Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:28:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is my money?  (Read 708 times)
yvv (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 05:08:28 PM

After accumulating  some bitcoins in local wallet, I realized, that my system automatically backed up my /home on a cloud, including my unencrypted wallet. I followed these steps to create a new wallet and transfered my btc to it.  Finally, blockchain.info shows that transaction is ok, but the client (bitcoin-qt) shows me 0 in my new wallet. Where is my money, man?

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pat1900

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:21:39 PM

More info please, e.g.

what happened to your wallet.dat file?
what OS?
which bitcoin-qt version?

USD: 0.000 BTC       EUR: 0.000 BTC
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:25:19 PM

After accumulating  some bitcoins in local wallet, I realized, that my system automatically backed up my /home on a cloud, including my unencrypted wallet. I followed these steps to create a new wallet and transfered my btc to it.  Finally, blockchain.info shows that transaction is ok, but the client (bitcoin-qt) shows me 0 in my new wallet. Where is my money, man?

If 1MXRztcCUUTktCsUD6vcNADENzwwTTuGAB is indeed an address in your Bitcoin-QT wallet, be rest assured it's safe. You probably need to finish synchronizing before it shows up.
yvv (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 05:32:06 PM

ubuntu linux 2.10, bitcoin-qt 0.8. Here I copypaste new address from the running client

1MXRztcCUUTktCsUD6vcNADENzwwTTuGAB

This is where I sent my bitcoins to.  blockchain.info shows 39 confirmations at the moment, but my client shows 0 balance.

yvv (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 05:41:59 PM

Here is what I did exactly.

I closed client, moved wallet.dat --> wallet_old.dat, started client, copied new address (1MXRztcCUUTktCsUD6vcNADENzwwTTuGAB), closed client, moved wallet.dat --> wallet_new.dat, copied wallet_old.dat --> wallet.dat, sent btc to 1MXRztcCUUTktCsUD6vcNADENzwwTTuGAB, closed client, moved wallet_new.dat --> wallet.dat, started client, see no money Sad

What have I done wrong?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:44:38 PM

Insert rescan=1 in the bitcoin.conf file, on the same folder where your wallet.dat is.
If a bitcoin.conf file doesn't exist, create one yourself.
Now start bitcoin-qt normally and wait for it to do it's stuff, including downloading any blocks still missing.
When you get your bitcoins back you can send some here: 1PKyq6aMKcCwn8cmb9Jc5SkNydLsQb5n7K
 Just to see if it's working, you know... Grin
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:45:09 PM

Here is what I did exactly.

I closed client, moved wallet.dat --> wallet_old.dat, started client, copied new address (1MXRztcCUUTktCsUD6vcNADENzwwTTuGAB), closed client, moved wallet.dat --> wallet_new.dat, copied wallet_old.dat --> wallet.dat, sent btc to 1MXRztcCUUTktCsUD6vcNADENzwwTTuGAB, closed client, moved wallet_new.dat --> wallet.dat, started client, see no money Sad

What have I done wrong?

You forgot to run the -rescan option I would guess. Just restart bitcoin-qt with -rescan and it'll automatically rescan for the newest balance.
yvv (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 06:09:07 PM

Yes, rescan option did it. My money is back  Smiley Many thanks to you guys for help.

If bitcoin devs read this forum, I would like to ask a feature to add a rescan button to standard client. Just for lammers like myself, who use ubuntu. Smiley

buybtc

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:52:42 PM

Insert rescan=1 in the bitcoin.conf file, on the same folder where your wallet.dat is.
If a bitcoin.conf file doesn't exist, create one yourself.
Now start bitcoin-qt normally and wait for it to do it's stuff, including downloading any blocks still missing.
When you get your bitcoins back you can send some here: 1PKyq6aMKcCwn8cmb9Jc5SkNydLsQb5n7K
 Just to see if it's working, you know... Grin

This ^^
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 07:44:59 PM

If you used my method of inserting rescan=1 in the bitcoin.conf file, don't forget to remove it, or else it will rescan the whole blockchain every time you start it.
Yeah, yeah, I know it's obvious, but so is backing up the wallet.dat before messing with it, and most of the time people forget about it when they aren't told to do so Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: