Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:25:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THE CHRONICLE - An Alt-Crypto project  (Read 1151 times)
nameface (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 10:58:59 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2013, 11:21:48 PM by nameface

In my humble opinion there will always be room in the cryptocurrency eco-system for altcoins with features complimentary to bitcoin. We must improve the image and adoption rate of cryptocurrencies by new users and investors. This is why I created a document called The Chronicle.

The Chronicle is a list outlining important details pertaining to each cryptocurrency. It is my hope that it will help us visualize a path for the success of the entire cryptocurrency eco-system, to root out scamcoins, to identify problems, and inspire innovation.

Listings include: currency signs/symbols, release date, creators, developers, official logos, link, approx. trading volume, approx. capitalization, a short paragraph definition, and notes.

The document also includes ratings from 1 to 10 for ADOPTION, POPULARITY, SECURITY, EASE OF USE, INNOVATION, DEVELOPMENT, MARKETING, and PUBLIC IMAGE

The coins will be listed in order of relevance. Here is the first draft:

___ ~ ___

THE CHRONICLE V.1 [BETA]

#1 BITCOIN

BTC or BTC
Released 2009/01
Creator Satoshi Nakamoto
Developers http://bitcoin.org
Link http://weusecoins.org

Bitcoin (BTC) is a decentralized digital currency based on an open-source, peer-to-peer internet protocol. Internationally, bitcoins can be exchanged by personal computer directly through a wallet file or a website without an intermediate financial institution. Bitcoin does not operate like typical currencies: It has no central bank and it solely relies on an internet-based peer-to-peer network.

Approx. daily trading volume -
Approx. capitalization - $512 million

ADOPTION - 7
POPULARITY - 9
SECURITY - 9
EASE OF USE - 7
INNOVATIVENESS - 10
DEVELOPMENT - 8
MARKETING - 7
PUBLIC IMAGE - 9

NOTES: Bitcoin is awesome.

-

#2 Litecoin

Released 2011
Creator - Coblee
Developers -
Link http://litecoin.org/

Litecoin is a cryptocurrency based on the Bitcoin protocol. It differs from its parent Bitcoin in that can be efficiently mined with consumer-grade hardware. Other changes in the source code allow LTC transactions to begin authenticating more rapidly than BTC transactions.

ADOPTION - 5
POPULARITY - 5
SECURITY - 7
EASE OF USE - 6
INNOVATIVENESS - 3
DEVELOPMENT - 5
MARKETING - 6
PUBLIC IMAGE - 7

NOTES: Commonly referred to as "the silver to bitcoin gold". Bitcoin purists claim it is pointless repetition. Litecoin borrowed the idea of using scrypt for block mining from Tenebrix (TBX)

#3 Namecoin, NMC, Released 2011, Created by vinced

#4 Ripple, XRP, Released 2013/01, Creators jed/OpenCoin

#5 Devcoin, DVC, Released 2011/08, Created by Unthinkingbit

#6 Ixcoin, IXC, Released 2011/08, Created by Nasakioto

#7 PPCoin, PPC, Released 2012/08, Created by Sunny King

#8 Terracoin, TRC, Released 2012/10

#9 novacoin, NVC, Released 2013/02, Created by Balthazar

# freicoin, Released  2012/12, Created by maaku and jtimon

# timeKoin, Release 2012/06
This coin has no limit on coins and uses low level hardware for mining and uses speed of coin discovery to limit difficulty.

#geist geld, Released 2011/09, Created by Lolcust

# tenebrix, Released 2011/09, Created by Lolcust

# fairbrix, Released 2011/10, Created by coblee

# liquidcoin, Released 2012/01, Created by Nicksasa

# bbqcoin, Released 2012/07, Creator Cubox

# qubic, Released 2012/09, Creator Come-from-Beyond

# novacoin, Released 2013/02, Creator Balthazar

-

Contributors:

Nameface, Sunny King, nwbitcoin

Benefactors:

___ ~ ___

Please post some suggestions/drafts below! Any and all legit cryptocurrencies should be included.

Petitions to change information in The Chronicle may be made by anyone at any time via this thread. Every official change in the document will result in a new version #.

This will be an ongoing project. I'm looking for 2 partners to vote on what information and ratings are included. PM me if you're interested. I'd like to work with people who follow the crypto markets closely and/or are well-versed in the technology (because I am not).

If the projects works a voting panel may be assembled in order to maximize accuracy and legitimacy.

The Chronicle bitcoin address -> 12kLmrLFYRo1P87cxuBnD2LbKZJu4PWDhH  |  Donations are appreciated and will be used to improve the project.

Contributors and Donators may have their names added to the bottom of The Chronicle.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 11:28:52 PM

Please note tenebrix was the first altcoin using scrypt instead of sha256 for block mining. Litecoin copied the idea and code. So I couldn't see how litecoin deserves a 5 for 'innovativeness'.
nameface (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:31:33 PM

Please note tenebrix was the first altcoin using scrypt instead of sha256 for block mining. Litecoin copied the idea and code. So I couldn't see how litecoin deserves a 5 for 'innovativeness'.

Fair enough, I'm knocking it down to 3. I'll mention TBX in the notes.
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 11:56:51 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2013, 01:06:31 AM by Sunny King

Here is a rough timeline of altcoins and creators

Code:
bitcoin    2009/01 (satoshi)
namecoin   2011/04 (vinced)
multicoin  2011/06 (sacarlson)
devcoin    2011/08 (Unthinkingbit)
ixcoin     2011/08 (Nasakioto)
solidcoin  2011/08 (CoinHunter)
geist geld 2011/09 (Lolcust)
tenebrix   2011/09 (Lolcust)
rucoin     2011/10 (unknown)
fairbrix   2011/10 (coblee)
litecoin   2011/10 (coblee)
Code:
liquidcoin 2012/01 (Nicksasa)
timekoin   2012/06 (knightmb)
bbqcoin    2012/07 (Cubox)
ppcoin     2012/08 (Sunny King)
qubic      2012/09 (Come-from-Beyond)
terracoin  2012/10 (unknown)
freicoin   2012/12 (maaku, jtimon)
ripple     2013/01 (jed/OpenCoin)
novacoin   2013/02 (Balthazar)
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 12:09:47 AM

timeKoin needs a mention.

Not sure how similar to bitcoin it is, as it doesn't have a limit on coins, uses low level hardware for mining and uses speed of coin discovery to limit difficulty.

this idea, while a good one, doesn't seem to offer anything new compared to what is available on the wiki.

what's the USP that I missed?

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
nameface (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 12:11:22 AM

timeKoin needs a mention.

Not sure how similar to bitcoin it is, as it doesn't have a limit on coins, uses low level hardware for mining and uses speed of coin discovery to limit difficulty.

this idea, while a good one, doesn't seem to offer anything new compared to what is available on the wiki.

what's the USP that I missed?

Cool, I'll mention timeKoin. What wiki are you referring to?
CryptoJunky

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 01:45:54 AM

This looks like it could turn into a pretty awesome project, especially as a history of coins that have tried and failed of which there will certainly be a few. However, the ratings and rankings seem as though they could be a bit subjective. Given the 'competitiveness' that you can see between alt coin evangelists you're more than likely going to get a few different opinions as well as a few dissenters. It may prove better to just list the factual information and background of the coin such as founding, algorithm, unique characteristics, market cap, short bio, etc.

Just a thought really. Whichever way you go it's very much appreciated. Thanks!

nameface (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:18:57 AM

This looks like it could turn into a pretty awesome project, especially as a history of coins that have tried and failed of which there will certainly be a few. However, the ratings and rankings seem as though they could be a bit subjective.

Yeah the subjectivity is a problem. Ratings may be over-complicating things at this point. I was just going with every idea I had.
If this evolves I would want to base ratings on votes. Maybe create a wiki where members vote and approve changes.

Now I'm seeing an independent collective, open to everyone, compiling the story of cryptocurrencies as accurately and democratically as possible with the goal of simplifying the introduction of cryptos to newbs.

hanzac

Activity: 425
Merit: 262

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:04:53 AM

from astrology view:

Bitcoin is guarded by the Sun
Litecoin is guarded by the Moon and the Mercury [this means in the shadow of the Bitcoin, but with rapid thinking]
Namecoin is guarded also by the Mercury and the Jupiter [it's knowledgeable, containable, expansible]
Terracoin is guarded by the Saturn [from its name, and low temper]
Novacoin is guarded by the Uranus [from its name, and the start-up bull show]
PPCoin is guarded by the Jupiter [from its expansion speed]

// TO BE IMPROVED ...
nameface (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:22:44 PM

List updated. I need more details.

Which coins are dead?
shamaniotastook

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 09:50:34 AM

this isn't really an 'alt-coin', but i think it at least deserves notable mention for it's uniqueness (and if one looks under the hood, the implementation--especially the javascript--is pristine).

in any case, YotaGem, Browser Mining for Satoshi (.00000001 BTC)

more details available here:

https://github.com/shamaniotas/yotagem/wiki/UI-Mining-Worker-Tab

and here

https://github.com/shamaniotas/yotagem/wiki

the screenshots are from the alpha/dev environment, th production environment should be up and running (wiht the first realm) within a week or so Smiley

enjoy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: