Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:41:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: declaring coins to the IRS?  (Read 2018 times)
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:26:32 PM

If you're living in a country with taxes, you are receiving the benefits of various public goods. If you don't think this is the case, go live in a tax haven - but if you're living in a first world country and not paying those taxes you are free-riding and morally in the wrong. Don't do that.

You are entitled to your opinion and so am I.  Piss off

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
BitHits

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 01:39:05 PM

..You do know there is no legal requirement or precedent for you to pay taxes...at all right? Just ask any former IRS Agent. They will tell you the same.

Free BTC http://beta.BitHits.info BTC 1DNNERMT5MMusfYnCBfcKCBjBKZWBC5Lg2 DGC DH2Pm4VXxsTeqUYZkEySU1c8p5TLvuLe8u LTC LP2QiL1pnsaKVX5Qa811pFJuFL8FxkxWRz
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:58:07 PM

I don't even file my taxes. Havent since 09. Fuck em Bastards

Good luck with in your future endeavors!!  Huh

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:46:30 PM

If you're living in a country with taxes, you are receiving the benefits of various public goods. If you don't think this is the case, go live in a tax haven - but if you're living in a first world country and not paying those taxes you are free-riding and morally in the wrong. Don't do that.
In my country most taxes are spent on war rather than public goods. I would happily pay my full amount if there were more libraries and parks rather than drones and bunker busting missiles. Just my .02.

Maybe choosing your representatives better would work?

PAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!!

Someone on this forum actually believes we choose the people who claim to represent us?

You don't?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:56:43 PM

thats bad ass. i file my taxes because they give me tons of money back every time and im no where near interested in principals enough to walk away from that.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:46:18 PM

thats bad ass. i file my taxes because they give me tons of money back every time and im no where near interested in principals enough to walk away from that.

A couple things...  you have your withholding setup wrong if you get a large refund every year - AND if you ever do have substantial income you're in the IRS system.

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:13:53 PM

A couple things...  you have your withholding setup wrong if you get a large refund every year - AND if you ever do have substantial income you're in the IRS system.

+1

The money you get back is actually money you lend the IRS for them to profit from it during the year and then they give you what's yours and they keep the interests they made.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:14:35 PM

What about claiming capitol gains? That is, pay on the value appreciation at the current 20% rate upon use of coins for purchase, or upon turning them back into dollars.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Lucifer

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:22:02 PM

Think of it the same as cash. If you are a business owner and accept cash for the goods/services you provide, you are required to report these sales and pay taxes on them. It's exactly the same if you accept Bitcoin. To some extent, it's based on the honor system. There are ways people get caught failing to report or under-reporting income but of course there are ways to hide unreported income. I'm not advocating it, of course. Just stating the reality of it.

If you are making money speculating in Bitcoin as a currency, then you wouldn't be expected to report or pay income tax on any capital gains until you cashed it out. Instead of "cashing out" by exchanging your Bitcoin back into your local currency, you could roll it over into silver. There are at least two websites I've found that accept Bitcoin for silver and gold.

If you are making a couple hundred dollars a month or less you can probably claim it is just a hobby and not have to worry about it impacting your taxes. But I'm no expert.
deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:27:30 PM

As someone said, if you do not convert your coins to legal tender, there's no need to pay taxes. Basically, stay in the bitcoin domain, support the bitcoin and you will never have to pay a single dollar in tax. If you buy an car, or a house using bitcoin, it is sure that both parties, seller ad buyer understand the bitcoin and can agree to simply gift the house or car or property to someone without having to pay sales taxes!
just s thought.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
hashrate

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 06:17:33 PM

Bitcoins should be seen as a commodity.

As long as you hold only BTC. Once you've exchanged into USD or the FIAT of your choice you'll need to report that income or risk some serious headaches, fees and fines.
knives

Activity: 18

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:11:25 PM

I see. That's a very interesting point of view, but I'd like to add my in order to fuel discussion.

In a so-called democracy two parties created a totally non-proportional, election law. So whatever happens you end up with two choices which do not differ that much. That's the USA.

I paid taxes for years while I had a relatively small income. When the income grew, I continued paying my fare share of taxes.

Bad thing for me, I *understand* finance a bit more than avg "Joe". What I see is bankers stealing money and people voting parties that turn Al Capone like candidates into Secretary of Treasury, like Henry Paulson for example, turning them insanely rich out of thin air.

Banks buy high risk bonds, first they get the results of accepting high risk bets. Then they get bailed out because they are too-big-to-fail, they also get away legally tax-free with millions (because the CREATE jobs, that's shit they don't create nothing except for bubbles) and I get *raped* with an unemployment rate rising, money debasement and so forth. When I protest, what do I get? Police bullying me.

Truth is that at least 50% do not vote in the USA. Are these people accountable? For me everybody is.

So considering that we have a totally immoral Government. I firmly believe that is immoral to support it in any possible way, thus paying taxes. Taxes are the measure from which government derives power (money). If you cut the ability to a state to tax on people, it will collapse in time. Aritotle, Ghandi and Karl Marx (and many others) had all the same view: If you believe your government is illegal, avoid paying taxes.

Best Regards,

knives
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:49:37 PM

Its really sad to keep seeing this question, its like a slave being let out of his cage, dosnt know where to go or what to do.

you have been given the tools of freedom, be creative, why contribute to there fiat money ponzi scheme that is creating hell on earth for many people foreign and domestic?

why not calculate your taxes owed, do some creative magic with bitcoin, take 10% off for you and yours then donate the rest to local charitable projects?

It's a learned behavior. You live your whole life under the threat of punishment for breaking their "rules", and this is what you get.
acct (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:05:25 AM

OK I understand they are not taxed until I exchange for $ but I am not mining so I can not claim such expenses. Say I get rid of 1k coins over the course of a year, how can I prove what profit truly was without real evidence of the price coins were obtained for?
dscotese

Activity: 444

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 02:19:20 AM

Speaking of which, check out this contest.

I also recommend making damn sure you owe anything before you let them take (or keep, if you've been W-9'd) your earnings.  For an in-depth discussion of how rare this is, even while following all the stupid laws they make up, check out Pete Hendrickson's site.

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
screamingservers

Activity: 22

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:29:26 AM

You said it. Since he govt does not recognize btc as currency, you only have to report, when you 1. translate the currency in to USD or you purchase Items in USD... or for example you use a BTC to USD purchasing converter like the amazon thingy somebody made up.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:10:39 AM

maybe i dont know shit about taxes, i dont even know what "you have your withholding setup wrong" means, it sounds like french to me. And as for being in the system, i got like 7k this year, idc what system im in im not passing that up.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
christop

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 07:38:09 AM

maybe i dont know shit about taxes, i dont even know what "you have your withholding setup wrong" means, it sounds like french to me. And as for being in the system, i got like 7k this year, idc what system im in im not passing that up.
His point was that you're paying the government more in taxes throughout the year than you actually owe them and then getting it back when you file your tax return. They're essentially getting an interest-free loan from you. You can fill out a W-4 form (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf) to reduce your withholding and then give it to your employer. You should see over $500 more per month in your paychecks if you set it up right.

Tips are always welcome: 17Z63hLi2ox4fCMhDqVJrLTJiXVcBMJpMo
Alpaca socks donations: 1sockzDWcF8mrC59CgiN7HAJm6xL7TiRW
dscotese

Activity: 444

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 10:43:15 PM

At a rally outside the Alamo

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
kerstone

Activity: 40

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:45:28 PM

[/quote]

could u help me do my taxes? seriously...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: