Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:50:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement: Tradehill is back  (Read 11123 times)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 10:38:56 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2013, 01:04:35 AM by JoelKatz

To be perfectly clear: Jared Kenna lied about Dwolla, ran off with a lot of money, used that money to build some real estate development (in partnership with a different set of scammers, the Jonathan Ryan Owens, Alberto Armandi, Meni Rosenfeld troop), is now back like any scammer ever trying to dig himself out of the hole with incredible cheek and pennies on the Bitcoin.
The only problem with this narrative is that there is nobody claiming that Jared ran off with significant amounts of their money. Unless I'm forgetting something, there were only two people who made that claim, both for very small amounts (both less than $1,000), and neither claim seemed credible.

Also, I'm curious why you think Tradehill is misrepresenting the Dwolla situation. My understanding was that it was pretty clear -- Dwolla specifically promised no chargebacks, but then Dwolla made payments disappear. Tradehill is not the only company claiming this. And they didn't use it to take other people's money, only to wind down their business -- something they could have done for no reason. Perhaps they exaggerated the problem so that they could try to get more money out of Dwolla (or more sympathy out of the community?), but even assuming that's true, I don't see why any Bitcoin people should particularly care. Dwolla was the company that built themselves on Bitcoin and then turned their back.

Moreover, my recollection was that none of this was controversial at the time. I had no idea there was another version of these events going around.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 10:49:04 PM

I'm not faulting anyone.  Just pointing how the statement "TradeHill paid back every single one of their account holders when they shut down." was incorrect.  Smiley
Showing a statement "incorrect" by ignoring its context is gamesmanship. If have a hard time believing that you honestly understand that statement to be contradicted by a failure to do the impossible.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:58:22 PM

I don't get the johnny-come-lately trolls coming out to slander Tradehill.

I used them before they closed down, and I never had any problems. If it were a scam, I would've been hit on the trades I made.

That never happened. As for allegations about running away with funds, dogs and cats sleeping together and other rantings -- my experience doesn't mirror this creative fiction.

Glad you guys are back.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
confinedsc

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:20:17 AM

I have been posting on this forum since July last year about how I have not received my funds from them.

I have emailed them countless times.  I even called the cell phone number of Jered listed on these forums last year.  NO RESPONSE whatsoever!

I have emailed them again since the claim address became available and have had no response. 

Last week I did finally call the phone number on their website and spoke to the CTO and he said to give them a few days and he emailed them for me, so I am still waiting. 

I will call them again tomorrow.  This has been an awful experience!!!!!!!
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:22:59 AM

I used them before they closed down, and I never had any problems. If it were a scam, I would've been hit on the trades I made.

That never happened. As for allegations about running away with funds, dogs and cats sleeping together and other rantings -- my experience doesn't mirror this creative fiction.

Glad you guys are back.

For one, I have no idea where you get off with the "come lately" and "troll" bullshit, but you need to check yourself. I don't recall you having said anything useful at any point, of which a good example would be calling out the pirate scam (which, incidentally, a bunch of "come earlies" were supporting like it was their family, and which incidentally I called, nobody else).

For the other, just because they stole from the unknowns and paid out their friends (same model as Hash King, Amazingrando etc) and generally influential people does NOT make them legitimate. It makes them the exact opposite of legitimate, and for that matter this is a wide open scam model (collect money from everyone, pay out the big dogs, walk away). Participating in something like that is not only immoral, not only very damaging to Bitcoin, but moreover I hope will land you in jail, which is where this sort of crap belongs.

For that matter, Jared has to come up with the results of his alleged dwolla lawsuit which magically disappeared, not with more schmoozing.

I don't think this can be said enough times: associating with scammers will fuck you over. It has happened a million times on this forum already, it never seems like it's going to be the case this time, bla bla bla. It always is the case. Just don't.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
confinedsc

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 06:39:25 PM

So Jered finally responded to my emails yesterday THANK GOD!!!!!

He said he is transferring my remaining balance today, so hopefully I will finally have my bitcoins back!!! whoo hoo

A bit crazy that it's taken almost a year, but I'm thankful that it's happening at all.

I'll let everyone know if/when they come through!
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 06:49:14 PM

Glad you guys are back.

For one, I have no idea where you get off with the "come lately" and "troll" bullshit, but you need to check yourself. I don't recall you having said anything useful at any point, of which a good example would be calling out the pirate scam (which, incidentally, a bunch of "come earlies" were supporting like it was their family, and which incidentally I called, nobody else).

For the other, just because they stole from the unknowns and paid out their friends (same model as Hash King, Amazingrando etc) and generally influential people does NOT make them legitimate. It makes them the exact opposite of legitimate, and for that matter this is a wide open scam model (collect money from everyone, pay out the big dogs, walk away). Participating in something like that is not only immoral, not only very damaging to Bitcoin, but moreover I hope will land you in jail, which is where this sort of crap belongs.

For that matter, Jared has to come up with the results of his alleged dwolla lawsuit which magically disappeared, not with more schmoozing.

I don't think this can be said enough times: associating with scammers will fuck you over. It has happened a million times on this forum already, it never seems like it's going to be the case this time, bla bla bla. It always is the case. Just don't.

I'm glad you're admitting you troll, that is the first step towards getting some kind of help. (Maybe.)

As for not calling out Pirate - There were plenty in that particular dogpile of a financial scam saying that he was a fraud. I steered clear because I knew it was too good to be true.

As for Tradehill - I know what their service is, and what it has done for me. I don't need your particular flavor of creative history to make that determination.

If you don't like them, fine - go back to playing Satoshi Dice with the rest of the muppets.

dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 07:26:43 PM

I think it's possible that the PR person for "Mircea Popescu's Options Emporium" might consider Tradehill a potential competitor. Perhaps MPOE was hoping to start offering a similar set of services.

I have personally spoken to Jered many times, by email, over the phone, and via other channels, and he's in a very short list of bitcoin businesspeople I trust. Michael Hendrix is also on that list, and . . . that is it. They both have the unique distinction of having run a big bitcoin business, handling lots of money, and then closing it down without an implosion. Very very few have done that.

drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:47:39 PM

What about the people to whom Tradehill still owe BTC?

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:46:17 PM

I'm glad you're admitting you troll, that is the first step towards getting some kind of help. (Maybe.)

As for not calling out Pirate - There were plenty in that particular dogpile of a financial scam saying that he was a fraud. I steered clear because I knew it was too good to be true.

As for Tradehill - I know what their service is, and what it has done for me. I don't need your particular flavor of creative history to make that determination.

If you don't like them, fine - go back to playing Satoshi Dice with the rest of the muppets.

Fuckwit, learn to read. Then learn to comprehend what you've read.

Plenty my ass. There was me, April 17th (and in case anyone wonders how the kraken meme got started...).

I think it's possible that the PR person for "Mircea Popescu's Options Emporium" might consider Tradehill a potential competitor. Perhaps MPOE was hoping to start offering a similar set of services.

I have personally spoken to Jered many times, by email, over the phone, and via other channels, and he's in a very short list of bitcoin businesspeople I trust. Michael Hendrix is also on that list, and . . . that is it. They both have the unique distinction of having run a big bitcoin business, handling lots of money, and then closing it down without an implosion. Very very few have done that.

Right-o. Except MPEx doesn't trade in fiat. How about we think more, this "competitor" angle has been done to death already.

What about the people to whom Tradehill still owe BTC?

If they make a stink they'll get repaid. Maybe. Somewhat. Otherwise they've just contributed to Bitcoin's Scammer Beer Fund.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
confinedsc

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:56:32 PM

Ok so finally I received my bitcoins back from Tradehill today!!!!!

I don't know if I ever would have gotten them if they hadn't reopened tradehill, but I'm grateful I got them finally!!

WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!   I thought that money was lost forever....
bittencoin

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:12:56 AM

How long is the wait time for responses from claim@tradehill.com?
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:27:05 AM

Fuckwit, learn to read. Then learn to comprehend what you've read.

Hit a nerve, did I? How tragic. Keep spewing your bile, it seems to be the only thing you're good at.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:22:32 PM

Hit a nerve, did I?

No, you hit a wall.

m_silkstone

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:07:02 AM

I've been trying to get my Bitcoins back for a good while now, but I have yet to recieve a response. I'm posting here in hopes of getting Jered's attention.
bittencoin

Activity: 83

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:25:18 PM

Tradehill's site can be found at http://www.tradehill.com.

For press inquiries, contact:

Contact Info: Tradehill
              2415 Mission Street
              San Francisco, CA 94110
              (415) 800-1400
press@tradehill.com

For balance claims on the original Tradehill please email: claim@tradehill.com

Why are they posting claim info when they don't even bother to return claim inquiries?  I contacted them and only sent 1 follow up email, it has been a week and no response.  According to them, they settled most accounts and only have a few straggling accounts left to payback, so why are they ignoring these few claim emails?

I am starting to think that they settled a few small accounts to get those people to shill for them to enhance their reps.  It is kind of odd that a few people here are popping veins defending tradehill, considering that they have not even done the minimum of their expected obligations, which is letting people know ahead of time that they were shutting down, and square away legitimate claims.
m_silkstone

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:53:02 AM

I have been contacted by them. But, not through that e-mail address or the forums. I'll let you know how I get on; I should have an answer later today.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 02:04:18 AM

I'm happy to see new competition against Mt. Gox.  Too much power in that one exchange.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
m_silkstone

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:45:54 AM

Still no reply after the original message from them. It's been 2 days now since that message and 10 months since my first e-mail. I am still hoping to hear something more.
bitblazing

Activity: 109

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:43:08 PM

I have sent a email regarding my BTC from my old account and I have not heard anything back.

Can someone help me?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: