Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:40:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Halving and Technological Upgrades  (Read 1079 times)
icanscript (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 11:31:18 PM

Now with block halving coming it worries me that lots of people will turn their miners off due to lack of profit or no profit what so ever.

Are we due new tech chips coming soon? Do current asics match up to only getting a reward of 12.5 BTC?

I am looking at mining hardware but really unsure whether to wait or not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
talks_cheep
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 01:36:28 AM

Now with block halving coming it worries me that lots of people will turn their miners off due to lack of profit or no profit what so ever.

Are we due new tech chips coming soon? Do current asics match up to only getting a reward of 12.5 BTC?

Don't worry, no one's turning off their miners, did you not notice the btc price has risen to 750? The break-even point is 400 for average miners these days, so they're making 350 in profit.

New tech chips have already come out, did you not notice Bitmain's S9? Current ASICs, including S7 and Avalon 6 will be profitable at 12.5 block reward after the halving.

I think you're worrying needlessly, there's nothing to worry about, miners will continue to mine, most of them are adding more miners, you should too.

icanscript (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 02:56:52 AM

Don't worry, no one's turning off their miners, did you not notice the btc price has risen to 750? The break-even point is 400 for average miners these days, so they're making 350 in profit.

New tech chips have already come out, did you not notice Bitmain's S9? Current ASICs, including S7 and Avalon 6 will be profitable at 12.5 block reward after the halving.

I think you're worrying needlessly, there's nothing to worry about, miners will continue to mine, most of them are adding more miners, you should too.

Think I might, The devil on my right shoulder is telling me to spend my BTC on miners and run about 20 of them. The angel on my left is saying, just wait for price rise and withdraw for family Sad
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 08:19:45 AM

I suspect some S5/SP20 generation miners WILL shut down at the halfing, due to high power cost making them unprofitable.
 S7/A6 and later should remain profitable - that generation at this point is the majority of the hashrate - so any hashrate dip at the halfing should be fairly small, and won't last long.

IMO the S9 is still overpriced - I'm waiting for competition for it to show up and drive the price down, given there have been A FEW announced 14/16nm generation miners there should be competition fairly soon.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for pricing info and final miner specs on the Innosilicon A4 too - so many options once I get moved (I'm got the van mostly packed for my first load "grab stuff I don't need right away and move it, find a place to move TO if possible if not toss it into storage temporarily 'till I DO find a place" planned run, probably will be on the road sometime tomorrow).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 10:46:42 AM

I suspect some S5/SP20 generation miners WILL shut down at the halfing, due to high power cost making them unprofitable.
 S7/A6 and later should remain profitable - that generation at this point is the majority of the hashrate - so any hashrate dip at the halfing should be fairly small, and won't last long.

IMO the S9 is still overpriced - I'm waiting for competition for it to show up and drive the price down, given there have been A FEW announced 14/16nm generation miners there should be competition fairly soon.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for pricing info and final miner specs on the Innosilicon A4 too - so many options once I get moved (I'm got the van mostly packed for my first load "grab stuff I don't need right away and move it, find a place to move TO if possible if not toss it into storage temporarily 'till I DO find a place" planned run, probably will be on the road sometime tomorrow).

Most people still running S5s are SP20s either have free electricity or extremely cheap electricity (0.01$/kwh) so I don't expect many of those to turn off. The dip will happen, but it's overhyped, and who cares? Lower diff is good. S9's are a great investment right now for anybody- their cost is pretty high,but their performance is good, AND you'll make a good profit before the halving. If you bought B1, you might have made about 200$+ before the halving, which brings the price down a bit. The later batch prices will fall, but at a price.
tbonetony

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

No zuo no die why you try, u zuo u die dont be shy

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 05:40:19 AM

Can you elaborate on what "a few" may be?

Customizable full-featured crypto trading platform in development. Asking for demo if interested.

I offer private S9 rental for various length: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1708351.0
icanscript (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 05:51:39 AM

Can you elaborate on what "a few" may be?

I think he means like bitmain antminer s9 and new bitfury chip
Gaugh

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 08:56:51 AM

Talking about profit margin with the coming halving, I do not think S7 will give as much profit as it used to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: