Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:44:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin - day 1  (Read 1490 times)
txoomy (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 01:29:59 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2013, 01:43:45 PM by txoomy

I've been hearing about Bitcoin for about a year, with scepticism, and decided a couple of days ago to move ahead with becoming an investor.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Downloaded Bitcoin-Qt (Mac)
- Let it synchronize (took about 20 hours)
- Encrypted my wallet (from within Bitcoin-Qt)
- Backup up my wallet.dat file (shut down Bitcoin-Qt and copied wallet.dat from ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/)
- Put my wallet.dat file on two external hard drives

Did I miss anything here, considered a first step?

I have a few questions:

- At this point I only plan on buying bitcoins. Do I have to keep backing up my wallet.dat file after every transaction? If not, when?
- I want to join a mining pool. I have in iMac with a dedicated video card. Is there an easy to install and use mining app for Mac?
- There is nobody nearby me to trade local (small town in Canada) so I'd prefer to use an exchange or PayPal. How can I find someone who will trust me, that I won't reverse the charge as I hear is a common complaint - or is there an easy to use exchange for Canadians?

Thanks in advance for any help..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
txoomy (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 02:28:03 PM

Thanks for the response and tips.

I'll backup my ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/ directory too, so I don't have to re-download the blockchain.

I don't plan on solo mining, but would like to join a pool. I believe what I need is some Mac mining software and sign into a pool, correct? My iMac has an ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB card. Not great, but I need to start somewhere. Can anyone recommend good mining software?
Surpbitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 03:02:00 PM

Cavirtex.com

canadianbitcoins.com

Wink
txoomy (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 03:43:12 PM

Thanks, have you personally used either of these?
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 04:15:55 PM

Ive used canadianbitcoins multiple times. Very professional, fairly fast (i did a cash deposit last time, got coins in under 2hrs), and responsive/good communication. They have a brick and mortar real address, publicly posted contact numbers. I feel very secure and.confident dealing with them.

txoomy (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 04:53:41 PM

Ive used canadianbitcoins multiple times. Very professional, fairly fast (i did a cash deposit last time, got coins in under 2hrs), and responsive/good communication. They have a brick and mortar real address, publicly posted contact numbers. I feel very secure and.confident dealing with them.

Can you please explain in simplistic terms how the process works, dealing with RBC and canadianbitcoins.com?
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 04:58:41 PM

Build a dedicated mining rig if you wish to mine & mine Litecoins on it, see my sig, with ASICs about to take over the Bitcoin network there's no point aiming for that. Also check out the blockchain.info wallet much more user friendly than the client one.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 05:02:10 PM

Also be wary of "investing" in bitcoin. It can do anything other money can do, including investing. However speculating in an unregulated market can lead to ugly losses. Don't invest anything you cant loose %100 of.
You might want to see the real power of bitcoin as a currency first. Once you have some coin, the world is your garage sale.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 05:36:40 PM

Can you please explain in simplistic terms how the process works, dealing with RBC and canadianbitcoins.com?

Create your buy order at canadianbitcoins.com, you will be sent an email with a very specific amount to deposit (ie if you want $500 worth of coins, your deposit amount might be $500.43, the added cents are used to ID your specific order, you will recieve $500.43 worth of bitcoins) and an RBC account number to deposit to. If you deposit before noon, chances are good you get your coins same day within a couple hours. After noon, the transaction may get pushed by the bank to next morning. Cash is faster than a cheque deposit or money order or bank draft, so use cash if possible. This is all explained on their website.

soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:06:12 PM

Build a dedicated mining rig if you wish to mine & mine Litecoins on it, see my sig, with ASICs about to take over the Bitcoin network there's no point aiming for that. Also check out the blockchain.info wallet much more user friendly than the client one.

Can one simply run something like rpcminer-cpu directed to a Litecoin pool or is there some fundamental difference between Bitcoin miners and Litecoin miners?
Lucky13

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:12:52 PM

Sup.
txoomy (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:50:59 PM

Thanks for the response and tips.

I'll backup my ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/ directory too, so I don't have to re-download the blockchain.

I don't plan on solo mining, but would like to join a pool. I believe what I need is some Mac mining software and sign into a pool, correct? My iMac has an ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB card. Not great, but I need to start somewhere. Can anyone recommend good mining software?

You can mine for educational purposes with your off-the-shelf system. As it was stated before, you won't be able to produce a big amount of coins, actually only cents per month probably, but at least you'll have a better understanding of the mining process and how pools work.
I don't mine on mac so I cannot tell you about mining soft for it, but I'm sure there are many, just search the forums and/or google. Fundamentally they are all the same.

I've Googled and don't see much for Macs Sad
txoomy (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 02:55:36 PM

I've found https://www.bitcoinscanada.ca too
gadexx

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 04:05:11 PM

I've found https://www.bitcoinscanada.ca too

how about us people ? looks interesting
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 04:13:52 PM

Can one simply run something like rpcminer-cpu directed to a Litecoin pool or is there some fundamental difference between Bitcoin miners and Litecoin miners?

I have no idea about mining, check the info in the links in my sig or ask on btc-e exchange chat box or litecoin forums if you still need more info, there's lots about mining in threads on the forum in my sig.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:10:07 PM

Litecoin use a different algorithm for mining, not the one Bitcoin use.

Oh and cpu mining is wasted time and energy

ftping

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

200 OK

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:18:05 PM

I would still CPU mine if you're not paying for the energy usage, but only LTC, not BTC.
S M I L Y

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

https://www.chynge.net/

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Iv been mining with video cards for almost 2 years now, Even during time of negative profit.  I have never regretted it. 
 If you are in it for the long haul it will pay off.

Ill be mining with video cards till my ASICs come in.

Plus its really cool to be part of the bitcoin network.

MIST514

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 06:31:27 PM

Strange, I cash deposit pay 8% commission (rip off) but I get the BTC in wallet in under 30mins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: