Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:45:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The reasons why Bitcoin securities can’t be regulated by the SEC  (Read 5834 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 12:19:26 PM

Hey, guess what! MP was actually right.

Strategic superiority, a saga.

So what's the legal interpretation of this?

a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

What are the implications of being an exchanger and money transmitter?

They who transmit Bitcoin as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency will conceivably have to get registered. There's a reason bitcoin-central.net is pretty much the only functioning exchange at the present time.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 10:36:54 PM

Hey, guess what! MP was actually right.

Strategic superiority, a saga.

So what's the legal interpretation of this?

a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

What are the implications of being an exchanger and money transmitter?

They who transmit Bitcoin as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency will conceivably have to get registered. There's a reason bitcoin-central.net is pretty much the only functioning exchange at the present time.

I like the "substitutes for currency" part.  Leaves it nice and wide open.  Doesn't any commodity "substitute for currency"?

MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:23:11 AM

I like the "substitutes for currency" part.  Leaves it nice and wide open.  Doesn't any commodity "substitute for currency"?

Sooner or later you will have to take this up with a lawyer, foruming only goes so far.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 12:47:50 AM

Sooner or later you will have to take this up with a lawyer, foruming only goes so far.

Oh yeah, I'm mostly posting for others benefit.  I discuss with lawyerly types on a regular basis.  Wink
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:37:37 AM

$60 Visa gift card = substitute for currency
1 BTC = not a substitute for currency

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: