Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:46:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Community brainpan - please discuss and debate desirable features for a miner  (Read 5724 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 12:24:46 AM

<snip>
I am definitely in favor of monolithic heatsinks, but I also suggest that double-siding should get better heat transfer to air which should result in quieter fans. However, I'm not a mechanical engineer or heat transfer guy so I don't have the numbers to back that up, it's just an intuition.<snip>

The single problem with mono heatsinks as usually done (on the back of a board) is one of thermal transfer. If a chips is dissipating more than 10-15w then great care has to be taken regarding thermal vias and contact bumps on the board/heat sink interface to make sure enough heat can flow from the chip through the board/vias to the sinks. Even if done properly a naked chip is still going to run a fair bit hotter than one with a topside heat sink which in turn will directly set what the maximum speed/Vcore can be.

Now maybe if the chips can be mounted on one side of the board and all other components in the other to allow a single large heatsink contacting the tops of the chips-- that could work as it takes the boards thermal resistance right out of the picture.

Trying to heatsink a chip THROUGH the board is just a nightmare of inefficiency. VERY VERY bad idea.

On the other hand, trying to get multichips to make good contact with a single HS on top of them isn't fun either - but it's a TON more efficient when you can get it to work.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 01:01:15 AM

That's another reason why I like the idea of heatsinks on both sides. As long as all the chips start out coplanar, the one heatsink will keep them pressed flat and tight to the other. I know some people complained about S5 because the boards could warp due to screw placement and some chips wouldn't make good contact. That's a lot less of a problem with a good sandwich.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 01:46:12 AM

Yeah, both side nice SOLID heatsinks would tend to help with making good reliable thermal contact long-term.

Might be a little more expensive, but heatsinks don't cost all THAT much.

That reminds me - why do you keep specifying you are locked into the "1 kilowatt power consumption" ballpark on the design?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 02:30:01 AM

Yeah, both side nice SOLID heatsinks would tend to help with making good reliable thermal contact long-term.

Might be a little more expensive, but heatsinks don't cost all THAT much.

That reminds me - why do you keep specifying you are locked into the "1 kilowatt power consumption" ballpark on the design?

Based on the below quote from the OP

possible features for a consumer-grade miner

I would say that 1KW is the target because the design is for a consumer-grade miner and 1KW is a sweet spot for those folks operating on 110V PSUs. I could be wrong though and I am sure sidehack will correct me if am. Tongue

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 04:09:11 AM

It's been mentioned a couple times, but this is not my project. Basically, I have been asked to oversee design and when I say "those attributes are fixed" what I mean is "those attributes are fixed by the person footing the bill". Y'all know I'd rather see something sub-500W, and my own projects will be.

Actually ... the overarching project specific to this thread is more I am helping some people ... it'll be me doing a job for someone else ...
This will not be a GekkoScience product

what's been requested is a 10TH miner, so if the assumption is current-gen chips in the 0.1J/GH neighborhood, then the assumption is 1KW at stock settings.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
in2tactics

Activity: 578

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 04:47:20 AM

It's been mentioned a couple times, but this is not my project. Basically, I have been asked to oversee design and when I say "those attributes are fixed" what I mean is "those attributes are fixed by the person footing the bill". Y'all know I'd rather see something sub-500W, and my own projects will be.

Actually ... the overarching project specific to this thread is more I am helping some people ... it'll be me doing a job for someone else ...
This will not be a GekkoScience product

what's been requested is a 10TH miner, so if the assumption is current-gen chips in the 0.1J/GH neighborhood, then the assumption is 1KW at stock settings.

Well, I stand corrected. I need to pay more attention to which thread I am posting in because you have a lot of miner related threads. Smiley

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 05:20:01 AM

This is the only miner design one I've started in a long time. I have sorta laid claim to the Community Miner Development thread, but it's technically kilo17's home turf.

This has been a good one though, for sure.

Mr. Kashif

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2016, 09:00:51 PM

Why does this thread seem to be asleep? Huh
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2016, 09:12:56 PM

Maybe everything's been said that needs to be?

Mr. Kashif

Activity: 99

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 07:36:35 PM

most of it.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:58:55 PM

Why does this thread seem to be asleep? Huh

Cause we all got our chips & are already building our miners!!!  Tongue  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Gahs

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Minter

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 02:26:18 PM

1.) An integrated controller will conserve space.
2.) A generic bus would be nice
3.) Hashboards having sub-controllers
4.) If there is a way to control clock speed so as to reduce the noise level; you'd sell out fast
5.) If there is a way to reduce heat output; you'd be in constant demand.

Minter                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█

▄█████▄   ▄▄
▐█▄           ▄███████████▀
████▄▄       ▐█████████████▀
████████▄▄   ▐████████████
 ████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████████████
 ▀███████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████
   ████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄▄▄█████████████▀
  ▀▀█████████▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 02:37:27 PM

That's pretty much what I came to as well. Additionally, notes 4 and 5 (assuming "heat" is derived more from adjusting core voltage than clock) are mandatory requirements.

HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2016, 07:17:25 PM

I don't know if this info is useful at all, but I found BM1387 chips listed at Bitmain.
They won't appear in your shopping cart though if you try to add them  Grin
https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020160824025047591cu3134LW063E

HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 07:21:57 PM

I don't know if this info is useful at all, but I found BM1387 chips listed at Bitmain.
They won't appear in your shopping cart though if you try to add them  Grin
https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020160824025047591cu3134LW063E

11$ each
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2016, 07:24:57 PM

There is plenty of other items listed as well here https://www.bitmaintech.com/bitcoin.htm

isoneguy

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 10:34:49 AM

From my personal opinion...the most important design specs for small scale mining devices are as follows:

1. quiet (large scale mines can easily use loud data center equipment)
2. portable (heavy devices that cost 200$ to ship lose value quickly)
3. chain-able using easily replaceable and common connectors (usb or cat5/6 like the silverfish)
4. cheap non miner components (i don't want to replace a 50$ proprietary part to use a 20$ miner)
5. easily controlled, either a built in controller or a raspi/pc controller option
6. WiFi option (either built in or optional on the controller)
7. stack-able (connect small modules together to make a bigger robot)
8. decently made (I don't want it falling apart before it gives me a chance to use it)
9. easily powered using an existing powering method (usb, 6pin pci, or 12v barrel plugs)
10. variable clock speed/voltage
11. future proof blade design/re-useable case (it would be nice to be able to upgrade the blade with more efficient chips in the future. This way you don't have to discard 20% of the cost of the miner after the end of life period.)
12. worked on by gekkoscience
13. other awesome un-contemplated features.
Dank14

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 12:07:31 PM

I quite agree that a miner should be quiet and portable, should not occupy too much space but most importantly is the price of a new miner... it is possible to make budget miners for those on a tight budget?
Eagleone

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 05:44:40 PM

Hi all,

Call me crazy but I want a KNOB, is that too much to ask?
Control buck converter, core clock, and fan speeds on 6+ miners with a thermal override so as to avaoid hard shutdowns like the s7

Rackmountable, I want to start colocating these things so a clean rack apearance is a must (6U or W.E. works)

- string of miners off a PI would be a must
- wifi is cool
- 5 or 10 pcie sockets, 1200 watts maximum so we can use the little HP guys you sell, maybe 750 so that 2 could hook up to an ant miner psu.

My machines live in liscence grow ops in Detroit and The Bay

Detroit is 3 cents For primary hook ups and we have TONS of space

Trueco2oil.com that's me and we don't steal anything

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 02:30:25 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2016, 01:13:38 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Hi all,

Call me crazy but I want a KNOB, is that too much to ask?
Control buck converter, core clock, and fan speeds on 6+ miners with a thermal override so as to avaoid hard shutdowns like the s7

Rackmountable, I want to start colocating these things so a clean rack apearance is a must (6U or W.E. works)

- string of miners off a PI would be a must
- wifi is cool
- 5 or 10 pcie sockets, 1200 watts maximum so we can use the little HP guys you sell, maybe 750 so that 2 could hook up to an ant miner psu.

My machines live in liscence grow ops in Detroit and The Bay

Detroit is 3 cents For primary hook ups and we have TONS of space

Trueco2oil.com that's me and we don't steal anything
3-cents eh? Hmm. I have 7 semi-retired s7's using Sidehack under-volt/clock mod that pull 930w each and I'm Detroit area. Care to host them? Calc says @ 3 cents they would be good for $1.65 per-day each after deduct for power cost. For that matter, if they can go to a good home...

Trueco2.com - Wonder if Chronic Releaf here carries you? Last few oils I got are from Illuminati Extracts (also CO2 process).

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: