Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:04:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the forums source code available somewhere?  (Read 876 times)
jsmit332 (OP)

Activity: 792
Merit: 1001

Video editing • Animated GIFs • Graphic Design

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 05:38:52 PM

I was wondering if the source code of this forum was available to download somewhere so i can set up a forum like this on a web server. I know this forum is SMF but theymos has made a lot of custom changes and i wanted to know if i could get this specific version of SMF from somewhere.

I need it so specific because i offer ANN thread design and need to set up a sand box for work in progress threads. With other versions of SMF sometimes the way images are handled in posts are different to how it is on this forum.

Could anyone help?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Karolus

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 06:30:37 PM

Well, this is awkward. I posted a response but then figured out it doesn't adequately answer your question about the specific version. So, anyway... Those bitcoins are interesting, huh?
jsmit332 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 06:33:54 PM

The forum software is provided by a nonprofit called Simple Machines. It's open source. Read this as your homework assignment:

http://www.simplemachines.org/about/opensource.php

http://www.simplemachines.org/about/sitemap.php

Thanks for your reply. As i said in my post earlier i know it is SMF but this version has a lot of custom features which sometimes change how posts appear.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2016, 07:32:21 PM

As far as I'm aware of, the custom changes made by theymos are not open-source.

I need it so specific because i offer ANN thread design and need to set up a sand box for work in progress threads. With other versions of SMF sometimes the way images are handled in posts are different to how it is on this forum.
What are you exactly trying to do (i.e. what's the problem)?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2016, 07:33:09 PM

As far as I'm aware, theymos hasn't released the forums custom plugin code anywhere, yet. It might be released once the new version is out of beta and implemented. Others have asked this before, and no one found anything. I doubt it changed. For your thread designing, couldn't you just work on the design in a post here, and use the preview button to see what it would look like. Don't post it though, and copy the code to a .txt document so you can come back to it. Seems easier to me.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
jsmit332 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 07:43:27 PM

As far as I'm aware of, the custom changes made by theymos are not open-source.

What are you exactly trying to do (i.e. what's the problem)?

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes if i am making a thread where the image covers the whole width of the post sometimes on regular SMF it will introduce side scrolling within the post whereas this forum resizes the images and makes it so that there is never and side scrolling.

I would also like something similar to the image size proxy which prevents certain images on this forum though i rarely go over the file size limit it would just be a nice feature to have.
jsmit332 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 07:47:42 PM

As far as I'm aware, theymos hasn't released the forums custom plugin code anywhere, yet. It might be released once the new version is out of beta and implemented. Others have asked this before, and no one found anything. I doubt it changed. For your thread designing, couldn't you just work on the design in a post here, and use the preview button to see what it would look like. Don't post it though, and copy the code to a .txt document so you can come back to it. Seems easier to me.

Thanks for your reply. I have already posted on here in a post within one of my threads as a sand box for ANN threads however recently a few clients have not been very comfortable with it being on the public bitcointalk website as there is still a chance people could see WIP ANN threads despite my efforts. Currently i run SMF on a web server where i as the admim make all the user accounts for clients and make it so they can only see their products.

After doing that i thought it would be good if i could get the software identical to bitcointalk for a perfect sandbox. I want to do this because i think an exclusive sandbox is better for clients as they can leave comments as the thread is being made in the sandbox and it is a little more professional than having a sandbox randomly in a post somewhere in his forum.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2016, 07:49:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes if i am making a thread where the image covers the whole width of the post sometimes on regular SMF it will introduce side scrolling within the post whereas this forum resizes the images and makes it so that there is never and side scrolling.
You can just use the 'Preview' function to verify whether the size is appropriate. Additionally, it is easy to adjust the width using this example (200px width):
Code:
[img width=200][/img]

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jsmit332 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 08:09:43 PM

You can just use the 'Preview' function to verify whether the size is appropriate. Additionally, it is easy to adjust the width using this example (200px width):
Code:
[img width=200][/img]

Thanks again. The thing is though i dont have to do that on bitcointalk to prevent side scrolling and im not sure why but on SMF sometimes some wired side scrolling seems to happen
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2016, 08:33:11 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2016, 09:21:35 PM by DarkStar_

-snip-
Thanks for your reply. I have already posted on here in a post within one of my threads as a sand box for ANN threads however recently a few clients have not been very comfortable with it being on the public bitcointalk website as there is still a chance people could see WIP ANN threads despite my efforts.
You don't need to post the actual post. Click reply on a thread, work on the thread design while using preview to see your work. Once your done/tired, copy the code to a text document to come back to it. No one will see your work then, except for the admins since they have access to your drafts (I assume). Won't be there on the public bitcointalk.

gif in case you got confused: (ignore the new tab opening at the start)

taking a break - expect delayed responses
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 09:34:46 PM

Click "preview".

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
jsmit332 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 10:03:34 PM

Thanks for the responses. But i need to show people the progress of the ANN threads and show them the completed thread before they pay. I sort of wanted to have an area where clients could leave comments and see the threads progress as it is made. etc. That's why i wanted to do this as well.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2016, 10:05:58 PM

Thanks for the responses. But i need to show people the progress of the ANN threads and show them the completed thread before they pay. I sort of wanted to have an area where clients could leave comments and see the threads progress as it is made. etc. That's why i wanted to do this as well.

I doubt Theymos would release his custom code, as it would open possible holes in the security.

Also, not to be insulting, but you are aware the new forum is launching soon?  It is open source.  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
jsmit332 (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 04:16:32 PM

I doubt Theymos would release his custom code, as it would open possible holes in the security.

Also, not to be insulting, but you are aware the new forum is launching soon?  It is open source.  Smiley

I know there is a beta that is out now but have not been keeping up with when it is actually out.
krunox123

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

I don't bite.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2016, 05:46:20 PM

But i need to show people the progress of the ANN threads and show them the completed thread before they pay.
Well, did you know what consequences might occur if you show them the actual/completed thread? They will just copy your thread, and you will not be paid aka scam. (Unless the fund has been escrowed.)

I sort of wanted to have an area where clients could leave comments and see the threads progress as it is made. etc. That's why i wanted to do this as well.
Can't you just send a screenshot of the entire thread via PM or email or anything?
Or... I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can create the thread in the Archival board.

Life sucks.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 10:34:10 PM

As mentioned (more then) a couple times, the full source code including the custom (security) features are not public. I believe this is due to the SMF license due to theymos using the not-most-recent version of SMF.

Hopefully the full code (including the security countermeasures) will be public when the new forum goes officially public because if there is some security hole, then the chances are higher that someone will alert theymos/the public about it so the security hole can be fixed/patched. If security countermeasures are not public, then the chances are higher that someone will find a hole, exploit it quietly, and continue to do so for an extended period of time.
ScottishSecurity

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 09:34:19 PM

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1
http://www.simplemachines.org/about/opensource.php
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 11:30:40 PM

Also, not to be insulting, but you are aware the new forum is launching soon?  It is open source.  Smiley

Perhaps theymos would be kind enough to share what the OP needs after the changeover for say a thermos of coffee [with honey and goat milk].  Roll Eyes

Will the open source code for the new forum include ALL codes?

Aside: @Vod, do you miss my old profile avatar replaced with a prison?

Back on topic: I'm planning on using BCT's new forum design for YuTübopołis' forum since it was expressed at the onset that it'll be available to everyone (sans cost if I'm not mistaken).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: