Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:22:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitSafe Hardware Wallet Now Shipping  (Read 22076 times)
allten (OP)

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 02:29:13 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 09:47:26 PM by allten

BitSafe Hardware Wallet Now Shipping

Huge milestone reached with the Open Source Bitsafe Hardware Wallet.
There are multiple Bitsafes assembled and ready to ship.

https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/20780-bitsafe-1-1-hardware-wallet-firmware-now-upgradeable-via-usb
https://www.bitmit.net/en/q/?q=bitsafe

Bitsafe is a 100% Open Source Hardware Wallet including all manufacturing files; this will guarantee price
competitiveness with the opportunity for anyone to become a distributor or even mass-producer. This is
important as it will allow buyers to purchase from the source they trust most.

The initial goal with Bitsafe was not to produce the "perfect" hardware, but rather prove the concept with several
dozen prototypes that would inspire hopeful software developers to get involved. As client developing commences,
our next goal is to create a more perfect, more versatile, and mass-producible hardware wallet for under $25.00.
It can be done! However, if you would like a hardware wallet now then please consider ordering one of these first
Bitsafes. They actually turned out really nice and your support would be appreciated.

If you are a serious about improving the Bitsafe project
, but would like a discount for your
efforts then please purchase the following listing at Bitmit and I'll gladly work with you! Don't forget to purchase
supporting development hardware as well if you think you may need it:
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/20786-bitsafe-1-1-donors-and-developers-version
Ignore the price, Bitmit works fine with small partial payments. It was just my way of getting others to ignore
a listing that would get them a cheaper Bitsafe.

To our amazement, the hardware wallet start ups and advancements from other sources came fast and hard after a
serious commitment was made to get involved in hardware security. This is great news! The more developers the
merrier! All this activity will surely make many hardware security solutions for Bitcoin a reality. Whatever happens,
there is a serious commitment by those involved with Bitsafe to make a cheap open source hardware security
solution a reality. Please get involved today.

Donations to cover previous and future hardware expenses:
1N13Pmk9c6swzb4QYKzPq317Cp1Z5idRJS
Any extra will go towards bounties. Thanks!

Check back every once and a while as I post more information and pictures

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great explanation from Someone42 where this project is likely to go:

is the firmware / source code posted somewhere like github or is it not developed yet??

I have been developing the firmware. You can get it from: https://github.com/someone42/hardware-bitcoin-wallet. It's in a state of flux, as the surrounding Bitcoin infrastructure changes. At the moment I'm working on implementing an interface based on protocol buffers, so that I can make it "Trezor compatible" (eg. see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=125383.0).

Can you explain how it works?  How do you use it?

Advantages over a mass market encrypted USB stick?

Here is an entirely fictitious depiction of what is possible:
  • You open multibit and plug the BitSafe into your computer. One of your greyed-out wallets becomes highlighted.
  • You navigate to bitmit.com, and purchase something for 1.815 BTC. Multibit handles the Bitcoin URI and gives you a payment prompt.
  • After approving multibit's payment prompt, a light flashes on the BitSafe and "Send 1.815 BTC to www.bitmit.net?" appears on the OLED display.
  • You press the "approve" button on the BitSafe and the relevant Bitcoin transaction propagates to the rest of the Bitcoin network.

During this story, there is no opportunity for malware to intercept your private keys. Private key storage and transaction signing is done entirely on the BitSafe. Malware does not even have the opportunity to redirect funds to another address; using a proposed payment protocol (see https://gist.github.com/gavinandresen/4120476), addresses and amounts are signed by the merchant (in this case www.bitmit.net), authenticated by the BitSafe and displayed on its OLED display.

It gets better than this. You could encrypt your wallet so that if you accidentally lose the BitSafe, any finders will have a harder time accessing your wallet. "Deluxe" versions of the BitSafe might include a USB port which will allow you plug in a USB keyboard. You could then enter passphrases without fear of (software) keyloggers. Maybe you could even use this keyboard to enter a brainwallet passphrase; the Deluxe BitSafe generates, uses, and erases the brainwallet independently of the host computer.

This looks like a great product.  I have only 1 question:

What happens to my keys & bitcoins if I loose the device or it stops working because my dog chewed on it?
Currently, the firmware implements a deterministic wallet based on the proposed BIP 0032 standard. So you would be able to do a wallet backup by writing a series of letters/numbers on a piece of paper. You would presumably place this paper in a physically secure location (eg. safe). If you lose the BitSafe or it breaks, you can entirely restore the wallet from this piece of paper.

Note: Someone42 was the first person to have a proof-of-concept prototype. His original work and
continued developments can be found here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78614.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loading and Updating The Firmware:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152517.msg1639690#msg1639690

Open Source Hardware and Software Files (Bitsafe 1.0)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152517.msg1661037#msg1661037

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 02:44:23 AM

Can you explain how it works?  How do you use it?

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 03:31:19 AM

This is AWESOME!

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 03:32:22 AM

It has buttons!  Wink

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 03:38:40 AM

Can you backup your private keys?
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 03:44:46 AM

Can you backup your private keys?

There will be firmware & software solutions to do a secure backup.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 02:20:51 PM

Could you give us a brief "How it works" description? What exactly it can do and how it does it?

You know, instead of just developing, try to sell it. And I'm also interested why you think you can't make a profit with an open source project, if you want ideas, contact me and maybe I can help you.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 05:00:15 PM

About time.  I've lost so many freaking bitcoins messing around with software wallets and backups.  Give me secure hardware.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 05:02:56 PM

Congratulations! The hardware wallet is one of my dream product for the usability of bitcoin.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Could you give us a brief "How it works" description? What exactly it can do and how it does it?

You know, instead of just developing, try to sell it. And I'm also interested why you think you can't make a profit with an open source project, if you want ideas, contact me and maybe I can help you.

Ok, I've adjusted the OP regarding "making a profit". it didn't have good taste. Thanks for asking these questions.
For the sell of the initial prototypes, I would need to sell them considerably higher to recoup my expenses.
$75.00 (Price currently in the bitmit listing) is already very high for most people. The plan is to decrease the price
after all interested developers purchase one or request a free one. It's a contribution I'm happy to make because
I would really like to see this happen as a true open source project. Client development support is most critical at
this point.

As for the profits when it is mass produced; you are right, there are profits to be made here, but I'm giving the
design and production files away freely so the one to make the profits will be the person(s) that foot the bill for
a mass-production run. We'll see how that plays out once the mass-producible version is ready.

One of the main reasons why I'm giving it away freely is in hopes to garner more client development support.
If could be a motivational killer if open source developers since their efforts will be utilized to make someone else
money. Hopefully the sacrifice I'm making will inspire others. There is a reason why the topic of a Hardware
wallets has been thrown around for so long with little or no results; few realize the amount of effort that is
needed to make this successful.

Currently, there is no support from any client so it is difficult to describe "How it works", but I will be updating this
thread as much as I can over the next several days with all the information and "how-to's" that I can provide.
It was overwhelming to try and make it available in a single post.

Since you are the moderator, can you move this thread to project development after it sits in this catagory for a while.
I figured it was news worthy and deserved to sit in the main discussion for a few weeks.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:08:52 PM

Since you are the moderator, can you move this thread to project development after it sits in this catagory for a while.
I figured it was news worthy and deserved to sit in the main discussion for a few weeks.

Sure thing, and thank you for your reply.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 08:42:54 PM

Something like this would look pretty cool  Roll Eyes

Bitrated user: Mick.
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 09:16:15 PM

Congrats on winning the race to the market release  Grin

I think it'd be interesting to see what can be done on the security side to have a smooth customer experience for the different products out there or about to be released. Kind of a common UI specification for secure hardware wallets in different price ranges (with display + button such as Trezor / with button only / without buttons i.e. typical smartcard)

allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 09:25:31 PM

Congrats on winning the race to the market release  Grin

I think it'd be interesting to see what can be done on the security side to have a smooth customer experience for the different products out there or about to be released. Kind of a common UI specification for secure hardware wallets in different price ranges (with display + button such as Trezor / with button only / without buttons i.e. typical smartcard)

Thanks.

That's the advantage of open source: "Release early and release often".
I didn't have the pressure of having a perfect or even working product like others do.

However, there is still a lot of development before it will be functional for anyone.

I completely agree with you about different versions. I wanted to create one with no display, one button, and a few LEDs with no OLED display.
It should be possible, but will be extra work verifying the security before creating a signature: Price vs. Convenience.
We'll see if any developers want to take on the challenge. Should be able to verify the concept with the Bitsafe now - just don't use the screen.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 09:27:39 PM

Something like this would look pretty cool  Roll Eyes

Wow. That looks nice. Where were you during the Logo creation? Maybe you did create a post. Sorry if you had.
This is good material. Thanks.
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:38:06 PM

is the firmware / source code posted somewhere like github or is it not developed yet??

This is a great project, opensource hardware is great. I'll try and help out where I can.

Bitmit seems down atm??

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 09:42:06 PM

Allten, could you answer these questions?  

Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:45:37 PM

Grin no I just knocked that up when I saw this thread today first time I heard about this, look forward to getting my hands on one  Grin

Bitrated user: Mick.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 10:43:52 PM

Sure. Sorry for the slow response.

Currently, there is no client support so it doesn't work, yet. Someone42 was the first pioneer in open
source Hardware wallet and helped with a lot with the bitsafe.
Here is one of his first posts:

Hopefully, you can get an idea of how it will work and how to use it from that thread.

What's an encrypted USB stick? Is it just a wallet file that is encrypted?
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 11:05:01 PM

Currently, there is no client support so it doesn't work, yet. Someone42 was the first pioneer in open

Hopefully, you can get an idea of how it will work and how to use it from that thread.

Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0SF0CK3099

It has a keypad and is hardware encrypted and needs no drivers.  It does on the other hand not offer anything bitcoin specific. 

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 11:38:45 PM

This is a fantastic project for the bitcoin community and BFL would love to contribute to it.  Perhaps we can leverage our volume production capability to make these cheap enough to help spread bitcoin to the fringe interest crowd.  In the meantime, if we can help with the development by providing resources, please let us know.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 02:46:16 AM

Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0SF0CK3099

It has a keypad and is hardware encrypted and needs no drivers.  It does on the other hand not offer anything bitcoin specific. 

Ok, I see. With Bitsafe and also Trezor, the idea is that the private keys are never exposed to the PC. The PC doesn't even have
the authority to tell the hardware wallet to create a signature. The idea is the PC software will generate the data or transaction to be signed and then
pass it to the hardware wallet where it can be double checked on the little screen to verify nothing nefarious is going on. If all checks out
then a signature is sent to the PC only with the press of a button on the hardware wallet. This makes it impossible for viruses, malware, etc.
to get your bitcoins. It's like having a dedicated computer that you know for sure is clean just for your bitcoins, but it is even more secure than that
because the firmware is compiled directly for the hardware and doesn't need a OS of any kind. Someone42 could explain it better.
I've had my mind mostly in the hardware development side and am not fully up to speed on exactly how it will work.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 02:52:36 AM

This is a fantastic project for the bitcoin community and BFL would love to contribute to it.  Perhaps we can leverage our volume production capability to make these cheap enough to help spread bitcoin to the fringe interest crowd.  In the meantime, if we can help with the development by providing resources, please let us know.

Man. That is awesome! Your support is greatly appreciated. Having access to mass production capabilities will make this so much more affordable.

Thanks.

If we run out of prototypes then I may solicit for your help in the near future.
After finishing the prototypes, I don't ever want to see a soldering Iron again :-)

As for the mass producible versions, its months away, but I'll keep you posted.
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:23:15 AM

This looks like a great product.  I have only 1 question:

What happens to my keys & bitcoins if I loose the device or it stops working because my dog chewed on it?

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
someone42

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Chris Chua

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:16:11 AM

I have been developing the firmware. You can get it from: https://github.com/someone42/hardware-bitcoin-wallet. It's in a state of flux, as the surrounding Bitcoin infrastructure changes. At the moment I'm working on implementing an interface based on protocol buffers, so that I can make it "Trezor compatible" (eg. see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=125383.0).

• You open multibit and plug the BitSafe into your computer. One of your greyed-out wallets becomes highlighted.
  • You navigate to bitmit.com, and purchase something for 1.815 BTC. Multibit handles the Bitcoin URI and gives you a payment prompt.
  • After approving multibit's payment prompt, a light flashes on the BitSafe and "Send 1.815 BTC to www.bitmit.net?" appears on the OLED display.
  • You press the "approve" button on the BitSafe and the relevant Bitcoin transaction propagates to the rest of the Bitcoin network.

During this story, there is no opportunity for malware to intercept your private keys. Private key storage and transaction signing is done entirely on the BitSafe. Malware does not even have the opportunity to redirect funds to another address; using a proposed payment protocol (see https://gist.github.com/gavinandresen/4120476), addresses and amounts are signed by the merchant (in this case www.bitmit.net), authenticated by the BitSafe and displayed on its OLED display.

It gets better than this. You could encrypt your wallet so that if you accidentally lose the BitSafe, any finders will have a harder time accessing your wallet. "Deluxe" versions of the BitSafe might include a USB port which will allow you plug in a USB keyboard. You could then enter passphrases without fear of (software) keyloggers. Maybe you could even use this keyboard to enter a brainwallet passphrase; the Deluxe BitSafe generates, uses, and erases the brainwallet independently of the host computer.

This looks like a great product.  I have only 1 question:

Currently, the firmware implements a deterministic wallet based on the proposed BIP 0032 standard. So you would be able to do a wallet backup by writing a series of letters/numbers on a piece of paper. You would presumably place this paper in a physically secure location (eg. safe). If you lose the BitSafe or it breaks, you can entirely restore the wallet from this piece of paper.
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1149

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:35:55 AM

Just bought one! It's great to see this happen for real.

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 05:43:04 AM

Thanks!  This is what I wanted to know, and this sounds very good. 

PartTimeLegend

Activity: 63

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:18:05 AM

I'm currently building an open source POS for Bitcoin merchants.

Do you have any documentation on the API?

If possible I would like to integrate with my POS so that a customer comes in to pay via BTC, I raise the transaction at POS and present a USB port to the customer to plugin and approve the transaction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:40:38 PM

This looks awesome!

One question:
Is it possible to make a paper backup of your wallet AND encrypt it?  Do you just make the paper backup while the wallet is not encrypted, or can you make the paper backup of the encrypted wallet and decrypt it once it has been digitized again?
Forlarren

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:42:15 PM

Any way these things could get one of those new low power Bluetooth radios instead of USB, or would that break security?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:56:53 PM

Any way these things could get one of those new low power Bluetooth radios instead of USB, or would that break security?
1) You'd need battery power.
2) You'd need to integrate a resettable pin.
3) People scanning for bluetooth devices would know that a hardware wallet was nearby if yours was turned on.  Might be best to keep that information private.

That said, it's rarely a bad idea to have more options instead of fewer, and this could potentially open the door for hardware wallet + mobile device, which would be neat.  I think the security is still there, as you would still have to physically push buttons to authorize transactions with the wallet.
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 09:01:22 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2013, 09:22:37 PM by Icoin

1) You'd need battery power
Why not use a GPL supercapacitor instad? And a battery just as option ?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101559.msg1582402#msg1582402
http://vimeo.com/51873011#

Wouldnt it become possibe to build that safe even smaller? I assume that the acutal design is cause of the lithium battery.

fellowtraveler

Activity: 440

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 09:10:57 PM

Quote from: ChipGeek

Kudos for someone42 for this post. This is exactly what I was coming onto this thread to write.

Especially the part where he says, "[then] a light flashes on the BitSafe and "Send 1.815 BTC to www.bitmit.net?" appears on the OLED display."

This is exactly what I need for Open-Transactions.

We have now gotten OT to where it installs on 64bit Linux through apt-get (using custom repo).

What do I need to make happen, in order to test OT on your device? Is there any comparable hardware I can buy now at home, which I can use to simulate running OT on your device? (So I can prepare OT to run on your device...)

This project is very interesting and important, especially the open-source aspect of it. May I recommend also that you choose an open-source license with patent protections built in so that your work doesn't later become subject to patent trolling. That will impact companies who try to use your hardware designs.

I am available fellowtraveler@rayservers.net for any discussion. Great work!

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 09:18:43 PM

This is a wonderful idea. I've wanted something like this for a long time.

Does the device store transaction data, or does it just look at transactions given to it by the PC to determine how many bitcoins the transaction is sending?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
jayez

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:49:31 PM

SOON.

https://i.imgur.com/XYktA8R.jpg
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:21:11 AM

I was going to have one encrusted in gold and gems with a USB cable disguised as a gold rope chain, but I didn't have the money. ;-)

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
someone42

Activity: 78

Chris Chua

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:56:55 AM

I'm currently building an open source POS for Bitcoin merchants.

Do you have any documentation on the API?

If possible I would like to integrate with my POS so that a customer comes in to pay via BTC, I raise the transaction at POS and present a USB port to the customer to plugin and approve the transaction.
This is a wonderful idea. I've wanted something like this for a long time.

Does the device store transaction data, or does it just look at transactions given to it by the PC to determine how many bitcoins the transaction is sending?
The device doesn't store blocks, block headers, or any transaction data. This makes it somewhat difficult to use in a POS situation. It's still possible: there is a "get master public key" command which allows the POS terminal to derive every address in a wallet. From there, the POS terminal can scan the blockchain and build a transaction. This is a lot of legwork for the POS terminal. Another disadvantage is that the user sacrifices privacy, since the POS terminal knows every address in the wallet.

A description of the wire protocol can be found at https://github.com/someone42/hardware-bitcoin-wallet/blob/master/PROTOCOL. I'm trying to make it like the one described here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=125383.0.

This looks awesome!

One question:
Is it possible to make a paper backup of your wallet AND encrypt it?  Do you just make the paper backup while the wallet is not encrypted, or can you make the paper backup of the encrypted wallet and decrypt it once it has been digitized again?
You would need to have the correct encryption key in order to initiate a backup, but once you do, the paper backup can be encrypted or unencrypted. Encrypted paper backups can buy you time if the paper is compromised, whereas unencrypted paper backups protect you against you forgetting the wallet passphrase Smiley.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:29:02 AM

Grin no I just knocked that up when I saw this thread today first time I heard about this, look forward to getting my hands on one  Grin

What amazes me about your add is that you took the time to get the LED colors correct. To my knowledge, no photos have been posted with the LEDs on.

For reference:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152517.msg1621501#msg1621501
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 06:18:37 AM

This project is very interesting and important, especially the open-source aspect of it. May I recommend also that you choose an open-source license with patent protections built in so that your work doesn't later become subject to patent trolling. That will impact companies who try to use your hardware designs.

I am available fellowtraveler@rayservers.net for any discussion. Great work!

Thanks for the interest and enthusiasm.
I really don't know squat about licensing.
The way I view open source projects or community projects: when you see something lacking or something that needs to be done then that is your call to make it happen.
Are you up to it? That is, take care of all the licensing?

Between Family and work, like many here, I can only do so much. Hopefully, I can help foster an atmosphere where people feel welcome to jump right in and be part of this
in anyway they feel useful. No permission needed. I hope I'm not perceived as the owner of this initiative;
I'm just the guy who was passionate enough to dump a couple thousand (wife wasn't too happy) to make some prototypes after I saw the proof of concept and all the work
Someone42 had done.

Today, I received two messages from two different people that are taking the initiative to build a case for this first version. With a 3D printer, I believe.
That was great news!

This has encouraged me to start and manage some bounties. I would like to start with these two: one for case or enclosure and another for the licensing to be taken care of.

Open Source Licensing Bounty: 1DVXwuBuR4qLyW7axAq8tuTxPnTiGyvk5P
Case/enclosure Bounty: 1Jj3RkgLydBef2jpUrAUDxDYf1A5wvLsU
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 08:15:31 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 08:30:07 AM by Icoin

Hardware Design Public License Version 0.04

? Graham Seaman 2000 (graham@opencollector.org)
Preamble

[meta]This license contains three parts: the license proper; comments, explaining the intent of the license proper, and separated from it by [comment]...[/comment], and meta-comments, which will be removed from the license once it has been completed. Meta-comments are separated by [meta]...[/meta]. All comments are in italics. [/meta]
[comment]This license is intended to achieve similar goals to those of the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) in the context of hardware designs. It is not intended to achieve all the different goals those working on free hardware designs may have, some of which may require radically different licenses. However, it is intended to cover hardware designs of all types, including designs for PCBs, ICs, and Programmable Logic Devices. [/comment]

[meta] Trying to keep it this general has made the current version sound horribly long-winded. It is more of an exercise in finding out what the problems are in developing this kind of license, and what the goals should be, than a practical license, since there is no organization behind it. [/meta]

Any version of this license with version number greater than or equal to 1.0 may be copied and used verbatim. For versions before 1.0, the license may not be used; however, it may be copied, and meta-comments may be changed or added at will.

[meta]This license is incomplete, and has never been looked at by a lawyer. Maybe one day there will be a final valid version 1.0. In the mean time, you're welcome to use any useful ideas in it (as I have also borrowed ideas), just not to use the whole thing under this name. The main sources of the ideas (and parts of the text) in the license are:

Ian Carr de Avelon
Reinoud Lambert
And above all, the FSF
[/meta]
DEFINITIONS

"Manufacturing files" include any files which can be used as direct input to a process the purpose of which is to permanently change the electrical or electronic properties of an object. This includes, but is not limited to, gerber or other files for PCB manufacture; mask works for IC manufacture.
"Programming files" include any files which can be used as direct input to a process the purpose of which is to temporarily change the electrical or electronic properties of an object. This includes, but is not limited to, programmable logic device configuration data for FPGAs or PLDs; executable files for processors.
The "hardware design" (or simply "the Design") is the set of files associated with this license by being placed in the same directory as the license, or subdirectories of the directory containing the license, including but not limited to manufacturing files and programming files. Where these files have a textual format, they should contain a reference to this license (or in the case of software or documentation any license recognised by the Free Software Foundation as compatible with licenses issued by the Free Software Foundation).
[meta]This is the key to the whole license; it avoids the almost impossible to task of finding a completely general definition of a hardware design. Note that the legality of covering binary files with a copyright license is not settled, but that this has become current practice (eg. Xilinx uses this for FPGA bitstreams)[/meta]
A "readable" file must be in a format which can be read by software available to the general public, whether free or for a fee, with the exception that it must not be encrypted, obfuscated, or have its readability in any way artifically obstructed.
"Hardware Design Public License" (abbreviated to "HDPL") refers to this or later versions of this license.
Terms And Conditions

The HDPL covers all files included in the hardware design, except the license itself. You may not impose any further restrictions on use or distribution of the hardware design than those contained in the HDPL.
You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the hardware design in any medium. You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy via a non-networked medium (such as a CDROM), and you may offer warranty protection, instructional support, or other services in exchange for a fee. You may not charge a fee for the sole purpose of providing access to the hardware design via a network.
[comment]"Verbatim" implies the inclusion of ALL files making up the hardware design, including the license file itself.[/comment]
You may freely modify this hardware design (with the exception of the HDPL file itself), thus forming a work based on the hardware design, and copy and distribute such modifications under the terms of section 2 above, provided that you also meet all these conditions:
You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
You must in no way alter any copyright or mask work right symbols and information contained in the design
You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the hardware design or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this license
You must ensure that all files in the modified design are readable in the sense defined above.
[comment]Clause 3.3 implies that you may not include in your modification any work covered by patent or other rights which would invalidate this license[/comment]
[meta]Clause 3.4 is not in the spirit of the gpl. It would be desirable, but not practical to insist that only free software formats can be used. As it is, this clause leaves it open to a company to use a proprietary and secret format only usable by in-house software, and then to offer that software for sale at a ridiculous price, in order to satisfy the letter of this clause. This clause may change in future versions.[/meta]
The requirements of section 3 apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the hardware design, and can reasonably be considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this license, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based on this hardware design, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this license, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.
[comment]For example, say the design is a System-On-Chip computer. A person who adds a UART to this system may distribute the UART design separately under a different license. But if that person wishes to distribute the SOC computer design with the inclusion of the UART, the UART design must fall under the original license[/comment]
You may copy and distribute the manufacturing and programming files contained within the hardware design (or a work based on it, under sections 3,4) separately from the remainder of the hardware design, provided that you also do one of the following:
Accompany them with a prominently displayed URL for a network site available to the general public for a period of at least 3 years and with no access restrictions from which the complete hardware design (or the work based on it, as appropriate) may be downloaded in readable form.
Accompany them with the information you received as to the offer to distribute the corresponding complete hardware design (this alternative is allowed only if you received the manufacturing and programming files with such an offer, and have not subsequently modified these files).
[comment]This section has 4 principal purposes:

To apply similar conditions to those of the gpl to any software included in the hardware design
To apply similar conditions to those of the gpl to any programming information such as fpga bitstreams included in the design
To prevent users under section 6 from taking the design and modifying it by adding secret interfaces so that the manufactured design becomes effectively unusable.
To enforce the availability of documentation for any manufactured version of the design, via the following clause.
[/comment]
You may use manufacturing files contained in the hardware design for the purpose for which they were intended as defined above (definition 1).
For the purposes of this license, such use is to be considered as a form of distribution of the manufacturing files, and hence falls under section 5, with the same requirements.
[meta]The remainder of this license is copied almost word for word from the GPL. It is likely that extra clauses will have to be added to deal with potential patent violations and lack of implied warranty[/meta]

You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Design except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Design is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.
You are not required to accept this License, since you have not signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or distribute the design or its derivative works. These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by modifying or distributing the hardware design (or any work based on the Design), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the design or works based on it.
Each time you redistribute the Design (or any work based on the Design), the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Design subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.
If, as a consequence of a court judgment or allegation of patent infringement or for any other reason (not limited to patent issues), conditions are imposed on you (whether by court order, agreement or otherwise) that contradict the conditions of this License, they do not excuse you from the conditions of this License. If you cannot distribute so as to satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this License and any other pertinent obligations, then as a consequence you may not distribute the design at all. For example, if a patent license would not permit royalty-free redistribution of the design by all those who receive copies directly or indirectly through you, then the only way you could satisfy both it and this License would be to refrain entirely from distribution of the Design.
If any portion of this section is held invalid or unenforceable under any particular circumstance, the balance of the section is intended to apply and the section as a whole is intended to apply in other circumstances.

It is not the purpose of this section to induce you to infringe any patents or other property right claims or to contest validity of any such claims; this section has the sole purpose of protecting the integrity of the free hardware design distribution system, which is implemented by public license practices. Many people have made generous contributions to the growing range of hardware designs distributed through that system in reliance on consistent application of that system; it is up to the author/donor to decide if he or she is willing to distribute a design through any other system and a licensee cannot impose that choice.

This section is intended to make thoroughly clear what is believed to be a consequence of the rest of this License.

If the distribution and/or use of the Design is restricted in certain countries either by patents or by copyrighted interfaces, the original copyright holder who places the Design under this License may add an explicit geographical distribution limitation excluding those countries, so that distribution is permitted only in or among countries not thus excluded. In such case, this License incorporates the limitation as if written in the body of this License.
Each version of the HDPL is given a distinguishing version number. If the Design specifies a version number of this License which applies to it and "any later version", you have the option of following the terms and conditions either of that version or of any later version.
If you wish to incorporate parts of the Design into other free designs whose distribution conditions are different, you may write to the author to ask for permission.hello

allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 04:59:16 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2013, 01:41:41 AM by allten

[Important Update - Please Read]
All the Bitmit listings regarding the Bitsafe and Bitsafe development are now live!
https://www.bitmit.net/en/q/?q=bitsafe

There was also some changes to the description of the main Bitsafe listing. (i.e. Disclaimer now included)
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/20780-bitsafe-1-1-hardware-wallet-firmware-now-upgradeable-via-usb

Please review these changes and the new listings to make sure you are happy with your order.
Gladly refund anyone in a heartbeat if there is any issue. Also, check if any of the development
accessories are something you are interested in. It would be nice to ship them together.

As mentioned in the OP, I want to support anyone that would like to develop for this open source
project but don't feel like they have the extra funds to purchase a Bitsafe at full price.
Development support from others is of utmost importance for the success of Hardware Wallets
in general. I've included a Bitmit listing just for you. Please purchase this one, and pay what
you feel is appropriate. Hopefully, no one will find this as a barrier to getting involved if they are
serious about improving this project:
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/20786-bitsafe-1-1-donors-and-developers-version

There has been no Bitsafes shipped out the door yet. Thanks for your patience. I would like to
give everyone a chance to review these new Bitmit listings first and make any changes if needed.
The plan is to ship in mass this next weekend. With a full time job and family, mass shipping will
help me make best use of the extra time I find for this project.

Lastly, I've now included my email in my profile. I dislike the PM system. If you tried to contact me
through Bitcointalk's PM system, but I haven't responded then please try my email. That is still
no guarantee I will reply in a timely matter, but eventually, it will happen.

Thanks,
     Allten
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:26:55 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 04:39:14 AM by allten

Loading and Updating The Firmware

As firmware rolls out the door followed by updates, it is important to know how
to get those upgrades onto the Bitsafe. Here is a step by step process on how
to do just that.

1) First, plug the Bitsafe into the computer while holding down one of the
buttons
. It doesn't matter which one. The Bitsafe will start flashing the green
LED and it will enumerate with the OS in a few seconds. You should always be
able to enter Bootloader mode this way. If the LED is not flashing then unplug
the Bitsafe and try it again.

2) The Bitsafe uses Microchip's Bootloader. The source code is freely
available for download. Here is the link to the PIC 32 Bootloader AP note:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1824&appnote=en554836

Download the PIC32 Bootloader Zip file:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/AN1388%20Source%20Code%202013_02_01.zip

3) Extract the zip file and run the compressed executable. This will simply
extract all the source files and bootloader program to the C:\ directory. The
default path is "C:\AN1388_Source_Code_2013_02_01"

4) Run the PC Software: PIC32UBL.exe Here's the default location:
C:\AN1388_Source_Code_2013_02_01\PIC32_Bootloaders\PC application\PIC32UBL.exe

5) Click on the Enable Check box in the USB section Leave the
Vendor ID (VID) and Product ID (PID) numbers at their default values
(VID=0x4D8; PID=0x03C). This VID belongs to Microchip and they have
designated PID 0x03C for their HID bootloader.

6) Click "Connect". For successful connection with the Bitsafe, make sure
it is plugged in and running the bootloader firmware (Green LED should be
blinking). See step #1.

7) Click "Load Hex File" then find and select the firmware binaries of
interest. Binaries will have .hex file extension. Make sure the Binary file was
compiled for this hardware and this Bootloader (currently version 1.0). If it is
not then programming verification will fail.

8: Click "Erase-Program-Verify":

If all went well, you can now unplug it and plug it back in (avoid pushing any
buttons) and it should work. The "Run Application" button on the software
may not work if the newly loaded firmware does not yet support it. Just
use the unplug method.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 12:42:25 AM

Would be smart if you update your OP with that Wink

allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 12:43:59 AM

Thanks, but which one? the getting started thread?
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 12:46:15 AM

The one of this thread would make the most sense if you ask me.  Wink

allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 01:01:04 AM

The one of this thread would make the most sense if you ask me.  Wink

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do that.
Did I mention developing hardware is my strong point and PR is my weak point  Undecided
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 01:02:40 AM

It's ok, I'm happy to help out.

allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 12:12:06 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2013, 12:30:08 AM by allten

Open Source Hardware and Software Files (Bitsafe 1.0)

Note: The only difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is the later version has a 0.1uF
(100nF) capacitor soldered on top of R30 (750 Ohm resistor) to help provide a
more stable 4.05V source.

Firmware:
https://github.com/someone42/hardware-bitcoin-wallet
https://github.com/someone42/bitsafe-tester

Microchip's Bootloader:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1824&appnote=en554836
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/AN1388%20Source%20Code%202013_02_01.zip

There were edits made to Microchip's Bootloader for Bitsafe compatibility. Due to licensing,
it was felt that it would not be a good idea to publish their bootloader on Github until all
concerns are resolved.

Please email me if you would like a copy of the source with the Bitsafe edits.

Schematic File - Requires Eagle CAD Tool:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rab32936mwqe0ve/BitSafeDev.sch

Bill of Materials (BOM) - PDF Format:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rclrxxhhhud5zwz/BOM.pdf

Bill of Materials (BOM) - Microsoft Excel Format:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6czeygtv7i90ixk/BOM.xls

Top View of PCB Component Placement:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bib6x9cicxtd212/Top.pdf

Bottom View of PCB Component Placement:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/khi322q14npnx9o/Bottom.pdf

PCB File - Requires Eagle CAD Tool:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2fy2shgx5kjn5p/BitSafeDev.brd

Fabrication Files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfod6gk17ui1qvf/BitSafeDevA0_FabFiles.zip
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:52:20 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2013, 03:32:25 AM by allten

Getting Started with Microchip's PIC32 IDE (MPLAB X)

If you want to develop, compile, or make small tweaks to the Bitsafe firmware,
you'll want to start by installing Microchip's latest IDE (MPLABX) They've made
considerably improvements over the last several months and it works really
good.

Download and install these two programs for your OS:
Windows:
       MPLABX: http://www.microchip.com/mplabx-ide-windows-installer
       X32C: http://www.microchip.com/mplabxc32windows
Linux:
       MPLABX: http://www.microchip.com/mplabx-ide-linux-installer
       X32C: http://www.microchip.com/mplabxc32linux
OSX:
       MPLABX: http://www.microchip.com/mplabx-ide-osx-installer
       X32C: http://www.microchip.com/mplabxc32osx

The 32 bit C compiler has 3 modes: Free, Standard, and Pro.
The Free edition will work just fine for our purposes. The binaries
will be slightly larger, but they work just the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Additional resources to learn about MPLABX

Main Page:
http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/mplabx/

Great Intro:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/Market_Communication/Getting_started_with_MPLAB-X.pdf

Wiki:
http://microchip.wikidot.com/mplab:_start

Forum:
http://www.microchip.com/forums/f238.aspx

Opening Project

work n Progress

Compiling Project and Downloading Firmware with the PICKIT3

work n Progress

Compiling Project for the bootloader

work n Progress

Finding the binaries for the bootloader

work n Progress
pmarches

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:04:45 PM

Hello all,

I just received the bitsafe device from alten. Fast shipping, device is working as expected. I got the basic test working with this firmware from alten https://www.dropbox.com/s/an5ej306snzbk51/bitsafe_tester.X.production.hex

With the first compilation I did (under ubuntu linux), the hex file failed to load properly with the PIC32 bootloader. I got the error message : "Verification failed". Alten then suggested I add a linker script called "app_32MX695F512H.ld" (it can be found in the bootloader source downloadable from Microchip). This linker
script will help the compiler to use the correct memory regions of the PIC32; otherwise, it will compile it to run in the same location where the bootloader resides in memory.

So I got my own bitsafe_tester firmware to work after that. Still trying to get the real firmware going.

I do not have a windows machine readily available, does anyone know of a good linux bootloader application?

Thanks!
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:30:38 PM

Dont associate yourselves with BFL at all if you want to keep your credibility

Inaba actually get your BFL products up and running and being sold to the masses who ordered before you offer any help or guidance to anyone else asshole

Bitsafe your product looks awesome
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:48:10 AM

Still fabricating these Alten?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: