Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:55:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Since BFL isn't able to deliver, why doesn't AMD do a SHA256 ASIC line?  (Read 463 times)
bitcoinnix (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:03:42 PM

It seems like ATI could design, fab, and deliver easily and in a short timeframe, given their existing infrastructure.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tycho

Activity: 34

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:53:14 PM

It seems like ATI could design, fab, and deliver easily and in a short timeframe, given their existing infrastructure.

Because the market is tiny compared to the markets that they're already targeting.
bitcoinnix (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 04:37:22 PM

Because the market is tiny compared to the markets that they're already targeting.
So's the Linux market but they're dumping lots of money into that right now on hopes of continued growth.  Seems the potential for growth would be well worth it for SHA-256 and sCrypt mining.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:37:51 AM

So's the Linux market but they're dumping lots of money into that right now on hopes of continued growth.
Say what? The Linux market is huge. The majority of servers and virtually all supercomputers run Linux as well as a significant number of embedded devices. The bitcoin mining market is absolutely microscopic by comparison. But don't worry. I'm pretty confident AMD will develop bitcoin mining ASICs once the market's big enough.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
bitcoinnix (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:51:34 AM

So's the Linux market but they're dumping lots of money into that right now on hopes of continued growth.
Say what? The Linux market is huge. The majority of servers and virtually all supercomputers run Linux as well as a significant number of embedded devices.
I'm a Linux sysadmin by trade so I get the market size for servers - but I can promise you that almost nobody is using AMD proprietary drivers on their Linux servers (It's a pain, even with DKMS & akmod to deal with the changes that kernel updates bring to modules).

I more meant that the Linux high-performance desktop market is microscopic compared to the rest of their line, so I'd bet bitcoin ASICs (or really even just really nicely done SHA-256 & sCrypt FPGAs) would be worth it to them. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: