Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:20:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe Autumn Radtke was murdered?
Yes
No

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Autumn Radtke murdered due to something she knew about Brock Pierce, et al.?  (Read 28733 times)
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 01:41:14 AM

It is possible that a transaction malleability bug with Gox was used very slowly with small amounts and massive numbers of accounts over time in order to avoid drawing any attention until it was too late.

Well, if you believe the published analysis, then this was decidedly NOT possible. I forget the number, but the total of transactions that might have been conceivably exposed to the transaction malleability exploit -- system wide, not just Gox's -- amounted to no more than a fraction of a percent of Gox's lost coins.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:06:53 AM

It is possible that a transaction malleability bug with Gox was used very slowly with small amounts and massive numbers of accounts over time in order to avoid drawing any attention until it was too late.

Two guys at MIT looked at the relevant logs and concluded that most attempts to exploit the "malelability bug" came only after Mark blamed it for the loss; and at most a couple hundred BTC could have been lost that way:
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/526161/the-troubling-holes-in-mtgoxs-account-of-how-it-lost-600-million-in-bitcoins/

IUnfortunately, because of a likely gag order, Mark is unable to confirm or deny any of this, even though the gag order probably has more to do with money-laundering than a Gox heist itself.

Like the malelability bug, the gag order may be only an excuse.  But he surely must have been advised by his lawyers to keep his mouth firmly shut.  That is standard legal advice for anyone in his situation.

If other people are involved, with or without his cumplicity, perhaps he is silent for fear of physical consequences.  Someone who steals such a large sum will have the motivation and the means to murder anyone who threatens his loot and freedom.  (Note, for example, that Ross Ulbricht is charged with trying to hire a hitman to take out someone who was blackmailing him; whether it is true or not, it is quite plausible.)

It is hard to understand how he could have, all alone, made the coins vanish so completely that the crowd detectives still cannot locate them in the blockchain, even with the help of the leaked database.  

Autumn's death might have just been a result of her having put a client's funds too heavily into Gox. Something like one of these. Was there a note or anything? I guess I never heard if there was a note. While it might seem "fun" to speculate on this stuff, keep in mind that she did have family and friends that aren't likely to want to talk about it, let alone hear people debate about it.

As far as I know, there was no note or any other evidence clearly indicating a suicide, nor any specific cause.  Someone who was close to her implied that she was somewhat "down" on the previous day, but nothing specific.  Brock Pierce later called her friends for an evening of remembrance or something in Los Angeles.  I have not read anything coming from her family about possible reasons for her death.

I find it hard to believe that she would kill herself for advising someone to put money into MtGOX.  She was hardly alone in making that mistake, and every investment advice has at least 50% chance of being disastrous Wink.  Although she was involved with virtual currencies in general, AFAIK she was not really a "bitcoin evangelist" that would push reluctant investors into bitcoin.  

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
andrewbb

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 01:53:34 PM

She was building a company that instantly exchanged any currency for any currency, including digital.

Her design threatened the world's currency owners, because it gave people an escape from being locked into a single currency.  For example, it would allow a person in Singapore to live their life using the currency of their choice (gold, bitcoin, yen, usd, british pound, canadian dollar, etc.) without ever touching or holding a Singapore dollar, and having total freedom to transact with anyone and everyone.

That's why she was killed.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 02:08:08 PM

Thanks for the breakdown. You're making Bitcoin sound like a mafia run club to hide illegal activity. That might be true, I don't know. There's been enough criminal activity surrounding Bitcoin so far to substantiate that view. I know you're a decent guy and you're trying to help. You're just donating so much of your time to this I thought their might be another reason. Him being involved in Bitcoin since 2009 is highly suspect. In fact, everything you're digging up is giving me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I like Bitcoin and, as you know, got into it very early on. I've made a fat stack of cash on it selling most at over $700. I've always liked the concept of Bitcoin and the freedom it can give to the little guy but I'm having second thoughts about continuing to support it. Every time one of these connections between Bitcoin and underworld activities (murder, SR drug sales, wide scale theft, illegal sexual deviance, illegal gambling, racketeering, online sex for hire) happens I think we may have all been fooled. Bitcoin is the perfect place to get rich quick but you may have to cross a few lines to do it. I don't know that wealth at all costs is worth losing your soul.

Here's a blast from the past.

andrewbb

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 02:09:54 PM

I think she was about to land a very large, significant deal on her exchange.  Someone did not want her to get that deal (she may not have been aware of it yet).
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 03:17:28 PM

I think she was about to land a very large, significant deal on her exchange.  Someone did not want her to get that deal (she may not have been aware of it yet).

that does not sound even faintly plausible. There are far more ways to stymie a simple business deal than something as difficult to pull off as a murder faked as a suicide.

Vires in numeris
andrewbb

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 09:07:43 PM

that does not sound even faintly plausible. There are far more ways to stymie a simple business deal than something as difficult to pull off as a murder faked as a suicide.

You may be underestimating the significance of the deal that was being discussed.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1160604/did-autumn-radtke-bitcoin-businesswoman-really-commit-suicide/
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 09:27:06 PM

not buying, you or some news article isn't going to convince me that Autumn Radtke was unwittingly on the verge of being approached to make the greatest deal of all time. If you can buy off the Singaporean justice system, you can easily get Autumn Radtke arrested or imprisoned on some trumped up charge.

The only possible reason I can think of to fake-suicide someone is to keep their credible mouth shut. Maybe there's some other possibility, I'm all ears.

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: