Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:05:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Service Discussion > New sections.  (Read 1954 times)
JonHolmquist

Activity: 169
Merit: 101

Jon Holmquist

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2016, 08:55:19 PM

I sent messages in to both Cyrus and hilariousandco about adding a new subforum.

The subforum I want added is Adult.

This is a sizable and growing section of Bitcoin consumerism.

It's an industry that is vanilla enough for banks to get involved, but taboo enough that credit card processors hate touching it.

It's a place where Bitcoin actually has a viable use case and is already being used.

I'd like the creation of that subforum solely to connect with other Bitcoiners and help grow the adult Bitcoin industry.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cyrus (OP)
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2950

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 12:24:44 AM

I don't think there are enough Adult business threads yet to warrant such a section.

On the other hand, here's the latest thread about an online wallet posted in Technical Support(I've moved it to Service Discussion in the meantime): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1529212
This is a somewhat common occurence. These threads are created there because, while in need of support regarding an online wallet, Technical Support makes more sense than Service Discussion. An Online Wallets subsection would most likely clear that confusion in the long run.

JonHolmquist

Jon Holmquist

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2016, 05:26:00 PM

I don't think there are enough Adult business threads yet to warrant such a section.

On the other hand, here's the latest thread about an online wallet posted in Technical Support(I've moved it to Service Discussion in the meantime): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1529212
This is a somewhat common occurence. These threads are created there because, while in need of support regarding an online wallet, Technical Support makes more sense than Service Discussion. An Online Wallets subsection would most likely clear that confusion in the long run.

At GoCoin most of our growth has been in adult merchants.

General merchants and other services haven't been growing or have been losing volume.

The addition of an Adult subforum would allow me to better coordinate a community of users who are entering the Bitcoin world from wanting to spend on adult sites.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 06:44:18 PM

I created Online wallets and Exchanges. Not sure about Stores -- I kind of feel like the top-level Service Discussion board makes the most sense for general discussion of stores. And I guess there aren't enough threads for Adult.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
JonHolmquist

Jon Holmquist

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 07:29:03 PM

I created Online wallets and Exchanges. Not sure about Stores -- I kind of feel like the top-level Service Discussion board makes the most sense for general discussion of stores. And I guess there aren't enough threads for Adult.

If I funnel all our adult customers and stores to the forums can you make the subforum?

Cyrus (OP)
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 10:24:11 PM

Thank you. Started moving threads in.
Guys, please report threads that I might have missed.

If I funnel all our adult customers and stores to the forums can you make the subforum?
As you can see, new sections are added when there's a need and enough demand. It's theymos' choice, but if the number of adult services threads increases enough and the interest is sustained, a new section might be eventually created(as was the case with these two new sections).

Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 11:10:33 PM

I do frequent that sub-section and also move a lot of threads in there regarding individual exchanges and online wallets.
I should publicly stated my opinion: I agree with two of the proposed sections, Exchanges and Online wallets.

No please. Service Discussion seems alive when all are together. If u split them up, individual sub-sections will appear dead.
If by 'active' you mean spammed by signature spammers and a huge mess, then I agree. Finding the content that you're looking for on a forum should be easy (which is not the case in that section - as seen in the statistic provided), especially for new members.

Technically, "online wallets" should be under the "Development and Technical Discussion", under "Alternative clients", am I right?

There is quite a big market for NSFW things in the world, and this market has the potential to use bitcoin as it's main currency, as adult uh... things are usually spread through the net. It should have a corresponding way of anonymously sending payments, hence bitcoin would be great.

But I personally feel that having a NSFW board wouldnt be good. Maybe a seperate forum. This forum IIRC was made so that the Development and Technical Discussion was meant to be the main thread. I think it should be restored back to this, not with all these semi-relevant topics like politics, off-topic, investor-based games, etc.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 06:47:02 AM

Quote from: description of Online Wallets
Discussion about online wallets. Warning: online wallets are banks that you are trusting -- for a trustless wallet, you need to run your own wallet software.
If you are using wallet software you either need to a) personally audit the code to ensure that the wallet does not do anything malicious in terms of key generation, transaction signing and overall not having malware b) trust the creator to not include anything malicious in their wallet software, or c) trust someone else to perform "a" for you.

I understand that there have been instances in the past when wallet software itself had caused financial losses to it's users. One example is the RNG issue in 2013 (I want to say that I also remember a specific android wallet that intentionally created private keys with weak RNG -- but maybe this was the same incident). Also, it is alleged that the reason cryptsy became insolvent is because of a malicious (altcoin) wallet.

Maybe the warning could be revised to something along the lines that you must trust the operator of an online wallet with your money, and that there have been a number of losses/hacks/thefts involving online wallets.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 06:53:51 AM

Technically, "online wallets" should be under the "Development and Technical Discussion", under "Alternative clients", am I right?
No, they are anything but 'alternative clients'. You should read the description of the newly added section and you will understand what I mean. Here's the quote:
Discussion about online wallets. Warning: online wallets are banks that you are trusting -- for a trustless wallet, you need to run your own wallet software.
They aren't trustless (you have to trust a 3rd party and they can block transactions e.g. Coinbase and gambling), thus they shouldn't be in 'alternative clients'.

Would that necessarily be better for your customers, stores and the forum? If so, then I'm certain that there would be a subforum if there is enough demand for it ("supply" of such threads).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 06:58:52 AM

No, they are anything but 'alternative clients'. You should read the description of the newly added section and you will understand what I mean. Here's the quote:
They aren't trustless (you have to trusty a 3rd party and they can block transactions e.g. Coinbase and gambling), thus they shouldn't be in 'alternative clients'.

Is that necessarily better for your customers, stores and the forum? If it is, then I'm certain that there will be a subforum (if there is enough demand for it/'supply' of such threads).

So would wallets like BitGo (2 of 3) be considered as online wallets or clients in themself? Because they do have a local client, but they still require a level of trust, in that BitGo/pay won't team up with their key storage service.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 08:58:09 AM

So would wallets like BitGo (2 of 3) be considered as online wallets or clients in themself? Because they do have a local client, but they still require a level of trust, in that BitGo/pay won't team up with their key storage service.
That's a good question and I'd consider that specific wallet a 'mix'. Keep in mind that there aren't that many wallets with similar functionality (at least that I'm aware of). I think that it depends on what the user has problems with. If the user does only use the online interface then the thread should go into 'online wallets', otherwise it should go into 'alternative clients'.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 09:04:50 AM

How about a Advertising networks that pays with Bitcoin such a-ads etc.. section too? (Both questions and announcements and everything related to it)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 05:11:54 PM

Random question (or maybe not) - where does an announcement thread for a wallet/exchange belong? Should they be in the service discussion --> exchanges (or online wallet) section or in the service discussion section?
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2016, 05:25:21 PM

Random question (or maybe not) - where does an announcement thread for a wallet/exchange belong? Should they be in the service discussion --> exchanges (or online wallet) section or in the service discussion section?
Would the announcement not belong in the Service Announcements section, then a discussion/support thread could be made in the Service Discussion->Exchanges/Online Wallets section?

How about a Advertising networks that pays with Bitcoin such a-ads etc.. section too? (Both questions and announcements and everything related to it)
I'm not sure if there is enough demand for that, especially since the Micro Earnings section already encompasses them.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 05:32:11 PM

Would the announcement not belong in the Service Announcements section, then a discussion/support thread could be made in the Service Discussion->Exchanges/Online Wallets section?
That is exactly what I thought, however it appears that announcement threads are being moved out of Service Announcements (look about halfway down on the first page of Service Announcements -- upon reviewing a few of the threads that were moved, I determined that they were in fact announcement threads).
Cyrus (OP)
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 07:54:10 PM

That is exactly what I thought, however it appears that announcement threads are being moved out of Service Announcements (look about halfway down on the first page of Service Announcements -- upon reviewing a few of the threads that were moved, I determined that they were in fact announcement threads).

If certain types of services have a dedicated section then all threads regarding those services should be in there, announcement threads included. Faucet and ad network announcement threads reside in Micro earnings, same for physical coin announcement threads in Collectibles and 'investor-based games' in, well, Investor-based games.
I started moving exchange/online wallets announcement threads in batches to make it more visible.
If I miss anything, please report it, PM it or even reply it here.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: