Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:39:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coindesk sensored ?  (Read 469 times)
dinofelis (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:21:23 AM

I noticed something on coindesk.  When I add a comment to an article, sometimes it becomes "pending".  It seems related to the content of what I write, and not to the length, the number or whatever of the comments.

Recently, I tried to add a comment saying that the halving of bitcoin, resulting in 1800 coins less a day, should be compared to the daily traded volume (and hence is tiny as an effect).  Each contribution mentioning that is pending.  Other contributions of mine on the same article aren't pending.  I had a few "long" ones, and also a few one-liners.

Is there a sensorship on coindesk ? 

This has happened before too on other subjects.  It seems content-related.  Some comments simply don't seem to make it (or only days later, when the readership of the article has diminished).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:40:07 AM

it is not unheard of that these so called news sites are having their own agenda whenever they publish an article. maybe they are planning on contributing to the pump (because of the nature of the articles) and don't want to see any kind of comment disagreeing with them. that wouldn't be the first time.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 10:07:20 AM

I noticed something on coindesk.  When I add a comment to an article, sometimes it becomes "pending".  It seems related to the content of what I write, and not to the length, the number or whatever of the comments.

Recently, I tried to add a comment saying that the halving of bitcoin, resulting in 1800 coins less a day, should be compared to the daily traded volume (and hence is tiny as an effect).  Each contribution mentioning that is pending.  Other contributions of mine on the same article aren't pending.  I had a few "long" ones, and also a few one-liners.

This has happened before too on other subjects.  It seems content-related.  Some comments simply don't seem to make it (or only days later, when the readership of the article has diminished).

Actually it's called 'moderation', but I believe what you're referring to is 'censorship' which is the suppression of free speech.

Moderated comments have to be approved, for such thing to happen a moderator has to read them, if for some reason moderator does not have the time or patience to do so your comments will stay in limbo forever, or until someone does a clean up and delete everything.

dinofelis (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 04:47:54 AM

Actually it's called 'moderation', but I believe what you're referring to is 'censorship' which is the suppression of free speech.

Moderated comments have to be approved, for such thing to happen a moderator has to read them, if for some reason moderator does not have the time or patience to do so your comments will stay in limbo forever, or until someone does a clean up and delete everything.

Well, I know of two ways of moderation: or all messages have first to be approved, or all messages get posted until someone complains, at which point a moderator intervenes.  This can be partly automatic, by tagging certain messages on length, on specific words, .... But no.  I had comments pending, and others, on the same article, posted later, longer, shorter, posted directly.  The funny thing was that those pending all had one specific aspect: they said that 1800 coins a day should be compared to the total daily traded volume.
(BTW, now, they have been released, 2 days later).

This is not the first time that I see this kind of systematic pending of comments on a certain subject.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2016, 02:38:37 PM

Coindesk uses Disqus for comments and like most news magazines holds all new comments for approval by a staff member. If all comments were posted immediately they would wind up with spam posts filled with affiliate links. I am sure they appreciate thoughtful comments, waiting a day or so is the norm now.

eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2016, 02:47:16 PM

Could it be that you added a link to your post? That would definitely trigger the manual review of comments you add.
Maybe it also uses certain keywords to filter messages out.

I wouldn't call it censorship either, just anti-spam measures.

hermanhs09

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 02:49:40 PM

I noticed something on coindesk.  When I add a comment to an article, sometimes it becomes "pending".  It seems related to the content of what I write, and not to the length, the number or whatever of the comments.

Recently, I tried to add a comment saying that the halving of bitcoin, resulting in 1800 coins less a day, should be compared to the daily traded volume (and hence is tiny as an effect).  Each contribution mentioning that is pending.  Other contributions of mine on the same article aren't pending.  I had a few "long" ones, and also a few one-liners.

This has happened before too on other subjects.  It seems content-related.  Some comments simply don't seem to make it (or only days later, when the readership of the article has diminished).
There are many strange thing's going on with it,im getting afraid about it.
Probably i will just stop using,looks for me like it is not really worth it.You do the same too.
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1171

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 04:34:49 PM

There is an amazing amount of spam out there, so many methods in use and manual moderation is the only real way to verify the quality comments get through. It has even taken down some sites in the past through the sheer volume of fake comments that get submitted. It's very reasonable for coindesk to censor their posts but it's hard work for them to keep up.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
DarkThrones

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 04:42:36 PM

All news websites have commenting like that for the most part. There are so many bots out there now that it would be suicide to the comment section to not have pending comments. It could be a week before your comment is even seen by whoever they pay to handle that, let alone if they were told to keep negative comments out or not. Would not surprise me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: