Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:45:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sent some btc...they disappeared  (Read 1927 times)
carpetbagger (OP)

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

You can trust me, I have an avatar

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 05:11:11 AM

Hello. I'm using Electrum 1.6.2 linux client in full gui mode. Today I successfully sent funds to an address. Later I sent .02 btc to the same address. The encryption password entry came up & I entered it, but I never got the "successful transaction" message.

I checked the receiving address on blockchain.info and there was no record of the transaction. So I sent another .02 btc, entered my password, and the same thing happened.

Then I noticed that my balance in electrum was missing the above funds. There is no record of the 2 transactions on electrum's history tab. How should I proceed in getting this sorted out? Thanks a bunch.

Keep clam & hodl on

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RoxxR

Activity: 208
Merit: 148

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 07:35:51 AM

Reinstall, and restore from seed? (Just a guess, never had this problem personally)
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 08:48:34 AM

I suspect this is the same problem as in another thread.
if that is the case, it will be fixed with version 1.7 (to be released soon)

if you want to get a diagnostic, PM me your master public key and I'll have a look

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
carpetbagger (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:34:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. Well, kind of embarrassed Roxrr.... I can't work out how to uninstall electrum!  Cheesy I installed using

I tried deleting wallet.dat and restoring from seed, but the .04btc is still missing though. I'm glad it was a trivial amount involved but now I'm petrified to make any transactions.

Thomas, I'll get that key to you now. Cheers.

Keep clam & hodl on
carpetbagger (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 12:39:54 PM

A quick update: I managed to uninstall electrum, reinstall, and restore from seed - but still missing the coins.

A bit off topic: Thomas, at the "Labels imported" window it says "Your labels where imported from...". It should be "were". Cheers.

Keep clam & hodl on
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 01:02:24 PM

A quick update: I managed to uninstall electrum, reinstall, and restore from seed - but still missing the coins.

A bit off topic: Thomas, at the "Labels imported" window it says "Your labels where imported from...". It should be "were". Cheers.

thanks for the typo.

so, as I mentioned in PM, I did not find anything wrong with your wallet.
can you give me the the id of the transactions that you believe resulted in a loss of coins?

carpetbagger (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:14:15 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2013, 02:11:55 AM by carpetbagger

My pleasure. Due to the "successful transaction" window not appearing, and no record being in the Transactions tab, I have no idea what the transaction IDs would have been. I understand what you said in PM about fees and confirmation times, but even so, previous transactions seem to show instantly on blockchain.info, just with no confirmations at first. Another indicator that it was never sent is that the address I was sending to is a gambling site where they seem to accept deposits with zero confirmations. (Bitzino)

This is the address I sent to anyway: (removed)
Thanks for trying.

Keep clam & hodl on
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 03:06:54 PM

may I ask what makes you believe you lost some bitcoins?

if you used a gambling site with zero confirmations, and the transaction you sent to place your bet is not confirmed, then
the possible gains you received from the gambling site will be cancelled too, because that transaction depends on the first one.

hence my question: are those disappeared bitcoins a gambling gain?

carpetbagger (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:41:38 PM

Well, I would never notice a missing 0.04 btc usually because I don't keep that close of a check on my exact balance. But I recently put some larger amounts into my wallet, so the total was just over 35 btc. Then I was depositing the 0.02 to Bitzino so I could play with it, but just a little so I would still have over 35 btc in my wallet. So I noticed after the problems that it was now 34.99573686. There was nothing pending in the bottom left status/balance at the time.

I can't tell you the exact balance before the problem or even if the current balance is exactly 0.04 too short, just that I am positive the balance should have been slightly >35 btc.

I haven't received any payouts from the gambling site. In case it's confusing, Bitzino operates differently from the satoshidice blockchain style. You deposit the btc to your bitzino account and from there on, all the gambling takes place on their own servers so there are no delays/send fees/blockchain size issues.

It's late here so I have to sleep but I'll attempt sending another small amount tomorrow and take note of the balances in case it occurs again.

Keep clam & hodl on
carpetbagger (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:09:27 PM

I sent two transactions of 0.01 btc to the address today without issue.

Keep clam & hodl on
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: