Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:06:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-03-13 new scientist Bitcoin Add On Makes Purchases Private  (Read 1277 times)
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:16:43 AM

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2013/03/bitcoin-zerocoin.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:20:49 AM

Zerocoin would give you this incredible privacy guarantee, then we could add on some features which let the police, for instance, to be able to track money laundering. A back door.

Roll Eyes

BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:52:43 AM

Zerocoin would give you this incredible privacy guarantee, then we could add on some features which let the police, for instance, to be able to track money laundering. A back door.

Roll Eyes

Hilarious.

But, without the back door, it's an interesting idea.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:54:19 AM

Roll Eyes

Hilarious.

If its not open source its doa.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:58:59 AM

Roll Eyes

But really.  It's not private if the police can see what I'm doing.  Screw suspicion, a nose with a badge is still a nose I want out.

knives

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:05:44 PM

Roll Eyes

Hilarious.

Okay, a little bit of conspiracy is in order here:

- 1st scenario: The guy is incredibly stupid. Only mentioning the possibility of a backdoor in a non open source project, will make most of your possible users run away, we're talking about a crypto-currency after all.

- 2nd scenario: The question was so stupid that he wanted to give back an equally stupid answer.

Either way, I'm never going to use (especially if I can't have a clear look at the source code). However it's a fine proof of concept for similar to follow.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 01:07:53 AM

Roll Eyes

Hilarious.

Okay, a little bit of conspiracy is in order here:

- 1st scenario: The guy is incredibly stupid. Only mentioning the possibility of a backdoor in a non open source project, will make most of your possible users run away, we're talking about a crypto-currency after all.

- 2nd scenario: The question was so stupid that he wanted to give back an equally stupid answer.

Either way, I'm never going to use (especially if I can't have a clear look at the source code). However it's a fine proof of concept for similar to follow.

I'll go with Ockham's Razor here; and take #1 for 100 BTC, Alex.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
alexanderanon

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:12:38 AM

Very interesting. I look forward to hearing more about this.

Oh, and...if you include a backdoor...i'll download the inevitable fork that has backdoor excluded.. Smiley
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 01:20:02 PM

I've read this paper. It's a very clever technique. We can discuss it more when the paper is out. I am skeptical it makes sense to integrate with Bitcoin, however.

There are no back doors in their system. But let's face it. If you were just a curious researcher and some journalist asked you that question, you'd be tempted to just blow the question off with some stupid answer too. The alternative is to have your work be branded by the press as some kind of dangerous anarchist idea and all your friends and co-workers will think you are some kind of wacko criminal. Far easier to just say "oh yes, of course we can add a back door" and move on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: