Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:11:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Btcrecover: no progress bar and other questions.  (Read 846 times)
Graver (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 03:32:03 PM

I have a Blockchain wallet but I'm locked out. My password is not working and my mnemonic phrase is wrong. Despite I just only have 1 mnemonic phrase ever written down in my life.
I used to connect with my wallet true the app with the pin-code. But I have a new mobile and forgot to transfer the Bitcoins to another account (Bitstamp). I removed the sd-card from my old mobile into the new and now the app on my old mobile doesn't work any more (the app seemed to be installed on that SD-card). So that SD-card can't be used anymore because it was formatted during installing it in the new mobile.
Contacted support of Blockchain and the only that they can do is remove the Two Factor Authentication. And that is what they did on my request but it didn't solved my problem.

Now I'm trying to use btcrecover as a last hope but I encounter some problems.

I started btcrecover with this command:

Code:
C:\python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet.aes.json --tokenlist tokens.txt --autosave savefile --no-dupchecks

and it started counting passwords. There is no progress bar.

If it appears to be stuck just counting upwards with the message Counting passwords ... and no progress bar, please read the Memory limitations section

It's running on a laptop with 6GB ram and the laptop was all the time accessible. How to fix the problem with the missing progress bar? Where to justify for example the amount of threads?

During typing this message btcrecover stopped with the message:

at least 13,322,800,000 passwords to try, ETA > --max eta option (168 hours), exiting

How can I expand the ETA?

Last question: I'm trying to bruteforce a backup of Blockchain wallet. The possible password exists of a combination of numbers, upper en lower case letters. All together between 8 and 11 characters. Is this tokens.txt correct for the job?

Code:
%8,11in

Thank you in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Graver (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2016, 10:43:57 AM

Is it possible to guess the mnemonic phrase with the mnemonic I have? 12 words.

Maybe I have misplaced them during writing.  Cry
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2016, 11:32:36 AM

Is it possible to guess the mnemonic phrase with the mnemonic I have? 12 words.

Maybe I have misplaced them during writing.  Cry

Maybe, I dont know. Only ever tried it for electrum, try following the "seed recovery guide".

To your initial problem:

The number of passwords is too large for btcrecover to test. There is a build in limit where it wont even start. You can use

--no-eta -d -d -d -d

to avoid the password counting as well as all dup-checks. This will also circumvent this limit. Other than that you can follow the tip and set --max-eta to a higher limit.

If you are unsure about the tokenfile you made, you can use

--listpass --token yourtokenfile

to let it show you the passwords. This should give you a rough idea if the passwords generated are correct. Yours looks fine though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Graver (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 12:23:01 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 12:34:03 PM by Graver

shorena, thank you for your valuable info.

I did some tests with less possibility's and the progress bar is indeed visible. And the amount of possibility's is correct with less characters. So that works.

Unfortunately it didn't solved my password puzzle.  

But I have another thought: Is there a list available of the list of words that Blockchain uses to create the mnemonic?

I have found a list ( https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/english.txt )  but this is not used by Blockchain.
If I would have this list then I could compare it with my words to exclude typos.
I think this list exists because it's open source I think.

The matter is that I have created a new BC wallet as a test and I did made some typos during writing. So it is possible that I also have made typos during creating of my first (and lost ) wallet.

Thank you for reading.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: