Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:18:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding Pools and Mining  (Read 802 times)
megacrypto (OP)

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 07:49:49 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2016, 08:12:15 PM by megacrypto

its been now a couple of weeks in the mining world.. starting with a cpu ... then getting an amd 5450 card (trying to learn) ... then coming across a good priced r9 390x (so i picked it up) and what i got out of the r9 in 3 days exceeded what i got out of the cpu and the 5450 in two weeks !!! but now i would like to utilize it to the best i could, and today i came across 3 different monero pools that made me wonder (gorillapool , atithasos, and xmr-pool) they are all newly founded pools (gorilla is just me i guess and one other miner with no blocks found so far!!!) the thing is, i keep submitting hashes and im thinking ... what the hell am i doing?!

so, my question is, and if someone could explain it in very simple words, how do pools work? or mining for that matter?

now if i run my own node (bitmonerod) and then run a miner connected to that node...

what exactly is happening? and what are all these shares that i keep submitting, if its not of a found block?

is it solving shares first, and they would construct a block?

or is it finding a block first, and then trying to solve all its hashes?

and where are the pools getting these shares from?

i know that this is the core of the mining world, and that i should by now have figured it out, but since mining has been going on for some while now, so most of the articles and discussions have already surpassed these basic points that one can not find a very simple walk through (not simple to level of run a node, run a miner, find a block, get reward) and also not too complicated (like going into what algorithm is being used, and clock speeds, and all these other zillion settings that the advanced users discuss)

thank you to anyone who can take the time to help simplify the process to me, but not over simplify Smiley

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ZEROSTATEEMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE                                   ● INSTAGRAMFACEBOOK TWITTER
POWERED BY BLOCKCHAIN                                         ● MEDIUMANN THREAD
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 12:48:18 AM

Are you specifically trying to mine Monero?

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
megacrypto (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 05:54:48 AM

Are you specifically trying to mine Monero?

i guess like most, not settled yet on something, but i mined BCN when i was using the 5450, and now Im mining monero (which takes around 3 days on a pool to get like half an xmr) and i also mined ETC for a few days (also took like 3 days for 1 ETC) ... so im guess im still shopping Smiley)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ZEROSTATEEMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE                                   ● INSTAGRAMFACEBOOK TWITTER
POWERED BY BLOCKCHAIN                                         ● MEDIUMANN THREAD
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BTC_ISTANBUL

Activity: 331

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 07:12:47 AM

You can try dual mining on Coinotron.On the other hand keep an eye on the diffuculty of the coins and mine it for the price movement in near future.

Do not mine at small pools unless you have enough Mh for solo mining.
Gohs

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

send &receive money instantly with no hidden cost

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 07:18:57 AM

While you are out shopping, you might want to give ethereum a try.

megacrypto (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 07:39:42 AM

I had a few shares scattered here and there from mining with the 5450 so I'm trying to complete their minimum payout ... and I just installed get last night and trying to figure out how to run my own node

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

Mzie

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 06:25:16 AM

on your cpu , were u mining solo or on a pool?
ricku

Activity: 210

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 08:05:51 AM

There are many issues with pools and mining, first does it mean that your hash rates is not showing, it is not accurate or you have not seen any coin in your account since you have been mining ?

megacrypto (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 01:31:10 PM

There are many issues with pools and mining, first does it mean that your hash rates is not showing, it is not accurate or you have not seen any coin in your account since you have been mining ?

no .. not at all .. i was just trying to figure out how the pools (or mining in general) work ... thats all Smiley

although, i thought i would run a node and try solo mining (mining on my local node) and selected EXP for that, so i downloaded the blockchain and started mining and after a few hours i found a block, only to discover that the address i used on the node (ethbase) its keystore file disappeared and i cant figure out how to open that wallet ... so i created a new address and now its been two days and nothing!! not a single block ... a bit frustrating, but it might have been beginners luck Smiley