Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:28:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S9 Setup [HD]  (Read 40275 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2016, 06:54:32 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2016, 07:47:03 AM by dogie
Merited by LoyceV (4), HagssFIN (1)

Dogie's Miner Setup Guides:
    ASICMiner Blade
ASICMiner Cube
ASICMiner Tube
ASICMiner Prisma
Avalon Avalon2
Avalon Avalon3
Avalon Avalon4
Avalon Avalon6
SpondooliesTech SP10
SpondooliesTech SP20
SpondooliesTech SP30
SpondooliesTech SP35
Technobit HEX16B
Technobit HEX8A1
Technobit HEX4M
Technobit 2HEX4M
KNCMiner Saturn/Jupiter
Bitmain AntMiner S1
Bitmain AntMiner S2
Bitmain AntMiner S3
Bitmain AntMiner S4
Bitmain AntMiner S4+
Bitmain AntMiner S5
Bitmain AntMiner S7
Bitmain AntMiner S9
Bitmain AntMiner C1
Bitmain AntMiner U3
RockMiner R-Box
RockMiner New R-Box
RockMiner R3-Box
RockMiner T1
HashCoins Apollo
HashCoins Ares
NonceTech Sampo
Yiazo YBF
BTCGarden AMV1
Bitmine Coincraft Desk V2
HashRatio Tsunami
XBTech Pacific 1250
BitCrane T-110
Black Arrow Prospero X1
AMT 1.25TH
C-Scape HexFury USB
C-Scape BiFury USB
MoonlightMiner NanoFury II USB
    Gigampz PSU breakout board

Guide meta thread
    DefaultTrust Visualisation
    Power Supply analysis guide
    Manufacturer trustworthiness guide
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nicely formatted version available at dogiecoin.com!

Contents:
0a) What to Expect
0b) What You Need
1) Powering
2) Cooling
3) Case
4) Configuration
5) Troubleshooting
6) Where to buy

0a) What to Expect (top)
Bitmain's AntMiner S9 represents a significant jump in efficiency from its predecessor, the S7. Hash density is 4x higher while efficiency increased 2.5x due to
the use of new 16nm BM1387 chips. 189 chips in power efficient string design are used across 3 mining boards, which are cooled by two loud, powerful 120mm fans.
The S9 is standalone does not require an external controller, but does not come with a power supply.

Hashing__________________________
Chips189x BM1387 16nm Gen5
Hashrate~13.75TH
Variable Hashrate?
Max Overclock~13.75TH
|
Powering
Rated Voltage12V
Rated Current115A
Power Consumption1375W
PSU Included?
Mains Voltage-
Eco Modes?
110V 15A Suitable?
PCI-E Connectors?10

Cooling________________________
Max Ambient40C
Noise @ 25C75dba
Noise @ 35C77dba
Manual Fan Speed?
|
Controller
Included?
Wireless?
DHCP? Stock?
Reset? Brick Proof?
|
Safety
Fan Guards?
Enclosed PCBs?

0b) What You Need (top)
You will need a few accessories and a power supply to get started. I recommend buying Bitmain's 1600W PSU along with your S9 if possible.

Click your flag to find everything you need to get started at Amazon!             

1) Powering (top)
S9's do not come with a power supply, and you will need a very high end computer PSU with 10xPCI-E 6 pin power connectors. Officially all 10 PCI-E
connectors are required, with three going to each of the three hashing boards and a further PCI-E direct to the controller. While you can use two smaller PSUs
to power one miner as long as you have them power separate hashing boards, it will still be  cheaper to buy Bitmain's 1600W PSU. It is important to note
that as a ~1400W miner it is NOT suitable for a standard US 110V 15A circuit and you should not attempt to use the miner. You can either have a qualified
electrician provide you with a 220V circuit or you can use two smaller smaller PSUs powered by different circuits.

We also need to tell the PSU to always be on, as there isn't a motherboard to do this. Cut a paperclip into a U and insert it into the green wire and either
black wire to the side of the green wire. Tape it up for safety. The power supply will now be controlled by its switch near the rear socket.

2) Cooling (top)
The S9 is self sufficient in cooling terms and utilises two high pressure 120*38mm fans to move air through the miner. The rear fan spins at up to 4200rpm
while the new front Delta Electronics QFR1212GHE fan spins at up to 6000rpm and generates a noise level of 77dba at 1m which is too loud for home mining.
You will need to underclock the miner if you want to seriously consider running these at home. The fan's RPM is automatically controlled by the software but
can be partially overridden for low temperature conditions or underclocking when noise levels are a priority.

Each mining chip has its own bonded extruded aluminium heatsinks both front and back, while the front heatsinks also being nickel coated. These are much
less sharp than the previous routed heatsinks and can be handled with care.

3) Case (top)
A single piece of extruded aluminium serves as the S9's case, similar to the ASICMiner Cube. Small inserts align hashing boards in place while end
brackets are screwed onto either end to keep them in place and allow for fan mounting. S9's are stackable when placed on their side due to interlocking
male and female slots designed into the outside of the case, although top side access is required for accessing the PCI-E ports. The customised controller
board is slotted into additional extruded aluminium housing which sits atop of the miner and held into place by notches.

A boxed S9 weighs 4.0kg and measures 380mm x 210mm x 220mm while the unit alone weighs 3.6kg and measures 350mm x 135mm x 158mm.

Click here to see a 360 degree view!

4) Configuration (top)
The S9 is standalone and does not require an external controller.

Wiring:
  • Prepare the paperclip for the PSU's 24 pin connector if using a normal PSU.
  • Plug in the ten PCI-E cables to the miner.
  • Plug in an ethernet cable from the AntMiner to your router.

Configuration:
  • Power on the power supply using its switch at the back.
  • Make sure that your router's DHCP table is turned on. You can assume it is already on if you have a typical router.
  • Using a browser, navigate to your router and find the IP it has assigned the S9 and navigate to that IP.
  • Login using "root" as both the username and password.
  • Navigate to the page Status -> Miner Configuration. Enter your pool information in the below format.
  • Navigate to the page "Miner Status" to check mining has started.
Antpool Register!
Code:
Servers : stratum.antpool.com:3333
User    : username.worker or username_worker - auto creates workers!
Password: anypassword
GHash IO Register!
Code:
Servers : us1.ghash.io:3333
User    : username.worker  - auto creates workers!
Password: anypassword

5) Troubleshooting (top)
Under ASIC status, one chip is always an "x"?Will the miner ever beep?
  - There is a faulty chip - nothing we can do. Hash rate will be affected by ~1%.  - No, there is no beeper on this controller.

Under ASIC status, one row is almost all "x"es?

I can connect to the Antminer but the status page is blank?
  - One board may have dropped temporarily. Try hard resetting the miner by powering it on and off at the PSU.  - You may have entered an incorrect miner setting causing cgminer
to crash. Post a screenshot of your configuration page if still unsure.

How do I reset settings to default?

What temperatures should I aim for?
  - Use a paper clip to press the reset button - located next to the LEDs and ethernet connector - down for 5-10 seconds. The miner will then reset with stock settings.  - Try and achieve <100°C for best hash rates, and <90°C for long lifetimes.
Temperatures over over 110°C may cause the miner to stop.

How do I change the login password?

Where can I get the latest firmware?
  - Navigate to System -> Administration. Enter the current password and enter your new one twice.  - Download from Bitmain's site.

What is the SSH login?

How can I tell what firmware version I have now?
  - Username "root", password "admin".  - Navigate to System -> Overview and look at "File System Version".

What do the LEDs on the front mean?

How do I install the latest firmware?
  - The green LED will flash when mining, and the red LED will remain on while in an error or overheat state.  - Download firmware as above. Navigate to System -> Upgrade and click
"browse". Select the downloaded file and click "Flash image". Do NOT
interrupt this process or you will brick the unit.

Legal disclaimer: This information is for general guidance and does not constitute expert advice. We are not responsible if you, your property or a third
party is injured or damaged as a result of any interaction with this information, and no warranty is provided. All text and images are covered by copyright.

6) Where to buy (top)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2016, 06:00:31 PM

Updated title picture, flickr's 1024 generated image seemed to be weird.

miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 09:58:12 PM

I cant just set the miner to pools like Mining Rig Rentals or Nice Hash.
Is anyone having the same issue as me?
kenshirothefist

Activity: 457
Merit: 273

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 11:39:44 PM

Make sure to upgrade to latest firmware: https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720160628032419599ebY2YSlj06DE

Original firmware has some bugs that were fixed in firmware updates.
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 09:06:14 AM

Make sure to upgrade to latest firmware: https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720160628032419599ebY2YSlj06DE

There are 3 different files, what is the difference between them?
I have not found where is the changelog document. If you have it or someone I'll be glad to read it. Thanks
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 09:38:09 AM

There are 3 different files, what is the difference between them?
I have not found where is the changelog document. If you have it or someone I'll be glad to read it. Thanks

The difference is the frequency different batches used different frequencies.   You can tell in file name: s9-20160624-650M.tar.gz  So this one is for the 650 frequency.  One that uses this is Batch 1 I believe.

Look at Batch 7 - https://enshop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201607061255410704Cf0TyV70656 you will see on spec - Default Frequency: 600M .  So you would want the 600 frequency firmware s9-20160624-600M.tar.gz .

So check batch on default frequency before selecting firmware.   As always be cautious during firmware updates don't restart during or other bad things.
Liquid71

Activity: 835

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 03:15:56 AM

Any possibility to upgrade the fans to quieter ones without losing cfm or compromising performance/cooling?

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 11:07:52 AM

Any possibility to upgrade the fans to quieter ones without losing cfm or compromising performance/cooling?

At stock speeds (of batch 1 anyway) the boards are pushing their absolute limit. With a moderate underclock I believe you could swap out the crazy loud fan for a 'normal' 120x35 which would bring the S9 back to S7 levels.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:54:11 PM

At stock speeds (of batch 1 anyway) the boards are pushing their absolute limit. With a moderate underclock I believe you could swap out the crazy loud fan for a 'normal' 120x35 which would bring the S9 back to S7 levels.

It is worth noting if you do this you technically have voided warranty:
  "a. Customer removes/replaces any components by himself without receiving permission from Bitmain first;"

Don't know chances of getting caught but if honest that would void it.  I personally would not risk it on a new S9.  But if you do like dogie said underclock, and also make sure to monitor heat after and see how it does.   During summer it can get hot some places.
Liquid71

Activity: 835

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 10:31:53 PM

It is worth noting if you do this you technically have voided warranty:
  "a. Customer removes/replaces any components by himself without receiving permission from Bitmain first;"

Don't know chances of getting caught but if honest that would void it.  I personally would not risk it on a new S9.  But if you do like dogie said underclock, and also make sure to monitor heat after and see how it does.   During summer it can get hot some places.
I have no ventilation in my garage so summer mining has to be in the house until fall, which heat isn't a problem but the noise is so I was just hoping there might be a way around the noise. Thanks for the replies

tetanka

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 01:13:16 PM

Hi Dogie,

Maiden post here:)

Anyway,

"Antpool Register!
Code:
Servers : stratum.antpool.com:3333
User    : username.worker or username_worker - auto creates workers!
Password: anypassword"

Regarding the instruction to register, what is the 'username' in the 'username.worker'? As i understand it, 'worker' can be any name i choose, right?

Thanks in advance:)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 02:45:41 PM

Regarding the instruction to register, what is the 'username' in the 'username.worker'? As i understand it, 'worker' can be any name i choose, right?
Username is your antpool username you used to sign up on the site with. Worker can be anything.

tetanka

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 04:34:24 PM

Dogie, thanks for the quick reply.

But i sign into antpool with an email address. Ive tried logging in with the only other username that comes out from the antpool account, but it doesnt log on successfully. Do i use that username for 'username.worker'?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 04:49:18 PM

Dogie, thanks for the quick reply.

But i sign into antpool with an email address. Ive tried logging in with the only other username that comes out from the antpool account, but it doesnt log on successfully. Do i use that username for 'username.worker'?

Yes use that username, mine is dogie.

so I can use dogie.anythingIwantherewhichisjustformyownrecordsofwhatminerisdoingwhat, or dogie.S9 its up to you

tetanka

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 05:53:27 PM

Thanks a bunch:)
flogy4031

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 06:30:16 PM

Hello guys! I'm quite new to bitcoin mining (also don't mind the writing mistakes pls, English is not my first language). I've bought 4 pcs Antminer S9 and on one of them I have a frustrating problem, maybe you can help or maybe you have an ideea (other than hitting it with a baseball bat!   Smiley )
And they started mining like 2 days ago...
In the Miner status window under ASIC I only get 2 rows of "ooo... "
In the Kernel Log I get    "Chain[J7] has 0 asic"

and

"Test Patten on chain[5]: FAILED!
Test Patten on chain[6]: FAILED!
Test Patten on chain[7]: FAILED!"

P.S. I have started a ticket with Bitmain, but no answer yet.
I've rebooted, reset, hard reset, reflashed with latest software version

Thank you for any thoughts Cheesy

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2016, 08:30:49 PM

1. Unplug modules until you find the bad one.
2. Try that module on a different controller port (shift the white ribbon cable over)
3. If no luck, RMA the board with Bitmain as there's little we can do for this.

flogy4031

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 09:26:38 PM

thank you!
I'll try that Smiley
I'll let you know how it went
flogy4031

View Profile
November 13, 2016, 05:28:21 PM

Hello! I've performed a FW upgrade and now I see the middle row (chain 7) but I've got an x under temp and still the hash rate there is 0.
??..

And another thing (becouse I am verry lucky) I've updated the others to the latest FW version and I cannot acces one of them...
The upgrade went well, but I can't see it's IP and cannot connect to the web interface.
Mining can be frustrating sometimes.
Do you know if I can flash the antminer S9 from SD card?
Thank you.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2016, 03:32:08 AM

Hello! I've performed a FW upgrade and now I see the middle row (chain 7) but I've got an x under temp and still the hash rate there is 0.
Board is still dead and nothing really changed. Still proceed with RMA.

And another thing (becouse I am verry lucky) I've updated the others to the latest FW version and I cannot acces one of them... The upgrade went well, but I can't see it's IP and cannot connect to the web interface.
Have you tried holding down the reset button the controller? As long as the firmware update went fine, the S9 should hop back to DCHP as it was when it shipped.

Do you know if I can flash the antminer S9 from SD card?
Instructions for S2+ are here, although the file doesn't specifically mention the S9 its the right technique at least. If you can find an s9.img then those are the instructions you need.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: