Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:24:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition whitehouse.gov?  (Read 2213 times)
coga (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

www.btcbuy.info

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 04:27:42 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2013, 05:07:24 PM by coga

Lets not kid ourselves - we are under attack. Our only recourse is screaming and yelling as loud as we possibly can. I wonder if someone with legal skills could draft petition we could submit to whitehouse.gov in response to recent FinCEN encroachment

Key points could be:

- US government didn't create bitcoin, we the global community of people did. US government has no right to regulate it
- Bitcoin was made specifically with the purpose of government not being able to (sorry for my french) fuck with it. We want this purpose to be respected
- Same is valid for most of other virtual currencies
- Therefore we are asking government to step back and stop messing with people's currency. USA has their own currency, so regulate it all you want, leave us alone

UPDATE: I feel like the discussion digresses towards "should otr should this not be done?". I opened this thread for those who are oppose this idea, or want to discuss if it's productive. I would like current thread to be about actually doing it.

GPG key: 6F8E305690A05365B58C50A

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:39:45 PM

Lets not kid ourselves - we are under attack. Our only recourse is screaming and yelling as loud as we possibly can. I wonder if someone with legal skills could draft petition we could submit to whitehouse.gov in response to recent FinCEN encroachment

Key points could be:

- US government didn't create bitcoin, we the global community of people did. US government has no right to regulate it
- Bitcoin was made specifically with the purpose of government not being able to (sorry for my french) fuck with it. We want this purpose to be respected
- Therefore we are asking government to step back and stop messing with people's currency. USA has their own currency, so regulate it all you want, leave us alone

Your rights have been under attack for decades.  Why would the US Gov ignore bitcoin when they start losing tax revenue?   

serchanto

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 04:43:59 PM

Key points could be:

Your rights have been under attack for decades.  Why would the US Gov ignore bitcoin when they start losing tax revenue?   

They wouldn't, unless maybe if there is a lot of public outcry.  I second the petition idea.

stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:50:42 PM

I would say just the opposite of OP.  Absolutely do not sign or even start a petition regarding BTC.

Isn't the whole point of BTC to have an independent way of conducting business without government intervention?  Petitioning the government is like asking them for legitimacy.  Who needs that?  BTC is its own thing.

"Ourselves Alone"

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:59:42 PM

Stop asking for permission. It only encourages them.
coga (OP)

www.btcbuy.info

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 05:00:46 PM

They wouldn't, unless maybe if there is a lot of public outcry.  I second the petition idea.

Yeah, exactly. You cannot fight them with violence. But they depend on public support. The only way they would possibly back off is if there is a risk to lose public support.

deadweasel

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:12:19 PM

Stop asking for permission. It only encourages them.

"Stop asking for permission. It only encourages them."  +1

Bitcoin was made to run under the worst of conditions -- even if made illegal.  We need not petition anybody. 

tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:27:55 PM

Yeah, exactly. You cannot fight them with violence. But they depend on public support. The only way they would possibly back off is if there is a risk to lose public support.

How we cant fight them? You dont know what our history is? It is filled with aristocrats or politics hung on trees or cut with saw by angry people. They forgot we can do this even now if they push us too hard.

stevegee58
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:56:16 PM

I'm still trying to understand what OP's issue is he's so upset about.  The government can't control or shut down BTC.

The only thing they can really control is conversion to/from fiat currencies.  In my view that's actually a good thing.  It'll force BTC users to stop viewing BTC in reference to the USD or EUR and start thinking in terms of BTC as a medium of exchange for goods and services.

deadweasel

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:57:21 PM

I'm still trying to understand what OP's issue is he's so upset about.  The government can't control or shut down BTC.

The only thing they can really control is conversion to/from fiat currencies.  In my view that's actually a good thing.  It'll force BTC users to stop viewing BTC in reference to the USD or EUR and start thinking in terms of BTC as a medium of exchange for goods and services.

+1

Bitzing

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:49:38 PM

This is pretty much what is going to sustain and rise the value. These are all time high's reaching $95 but wait till hits mainstream hard and we will be wishing we stacked out coin.
coga (OP)

www.btcbuy.info

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 08:24:33 PM

OP is upset that he will likely to end up closing the business it took him so much time to build

stevegee58
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:34:45 PM

OP is upset that he will likely to end up closing the business it took him so much time to build

Well don't panic yet.  Money changers have been around for millennia and won't go away overnight.

Successful businesses are adaptable.  You've have to stay on top of the regulatory landscape to stay in business.

Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 03:30:38 PM

Successful businesses are adaptable.  You've have to stay on top of the regulatory landscape to stay in business.

While this is true, the regulatory landscape for money transmitters is quite intense. For a small sole proprietorship, it is nearly impossible to put the money up for registration federally and in 47 states, legal counsel fees, hiring an AML compliance officer, yearly third party testing of the AML policy, and bi- yearly renewal.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 03:48:38 PM

But OP's proposition points are ridiculous. The government didn't create a lot of things that it rightfully regulates. I'm not advocating the regulation of bitcoin, but it is inevitable. Especially when you are exchanging it for money that the government did create.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 11:05:20 PM

This should go in the USA section  Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: