Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:48:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: European Union is robbing its citizens' bank accounts. 9.9% to be confiscated.  (Read 33188 times)
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:41:55 PM

Arguing extremes seems a fruitless path to walk when defining relations.
I have tried to explain a few times on this forum that any system inside our universe needs to have both static-like and dynamic-like components to be able to interact with the environment and not have it's structure dilluted.
When you take either the static or dynamic component to its extreme the system will stop functioning.
It is all about the right balance in a given situation.
Taken to the extreme the statist view becomes too static and the anarchist view too chaotic.

Thinking in singular extremes is a poor way to define systems.

Basic morals are not negotiable.

Murder unless in self-defence is wrong, no matter how you look at it.

So, how would you classify a mother that killed a person that she perceived as threatning the life of her baby?
What are the basic morals that apply here?

Basic morals is a loaded term.  'Basic Morals' have been fluctuating since humans have been alive.  There is very little static 'truth' in the world, if any.   If there is it's probably only that 'things change' -- including 'Basic Morals'.

But if we are talking about Basic Morels, they are very tasty when butter is applied along with a hot pan.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:44:11 PM

Taken to the extreme the statist view becomes too static and the anarchist view too chaotic.

OK I think I should just take on a mission of explaining to people why equating anarchy with chaos might not be the best way to describe anything and why it's probably just repeating decade-long doublespeak fueled propaganda.

Anarchy doesn't mean chaos. Chaos comes from trying to control that which by its very nature cannot be controlled from a single place. Look anywhere in nature. Look to the stars or to the biosphere - do you see a ruler there? (you might say that you believe in an all powerful God controlling these things - in that case this line of reasoning is not for you) I don't. Yet do you see chaos in the movement of stars or in the behavior of nature? How come that it's fine with everything else but when it comes to humans and their business, suddenly we have to have centrally enforced rules or everything slips into CHAOS?! Is it our cultural viewpoint, which views humans as something distinctly apart from nature (thus allowing humans to ravage their environment in search for quick personal gain)? Or is it a fundamental distrust of other humans (instilled by governments imo...remember divide and conquer?) which makes one scream in horror at the thought of what might happen if people were free to do what they saw fit?

Even putting all this aside, it seems hilarious to me that the proposed solution to the problem of not trusting people in general to behave cooperatively and non-aggressively seems to always be: install a government and put some of those people (which cannot be trusted, remember?) in charge. Not even any people. But the corrupted sociopaths, which are attracted to power as flies are to shit and which only get further corrupted by the power they gain? Very weird.

To reiterate: anarchy is NOT chaos. imposition of order = escalation of chaos. Anarchy just means letting any system find its equilibrium without imposing rules on it. I get why this might be tough for many - it requires trust in other people, in nature, the world and life in general. Trust which has been abused for centuries by institutions like the church and government.

PS: I see some discussion about morality here. You don't need to drag vague moral concepts into the discussion of whether government should or shouldn't exist. Taking a look at what's efficient and what's not seems to be sufficient.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:53:46 PM

Basic morals is a loaded term.  'Basic Morals' have been fluctuating since humans have been alive.  There is very little static 'truth' in the world, if any.   If there is it's probably only that 'things change' -- including 'Basic Morals'.
The principles behind chemistry have always existed, unchanged, since long before humans discovered them. A thousand years ago people thought it was possible to turn lead into gold by reading chicken entrails while smoking peyote, but the fact they were wrong doesn't mean chemistry is flawed.

Morality is the same. Everything that has been put forward historically is self-serving and uselessly contradictory. All that means is we're in a pre-rational state with regards to morality.
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:26:08 PM

So, how would you classify a mother that killed a person that she perceived as threatning the life of her baby?

I made a mistake. What I meant to say was: Murder unless in defense of life and property is wrong.

I see no moral objection against the mother killing a person that is threatening the life of her baby.

Of course things like murder are obvious, but what if a serial killer is murdered?

Same here. No objection against killing a serial killer in defense of someones life.

imo NAP should be the center of society and not a centralized authority called the state.
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:31:46 PM

Everything that has been put forward historically is self-serving and uselessly contradictory. All that means is we're in a pre-rational state with regards to morality.

I agree. If humanity evolves and still exists in hundreds of years, they will look back at the state like we look at slavery and increasingly at religion.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 02:10:03 PM

I made a mistake. What I meant to say was: Murder unless in defense of life and property is wrong.
You made no mistake. Self-defense includes defense of others and defense of property.

The problem with claims like "murder, unless in self-defence, is wrong" is that "murder" already includes elements of wrongfulness in it and self-defence already includes elements of rightfulness in it.

For example, I shoot someone because they were trying to take a car. Is that "murder, unless in self-defence"? Well, yes if it's his car but not if it's my car. So you can't even make sense of "murder, unless in self-defence" until you already have a full theory of rightful ownership of property.

Someone needs a job at my store or else they'll die of starvation. I don't hire them because I want them to die. Is that "murder, unless in self-defence"?

Someone needs a kidney transplant or else they'll die and I have the only matching kidney. I decide not to donate it. Is that "murder, unless in self-defence"?

This is the problem with the NAP. It seems simple and seductive. But you can't actually determine what is or isn't "aggression" until you already have both an absolute notion of property rights and a notion of a scope of moral authority.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
bitster

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:52:34 PM

Iam very dis pointed was hoping for bank runs in Italy and Spain today  Sad
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:04:30 PM

The problem with claims like "murder, unless in self-defence, is wrong" is that "murder" already includes elements of wrongfulness in it and self-defence already includes elements of rightfulness in it.

How does murder include anything else than elements of wrongfulness? Murder is always wrong, only exception is when it is used in defense of life or property. I cannot think of any other situation in which murder would be right.

How does self-defense include any other elements than rightfulness? Self-defense is always right. I cannot think of any situation in which self-defense is wrong.

I don't get the point you are making that the claim "murder is wrong, unless it is used in defense of life or property" is problematic.

For example, I shoot someone because they were trying to take a car. Is that "murder, unless in self-defence"? Well, yes if it's his car but not if it's my car. So you can't even make sense of "murder, unless in self-defence" until you already have a full theory of rightful ownership of property.

You just made sense of it. Murder/killing is wrong if you shoot someone that is trying to take his own car. If he tries to take your car, you are allowed to defend your property.

Someone needs a job at my store or else they'll die of starvation. I don't hire them because I want them to die. Is that "murder, unless in self-defence"?

No. The prerequisite is problematic. How can you know for sure if he is going to die if he doesn't get the job at your store? If it is a fact, you can voluntarily choose to save him, but if you don't you haven't murdered him.

You are introducing another moral argument, which is if people have an obligation to help each other. This is preferable behavior, but only if it is voluntary.

Someone needs a kidney transplant or else they'll die and I have the only matching kidney. I decide not to donate it. Is that "murder, unless in self-defence"?

No. Your kidney is your property. If him going to die is a fact, you can voluntarily choose to donate your kidney and save his life. But if you don't you haven't murdered him.

This is the problem with the NAP. It seems simple and seductive. But you can't actually determine what is or isn't "aggression" until you already have both an absolute notion of property rights and a notion of a scope of moral authority.

So you're arguing that the NAP is not valid because we won't be able to define property rights? And because we don't have a scope of moral authority?

I agree there is much more philosophical enlightenment necessary to define what universally preferable behavior is. But I think the NAP is the best starting point. If you don't have an alternative and we are not even able to agree on the most basic principle of non-aggression, there is no further use in discussing it.
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:28:54 PM

OK I think I should just take on a mission of explaining to people why equating anarchy with chaos might not be the best way to describe anything and why it's probably just repeating decade-long doublespeak fueled propaganda.

Anarchy doesn't mean chaos. Chaos comes from trying to control that which by its very nature cannot be controlled from a single place. Look anywhere in nature. Look to the stars or to the biosphere - do you see a ruler there? (you might say that you believe in an all powerful God controlling these things - in that case this line of reasoning is not for you) I don't. Yet do you see chaos in the movement of stars or in the behavior of nature?
Yes, we find lots and lots of chaos in the universe. Even in the movement of stars. But in the case of orbits the chaotic component is usually small compared to the stable component.
It is the stabilizing force of gravity that creates our solar system, but it is the semi-chaotic nature of atoms driven by photons that makes life possible. This balance between order and chaos is underpinning the whole of the known universe, on all levels.

How come that it's fine with everything else but when it comes to humans and their business, suddenly we have to have centrally enforced rules or everything slips into CHAOS?! Is it our cultural viewpoint, which views humans as something distinctly apart from nature (thus allowing humans to ravage their environment in search for quick personal gain)? Or is it a fundamental distrust of other humans (instilled by governments imo...remember divide and conquer?) which makes one scream in horror at the thought of what might happen if people were free to do what they saw fit?
As i explained above, this is hardly a notion exclusive to our part of the universe.
The only sense in which we 'have' to have these larger structures in society is to contain the information flowing at that level. If you don't define some overarching rules (or if these rules are not somehow in place, like they are in nature) then there is no game at that level and the process becomes chaotic there. Good luck getting others like yourself to share resource. Can you imagine how our world would look russia suddenly decided on their own to stop exporting energy and saudi arabia single handedly decided that crude price is now 5x the previous price?
I mean, you can try to negotiate without the help of an overarching structure but both russia and saudi arabia will laugh in your face. You know why? Because they have something you need and it is more basic than anything you have that they may need.
It is exactly my trust in humans to operate along certain enthropic principles that makes me say this. Survival of the individual is programmed to take precedence over survival of the group, which is programmed to take precedence over survival of the species.

Even putting all this aside, it seems hilarious to me that the proposed solution to the problem of not trusting people in general to behave cooperatively and non-aggressively seems to always be: install a government and put some of those people (which cannot be trusted, remember?) in charge. Not even any people. But the corrupted sociopaths, which are attracted to power as flies are to shit and which only get further corrupted by the power they gain? Very weird.
Well, there's yer problem.
Or in any case, a very likely place to find the current problems.
The problem is that these global interactions are pretty new to us and we are still finding out what the best balance is.
Parasites will roam freely, but they do so everywhere in nature so there is nothing new there. If anything, we need to learn to survive despite the parasites. Sometimes parasites can become usefull to the goal of survival. Sometimes even necessary. That is the reality we humans must deal with. You can't have meat without killing an animal. You can't have a computer to type on without chinese slave workers. The chinese slave worker cannot get a better house without you buying the stuff they make.
It all is dictated by enthropy and that is what forces out hierarchies of energy (most basic resource). Energy is what makes life possible. Denying someone energy means killing them. But energy, at the rate we are consuming it, is not abundant. The world contains and receives only a certain ammount of energy. All life somehow competes for this limited resource and humans are particularilly good at it within their own class (multicellular animal life). And because we are good at it we outcompete other species in our branch of the energy hierarchy. Effectively we have become the most elite top predator on earth. And these energy hierarchies continue throughout our social structures as well. We evolved along many levels of hierarchies. We can classify the universe because there are hierarchies.
But can we become the top of the piramid of life?
Well, no, because we need the plants. Plants sustain a relatively stable substrate of oxygen and nutrients that is needed by most non-plant life to exist. But not all plants are good for all of life. Plants can act pretty egotistically. If a pond has too many nutrients and a water plant grows over the whole of the surface most of the life (including other plants) in the pond dies away. So the situation is, we need this overarching system of plants to even begin thinking about our own structure in any sense. Without plants all modern life would be destroyed to a primordial state. But plants are systems of their own and allow dynamics that are not necessarily benefitial to the whole. That is why humans have learned to control plant life (one can argue that we control it too much).
And we have a similar situation within human society.
We need a structure to somehow manage the logistics of resources on the biggest scale applicable (in our case, the world) so that a certain balance is maintained. The question is not if this structure is needed but rather where you want to put the balance and how you can achieve that. And if i make the comparison to our relation with plants, maybe we have let the garden overgrow a bit too much. Time to pull out the weeds. Smiley
To reiterate: anarchy is NOT chaos. imposition of order = escalation of chaos. Anarchy just means letting any system find its equilibrium without imposing rules on it. I get why this might be tough for many - it requires trust in other people, in nature, the world and life in general. Trust which has been abused for centuries by institutions like the church and government.
To resolve to this equilibrium you would need to let the participants compete over energy again. I can already tell you who the winners will be and that the losers will fall so far behind that our global society will rip apart.
The thing is that we, as a world, need this to resolve to cooperation. Any other resolution will involve a lot dead people.
Competing for energy is not a good way to ensure cooperation.
You can even say that competition is a pretty dubious way of cooperating if not for a larger overarching structure that ensures a basic security (this also involves a basic division of resources) for the parties involved.
Anarchy trivially allows for feedback loops that have a degenerate effect on the system as a whole. Trust is somethig that does not work automatically on a large scale and the pressure of competing over resources will lead to deception (humans, compared to other lifeforms, are particularilly good at deceiving. It servers the same purpose as aggression but is non violent in its operation) and aggression. These factors in turn make the system lose cohesion over time.
Anarchy can only work on a very small scale where everyone already has enough resources. Then you can have enough trust. They are your neighbours and you know they won't take your stuff. But even in these small more or less personal level situations things get ugly when resources are limited. A neighbor would steel your chicken if it means he can survive. This is just how humans work. And to remind you, it is because we evolved along enthropic hierarchies that make our universe move.

PS: I see some discussion about morality here. You don't need to drag vague moral concepts into the discussion of whether government should or shouldn't exist. Taking a look at what's efficient and what's not seems to be sufficient.
Morals are something typically human and play only a secondary role. If you have no food your moral standards tend to become less important.
Efficiency is maybe also not the right term to define these things. Sometimes you need to put up with some inefficiencies to achieve a certain goal. Evolution operates in this way. We still expend energy to grow an appendix but yet we are pretty successfull.
I think that human society is pretty inefficent as a whole. We waste a lot of energy (in fact, we waste a HUGE amount of energy) on things that are not realy needed. We piss away energy for fun. No other lifeform does this to such a degree.
But at the same time, we are the top multicellular species on the surface. So how could we have become so dominant while throwing away all this energy? So i have a problem with this notion of efficiency.  Grin
mobodick

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:45:57 PM

The principles behind chemistry have always existed, unchanged, since long before humans discovered them. A thousand years ago people thought it was possible to turn lead into gold by reading chicken entrails while smoking peyote, but the fact they were wrong doesn't mean chemistry is flawed.

Morality is the same. Everything that has been put forward historically is self-serving and uselessly contradictory. All that means is we're in a pre-rational state with regards to morality.

I'd say we're in a transition from less rational to more rational.
At the very least we have the capability of empathy so there has been some ratio to this whole morality thing for some time now.
Whatever the reasons for its evolution, it allows us to think of ourselfs as if in the shoes of another. We even anthropomorphize, which brings us into trouble when we project our moral delineators on unsuspecting systems.
And i think that this kind of reflection is realy the basis for any rational moral structure. Reflection being, in a way, a simulation where you analyze the situation from someones viewpoint.
But it somehow seems to me that there is no way to make morality perfecty rational. It will always require a viewpoint and choosing the viewpoint is a moral choice in itself. Is it good, per se, to decide what is good?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:54:37 PM

But it somehow seems to me that there is no way to make morality perfecty rational. It will always require a viewpoint and choosing the viewpoint is a moral choice in itself. Is it good, per se, to decide what is good?
It's actually not difficult once you understand what ethics actually are. (I'm going to use ethics from now on because morality is a subset of ethics)

People use ethical arguments to influence the behavior of other people, either that the other person should or shout not take an action. Ethical arguments differ from other means of persuasion in that they appeal to some universal standard instead of the personal preference of the speaker. If you can convince other people that it is consistent with a universal standard of "good" to give you their best lamb every Sunday, they will be more likely to do so that if you just tell them that you want them to give you their stuff for free. We appear to have an instinctive understanding that the personal preferences of other people do not create obligations in us, but universal principles apply to everybody.

Once you know what an ethical argument is, you can examine it rationally. If somebody proposes an ethical rule that can not reflect a universal principle without creating a contradiction then the rule is false. Weeding out all the false arguments will leave behind the truth by elimination, just like how the scientific method is used to weed out incorrect hypotheses.
mobodick

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:57:42 PM

I see no moral objection against the mother killing a person that is threatening the life of her baby.

So how about taking the life of someone who tries to take your phone?
Would it be murder if you killed me because i took a match out of your matchbox or not?
And if not, how big should the property be before you are moraly justified to take someones life over it?
And who is going to evaluate it? And what if the person trying to take your property is threatened with his life to do so? Will you give him a chance to explain his situation and if so how will you make the corpse talk?
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:05:11 PM

At the very least we have the capability of empathy so there has been some ratio to this whole morality thing for some time now.
Whatever the reasons for its evolution, it allows us to think of ourselfs as if in the shoes of another. We even anthropomorphize, which brings us into trouble when we project our moral delineators on unsuspecting systems.
And i think that this kind of reflection is realy the basis for any rational moral structure. Reflection being, in a way, a simulation where you analyze the situation from someones viewpoint.

I hope for the sake of humanity that you are right that we are in a transition from irrational to rational.

There is a way to make ethics rational. Read about universally preferable behavior.
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:09:01 PM

Would it be murder if you killed me because i took a match out of your matchbox or not?
And if not, how big should the property be before you are moraly justified to take someones life over it?
And who is going to evaluate it? And what if the person trying to take your property is threatened with his life to do so? Will you give him a chance to explain his situation and if so how will you make the corpse talk?

I don't know all the answers to that.

Society will have to figure that out with Dispute resolution organizations.
mobodick

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:23:30 PM

It's actually not difficult once you understand what ethics actually are. (I'm going to use ethics from now on because morality is a subset of ethics)

People use ethical arguments to influence the behavior of other people, either that the other person should or shout not take an action. Ethical arguments differ from other means of persuasion in that they appeal to some universal standard instead of the personal preference of the speaker. If you can convince other people that it is consistent with a universal standard of "good" to give you their best lamb every Sunday, they will be more likely to do so that if you just tell them that you want them to give you their stuff for free. We appear to have an instinctive understanding that the personal preferences of other people do not create obligations in us, but universal principles apply to everybody.

Once you know what an ethical argument is, you can examine it rationally. If somebody proposes an ethical rule that can not reflect a universal principle without creating a contradiction then the rule is false. Weeding out all the false arguments will leave behind the truth by elimination, just like how the scientific method is used to weed out incorrect hypotheses.

I think your notion of ethics is pretty ancient from our modern point of view.
We have many neural systems dedicated to these instincts and some of them are pretty specific and some even have pretty specific roles in our evolution. They seem universal because they became built into our genes due to the path we have taken throughout evolution. There are no universal principles, or at the very least, the actual important principles are badly expressed in the notion of ethics that are presented by our genes. That is exactly why we keep struggling with it. They are vague notions compared to the actual situations that occur. So our genes can only take us so far with any general notions and our reality requires a further refinement of these notions to resolve social dynamics. So we evolved things like self reflection and empathy. These are all systems that promote a certain stability in society. You have a better understanding of the fact that others are like you.

So we have these vague notions of what feels ethically right. But those notions are pretty slippery. They all relate to defining the optimum between selfishness and cooperation. So what is considered unethical in one situation can be fully acceptable in another and noone will mention anything about it out of self preservation. And of course that's what happens in reality.
The parts of your brain that arrange for your personal safety and survival will take precedence over the part that arranges for you to help out your neighbour when push come to shove.
mobodick

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:27:24 PM

I don't know all the answers to that.

Society will have to figure that out with Dispute resolution organizations.

Suuure, just realize that armies are Dispute Resolution Organizations specializing in resource managment.
And i'll tell you another thing. Any Dispute Resolution Organization will need to be an army when dealing with resources like energy water and food on a global scale.
The fact alone that you propose multiple of these organizations is in itself problematic because who or what will resolve the diputes between them?
mobodick

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:52:47 PM

I hope for the sake of humanity that you are right that we are in a transition from irrational to rational.

There is a way to make ethics rational. Read about universally preferable behavior.

The point can be made pretty hard.
Ethics is based on impulses from our genes. This is by now a medical fact. In the basis these impulses are selfish in a very direct way. They re there to protect the individual. But humans evolved as social animals and so parts of these genes had to start coding for impulses that lead to behaviour that is beneficial to the local society.
Social progress has allowed us to see these impulses from a bigger viewpoint so we can apply them to ever bigger structures.
So now you no longer just fight for the rights of yourself or your family, you fight for the rights of all woman, for the rights of all humans and even for the rights of animals.
That much has more or less been achieved on a social level on basis of these vague impulses from our genes.
What science allows us to do is to find rationale in our projections outward into the bigger system.
We have found enough rationale to be sure that many animals are capable of experiencing pain in a similar way as humans do. So then it becomes science that allows us to extend our ethics to other systems in a meaningfull way.
So the more we know about the universe the more we can extend our notions of what is a good balance of cooperation.
But they are human notions neverteless so your mileage may vary.

Anyway, i don't believe in mumbo jumbo like universally preferrable behaviour.
Anything truely universal will not touch our human condition. We, together with our ethics, are amazingly specific. If we had no sufficently developed brains there would be no ethics to think about. You would be worried about how to get food and about not being eaten. Which is the de facto situation for most of life on earth.
For any ethics to be defined you first would need to set a goal. For us, it's survival of the species and anything we want to extend that to. Calling any of it universal would be the paramount of human arrogance. But what could you expect from a book written by a radio show host, right?
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:21:08 PM

Suuure, just realize that armies are Dispute Resolution Organizations specializing in resource managment.
And i'll tell you another thing. Any Dispute Resolution Organization will need to be an army when dealing with resources like energy water and food on a global scale.
The fact alone that you propose multiple of these organizations is in itself problematic because who or what will resolve the diputes between them?

Armies are not DPOs. The free market (the people) will efficiently resolve disputes between them.

Ethics is based on impulses from our genes. This is by now a medical fact. In the basis these impulses are selfish in a very direct way. They re there to protect the individual. But humans evolved as social animals and so parts of these genes had to start coding for impulses that lead to behaviour that is beneficial to the local society.
Social progress has allowed us to see these impulses from a bigger viewpoint so we can apply them to ever bigger structures.
So now you no longer just fight for the rights of yourself or your family, you fight for the rights of all woman, for the rights of all humans and even for the rights of animals.
That much has more or less been achieved on a social level on basis of these vague impulses from our genes.
What science allows us to do is to find rationale in our projections outward into the bigger system.
We have found enough rationale to be sure that many animals are capable of experiencing pain in a similar way as humans do. So then it becomes science that allows us to extend our ethics to other systems in a meaningfull way.
So the more we know about the universe the more we can extend our notions of what is a good balance of cooperation.

Anything truely universal will not touch our human condition. We, together with our ethics, are amazingly specific. If we had no sufficently developed brains there would be no ethics to think about. You would be worried about how to get food and about not being eaten. Which is the de facto situation for most of life on earth.
For any ethics to be defined you first would need to set a goal. For us, it's survival of the species and anything we want to extend that to. Calling any of it universal would be the paramount of human arrogance. But what could you expect from a book written by a radio show host, right?

I'm having a hard time following your logic. But it's okay if we have different views. As long as we both respect the non-aggression principle nobody gets hurt.
mobodick

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:52:31 PM

Armies are not DPOs. The free market (the people) will efficiently resolve disputes between them.
The free market cannot resolve energy imbalance or the imbalance of any other vital resource without an army. Armies are pretty damn effective dispute resolution organizations.

Maybe you can give an example.
Say you have a water dispute between two geographically close regions. Group A doesn't have enough water to give to its people and the only economically viable source is group B.
Group B has plenty of water and because of that, they also have plenty of food and are basically self sufficient.
Group C also has water but they live so far away that acquiring that water becomes financially impossible for group A.

Now group B decides not to deliver any water to group A. In fact, group B decides that since they don't want to waste their water on the infidels of group A they would much rather just wait untill they all die out.

We have a clear dispute.

Group A goes to your DPO. What do they ask of them?
How will the DPO make sure the resource needs of group A are met?

Or do you mean by free market that group A should indeed just die off because they were born in a location where water was scarce and noone realy cares about them? The free economy would not care about it. And if that is your idea of an ideal societal structure, why would i want to share anything with you in the first place?

A free market is nice if you live in the luxury of being able to get your basic stuff together but it becomes pretty inhumane when these basic needs are not met. It would be a devolutionary step in what we achieved as a society. We need these big structures and we need them to be able to rectify the abuse of the power gained on the way up. But at the same time we need to control these big structures so they serve society as a whole and i think that is what is going wrong in the current situation. Removing the structure is exposing yourself to the problems that called for this structure in the first place. You would be right back in germanic civilizations where people lived in small groups in villages and pillaged and raped other villages once in while to prove they are still there. All very ethically accepted in those days.
Meanwhile they didn't develop any of the institutions to be able to sustain a bigger operation and o properly settle down and make the place work for you. They could not assure they allways had permanent food and shelter and most problems grew from that. It was the ideas and technology taken from the roman empire that allowed the germanic tribes to organize on a bigger scale and to settle down in a more permanent way.
And even the egyptians made much more progress thousands of years before them. They were past these tribal rivalries over 6000 years ago and became organized under the rule of the pharaos.
But then again egypt was a harsher land requiring more planning to sustain a population in. It is only natural that to build a society the large structures would play a more vital role than in the rich forrests of central europe.

I'm having a hard time following your logic. But it's okay if we have different views. As long as we both respect the non-aggression principle nobody gets hurt.

The logic is that science allows us to check the premises of our gut feelings of ethics.
It makes ethics more rational.
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:12:54 PM

Now group B decides not to deliver any water to group A. In fact, group B decides that since they don't want to waste their water on the infidels of group A they would much rather just wait untill they all die out.

You make a lot of assumptions and emotional appeals. But no, group B cannot be forced to deliver water to anyone. They can trade it voluntarily with others.

The logic is that science allows us to check the premises of our gut feelings of ethics.
It makes ethics more rational.

With universally preferable behavior the scientific method is used to come to a rational framework for ethics. This also allows to check the "gut feelings of ethics".
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: