Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:17:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Writing a Bitcoin exchange  (Read 1027 times)
BitMofo (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:10:29 PM

I am planning on writing a European Bitcoin exchange for my Computer Science final year project.
The exchange will allow for a much larger variety of products such as swaps/forwards/options against other currencies (USD/BTC, EUR/BTC, GBP/BTC etc).
It will also allow for setting stop losses and (hopefully) the option to short.

Having not done any development work with Bitcoin in the past I was wondering if you could point me towards any useful documentation/ suggestions that could help me plan my implementation.
What hurdles will I need to be wary of?

I am looking forward to starting this exciting new project! Smiley

1HNffyHktcD2iB6WJhPxKbALJdg4dwerTG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 03:14:57 PM

If you're developing exchange software with all the features you mention integrating Bitcoin is the easiest part.
Get your swaps/forwards/options working and then we'll talk Smiley

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:38:15 PM

If your exchange involves serving web pages http://bitcoindevkit.com is your library, However if you want to server pages AND do realtime proccessing your going to want to do a C++ and PHP method. PHP will serve pages, and C++ will do the proccessing however I don't have a C++ library for the Bitcoin Dev Kit project as of yet just the PHP so if your project can do with out the realtime and huge loads (which for a school project shouldn't be an issue) then you can create a PHP only exchange (which isn't recommended for anything serious like MTGox, you should defiantly use PHP and C++ like stated before.)
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 03:51:59 PM

If your exchange involves serving web pages http://bitcoindevkit.com is your library, However if you want to server pages AND do realtime proccessing your going to want to do a C++ and PHP method. PHP will serve pages, and C++ will do the proccessing however I don't have a C++ library for the Bitcoin Dev Kit project as of yet just the PHP so if your project can do with out the realtime and huge loads (which for a school project shouldn't be an issue) then you can create a PHP only exchange (which isn't recommended for anything serious like MTGox, you should defiantly use PHP and C++ like stated before.)

Ahem, you don't want PHP, C++, or {insert whatever language here}
You want something that serves a specific purpose, ease of maintenance, performance, etc.
Why not Ruby+Redis ? Why not Node.js+Mongodb ? Why not Erlang+Cassandra ? Why not PHP+MySQL ?
It's not the tool that matters, it's the skill with which you use it.

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:04:08 PM

Ahem, you don't want PHP, C++, or {insert whatever language here}
You want something that serves a specific purpose, ease of maintenance, performance, etc.
Why not Ruby+Redis ? Why not Node.js+Mongodb ? Why not Erlang+Cassandra ? Why not PHP+MySQL ?
It's not the tool that matters, it's the skill with which you use it.

Thanks again davout for your lovely insight.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: