Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:13:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie restrictions (Please discuss forum policy here.)  (Read 38165 times)
jakemates

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

firstbits.com/1c3qpa

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 07:23:50 AM

Would it be possible to be whitelisted? My posts aren't amazing, but I did start the discussion about the response to trolling Smiley

Already posted my request, but think it may have gotten passed over Cheesy
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:26:30 AM

WTF?  The only thing this is going to solve is to completely keep newbies from ever becoming anything but newbies.  How many people are willing to post 50 freakin posts in a newby section so they can actually ask the real question they have?Huh
If you make quality knowledgeable posts, we'll whitelist you early. The standards aren't that high, but you're not on a good start.

D: My first couple posts in this section were fairly ... umm.. quality, not really knowledgeable, I don't have much knowledge of the subject matter at hand

Then desperation struck Sad
jakemates

firstbits.com/1c3qpa

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 07:29:40 AM

This is a great idea - stop trolls and helps the forum. Doesn't have to even be much, say 0.01BTC to bypass the 50-post count.
aop

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:31:24 AM

This 50 post limit is pretty clear attempt at curbing the discussion about "Bitcoin bubble" in Economics and Bitcoin Discussion boards.

Very classy move to label people who think the current USD value of Bitcoin is a bubble as trolls...
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:32:00 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 07:35:48 AM by Maged

This new restriction preventing new comers from posting outside of the newbie section is a total non-sense.
That won't stop spammers for whom 50 posts is a non-problem.
On the other hand, all the legitimate posters will have their subjects all mixed up here, and won't be able to post at the relevant place.

Look : if I am mining with pool xyz and there is a technical issue I want to raise to the pool operator, or if I found a bug in the bitcoin client and I want to report it, or if I am wanting to do business in the market forum, how am I going to do that now?

The person who made this decision is a douche.
No personal offence intented, but I mean it : seriously, you are a douche.

Oh and did I mention I think you are a douche?

Good.
Still 46 47* posts to go

Edit by Maged:
*Merged double post
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:32:36 AM

WTF?  The only thing this is going to solve is to completely keep newbies from ever becoming anything but newbies.  How many people are willing to post 50 freakin posts in a newby section so they can actually ask the real question they have?Huh
If you make quality knowledgeable posts, we'll whitelist you early. The standards aren't that high, but you're not on a good start.

D: My first couple posts in this section were fairly ... umm.. quality, not really knowledgeable, I don't have much knowledge of the subject matter at hand

Then desperation struck Sad
The lack of knowledge is what defines you as a newbie still. Don't worry, that's fine! All of us were newbies once.

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:33:47 AM

This 50 post limit is pretty clear attempt at curbing the discussion about "Bitcoin bubble" in Economics and Bitcoin Discussion boards.

Very classy move to label people who think the current USD value of Bitcoin is a bubble as trolls...
There was no need for so many threads about it. Also, there was WAY too much panicking.

Valalvax

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:34:16 AM

I think the problem was more people whose only discussion was "*Link "news" article that doesn't have any source* OMFG THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING AMG EVERYONE SELL STOP BUYING MINING RIGS"
killer2021

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:35:17 AM

I think the problem was more people whose only discussion was "*Link "news" article that doesn't have any source* OMFG THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING AMG EVERYONE SELL STOP BUYING MINING RIGS"

hahah serious, people were going batshit nuts lol.

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
1H6mqgB6UcqKt2SrCmhjxUp9np1Xrbkdj7
jakemates

firstbits.com/1c3qpa

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 07:35:50 AM

I agree that the restriction is useless, but it was actually in response to an influx of somethingawful trolls.

(even though many of the trolls had 50+ posts)
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:35:54 AM

There was no need for so many threads about it. Also, there was WAY too much panicking.
Are you really admitting that "panic" was the reason for this rule? You're actually doing this because you consider people with sensible and reasonable criticism/opinions to be trolls? Wow...

I thought this rule was for REAL trolling, like people who hate Bitcoin and just instigate arguments... but due to panic? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Elon Krusky
Maxxx

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:36:50 AM

The topics and discussion was very childish. Good try though.

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
bittersweet

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:37:53 AM

No. These people weren't the problem. The problem was earlier, when people started to be like OMFG IT GOES PARABOLIC NEW ECONOMY WE ALL WILL BE RICH BUY BUY AMG YOU WILL HAVE PRIVATE SPACESHIP ONE YEAR FROM NOW.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:38:17 AM

It was pretty obvious that there was an organized attempt by some outsiders to spam the board with panic posts from brand new accounts with <5 posts.
Valalvax

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:38:25 AM

Are you really admitting that "panic" was the reason for this rule? You're actually doing this because you consider people with sensible and reasonable criticism/opinions to be trolls? Wow...

I thought this rule was for REAL trolling, like people who hate Bitcoin and just instigate arguments... but due to panic? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

No, the problem was the panic makers were trolling, making shit up to cause panic... in a.... trolling... manner...

pretty hard to explain, but I definitely noticed it and I was ignoring most of them
Marcus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:38:26 AM

Thank you, and a note of appreciation from a happy newbie.

Just a few minutes ago, I sent a request for whitelisting to the OP-moderator on this thread.
The whitelisting was virtually instant.

For about 15 years now, I've watched Internet forums (and bulletin boards) start up, grow some, then change into decay mode and die -- all because there wasn't careful moderation.
So I'm very pleased to see attention to quality here on the Bitcoin Forum.
That encourages me to contribute more time and thought.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:38:40 AM

Look : if I am mining with pool xyz and there is a technical issue I want to raise to the pool operator, or if I found a bug in the bitcoin client and I want to report it, or if I am wanting to do business in the market forum, how am I going to do that now?
Unless you prove to us that you know the basics, you'd just be wasting those people's time. Don't worry, we can help you here.

jakemates

firstbits.com/1c3qpa

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 07:38:55 AM

a mod at 149, someone knows what he's doing. I've seen trolls with more posts..

TBH one of the biggest trolls had 150+ posts.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:40:37 AM

No, the problem was the panic makers were trolling, making shit up to cause panic... in a.... trolling... manner...

pretty hard to explain, but I definitely noticed it and I was ignoring most of them
Ah, so their trolling was to induce panic. Okay well that's a problem, but was it really that unmanagable? I see that they took on some mods for this section, they probably could have solved the problem getting some more global mods or giving more mods the ability to warn/suspend/ban.

Elon Krusky
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:41:04 AM

You need 50 posts to post outside, so just share and help others out. Its to stop spam.

This actually generates spam, in the newbie forum at least.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: