Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:01:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: You found 90 coins in your wallet. A guy explains in this forum how he sent it by mistake.You respond by:
sending the coins back to one of originating addresses that the dude controls
keeping the coins

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: would you return found money to the proven original owner who lost it?  (Read 1819 times)
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:43:46 AM

I will keep all of them. I'm much poorer than 90% of people here.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:16:54 AM

How about a third option? Enlightened self interest Tongue
But seriously, I would look at whether the person needed it. If some corporation or rich did it, i'm not inclined to return it as I likely need it more than they do. If however it was just some dude who messed up, and actually needs the money, yeah I'd return it.
The answer you're looking for is "keeping the coins".
Your decision whether to make a charitable donation or not based on your evaluation of the sender, is unrelated.

Why do you think this is so?  Taking $1000 from somebody who makes $1000 a month and can't buy food if it isn't returned is of course an entirely different moral situation than taking that $1000 from somebody who makes $20000 a month and to whom it would be merely a minor inconvenience.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:18:12 AM

One time bitmit accidentally payed me twice for the same sale and i sent the money back =).

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:22:20 AM

i dont see how your station in life is of any relevance to the question at hand. Right and wrong dont flip on their head simply because you are poor. Lets be clear im not saying you shouldnt keep the coins or anything, im just saying that there is no good reason why being poor or wealthy should effect the situation.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:26:27 AM

I would return it ofcourse.
In fact I already did it 2 times to the same dude/site.
The most recent was yesterday.
I charge 12% to return bitcoins received by mistake. <-- This is my incentive for the person/service to get their act together if they don't want me to keep 12% of their funds every time they send me coins by mistake.
mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:54:34 AM

I once found a wallet at a pub with apparently over £300 in. I didn't hesitate but gave the bar owner my phone number so the owner could contact me. While doing this the owner of the wallet phoned, and later I was happy to hand it to him. I got a £5 bottle of wine, the cheapest the pub had, for my trouble. My wife was vitriolic, I should have taken the money and left she said, but I would do exactly the same again even if no reward.

I would like to live in a society where I think there is a chance, even a small one of people doing the right thing, of me getting my money back if I am stupid enough to loose it. By doing the right thing myself, I can beleive in that, and that massively increases my pleasure in living, its as simple as that. I'd rather be the guy who returned the wallet than live with the fact that next time I loose something the person will probably just run off with it. Of course, thats probably the case and is not altered by me handing back the wallet, but I would prefer to believe that it isn't!

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 02:35:47 PM

How about a third option? Enlightened self interest Tongue
But seriously, I would look at whether the person needed it. If some corporation or rich did it, i'm not inclined to return it as I likely need it more than they do. If however it was just some dude who messed up, and actually needs the money, yeah I'd return it.
The answer you're looking for is "keeping the coins".
Your decision whether to make a charitable donation or not based on your evaluation of the sender, is unrelated.

Why do you think this is so?  Taking $1000 from somebody who makes $1000 a month and can't buy food if it isn't returned is of course an entirely different moral situation than taking that $1000 from somebody who makes $20000 a month and to whom it would be merely a minor inconvenience.
No, it is no different.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:23:22 PM

i dont see how your station in life is of any relevance to the question at hand. Right and wrong dont flip on their head simply because you are poor. Lets be clear im not saying you shouldnt keep the coins or anything, im just saying that there is no good reason why being poor or wealthy should effect the situation.
If I'm rich enough to get 90 coins effortlessly and they don't change much in my life, I will most likely send them back if the person asks me.

In my current situation the 90 coins will change everything. It will be turning point in life. Will never send them back.

niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 06:08:57 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 06:35:15 PM by niko

If I'm rich enough to get 90 coins effortlessly and they don't change much in my life, I will most likely send them back if the person asks me.

In my current situation the 90 coins will change everything. It will be turning point in life. Will never send them back.
After some thinking, I've decided that the most respectable answer to me is "it depends" - assuming you honestly and selflessly consider your own and the other party's position. This is more respectable then those of us who chose to have it "algorithmically" decided for us by some universal moral code. Deciding for yourself means you take responsibility and freedom to decide. Of course, the least respectable answer for me now is "it depends" by those who just say that as an excuse to keep the coins, no matter what.

It's too late to introduce "it depends" in this survey, but I'd change my "return the coins" vote into "it depends". Having said that, it's hard for me to think of any realistic examples where I'd decide to keep the coins. I mean, Monsanto or Madeleine Albright or The Vatican Bank or Trafigura are far from using and losing bitcoins, right? Wink  

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 06:15:30 PM

Based on that logic, there's no reason you wouldn't murder someone for the 'right' amount of compensation. There is a possibility of indirectly causing someone's death by keeping found money.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 06:16:00 PM

I did sent back 69 coins to Inaba once.

wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 06:16:04 PM

Do you mind me asking where you live? $4000 is not a whole crap load of money to most Americans. It may give them a short live shopping spree but it wouldn't change their life...

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 08:53:47 PM

Based on that logic, there's no reason you wouldn't murder someone for the 'right' amount of compensation. There is a possibility of indirectly causing someone's death by keeping found money.
Probably You are right. I'm absolute beginner with murders so probably I will leave these kinds of job to professionals. It is much like bomb defusing, you can only make mistake once.

And some trolls in past made unstable people to commit suicide over internet. Even no money was involved, they did it for fun. Not everyone will be comfortable with it but it is how life and internet works.
Will he send back all coins when BFL scam will end?
Do you mind me asking where you live? $4000 is not a whole crap load of money to most Americans. It may give them a short live shopping spree but it wouldn't change their life...
I did some bitcoin sells and purchases when the price was low. I exchanged my new desktop computer brought by bitcoins to high-end laptop for increased mobility. Sold the laptop to spend money on my girlfriend. Girlfriend rejected me. My 4 years old workhorse desktop died. My backup desktop computer was destroyed when the place it was kept caught fire and then was flooded by fireman. Now I'm without secure and powerful computer to work on and earn money. No adequate computer no Bitcoins for me.

wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:34:41 PM

I did some bitcoin sells and purchases when the price was low. I exchanged my new desktop computer brought by bitcoins to high-end laptop for increased mobility. Sold the laptop to spend money on my girlfriend. Girlfriend rejected me. My 4 years old workhorse desktop died. My backup desktop computer was destroyed when the place it was kept caught fire and then was flooded by fireman. Now I'm without secure and powerful computer to work on and earn money. No adequate computer no Bitcoins for me.

That sounds more to me like you're a kid without a job and an exception of the world owes you. And that you are in the USA.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:46:29 PM

Will he send back all coins when BFL scam will end?

Yeah well...when I wrote that I asked myself for a second: Who is gonna be the first asshole to try to derail this into a BFL issue?

I sent those coins to Inaba@EMC, BFL has nothing to do with this.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:52:15 PM

MisteryMiner, you should try working on construction. You know, bricklayer. I bet you'll get a new laptop in no time.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:12:54 PM

That sounds more to me like you're a kid without a job and an exception of the world owes you. And that you are in the USA.
Not a kid but still jobless. Economy here is seriously fucked up and the government in Orwellian style continue to say that crisis is over and things are improving, the unemployment levels are lowering and so on. In reality crisis have become deeper, nothing is improving at all and unemployment levels are reduced because after few months being unemployed the unemployed status is lost and these people dont show up in statistics. Also many have left the country for better life in other parts of EU and they also dont show up in statistics.

I understand that my current situation is my fault and gross mismanagement of computer backup plans.
MisteryMiner, you should try working on construction. You know, bricklayer. I bet you'll get a new laptop in no time.
Lets see. 450$ per month for full time job in construction. All living expenses about 350$ per month now. How much time it will take to get 2000$ laptop?

And there is no jobs in construction right now. All builders have left for work in UK and Germany.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: