Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:36:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of laptop is best for cold wallet of Armory (with keypad or not)?  (Read 2605 times)
RationalSpeculator (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:34:29 PM

I'm considering buying an old laptop so I can install Armory on it and have a cold wallet. (the laptop would never be connected to the internet again)

Also I will sign my transactions on that laptop. Somebody said he regrets having bought a notebook for it as it is too small to sign transactions comfortably.

I'm doubting between buying a laptop, without keypad on right of keyboard, or with keypad. I like the keypad to insert numbers but it makes the laptop big. So I was wondering if you can sign transactions without using numbers but only letters?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:38:41 PM

I'm considering buying an old laptop so I can install Armory on it and have a cold wallet. (the laptop would never be connected to the internet again)

Also I will sign my transactions on that laptop. Somebody said he regrets having bought a notebook for it as it is too small to sign transactions comfortably.

I'm doubting between buying a laptop, without keypad on right of keyboard, or with keypad. I like the keypad to insert numbers but it makes the laptop big. So I was wondering if you can sign transactions without using numbers but only letters?
Erm... signing is done digitally, and with just the click of a button.  I'm not sure what the regretful person would mean when he says it is too small to sign transactions comfortably.
RationalSpeculator (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:57:53 PM

Erm... signing is done digitally, and with just the click of a button.  I'm not sure what the regretful person would mean when he says it is too small to sign transactions comfortably.

Thanks, maybe the mouse pad was too small on a notebook to comfortably scroll the arrow from one side to the other? 
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 08:04:46 PM

Thanks, maybe the mouse pad was too small on a notebook to comfortably scroll the arrow from one side to the other? 
Yeah, it could be something more along these lines.
RationalSpeculator (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 08:06:37 PM

Or maybe the screen was too small to have Armory fully visible?
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 09:12:04 PM

Or maybe the screen was too small to have Armory fully visible?

There have been some complaints about fitting some Armory windows into the small screen of a netbook.  I had made a bit of progress fixing that, and now windows remember their sizes.  I still occasionally get some gripes about it, but no one complaining that they can't use it.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, offline Armory has virtually no resource requirements.  Your offline computer only needs to be able to install/run an operating system, and one that runs Armory (which is any Windows, most Linux, and not so much OSX, but that will be fixed soon). 

You can get some more, general information from the Armory Quick Start Guide.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Aegis5

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 10:10:29 PM

I have fine luck with my decade+ old Dell latitude CPx, P3 500 mhz running windows 2000 with a screen resolution of 1024x768.

It does not have an ethernet port, but since it is offline, that is ok.  It has a USB 1 jack, but with the small files sizes, that is no problem.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 10:18:52 PM

I have fine luck with my decade+ old Dell latitude CPx, P3 500 mhz running windows 2000 with a screen resolution of 1024x768.

It does not have an ethernet port, but since it is offline, that is ok.  It has a USB 1 jack, but with the small files sizes, that is no problem.

Out of curiosity, how much RAM does that thing have?  And what OS are you running?  I have been advertising 256 MB as a "minimum" but it was really an arbitrary number intended to convey "just about anything will work."  However, a 500 MHz CPU sounds ancient, perhaps older than I was expecting to be usable!

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 10:23:27 PM

As I posted in your main thread my cold-wallet machine is a Intel Celeron 3 630 Mhz 320 MB RAM desktop (I believe Celeron 630 MHz is inferior to Pentium 3 500 Mhz).
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 10:26:08 PM

As I posted in your main thread my cold-wallet machine is a Intel Celeron 3 630 Mhz 320 MB RAM desktop (I believe Celeron 630 MHz is inferior to Pentium 3 500 Mhz).

What OS?  I'm wondering if Ubuntu 10.04-32bit even works on such low-spec systems...

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 10:33:32 PM

Yes I used the OS you recommend. At start-up it shows error messages (error: no suitable mode found; error: unknown command terminal) because of the on-board Intel video chip not being supported correctly. It does start however and I just need to restart the Linux GUI via the command line after start up every time.

Other than that, it works fine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: