Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:48:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info wallet - very strange problem and now locked out of account?  (Read 5064 times)
key2 (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 02:48:53 AM

Hi all,

First let me say I have a support ticket with Blockchain about this, but waiting to hear back is killing me and I'm worried I'm at risk for a larger problem.

I have a Blockchain.info wallet that I use for my transaction. I recently bought my first BTC and have just been kind of researching/exploring. Blockchain seemed to be the easiest and safest method of starting out. I had no problems transferring to and from within the first few days. However, yesterday (AFTER the fork was resolved) I tried to send a small amount to my Seals with Clubs account using the Android app (which worked for me in the past doing the same thing). However something strange occurred - it asked me for my private key to authorize the payment. It didn't ask me this the first time and I didn't even have the private key. I was unaware of the Export feature so I never did that - the key and info are on Blockchain only. Why would it start asking for the private key to authorize? I have the second password set up for that.

Then I logged into the web version. I have 2-type authentication with my email, fwiw. Once I'm in I try to send and it says it can't process the outputs or something - I can't remember the exact error. Then I started to worry that my account was compromised. So I went to the passwords section of accounts and tried to change my passwords to be more secure (they were already quite strong, plus I had 2 passwords set up to authorize transactions). I was unable to update the passwords - the site kept giving me errors. I then tried to update the main password and it seemed to succeed, but then I was kicked out of the site back to the login screen. I tries to login with the new password I just set and it didn't work. Then I tried the old password and it worked, for a split second only. I logged in, was able to see the account and then was instantly logged out with the error "Unable to decrypt password" or something like it. Now whenever I try to log in - that's what happens. It logs in for a split second then kicks me out.

Each time I log in for that split second though, I see my BTC balance still there - so not sure what this means.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I will know to export my wallet in the future.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 02:54:12 AM

What is the exact error your are receiving? ("Unable to decrypt password" is not an error message). What browser are you using?

key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 02:56:57 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2013, 04:42:17 AM by key2

What is the exact error your are receiving? ("Unable to decrypt password" is not an error message). What browser are you using?

Using Chrome. The error appears randomly when I get kicked out - sometimes no error at all. I will try to recreate but recently I just get kicked out with no error at all.

edit: I keep trying but the error is not showing up anymore - just getting kicked out.

edit 2: If it will help, I can get a video of my screen during the login process and PM you.

edit 3: I forgot to mention that I have a Google Drive backup. Can I use this to help me out in some way?
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 06:46:31 AM

Does anyone know if there's a way for me to use my Google Drive backup to fix this? I'm not exactly sure how the backup works. My account says junior member but I'm definitely still a newbie, so apologies if this is a dumb question.
Ditto

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:05:49 AM

Does anyone know if there's a way for me to use my Google Drive backup to fix this? I'm not exactly sure how the backup works. My account says junior member but I'm definitely still a newbie, so apologies if this is a dumb question.
Download the wallet.aes.json file from Google Drive, go to https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet, and then drag and drop the wallet.aes.json file into the box.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:13:05 AM

Download the wallet.aes.json file from Google Drive, go to https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet, and then drag and drop the wallet.aes.json file into the box.

But is there a way for me to get the wallet off of blockchain? As in take the backup from GD and put it somewhere else? I'm worried my Blockchain account is compromised. I need to create a different account if I am to do what you wrote.
Ditto

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:31:25 AM

If you're worried that your Blockchain wallet is compromised, you can import the backup into Multibit and then move the funds in the imported addresses to new addresses.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:32:44 AM

If you're worried that your Blockchain wallet is compromised, you can import the backup into Multibit and then move the funds in the imported addresses to new addresses.

Ok, thanks a lot for your response - I will try this out.

Edit: Oh, not sure if it can be used but I already downloaded Bitcoin-qt a while ago, just never used it. Could I do the same there?
Ditto

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:35:52 AM

Yes you can. You will have to wait some time for it to sync, though.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:41:12 AM

Ok, thanks a lot again for your help, I'll keep updating.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:52:47 AM

Another slightly unrelated question - where I live I need to use VPN all the time but it goes in and out. will this affect my security? I use a paid VPN service that respects anonymity.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 08:17:11 AM

Ok, the sync on bitcoin-qt would have taken forever so I downloaded Multibit. I attempted to import the key and something weird occured. The password it needed for my first password (I have 2 on the blockchain account) was actually the one I tried to upgrade to when Blockchain.info kicked me out the first time. However, trying to login to BC with that password results in "Error decrypting Wallet".

btw @Piuk - that must have been the error I was getting when I was kicked out - "Error decrypting Wallet"

Anyway - so now I've managed to successfully import to Multibit but it says "There were missing dates. Have to go back to Genesis block"

It says on the help screen that it could take up to 2 hours or more for this - but my current balance is at 0 and my new wallet doesn't look like it's been imported - on the left side it still has the one Multibit came with. Will this be amended when the blockchain is Synced? Also there is no progress bar so it's hard for me to tell if anything is actually happening.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 08:48:31 AM

Go to Tools --> Reset Blockchain and Transactions.
See if it has the option to reset since the genesis block checked and apply.
Wait a couple minutes till it syncs and you'll see your coin.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:04:04 AM

I reset from First Date, it now says "Synchronised with Network" but the wallet is still at 0.

However the wallet has a different address than the one I had on blockchain.

So does this mean my btc is gone?
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:07:23 AM

I tried to log in to Blockchain.info again - the error is with Decrypting Wallet and Downloading Wallet

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:20:30 AM

I reset from First Date, it now says "Synchronised with Network" but the wallet is still at 0.

No. Reset again but use a date that is before the date you created the wallet at Blockchain.info.
Choose a date on the calendar a few years back, like March 13 2009, to when Blockchain.info didn't existed yet.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:25:25 AM

No. Reset again but use a date that is before the date you created the wallet at Blockchain.info.
Choose a date on the calendar a few years back, like March 13 2009, to when Blockchain.info didn't existed yet.

Ok - it's now loading. Thanks I will update
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 10:39:43 AM

Hey just wondering if you might know how long it will take. It's been on:

Replaying blockchain from date "Mar 13, 2009"
Stopping Bitcoin network connection...
Synchronising with network...

For about an hour now
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 10:58:42 AM

Hey just wondering if you might know how long it will take. It's been on:

Replaying blockchain from date "Mar 13, 2009"
Stopping Bitcoin network connection...
Synchronising with network...

For about an hour now

Hey, I just gave that date as an example. It would suffice a date before you created that specific wallet at blockchain.info, but only you know that.
Mar 13, 2009 is almost at the start of the blockchain. Patience, it will get there. Give it another hour or so, no point on interrupting now I guess.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 10:59:35 AM

Ok, I created the blockchain account very recently though
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 11:08:10 AM

Ok, I created the blockchain account very recently though

Was just checking on my Multibit install and now you can't stop it as it will begin where it stopped if you close it and open again.
Just let it run.
You can put your mouse over the Online text on the lower left corner and it will tell you how many blocks it verified and the date it's currently scanning, so you can keep up with the progress.
key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 11:09:23 AM

Ok cool - thanks
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 11:52:54 AM

key2 sent me his wallet details and I was able to login successfully and couldn't see any particular problems. Perhaps it is a caching issue.

key2 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 12:02:36 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2013, 02:04:18 AM by key2

key2 sent me his wallet details and I was able to login successfully and couldn't see any particular problems. Perhaps it is a caching issue.

Yes, and thank you so much for your help, and sorry for all the confusion. Very strange. Though I'm still being asked for a private key which never happened before (I PMed you again).

Thanks for all your help, anyone who responded here, I really appreciate it.

edit for anyone that might still read: everything is officially back to normal. Thanks a lot to piuk and the rest of people helping out.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: