Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:11:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug update: Incoming transactions not appearing in MultiBit  (Read 8586 times)
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 11:41:21 AM

Hello All,

There have been a few reports recently of transactions being sent to MultiBit and them not appearing.
I thought I would give an update on this bug as it is both serious and annoying.

Symptoms
You send a transaction to MultiBit and it does not appear either as a zero confirmation transaction and does not appear when the next block arrives either.

Workaround
If you do a 'Tools | Reset blockchain and transactions' from before the date of the transaction (I normally choose the day before) the transaction appears.

Tracking it down
I had a user send me some logs last night where this bug occurred - it was a fresh install of MultiBit and he gave me all the details. The current level of logging in MultiBit focuses mainly on the 'top level' activity. Transactions coming and going mainly. There was no sign of the transaction coming in.

I have thus widened the logging to include all the 'low level' activity - this is all the network traffic and all the Bitcoin protocol messages - and this will appear in the next release. The next release will be in a couple of days. This makes the log files a lot bigger and more difficult to read but it needs doing so that we can track this bug down.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shkiser

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:53:45 AM

I had issues with btc being sent out from multibit client. Havent had an issue with incoming transfers tho. Im not sure if this was related. I havent updated my app since early winter of 2012.

Free Litecoin Faucet ---> http://ltc4you.com/?r=6840
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 12:16:42 PM

If you don't see all the incoming transactions (especially spends if you have your private keys somewhere else too) that can cause subsequent problems.

That's why I am focusing in this bug first. (I have put some extra logging into the code related to other things too mind).

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
shkiser

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:31:20 AM

I just had this happen. Transferred nearly 3 btc to my wallet and theyre not showing up at all. Double checked and rechecked and I def didnt mistype the address.. Should I update my client as I havent done this yet bc I didnt want to run into any problems with my balance. What can I do here?

shkiser

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:33:26 AM

I just followed your workaround information, I hope this helps and I dont lose all of my bitcoins! My balance went to zero, and it now says its syncing with network, but doesnt seem to be doing anything.

shkiser

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:35:17 AM

Fuck I thought I was resetting back to the previous day but just noticed the year was defaulted at 2012.. Its downloading 53,140 blockS! Is there anyway to stop this and redo it? Without fucking anything up? Need help!

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 08:14:44 AM

If you are connected to a node with bloom filters 53,000 blocks should not take too long. Ten or fifteen minutes. It's easiest just to let it finish syncing. If you do 'View | Messages' you get info as it syncs.

shkiser

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:05:01 AM

all fixed. Thanks

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 11:09:50 AM

@shkiser. Also I forgot to mention that there is a fix for those incoming transactions not appearing in the latest download on multibit.org.

davidoski

Activity: 297

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 12:12:22 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 01:53:43 AM by davidoski

I'm using 0.4.9 version of Multibit for Linux - should I uprade to avoid problems with this bug?

The other thing I just noticed - Multibit shows 227942 number of blocks when Blockchain.info shows over 228.000. Is this correct or something is wrong here?

EDIT: I switched to version 0.4.23 and now everything looks fine. Version 0.4.9 seems to be some old beta and probably hence the problem.

Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
shkiser

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:35:26 PM

So if I go and dl the new multibit version is it just a patch and will update my earlier version? Or do I have to install and uninstall the old version.  Will I have a new wallet number? Sorry just want to verify a few things before updating. I have about 20 bitcoins in my wallet and would be bummed if I lost them.

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 06:15:14 PM

@shkiser
The wallets are stored in a user data area separate to where MultiBit installs itself (if you have used all the defaults in the installer). You can just install the new version.

If you have 20 bitcoins in your wallet but don't have the wallet file backed up somewhere safe (I put mine on two USB drives) then now is a great time to do it !

To backup your wallet:

1) Shut down MultiBit so that it writes everything out.
2) Copy the "<your file name>.wallet" file (MOST IMPORTANT), the "<your file name>.info" (has labelling info) to a directory on your USB drive.

Also this help tells you how to back up your private keys into a separate file.
https://multibit.org/help_backupWalletUsingPrivateKeys.html

I do both.

davidoski

Activity: 297

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:38:43 PM

Don't forget to encrypt the files with at least 20 character password (I use TrueCrypt for that task) to ensure that when you lose USB drive or someone else gets access to your PC he/she won't be able to get access to your money kept in those files.

Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
Neverest

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:45:07 PM

To backup your wallet:

1) Shut down MultiBit so that it writes everything out.
2) Copy the "<your file name>.wallet" file (MOST IMPORTANT), the "<your file name>.info" (has labelling info) to a directory on your USB drive.

Also this help tells you how to back up your private keys into a separate file.
https://multibit.org/help_backupWalletUsingPrivateKeys.html

I do both.

Do you need to do both in order to restore your wallet? Or are both actions doing the same thing?
If so, then more files available for trojans etc to send out might be dangerous? Which option is more secure or is it the same?

When exporting the private keys, I can at least encrypt them, but the wallet file seems open?

Thanks
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:44:33 AM

Hi Neverest,

You need your private keys to be able to spend your bitcoin. These are contained in both the '.wallet' file and the private key export. I suggest you do both as that is like wearing a belt AND braces. It takes a few seconds to do and could save you thousands of dollars.

Currently the private key export can be encrypted but you are correct the wallets in the live code are not. There is test code with encrypted wallet support that hopefully is only a couple of weeks away from being released. It is being tested at the moment.

Coincrazy

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:05:56 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 07:16:55 PM by Coincrazy

Hi Neverest,

You need your private keys to be able to spend your bitcoin. These are contained in both the '.wallet' file and the private key export. I suggest you do both as that is like wearing a belt AND braces. It takes a few seconds to do and could save you thousands of dollars.

Currently the private key export can be encrypted but you are correct the wallets in the live code are not. There is test code with encrypted wallet support that hopefully is only a couple of weeks away from being released. It is being tested at the moment.

Hi Jim

in case you are a developer in multibit, my thanks for providing a free client and also follow up service here. Edit : I've downloaded & installed version 0.4.23 (looks like the last stable release)

I'm quite new to bit coin, but I do know something about PGP

I have used PGP for sending / receiving both signed as well as encrypted mail

could you please help me with one "user" question and one "slightly more technical" question

user question
-------------------
which is the latest release to download ? I am ready to test your beta versions. I have NO bit coins as of date ..so I see no major risk

I do NOT know how to buy bitcoins and I am NOT set up with any broker ... since even using the word paypal is considered a scam here I do NOT know hot to buy bitcoins ! :-( I'm just another honest noobie NOT knowing how to buy bitcoins If it is ok to test with such a noobie, please propose

slightly more technical question
-----------------------------------
- I understand my private key, I understand I need to keep it safe, I understand that I should keep it backed up, loosing it is disaster etc

- However I do NOT understand what is the wallet account or file on my machine and what does the private key do .. ? what is the function here

any tips / pointers are most welcomw

regards
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:36:40 PM

Hi CoinCrazy,

If you have a look in the 'Release information' thread I give details of the latest live release (the one you see on the website if you just go to https://multibit.org) and the test releases.

The test releases are also on the multibit.org website but only in the https://multibit.org/releases directory.

RE: buying bitcoins - I am not really the best person to answer that question. MultiBit does not really help in actually buying bitcoin.

Your Bitcoin private key is a bit similar to a PGP private key - you use it to sign either a transaction (Bitcoin) or an email (PGP). You wallet is where the private key is stored - it is in this respect very similar to a keystore/ keychain.

If you lose your private key you cannot sign a bitcoin transaction so effectively you cannot spend your bitcoin. They are lost to you forever.

Coincrazy

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:48:07 PM

Hi CoinCrazy,

If you have a look in the 'Release information' thread I give details of the latest live release (the one you see on the website if you just go to https://multibit.org) and the test releases.

The test releases are also on the multibit.org website but only in the https://multibit.org/releases directory.

RE: buying bitcoins - I am not really the best person to answer that question. MultiBit does not really help in actually buying bitcoin.

Your Bitcoin private key is a bit similar to a PGP private key - you use it to sign either a transaction (Bitcoin) or an email (PGP). You wallet is where the private key is stored - it is in this respect very similar to a keystore/ keychain.

If you lose your private key you cannot sign a bitcoin transaction so effectively you cannot spend your bitcoin. They are lost to you forever.

Super

what happens IF one looses a wallet but has the private key ? can he regenerate the wallet from somewhere ? NO in general I suppose
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 08:14:32 PM

The private key is the important thing.
You can, for instance, create a new wallet and then import a private key into it.

Coincrazy

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:17:30 PM

The private key is the important thing.
You can, for instance, create a new wallet and then import a private key into it.

Thanls

1. So even IF I loose the wallet, then create a new and import private key into it, will I get back my cash ?

2. Normally in PGP while signing with Private key , while using private key we use passphrase. Is there such a requirement while sending coins ?

regards

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: