Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:26:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC disappeared from my wallet????  (Read 881 times)
freebeer2go (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:13:13 AM

I'm really new at Bitcoin, I just bought some BTCs and made a transfer a few minutes ago into my wallet, but now they seems to have all disappeared from my wallet?? and I receive this message at my client "chain fork, stop mining on version 0.8"?? and also my client isn't updating blocks.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zooey

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:33:33 AM

There is an emergency in the Bitcoin protocol right at this time.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2013/03/breaking-blockchain-has-forked.html

Stay calm, don't panic.

✘ www.NOTFORSALECAMPAIGN.org ✘
Human trafficking enslaves 30 million people: Join the movement to re-abolish slavery. | A 05:49s Vimeo |
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:36:01 AM

I'm really new at Bitcoin, I just bought some BTCs and made a transfer a few minutes ago into my wallet, but now they seems to have all disappeared from my wallet?? and I receive this message at my client "chain fork, stop mining on version 0.8"?? and also my client isn't updating blocks.

Did it really disappear or just did it revert back to unconfirmed?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

gamelife859

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:39:53 AM

Did it really disappear or just did it revert back to unconfirmed?

what I put in the wallet disappeared, also the transaction I can't find it anymore too.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:48:40 AM

The original post lacked info for "regular users".  Here it is:

(1) If you are a "regular user" (not a miner), the best thing is to do nothing and wait a couple hours.  Upgrading, downgrading, whining, FUD, etc, will make no difference.
(2) If you are a "regular user", you don't need to upgrade downgrade or anything.  Just chill out
(3) Regardless of who you are, your transactions are not dead, your coins are not lost.  They will just temporarily be held up.  If you sent a transaction within the last few hours, it may take a few more hours before it's sorted out.
(4) If you insist on processing transactions right now it's probably best to wait 20+ confirmations.  It's just due diligence though ... an attacker would still need a tremendous amount of mining power, quick thinking, and a victim willing to part with a lot of BTC.
(5) By tomorrow this will be in the past and everything will appear to be normal again.  If you slept through this, you'd never know that anything happend (except for the price drop).

Let me reiterate, your coins are not at risk, your transactions are not lost.  It'll just take some time for the network to "iron itself out."  Everything will be okay.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:34:29 AM

what I put in the wallet disappeared, also the transaction I can't find it anymore too.

Ok, if your v0.8 client is sync'd it should now show everything correctly.  Did the problem resolve itself?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █