as I had explained in other posts.

I'm looking forward to the smart contract that guarantees a miner a million ETH for processing the "attacker" transactions. Someone will be bought. And I'll be ready with popped corn.

I agree. I doubt the attacker is done. He has a counter move. I know the attacker from past debates with him.

Those buying ETH at $12 are taking a risk. The carnage may not be over yet.

He is probably letting more fools go long (to maximize the lesson he is trying to teach them) before he renews his 2000 BTC shorts and attacks anew.

I wish you all could see this memes I made yesterday predicting this outcome:

ETH could easily go under $0.25 (less than 25 cents), and I am not attempting to buy cheap crap.

Then I will buy loads of ETH if that ever happens.

sadasa

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

Unpaid signature.

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 03:33:35 PM

If I am a miner, I will support the soft fork and freeze the stolen funds. If the DAO holders offer us 50% of the stolen funds, we will do a hard fork.

B2

BitDouble.io

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
onemd

Activity: 309
Merit: 118

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 04:41:49 PM

If I am a miner, I will support the soft fork and freeze the stolen funds. If the DAO holders offer us 50% of the stolen funds, we will do a hard fork.

If the miners can benefit from the hacking like this and the hacker does not benefit, he may think twice before his next hacking.

iamnotback

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 04:43:41 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2016, 04:56:40 PM by iamnotback

If the miners can benefit from the hacking like this and the hacker does not benefit, he may think twice before his next hacking.

Other miners will mine more profitably by accepting his offer and thus have a greater hashrate.

Checkmate. Your vote has been economically overridden.

Andreas and Emin getting frantic and grasping for straws:

https://twitter.com/el33th4xor/status/744769932739624960
bl234st

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 04:56:12 PM

Goodbye Ethereum.
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 05:03:24 PM

An attacker can short ETH as this one already has and walked away with 1-4 million USD. Therefore still has a strong incentive to attack all the many security holes and HF and blacklisting does nothing to stop this.

Perhaps one should focus on using secure block chains and not insecure ones ? Just some advice.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: