Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:13:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM - Totalitarian Censorship & Poorly Run Community  (Read 2300 times)
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 07:24:48 AM

It is true that NEM's distribution was not the best, but it is also far from being the worst in the altcoin world. I didn't participate because it was looking like a scam at first - prices were higher every couple of days, there was no roadmap, and first it was a simple NXT clone.

But the devs have delivered a decent cryptocurrency with an interesting extension to proof of stake. PoI is not solving every problem of PoS (and probably has the same problems regarding N@S attacks), but as I repeatedly pointed out, it is an algorithm that favours crypto businesses like exchanges and online wallets. That is good for small cryptocurrencies, as these are just the services that they need to grow.

The danger of PoI is that probably when NEM really grows (e.g. is used at least on the level like actual Bitcoin) it will have problems with scalability because the PoI algorithm, in some ways, favours blockchain spam.

the devs used bitcoins history of transactions, somehow, i dont know how, to fine tune the algorithm over the course of months upon months of research and analysis. i think it will be perfectly ok. Wink

That was the algo that denied stakes to any real people besides UtopianFuture and the devs / mods, but made sure that all your sockpuppets got their fair share, right?

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kattokassinen

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 07:52:26 AM

DecentralizeEconomics: Why so butthurt?  Huh
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 12:54:11 PM

He belongs to NXT, nothing more to say.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 05:37:43 PM

...PMed everyone on btt twice...

I can vouch for one of them personally. Back then, kodtycoon asked for my help in throwing together a script that would PM everyone on the NEM stakeholder list. (He ran it on his own machine, iirc.) I still have that script in my backup drive.

true story. i can screen shot my sent box if anyone should doubt. its literally hundreds of pages of private mails, accrued over days upon days of continuously running the script. btt messaging limitations meant messages had to be sent much much slower than was optimal.

Hi, kod! Smiley Geez, that was so long ago I had to check my Sent box to see if it was you or me who sent 'em all out...

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 05:40:06 PM

Because he signed up for a free stake and a mob of angry NEMhead wanted UtopianFuture to deny him his stake because he got into arguments with some of them. I have to say, it was a bad time that will only appear in underground histories of NEM's early days.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6095

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 07:31:55 PM

the devs used bitcoins history of transactions, somehow, i dont know how, to fine tune the algorithm over the course of months upon months of research and analysis. i think it will be perfectly ok. Wink

Yes, I know. I have already checked NEM block explorers and the transaction activity was very small. So at this moment it seems not to be a problem.

But I have already discussed this topic with a member of the NEM community: Long-term, if NEM had (let's say) 10x of transaction volume and market cap, it would become profitable for all big NXT holders to transfer their NEM from address to address regularly. That is even stated in the whitepaper, with the following "tone": if it's profitable for all then it's not an attack vector.

The problem is that those additional transactions not only bloat the blockchain (then it would not be that problematic as we would have a sort of "proof of capacity" algorithm, like a "disguised Burstcoin") , but also take bandwidth. And bandwidth is one of the major bottlenecks of the transaction capacity of cryptocurrencies.

We'll see ... maybe that's less a problem than I think, but I'll continue to watch it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
rajc

Activity: 139

View Profile
July 06, 2016, 07:47:05 PM

Because he signed up for a free stake and a mob of angry NEMhead wanted UtopianFuture to deny him his stake because he got into arguments with some of them. I have to say, it was a bad time that will only appear in underground histories of NEM's early days.

I hope someone will make some summary of that history, it should be interesting reading Cheesy
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2016, 08:34:25 PM

I hope someone will make some summary of that history, it should be interesting reading Cheesy

I actually did in 2014, but it's a lengthy read.

anycoin (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 10:37:17 AM

...PMed everyone on btt twice...

I can vouch for one of them personally. Back then, kodtycoon asked for my help in throwing together a script that would PM everyone on the NEM stakeholder list. (He ran it on his own machine, iirc.) I still have that script in my backup drive.

true story. i can screen shot my sent box if anyone should doubt. its literally hundreds of pages of private mails, accrued over days upon days of continuously running the script. btt messaging limitations meant messages had to be sent much much slower than was optimal.

hell, heres a screen shot for anyone who wants proof that every possible effort to reach stake holders was taken:

https://i.imgur.com/e40cBIj.png?1

20 mails per page * 628 pages = 12560 messages. the VAST majority of which were emails sent to nem stake holders.

I appreciate the fact that you made a great effort... what I don't appreciate is that the original promise wasn't delivered on and that once you have put in what you deemed to be "enough work", you think that all is now right because you can get away with it.

That's the way of the world... right?

I'm glad your conscience is clear. Mine wouldn't be. And this summarizes two kinds of people you get in the world - those who keep their promises and those who don't. The promise here was a stake - nothing was mentioned of deadlines or timelines until it became convenient.

Even so, I did check in, and I did follow the rules, and I still couldn't claim. I ask about it in the forums, and all I get is a "no too late". No explanation, no link to a document where it was discussed or someone explains what, why or how. Just "No"'.

To add insult to injury, my account gets deleted, also my posts, and you block the IP of the whole shared office space where I work. That creates an impression of me bringing up a touchy subject that nobody is willing to rationally talk about.

This being something so trivial, I would hate to think what would happen if a really important decision needed to be taken, and there was disagreement. Would the same people just delete or ban all the accounts of everyone who didn't agree, so they too can "wash their hands in innocence" and say - look! We have a unanimous victory! What a great community! We all agree! How wonderful!
anycoin (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 10:51:21 AM

You got banned from the forum probably - and this is really just a guess - because you opened multiple threads like this and posted about this topic in every active thread you could find even if the thread wasn't even remotely related to redemption. At some point cleanign up after you in the forum is going to be too much of a hassle. I'm making this guess because i thought about banning you twice but then didn't do it. I guess someone else just finally had enough.

Oh, thanks for letting me know.

Not only did I get banned - so did my whole building based on the IP address.

Guess what else? Every single post was deleted, and every thread I started. I mananged to help your community clear up at least 2 of the loose ends you left dangling.

...Has anyone considered giving me an explanation or referring me to the document where everything is explained?

One day you will see something amazing that I built... and you will wish that you were part of it. I hope you then find out that you could have been, and how you treated the person who built it. And I would love to then be able to invite you to be part of it, regardless. Because that's the sort of community I want to be part of.

How would you feel if you were excited about something, you put your first and only crypto currency you mined into something else, and when you got things together, and rocked up to help out and get involved, this is the welcome you get: "No. Go away. Don't ask questions, we don't care. Sorry you're poor. Shut up or get deleted." What kind of community does that?

Didn't you maybe think about banning because of your own guilt and your inability to deal with it?

It's fine. I'll find something else. I liked what was started here, and sorry I can- and will never be part of it. You can still change that it if you like...
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 11:38:21 AM

So much for NEM being the "FAIR" cryptocurrency.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
ccs5t

Activity: 166

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 01:43:16 PM

Yea this whole thing is shocking. I am screwed out of my support of NEM because of my military service. Can't they just look on the blockchain to see I did indeed donate?
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 05:09:09 AM

Yea this whole thing is shocking. I am screwed out of my support of NEM because of my military service. Can't they just look on the blockchain to see I did indeed donate?

The Nemwits are communists and nothing about communism is "fair".  The entire Nemwit movement is a very transparent communist scam started by that lying, stealing, cheat UtopianFuture and his cronies.

ElitistCA

Activity: 477
Merit: 250

Blockchain Just Entered The Real World

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:32:22 AM

LOL at this thread. OP is liar. DE is paranoid, he sees communists behind every corner, but truth is, they hide under his bed!!!

███████████████████████
     ███▄ ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█▀▀  █████
    ███  █▀  ▀█▀▀▀       ▐█ ███
   ███  ▄██▄▄█▀▄▄▄        █▌ ███
  ███ ▄█▀  █     ▀█▄▄     ▐█  ▐██
 ███▄█▀    █        ▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄ ██
████▀      █           ▀██▀   ▀█ ██
 ██▀█▄     █          ▄█▀▀█▄▄▄█▀██
  ██ ▀█▄   █      ▄▄█▀▀    ▐█  ██
   ██  ▀█▄█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀        █▌ ██
    ███  █▄  ▄█▀█▄▄▄      █▌███
     ███  ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀█▄▄▐████
      ███████████████████████

▄▄       ▄▄▄        ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄ 
  ▀█▄   ▄█▀ ▀█▄    ▄█▀ ▄█▀▀   ▀▀█▄
    ▀█▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█▀  ▐█         █▌
    ▄█▀█▄      ▄█▀    ▐█         █▌
  ▄█▀   ▀█▄  ▄█▀       █▄       ▄█
▄█▀       ▀██▀          ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀

Network
BLOCKCHAIN JUST ENTERED THE REAL WORLD
  Decentralized Crypto-Location Oracle Network
GET WHITELISTED FOR TOKEN SALE ( Limited )

WHITE PAPER  ││  ANN Thread  Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Reddit
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: