Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:56:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Average block size was 0.951 MB  (Read 3393 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 08:50:08 AM

ok increase block size isn't the solution, still how the block are right now isn't acceptable either

when the average will be so high that you need to pay always higher fee, to get in the priority list, it would kill the whole "bitcoin is cheaper than fiat" thing

also the spam problem can be counterattacked with the solution the litecoin dev has worked on to make the spammer pay more, far more than what it is currently for bitcoin
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 11:46:39 AM

ok increase block size isn't the solution, still how the block are right now isn't acceptable either

Why isn't that acceptable? For me it's perfectly acceptable, since I don't buy single lollipops expecting instant confirmation.

when the average will be so high that you need to pay always higher fee, to get in the priority list, it would kill the whole "bitcoin is cheaper than fiat" thing

The average is still extremely low for all ordinary transactions. Also the "Bitcoin is cheaper than fiat"-thing is not the main attraction factor of Bitcoin. Even if Bitcoin transactions would be significantly more costly than traditional methods, Bitcoin would have a huge user base, because it is more secure and not subject to devaluation and centralized control like fiat.

also the spam problem can be counterattacked with the solution the litecoin dev has worked on to make the spammer pay more, far more than what it is currently for bitcoin

It could indeed make sense to increase the fees for especially spammy transactions (low value, big datasize).

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 06:04:48 PM

I'm very much afraid of this. Not that I would mind paying some higher fees, I'm more worried about the share of BTC economy made of small transactions. I don't want, nobody wants BTC to evolve into a rich guys club only exchanging large sums and who don't mind paying substantial fees.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 06:55:38 PM

I'm very much afraid of this. Not that I would mind paying some higher fees, I'm more worried about the share of BTC economy made of small transactions. I don't want, nobody wants BTC to evolve into a rich guys club only exchanging large sums and who don't mind paying substantial fees.

Lightning Network is being designed to handle all of these small transactions, instantly, and with very small fees paid to LN Hub operators. Bitcoin is about the status quo, it doesn't really matter what you want, the status quo simply is, and that means small value transactions are priced out first as they can't fit.

If you are just too impatient to wait for LN and the soft forks to Bitcoin it requires... may I suggest Litecoin? or Dogecoin? perhaps Monero?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 06:57:02 PM

What are you on about? When Lauda said there is no "the mempool", he simply means that it's possible (actually more than likely) for nodes to have different mempools because they have different fee rules. For example, my mempool is typically less than 1MB and contains less than 1000 transactions. My node doesn't forward spam, so it rarely grows much larger than that (even during these spam attacks).

who cares?  there's still transactions not getting confirmed/processed/included-in-blocks (whatever you wanna call it).  thats the only point that matters.

An increasing number of people are realizing the path of failure core team is leading us down.

Neptunium

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 06:58:15 PM

I agree with you. The Bitcoin fee is already growing too big and makes Bitcoin look unappealing and inefficient.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 07:02:41 PM

Why isn't that acceptable? For me it's perfectly acceptable, since I don't buy single lollipops expecting instant confirmation.
Bitcoin was never designed for micro-transactions and as such will most likely not be the best solution for them (depending on what you define as a micro-transaction).

The average is still extremely low for all ordinary transactions. Also the "Bitcoin is cheaper than fiat"-thing is not the main attraction factor of Bitcoin. Even if Bitcoin transactions would be significantly more costly than traditional methods, Bitcoin would have a huge user base, because it is more secure and not subject to devaluation and centralized control like fiat.
It is pointless trying to tell this to some people. For example: Someone recently complained on r/btc about a TX fee of $50, for some TX that was over 4 KB (or 2000% bigger than normal). They pick out these weird examples and make it seem like the whole system is overly expensive (which it isn't).

I don't want, nobody wants BTC to evolve into a rich guys club only exchanging large sums and who don't mind paying substantial fees.
Nobody can prevent BTC from becoming more expensive unless you figure out a way that both defies spam and enables a high throughput. Hint: LN is the closest thing that we have for high throughput, and increasing the block size limit is trivial for these two things (neither does it defy spam nor enable high throughput).

I agree with you. The Bitcoin fee is already growing too big and makes Bitcoin look unappealing and inefficient.
If you are too cheap to pay 5-10 cents, you shouldn't complain about Bitcoin.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:11:26 PM

I don't want, nobody wants BTC to evolve into a rich guys club only exchanging large sums and who don't mind paying substantial fees.
Nobody can prevent BTC from becoming more expensive unless you figure out a way that both defies spam and enables a high throughput. Hint: LN is the closest thing that we have for high throughput, and increasing the block size limit is trivial for these two things (neither does it defy spam nor enable high throughput).

Well said as usual. Increasing the potential size of blocks would not enable higher throughput.

You don't demand to be able to afford to transfer and store London Good Delivery Bars of Gold (native Bitcoin network). You use a gold substitute cerificate, which can be settled with gold if ever necessary (Lightning Network).
tertius993

Activity: 1029
Merit: 712

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:16:36 PM

It's getting very annoying,2 days ago i sent a payment of 0.14 btc and it took about 3 hours to be confirmed.
This must be change asap otherwise it will hurt btc
No. Bitcoin is working as intended. Don't blame Bitcoin if: 1) You're cheap. 2) You don't know how to use it properly. I have yet to find someone that I know (which are mostly experienced members) that had "problems with this". Besides, Segwit is getting ready to be merged. The "awaited" capacity 'boost' will come with it.

When would you expect Segwit to actually be in place and delivering the "awaited" capacity 'boost' to the live network?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 07:18:05 PM

Well said as usual. Increasing the potential size of blocks would not enable higher throughput.
No. I said it is not able to provide "high throughput", not "higher". There's a huge difference. Unless of course, you consider 6 TPS to be "high throughput". In that case I can't help you.  Roll Eyes

When would you expect Segwit to actually be in place and delivering the "awaited" capacity 'boost' to the live network?
The miners decide how long it takes them to adopt it. I can't be the one to predict that accurately. I'd say somewhere in Q3/Q4 this year (if nothing goes severely wrong).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:28:09 PM

No. I said it is not able to provide "high throughput", not "higher". There's a huge difference. Unless of course, you consider 6 TPS to be "high throughput". In that case I can't help you.  Roll Eyes

As "high" is perfectly subjective, we can always be correct, clever. I may need to use this terminology instead of "higher", thanks for the correction.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 07:32:51 PM

As "high" is perfectly subjective, we can always be correct, clever. I may need to use this terminology instead of "higher", thanks for the correction.
It is indeed. However, "higher" throughput would also be anything > ~3 (which we currently have). I'd consider high throughput somewhere above what Visa does on average (which is 2000 TPS according to some sources).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tertius993

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:41:09 PM

The miners decide how long it takes them to adopt it. I can't be the one to predict that accurately. I'd say somewhere in Q3/Q4 this year (if nothing goes severely wrong).

But is that the point at which Segwit will start to deliver increased capacity?  From my reading (which may have misled me) I had understood that users actually had to send and receive Segwit transactions in order for it to provide that increase in capacity?  I was really wondering what was the (your) expectation for when we would be at that point?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2016, 07:43:23 PM

But is that the point at which Segwit will start to deliver increased capacity?  From my reading (which may have misled me) I had understood that users actually had to send and receive Segwit transactions in order for it to provide that increase in capacity?  I was really wondering what was the (your) expectation for when we would be at that point?
That is correct. As soon as some people use the updated client and interact with each other, we will see increased capacity. The more users use Segwit the more capacity the network 'will get'. This will reach a top somewhere around ~180% (or 1.8 MB of TX data).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4530

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:58:41 PM

lol lauda great stuff
It is indeed. However, "higher" throughput would also be anything > ~3 (which we currently have). I'd consider high throughput somewhere above what Visa does on average (which is 2000 TPS according to some sources).

for months you been saying transactions are mostly 226bytes which would equate to the 7tps(false assumption but you really loved bragging that 226 magic number alot). atleast now your admitting its more like 400-500 to be at about 3tps, finally some honesty without over selling.

however a 2mb as of 2015 would have headed off the bottlenecks(a few have occurred this year) and kept prices low due to lack of bottlenecks forcing prices up.. while offering 2x capacity potential
but instead we were left with code release delays, which have caused a tx bottleneck many times this year. and what is the future.. a max of 1.8x capacity potential and also, even funnier.. a fee discount to make spamming even cheaper.... now thats just funny..

oh nearly forgot
if you think nefarious spammers will use LN. you would be wrong. their intent it to spam the network not their local machines
and if you think that every genuine user will use LN to not need to worry about spam. you would be wrong in that respect too.
LN isnt useful to everyone, you would be surprised at how little the scenario's for usefulness LN have..(when thinking about real people as oppose to glossy leaflets of exaggeration)

wait. i can already sense you rebuttle. eg not needing to worry about settling because channels dont need to close that often.
well my reply would be to quote your anger that visa takes 1-3 days to fully settle.. because its the same thing. but with LN you think it should be 1month-never.. yep im laughing at that hypocrisy..

now although LN increases "authorizations"/"payments" to large numbers IF people are individually sending funds to the same destination multiples times. but the settling would make it worse then visa.(using your mindset)

REMEMBER: LN helps aggregate "regular spenders" to a lower number. its not really a solution for increased userbase of non regular spenders.

think outside the glossy leaflets you have been handed and look at the some real use case scenarios.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 10:44:18 PM

Lightning Network is being designed to handle all of these small transactions, instantly, and with very small fees paid to LN Hub operators. Bitcoin is about the status quo, it doesn't really matter what you want, the status quo simply is, and that means small value transactions are priced out first as they can't fit.

If you are just too impatient to wait for LN and the soft forks to Bitcoin it requires... may I suggest Litecoin? or Dogecoin? perhaps Monero?

I don't support micro-transactions. I think I've never done a single transaction which was worth less than $10. But there's a risk because of competition. What if some altcoin could perform faster and cheaper transactions than BTC? This is a market economy. BTC rules as of today, but many people, including myself, are looking at altcoins. Core developers should always have in mind that if BTC has a hiccup, there will be many altcoins ready, and willing to beat it.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4530

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 10:52:36 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2016, 11:03:03 PM by franky1

I don't support micro-transactions. I think I've never done a single transaction which was worth less than $10. But there's a risk because of competition. What if some altcoin could perform faster and cheaper transactions than BTC? This is a market economy. BTC rules as of today, but many people, including myself, are looking at altcoins. Core developers should always have in mind that if BTC has a hiccup, there will be many altcoins ready, and willing to beat it.

though true micro transactions are not a thing to think about for every day users (only for lets say google/advertisers). we do atleast have to think about bitcoin in regards to average users.
for instance lets treat the fee as a percentage..what is the minimum fee people are happy to pay..lets say its 1%.
if the fee when the blocks capacity bottlenecks increases, to lets say 20cents(happened many times already) then people would not want to buy items costing less than $20 because then the fee's would be more than1% and just like using visa/paypal

so now we are starting to cut off a certain demograph.. no longer is it just the $2 coffee concept no longer wanted in 2015, but now its the ram, memorysticks, iphone cases blueray movies industry that people dont want to be transacting on chain..

at a 40cents fee(also happened a few times already) we will be cutting off purchases below $40 due to regular users opinion that 1% fee is alot

some thoughts from the past based on bitcoiners centiment about microtransactions
micro transactions in 2009-2013 were deemed as under 1cent..
micro transactions in 2013-2016 were deemed as under $2..
micro transactions in 2016-20xx whats the next threshold to deem as not being worthy

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
tertius993

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 06:05:41 AM

But is that the point at which Segwit will start to deliver increased capacity?  From my reading (which may have misled me) I had understood that users actually had to send and receive Segwit transactions in order for it to provide that increase in capacity?  I was really wondering what was the (your) expectation for when we would be at that point?
That is correct. As soon as some people use the updated client and interact with each other, we will see increased capacity. The more users use Segwit the more capacity the network 'will get'. This will reach a top somewhere around ~180% (or 1.8 MB of TX data).

And so back to my original question - when is it expected that we will reach that "top" point?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2016, 06:23:17 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2016, 06:35:04 AM by Lauda

I think I've never done a single transaction which was worth less than $10. But there's a risk because of competition. What if some altcoin could perform faster and cheaper transactions than BTC? This is a market economy. BTC rules as of today, but many people, including myself, are looking at altcoins. Core developers should always have in mind that if BTC has a hiccup, there will be many altcoins ready, and willing to beat it.
If those altcoins had any desirable technology that is worth implementing into Bitcoin, it would be implemented. Nobody in their right mind cares about them besides traders who want to profit (excluding a few niche coins, e.g. for anonymity and such).

And so back to my original question - when is it expected that we will reach that "top" point?
Nobody can answer that question. They'd just be making guesses. As such, I can't answer this either.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tertius993

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:24:56 AM

Nobody can answer that question. They'd just be making guesses. As such, I can't answer this either.

And so offering up SegWit as a solution that will increase transaction capacity 1.8 fold is a little misleading don't you think? It may increase capacity by some (largely unknown but certainly less than 1.8x) amount at some (largely unknown) point in the future if it gets implemented and used.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: