Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:48:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: mBTC: At what point should the community use this as the default unit?  (Read 4660 times)
eklass (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:38:44 PM

As BTC goes up in price, BTC holders will buy bigger things with Bitcoins

BTC will be good for houses, cars, other investments, vacations, jewelry, etc.

We can buy sodas with fiat.

Just like stocks and treasuries, etc. Nobody sells them to buy a soda.

This is a losing strategy for mass adoption.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:03:39 PM

Maybe best to stick to BTC and learn to deal with leading 0s?

and this is why bitcoin is currently a geek thing! ;/

The general public with prefer to do without than to learn to deal with anything!

The concept of marketing is all about making things easy for people.

Make it look like a dollar, and they might warm to it.  Make it look like the missing part of the pi equation and bitcoin is going to have no friends! Wink

The general public really isn't an issue, as the general public tends to do things on a whim after "everyone else" is doing it.  What's Bitcoin to the general public?  I don't know, but my idol is using it, and I heard my geeky pal is making money off it, so it must be legitimate and, ultimately, a good thing, so I will divert my attention toward it and maybe even setup a wallet so I can start getting some, too.  The only thing we need is time, and room for BTC to breathe, and the general public will tag along with the next best technology.  Left unhindered, Bitcoin will spread like a virus, despite the lengthy sciency mathy explanation as to what it actually is.

Ok back on topic, I believe once .001 becomes a common denomination for basic things, mBTC will gain traction.  Right now, 1 USD is equal to roughly BTC.02~ (rounded up), and 1 mBTC is worth about 6 cents.  Considering psychological techniques in marketing, it's generally better to list something as .05 BTC, than it is to list it as 50 mBTC, as .05 BTC looks much cheaper--it's only 5 bitcents!  A bitnickel Smiley  If, however, BTC were to jump really high in price (let's say, $1,000 to one BTC), then you have parity with mBTC to the dollar.  At this point, it would be great to start using mBTC, instead of using .001, as I don't know what to call a fraction of a bitpenny that's relevant to the USD Tongue  Perhaps then mBTC would look much more attractive in style, despite both being correct usage.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 09:25:18 PM

We're close to the point that people will naturally start to use millies. I will, for sure. When we need to pay less than 0.1 for something often enough, the transition will happen by itself. It's nothing that needs to be addressed or put much thought into, I guarantee the transition will simply happen.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
potato5491

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:42:27 PM

This kind of thing tends to be determined by merchants. I for one would like to see a nice blend of pre-decimalisation sterling references and cockney rhyming slang.

For example: "Aright geezer, this 'ere motor will set yer back a monkey and two bob!"
Translation: "Good day sir, this fine automobile will cost you 500.05 BTC"
Domrada

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 09:46:01 PM

I really think we're making too big a deal of this. The "general public" already deals with this in $.  Ex: $50B. $50M. $50K. $50. 50 cents.  we choose the appropriate units depending on the amount. I'm sure people will figure out how to do the same with bitcoin.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:48:04 PM

A better question is, when will the satoshi match the dollar?  Grin

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 10:02:09 PM

A better question is, when will the satoshi match the dollar?  Grin

Helicopter Ben and his good pal Gideon Gono say hi and Ben's trying to sort this out as quickly as possible. Grin

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
yokosan

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:17:27 PM

It would be nice if people that are selling cheap stuff started right now.
eklass (OP)

Activity: 32

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:34:26 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2013, 01:20:49 AM by eklass

I really think we're making too big a deal of this. The "general public" already deals with this in $.  Ex: $50B. $50M. $50K. $50. 50 cents.  we choose the appropriate units depending on the amount. I'm sure people will figure out how to do the same with bitcoin.

I understand your point, but the billion/million/thousand specifiers aret (relatively unknown) descending SI units in an currency looking for recognition. Most people still can't differentiate between megs and gigs on their smartphone. Ask a hundred people on the street which is worth more, a BTC, mBTC or uBTC and I'll be surprised if more than 10% even notice that mBTC != uBTC.

To that end, doesn't it make sense to start using mBTC as the standard unit now, since that's the way the world will be headed if BTC/USD price continues to rise?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:36:29 PM

I really think we're making too big a deal of this. The "general public" already deals with this in $.  Ex: $50B. $50M. $50K. $50. 50 cents.  we choose the appropriate units depending on the amount. I'm sure people will figure out how to do the same with bitcoin.

I understand your point, but the billion/million/thousand specifiers aren't (relatively unknown) descending SI units in an currency looking for recognition. Most people still can't differentiate between megs and gigs on their smartphone. Ask a hundred people on the street which is worth more, a BTC, mBTC or uBTC and I'll be surprised if more than 10% even notice that mBTC != uBTC.

To that end, doesn't it make sense to start using mBTC as the standard unit now, since that's the way the world will be headed if BTC/USD price continues to rise?

Tell you what: when BTC settles at over $100 a pop, I vow to start using mBTC Grin

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:57:28 PM

What is so difficult about writing 0.0000000001 BTC?

wrong on purpose?
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 12:40:24 AM

What is so difficult about writing 0.0000000001 BTC?

wrong on purpose?

100 pBTC? Grin

I've seen bitcoin sites accounting to pBTC granularity before. Obviously this cannot be done on the blockchain itself. It is unlikely we will ever need subsatoshi units as part of the protocol, though, but one should never say never.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
AbsoluteZero

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:32:34 AM

I understand your point, but the billion/million/thousand specifiers aren't (relatively unknown) descending SI units in an currency looking for recognition. Most people still can't differentiate between megs and gigs on their smartphone. Ask a hundred people on the street which is worth more, a BTC, mBTC or uBTC and I'll be surprised if more than 10% even notice that mBTC != uBTC.

Tell you what: when BTC settles at over $100 a pop, I vow to start using mBTC Grin

Next week???
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:21:14 AM

Dragon's Tale got this right back in 2011

0.001btc = 1btm or bitmill

all this scientific notation mbtc just makes us look like the nerds we are
+1000btm

> Re: mBTC: At what point should the community use this as the default unit?
now
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:29:08 AM

an apple is worth less than a milli coin already

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
vqp

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:33:53 AM

I don't know what to call a fraction of a bitpenny that's relevant to the USD

Following the rules of SI 0.01 BTC (bitpenny) would be 1 cBTC (centiBTC)

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 11:37:59 AM

No one is ever going to visit any websites whose top level domain is not provided by default by their browser when they enter a real word keyword, all this geeky crap like .com and so on just confuses them, the web will never catch on until top level domains are gotten rid of...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Belkaar

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 01:23:33 PM

I've just created logic to dynamically use mBTC and uBTC on bitcoincodes.com .

Unfortunately I'm not yet comfortable to have it show 132 mBTC instead of 0.132 BTC (which would be more logical)

bitcoinCodes.com: Get XBox live, PSN and WoW game time codes fast and anonymously
Android RPC client: Bitcoiner
Bitmessage: BM-GtcxVju35PGuD6es9vrF1SXtCVxScbjB
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:01:14 PM

but the billion/million/thousand specifiers aret (relatively unknown) descending SI units

No.

/european
BTC_MACD

Activity: 16

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 03:06:45 PM

Use Satoshi's with the familiar "computer" prefixes Kilo (K), Mega (M), Giga (G) etc.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: