Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:12:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I will never ask for a loan.  (Read 981 times)
Grim Death (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:01:44 PM

With seeing what seems to have happened with MAC's account I would like to state that I will never ask for a loan. So if this account ever requests one DO NOT LOAN it your coins.

I am lucky enough to be in a position that if shit ever hits the fan my family will be able to help me, so the need for a loan should never arise. Also I don't like the idea of borrowing from strangers. You never know who could turn up on your doorstep.

So once again if this account ever asks for a loan do not furnish it with coins.

Actually, is there a way to get a tag (not a scammer tag obviously) that would indicate that you don't want a loan? Just I really don't like the idea of it being possible that I could be accused of being a scammer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ironcross360

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:02:37 PM

what happened with mac?

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:02:52 PM

If anyone wants to offer a small loan I'll take it.
Grim Death (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:07:25 PM

what happened with mac?

Apparently his account and personal info was compromised and the scammer has managed to get away with 24BTC

While my account would never get a loan like that I think it would be a good idea for users that aren't going to want loans to be able to get a tag which will put a stop to it.
ironcross360

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:10:06 PM

Wow.

what happened with mac?

Apparently his account and personal info was compromised and the scammer has managed to get away with 24BTC

While my account would never get a loan like that I think it would be a good idea for users that aren't going to want loans to be able to get a tag which will put a stop to it.

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:11:54 PM

With seeing what seems to have happened with MAC's account I would like to state that I will never ask for a loan. So if this account ever requests one DO NOT LOAN it your coins.

I am lucky enough to be in a position that if shit ever hits the fan my family will be able to help me, so the need for a loan should never arise. Also I don't like the idea of borrowing from strangers. You never know who could turn up on your doorstep.

So once again if this account ever asks for a loan do not furnish it with coins.

Actually, is there a way to get a tag (not a scammer tag obviously) that would indicate that you don't want a loan? Just I really don't like the idea of it being possible that I could be accused of being a scammer.
This is the best post a new user can make, btw.

Normally, it's a waiting game to see how long a new user will wait to post in lending.

Now, just don't offer sell any gift cards.  Tongue
Jenger

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:44:50 AM

I heard mac is going to make good with it too.. that's crazy. I cant say i'd do the same if I were in his position, that's what, $1200?

yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 01:07:39 AM

I thought about doing this as well. Then I thought there maybe some time in the future when I need a loan to get a business started or something.  So, don't give me a loan without verifying that it's me that made the request.

Get Ian Knowles to contact me via email for verification.

squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 09:27:48 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2013, 09:38:43 AM by squall1066

Maybe this thread should be changed into a "don't lend to me" After what happened, I wish to publicly announce, For now I do not want a loan, Actually I have never asked for a loan, So If I did most people who know me would start asking "why?" As it would sound suspect.

I would only ask for a loan when the security incerases, Maybe a second varification process, Maybe link bitcointalk.org with E-mail.
Projects

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 10:01:47 AM

I heard mac is going to make good with it too.. that's crazy. I cant say i'd do the same if I were in his position, that's what, $1200?

I would do the same and have done the same in his position.

Buying Bitcoins for cash or gold/silver bullion many methods to pay you - pm me for more information
Bank transfer, Cash, Postal Order, Western Union, MoneyGram, SEPA, Amazon & More  - Worldwide Transfers Available
*NEW* BTC for Citibank P2P transfers - USD/EUR please pm me for more information
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 10:14:33 AM

Maybe this thread should be changed into a "don't lend to me" After what happened, I wish to publicly announce, For now I do not want a loan, Actually I have never asked for a loan, So If I did most people who know me would start asking "why?" As it would sound suspect.

I would only ask for a loan when the security incerases, Maybe a second varification process, Maybe link bitcointalk.org with E-mail.
Use pgp. Post key ID in a thread, and if the post's marked as edited, it's no good. Security of forum account is weak, and MAC certainly wasn't the first to fall victim to the same kind of scam we've seen before. (nor the first to voluntarily pay for damages)

Most importantly, this is a good reminder never to use the same password anywhere important, and if you use a password management service - it NEEDS to be unique. I previously tried just using a few different passwords, with the password used correlating to sensitivity of the site. Once one of my sensitive passwords were leaked from a site compromise, I was out a whole lotta BTC.
Jenger

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:23:42 AM

For an amount similar to that? That is a lot of money to cough up for someone else's mistake.. The only way I would pay is if I had a serious business reputation on here or something. It is always lender beware.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:32:19 AM

For an amount similar to that? That is a lot of money to cough up for someone else's mistake.. The only way I would pay is if I had a serious business reputation on here or something. It is always lender beware.
Identity theft is generally (though quietly) considered the fault of the "victim." Similar to entering into "predatory loan agreements."

If someone compromised and used a website he had for selling bologna, had a 80%-off sale, then ran away with the revenues - who would be liable? Those idiots who bought 80%-off bologna?

(Honoring the damages shows remarkable integrity - and I definitely don't mean to detract from that.)
Projects

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:45:02 PM

Not far off it.
£500 which is approx $760 see here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=141787.msg1510021#msg1510021

So yes I would accept liability for this if it had happened to me as well like Kluge says it really does show integrity and is somewhat the victims fault to make good.

Buying Bitcoins for cash or gold/silver bullion many methods to pay you - pm me for more information
Bank transfer, Cash, Postal Order, Western Union, MoneyGram, SEPA, Amazon & More  - Worldwide Transfers Available
*NEW* BTC for Citibank P2P transfers - USD/EUR please pm me for more information
steamboat

Activity: 648

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:51:22 PM

While MAC isn't obligated to pay back the loan, it is his responsibility to do so, and shows his integrity in doing so voluntarily. MACs forum account is his property, and as such it is his responsibility to keep his property secure from theft and unapproved use. It sucks he was taken advantage of, but it was his account that asked for the loan, and his responsibility to cover any damages incurred from the use of his account.

This should be a warning to everyone to keep their property secure. This isn't the fiat banking system where someone will hold your accounts hand for you and pay for your neglect.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 04:57:07 PM

I would also like to state that I will never ask for a BTC loan.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: