Bitcoin Forum
October 20, 2017, 01:58:51 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and me (Hal Finney)  (Read 232409 times)
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:40:02 PM

I thought I'd write about the last four years, an eventful time for Bitcoin and me.

For those who don't know me, I'm Hal Finney. I got my start in crypto working on an early version of PGP, working closely with Phil Zimmermann. When Phil decided to start PGP Corporation, I was one of the first hires. I would work on PGP until my retirement. At the same time, I got involved with the Cypherpunks. I ran the first cryptographically based anonymous remailer, among other activities.

Fast forward to late 2008 and the announcement of Bitcoin. I've noticed that cryptographic graybeards (I was in my mid 50's) tend to get cynical. I was more idealistic; I have always loved crypto, the mystery and the paradox of it.

When Satoshi announced Bitcoin on the cryptography mailing list, he got a skeptical reception at best. Cryptographers have seen too many grand schemes by clueless noobs. They tend to have a knee jerk reaction.

I was more positive. I had long been interested in cryptographic payment schemes. Plus I was lucky enough to meet and extensively correspond with both Wei Dai and Nick Szabo, generally acknowledged to have created ideas that would be realized with Bitcoin. I had made an attempt to create my own proof of work based currency, called RPOW. So I found Bitcoin facinating.

When Satoshi announced the first release of the software, I grabbed it right away. I think I was the first person besides Satoshi to run bitcoin. I mined block 70-something, and I was the recipient of the first bitcoin transaction, when Satoshi sent ten coins to me as a test. I carried on an email conversation with Satoshi over the next few days, mostly me reporting bugs and him fixing them.

Today, Satoshi's true identity has become a mystery. But at the time, I thought I was dealing with a young man of Japanese ancestry who was very smart and sincere. I've had the good fortune to know many brilliant people over the course of my life, so I recognize the signs.

After a few days, bitcoin was running pretty stably, so I left it running. Those were the days when difficulty was 1, and you could find blocks with a CPU, not even a GPU. I mined several blocks over the next days. But I turned it off because it made my computer run hot, and the fan noise bothered me. In retrospect, I wish I had kept it up longer, but on the other hand I was extraordinarily lucky to be there at the beginning. It's one of those glass half full half empty things.

The next I heard of Bitcoin was late 2010, when I was surprised to find that it was not only still going, bitcoins actually had monetary value. I dusted off my old wallet, and was relieved to discover that my bitcoins were still there. As the price climbed up to real money, I transferred the coins into an offline wallet, where hopefully they'll be worth something to my heirs.

Speaking of heirs, I got a surprise in 2009, when I was suddenly diagnosed with a fatal disease. I was in the best shape of my life at the start of that year, I'd lost a lot of weight and taken up distance running. I'd run several half marathons, and I was starting to train for a full marathon. I worked my way up to 20+ mile runs, and I thought I was all set. That's when everything went wrong.

My body began to fail. I slurred my speech, lost strength in my hands, and my legs were slow to recover. In August, 2009, I was given the diagnosis of ALS, also called Lou Gehrig's disease, after the famous baseball player who got it.

ALS is a disease that kills moter neurons, which carry signals from the brain to the muscles. It causes first weakness, then gradually increasing paralysis. It is usually fatal in 2 to 5 years. My symptoms were mild at first and I continued to work, but fatigue and voice problems forced me to retire in early 2011. Since then the disease has continued its inexorable progression.

Today, I am essentially paralyzed. I am fed through a tube, and my breathing is assisted through another tube. I operate the computer using a commercial eyetracker system. It also has a speech synthesizer, so this is my voice now. I spend all day in my power wheelchair. I worked up an interface using an arduino so that I can adjust my wheelchair's position using my eyes.

It has been an adjustment, but my life is not too bad. I can still read, listen to music, and watch TV and movies. I recently discovered that I can even write code. It's very slow, probably 50 times slower than I was before. But I still love programming and it gives me goals. Currently I'm working on something Mike Hearn suggested, using the security features of modern processors, designed to support "Trusted Computing", to harden Bitcoin wallets. It's almost ready to release. I just have to do the documentation.

And of course the price gyrations of bitcoins are entertaining to me. I have skin in the game. But I came by my bitcoins through luck, with little credit to me. I lived through the crash of 2011. So I've seen it before. Easy come, easy go.

That's my story. I'm pretty lucky overall. Even with the ALS, my life is very satisfying. But my life expectancy is limited. Those discussions about inheriting your bitcoins are of more than academic interest. My bitcoins are stored in our safe deposit box, and my son and daughter are tech savvy. I think they're safe enough. I'm comfortable with my legacy.
[edited slightly]

Hal Finney
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:49:23 PM

very inspirational and you put things back into perspective.

i've enjoyed reading your posts from the early days and found them highly educational. 

thanks for your help in getting Bitcoin off the ground.
maxmint

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:49:47 PM

I was just browsing the forum when all of a sudden there's this impressive thread. Thanks for taking the time to write down your story, it's absolutely fascinating that you were there in the beginning.
Wishing you all the best and keep up your optimism!

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
LoweryCBS

Activity: 364

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:54:25 PM

Thank you, fine sir!

You are enjoying a fulfilling existence, despite the obstacles you've encountered. To that I say, "Congratulations!"
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:00:21 PM

I just have to do the documentation.

I'm sure there are plenty of us who would like to contribute, if we can.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2324

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:05:57 PM

There is at least a small group of the technical crowd around here who has been aware of your challenges— your excellent lesswrong post has been circulated many times— and every time you post something it generates great excitement on IRC. Seeing you continue on with a productive life is an inspiration to everyone and, speaking for myself usually makes my own difficulties seem a bit more trivial and surmountable— doubly so considering that many of us found your work interesting before your troubles. (E.g. I corresponded with you about RPOW back in 2004.)

More selfishly, I believe having people contributing to the Bitcoin ecosystem from many perspectives is highly valuable— your I/O limitations are a burden no one would choose, but perhaps they give you useful perspectives that others are less likely to have. I'm grateful that you've chosen to continue to spend time in this area and I hope you'll continue to find it fulfilling.  When Pieter created a pull request with your ECDSA optimizations (work which he has since continued and achieved something like a 4x speedup over OpenSSL) I quipped that we were truly in the future: we have a decenteralized cryptocurrency, and one of its developers exists in brain-in-a-jar state.

After your bcflick post I ordered an extra TPM/XMHF capable system (don't want to risk bricking my laptop messing around with it)... I'm pretty excited by that work and eager to see where it goes.

Bitcoin will not be compromised
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

AffBits.com Affiliate Network

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 09:16:09 PM

You have singlehandedly elevated the level of discourse on these forums by several degrees... for that alone, you deserve our praise and thanks.

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:17:23 PM

Hal Finney, I haven't heard about you before, since I've not been much into the crypto-world before bitcoin. But I read up on you online, and surely the work you've done is most impressive, and it's also impressive that despite the sickness you haven't given up. I am also happy to learn that you have your wife by your side that cares for you through these days.

Hal Finney supported by wife on his outside adventures.
Source: http://www.noozhawk.com/local_news/article/101710_hal_finney_als/

I enjoyed reading your story, and it's part of bitcoin history now. Actually when I finished reading your message, I had tear in my eyes.

It's great that you still get out and about in your wheel-chair.

You've contributed more than many other men in their lifetime, and when your time comes, I'm sure your bitcoins will be put to good use, and who knows what price they'll be at. Thanks for writing, and not just fading away.

With high respect,
Herodes
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:20:48 PM

You have singlehandedly elevated the level of discourse on these forums by several degrees... for that alone, you deserve our praise and thanks.

Here here, and hooray for that.

Hal. I am humbled.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1358

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 09:26:07 PM

Wow. As a physician, I am humbled by your adaptive capabilities. I think most of us, myself included, use much lamer excuses for not getting stuff done.

Thank you.

Hardfork aren't that hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
bitrick

Activity: 64

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:30:39 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share your story. I'm impressed and inspired by your attitude in the face of adversity. I've been programming for 30 years and I hope I can continue as long as I am able. I have wondered before to what extreme efforts I would take to continue programming under conditions such as yours. I'm glad you are able to continue your love for programming. It makes me realize how much I take for granted.

In tribute to your dedication and contribution to bitcoin, I have decided that I will refresh and improve my articles on Satoshi Client Operation (currently pinned in the technical forum). (Although it may not be until summer when I have some time off). If you can continue to contribute in your circumstances, then I have no excuse for not doing the same.
potato5491

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:35:27 PM

Wow, incredible story. Thanks for sharing.

Potato, Potato, Potato.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 2814

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:48:39 PM

It's truly inspirational how you've faced such immense challenges without giving up. And it's always exciting to see that you've posted something here -- your projects are always very interesting!

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
shibaji

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:49:46 PM

Thanks for sharing your story. Your contribution is immortal. Kudos.

BTC: 1G4FWK6U3qQb2ikgdcYZovLzyQ7xmWotBP  LTC: LUnQFuhQKNjhrsK4HSdcsn6Bf3wcT3tW2y  DVC: 1EKz74j7xNBYunJ77wQVD8DE843PwZaRFF
My reputation thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183806.0
Shibaji's Your Man In USA Service: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=191303.msg1980889#msg1980889
BTC Books

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:51:52 PM

Thank you.

For all you've done in your life, and for putting it into perspective.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:00:28 PM

The single most beautiful post ever made on this board, Hal.

You don't know me but I lurked the cypherpunk list way back when. You made more of an impact on my life, and that of many others, than you can probably comprehend. PGP changed everything and you helped. Bitcoin has changed everything and you helped. You even have a Bitcoin attack named after you.

Thanks for sharing what you know, Hal. You're showing us how to do it.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1162

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:02:03 PM

Wow. Bitcoin suddenly feels like what it was always supposed to be: the future.

more or less retired.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 756

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 10:06:31 PM

Hal, thanks for sharing this with us, very touching.

Satoshi was (is) a pure genius. May we live by Satoshi's legacy.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Zomdifros

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:28:31 PM

Thank you for sharing your story here with us and thank you for all your contributions to Bitcoin. I am sure that once Bitcoin has changed the world, your name will remain a legend forever linked to it's dawn.

meanig

Activity: 529

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:32:14 PM

Without lowering the reverence of this thread I'd just like to say that Hal's avatar always reminds me of Pierce Brosnan.

Thanks for all the work you've put into making Bitcoin what it is.
World

Activity: 746

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 10:52:47 PM

Thank you for this post and hard work,very informative reading.

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
bitjoint

Activity: 332

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:54:41 PM

Speechless.

Bitcoin is going to be something really positive and remarkable in the history of humanity. Wheter it stays the same or evolves, I think there's no doubt about that reached this point. Thanks for your contribution and for helping to shape a better future.

Regards from Europe
comboy

Activity: 247

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:55:52 PM

Hal, you are awesome.

I'm truly grateful for sharing this story.

Variance is a bitch!
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:57:32 PM

Thank you for sharing your story.  You have helped enable possibilities for the future of humanity that we can only begin to imagine.  Smiley

http://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | http://nxtportal.org - Nxt blockchain explorer
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:03:45 AM

Wow, Hal, thank you for that.  I hear about you all the time on Steve Gibson's podcast.  It's an honor to have you around here.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1535

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:06:48 AM

Very inspirational and interesting to hear your story Hal, thanks for sharing!

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:25:11 AM

I'm comfortable with my legacy.

Indeed, you've helped to make the world a freer place.  Thank you.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 2408

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:30:37 AM

Inspirational.

Thanks for fighting the good fight Hal.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 2296

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:37:42 AM

Hal,

In addition to the Bitcoin related efforts, I really want to thank you especially for your earlier work.  The cypherpunks related work of you and others (for lack of a better description) is, in my mind, one of the highest ranking achievements in the history of developments impacting social structures.  We'll not know for a while, if ever, what the full impact will be but I am confident that they have been and will continue to be a positive force shaping things as we evolve.

Realpra

Activity: 819

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:38:49 AM

Thank you for what you have done.

Thanks at least partially to you I believe mankind will be helped greatly in the coming years as corruption world wide is curbed by Bitcoin.

Bitcoin has advanced my own ideas and business perhaps a decade. I am much indebted.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
pera

­バカ

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 12:58:09 AM

I'm very touched about your post Hal, I didn't know you have ALS..
I recently discovered that I can even write code. It's very slow, probably 50 times slower than I was before. But I still love programming and it gives me goals. Currently I'm working on something Mike Hearn suggested, using the security features of modern processors, designed to support "Trusted Computing", to harden Bitcoin wallets. It's almost ready to release. I just have to do the documentation.
I am curious about what software you're currently using for eye tracking and text input, is your IDE adapted in some way for auto-completing and navigation?

Thank you and I hope you the best.

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
TheDerrickJ

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:06:01 AM

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing that touching story, Hal.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:18:40 AM

Hal,

Thank you for sharing! We Bitcoin enthusiasts are often captivated by those involved in the earliest days, and you appear to be right next to Satoshi! You will have a place in history like the first scientists sending messages over the Internet, or those first words spoken over a telephone from Alexander Graham Bell to Mr. Watson: "Mr. Watson — Come here — I want to see you."

You, sir, are Satoshi's Mr. Watson and I salute you! Thank you also for the work you continue to do.
oakpacific

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:28:33 AM

Very moving and inspirational story, Hal. You know what? I somehow envy you, many of us working in academia have the dream of seeing our pet projects go big and become something truly beneficial to the human race, you have such privileges.

Best of luck and may the force of cryptography and bitcoin be with you.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
toffoo

Activity: 402

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:51:59 AM

Hal, amazing story, thanks for posting this here.

Let's keep one thing in mind: Stephen Hawking was 21 when he was first diagnosed with ALS.  At the time doctors gave him a life expectancy of two years.

He's now 71, and apparently has accomplished quite a bit since that diagnosis.

Don't let it slow you down either.

lukestokes

Activity: 165

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 02:18:57 AM

Thank you, Hal. As a new member of the Bitcoin community, I'm standing on the shoulders of visionary pioneers like you. Your story is an inspiration, and I do think your legacy will be remembered many years from now as the history of this technology is preserved and celebrated.

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:32:56 AM

Thankyou for sharing your story Hal.

remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 934

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:40:16 AM

Thanks for sharing.
It's a touching story.
Blessings.

Would be great there was a torrent file of all referenced materials of the paper: "How to Build Time-Lock Encryption" by Tibor Jager. And having its magnet link published on bitcoin blockchain!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:42:09 AM

For those who haven't made the connection the "Finney Attack" commonly referenced on this forum is named after the OP who first theorized this double spend attack vector.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending#Finney_attack

Thank you for sharing Hal.  I have sometimes wondered what would have happened if nobody had responded to Satoshi's idea.  Would it have simply died on the vine and vanished into the pages of history?
xavier

Activity: 261

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:47:29 AM

Great post. I'm happy for you and that you were fortunate enough to be involved in the early days.

I'd keep quiet about the bitcoins that you own however and maybe remove any references to how or where they are stored. These forums are public, with the bitcoin price increasing daily it could be a wise move.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 02:53:48 AM

thank you for everything Hal!

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
thefiniteidea

Activity: 519

"In Us We Trust"

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:00:26 AM

When Satoshi announced Bitcoin on the cryptography mailing list, he got a skeptical reception at best. Cryptographers have seen too many grand schemes by clueless noobs. They tend to have a knee jerk reaction.
I was more positive. I've had the good fortune to know many brilliant people over the course of my life, so I recognize the signs.

Thank you immensely, Hal! Thank you for being there at the beginning with that intuition! And with that open-minded attitude! None of this would have happened without it!

You rock, man  Wink

Cryptoman

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:05:40 AM

The single most beautiful post ever made on this board, Hal.

You don't know me but I lurked the cypherpunk list way back when. You made more of an impact on my life, and that of many others, than you can probably comprehend. PGP changed everything and you helped. Bitcoin has changed everything and you helped. You even have a Bitcoin attack named after you.

Thanks for sharing what you know, Hal. You're showing us how to do it.

+1

Hal, I'm also one of your admirers from the old list.  Thanks for all your work on remailers (I always posted to the cypherpunks list through a remailer) and also for your early work on PGP and Bitcoin.  I too was diagnosed with a "fatal" condition...in 1996.  I was given 3 years to live, but as you can see, I'm still around.  I'm not done tormenting our overlords yet.  So anything's possible, Hal.  Your example of making the best of things and continuing to contribute to the things you love will inspire many.  Godspeed. 

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
conv3rsion

Activity: 307

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:18:24 AM

Hal I really appreciated reading your story. Thank you very much for sharing it with us.
AlexWaters

Activity: 72

Coin.co | Twitter:@watersNYC

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:06:27 AM

Your story is inspiring, thank you.

"The only wealth which you will keep forever is the wealth you have given away"

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1638

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:46:31 AM

I was more positive.

Fascinating how one's attitude can potentially make a difference of great historical significance. I, like many here, think bitcoin can be a wonderful benefit to humanity, and your early help was important if not critical.

As was your prior work. There aren't many who truly make a significant impact. Thanks for sharing your story now, and both your brainpower and good manner over your whole life. 

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Cryptoasset rankings and metrics for investors: http://onchainfx.com
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1495

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 05:51:04 AM

Thank you for all of your work and for sharing your story.

I hope medical science and technology improves so that it may cure your disease and keep you in the business of generating brilliance that serves all of humanity for a long time to come.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
thoughtfan

Activity: 602

thoughtfanwritesstuff.wordpress.com

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:12:34 AM

Everything I thought of writing in response whilst reading has already been said but I will add my thanks nevertheless.

Please disregard Litecoin and Zcash badges to the left. I have just gathered they are an April fool's joke!
Dusty

Activity: 725

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 07:45:38 AM

Hello Hal, and thanks for sharing your story.

Please keep up, I'm sure you will do other amazing things!

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
amincd

Activity: 772

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:06:13 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you try some experimental treatments for ALS.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 805

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:35:51 AM

wow breathtaking

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
grau

Activity: 836

bits of proof

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 08:56:16 AM

Your remarkable contribution to the foundation of our future economy should let you feel proud and safe to be remembered by all of us.

Thank you Hal.
n0rupp

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 09:04:16 AM

I'm speechless. Thank you! Smiley
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 09:42:05 AM

Hal,

I already knew your story (and I remember RPOW too), but it's wonderful that you're sharing it with a wider audience. I'm unspeakably happy that you're still able to enjoy programming and have been able to combine your interests in TC and Bitcoin together. And I'm blown away by the fact that even now in the advanced stages of ALS you are finding unique ways to contribute that I am 100% sure will be in wide usage, even decades from now.

Back in 2011 I wrote this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3441.msg48897#msg48897

If a miner is found to be repeatedly performing what for lack of a better name I'll call the Finney attack, other honest nodes blacklist that public key.

... and it seems the name has stuck. So whilst nobody knows what will become of Bitcoin, if it does continue to grow and take off, it's plausible people will be speaking the name of Hal Finney long after we're all dead. Even if the odds of Bitcoin succeeding to this degree are slim, are they really 100 million to one against? Smiley
VeeMiner

Activity: 751

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:00:10 AM

Thank you for sharing the story Hal,

you are an inspiration to everyone here. Also you are a very strong person to have dealt with your sickness in such a manner. Thank you for your contribution to make the world a better place!
Nubarius

Activity: 309

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:03:14 AM

Hal, thank you for sharing your story and for your great contributions to Bitcoin.

And it's so encouraging that you can keep up the great work in the face of adversity. All the best.
toorik

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:34:40 AM

Thank You for sharing. Travel with god!

all the best,

m.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1568

Bitcoin Foundation Member

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 11:17:13 AM

Forgive my ego, i just had to make it onto
http://blockexplorer.com/address/157i5gK7iN4bNAN39Ahuoiq6Tx5TaQukTE
and chipped you a bit-dime.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Yeah, well... I'm gonna go build my own blockchain, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the blockchain!
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 997

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:55:02 AM

Thanks for the post and for sharing a bit of bitcoin history. We are grateful for your contribution to PGP and bitcoin.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Jaagu

Activity: 62

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Hal, I remember your posts from 2010.
I was recently thinking of you.
And you answered.
When does satoshi answer?
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1694

nmc:id/phelix

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:22:37 PM

May be of interest to you:

Teen Creates 3D Printed, Brain-Powered Prosthetic Arm

http://blog.makezine.com/2013/02/08/teen-creates-3d-printed-brain-powered-prosthetic-arm/

blockchained.com ■ bitcointalk top posts
ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:36:22 PM

Absolutely touching.  Thank you very much for writing this.  I can only hope that if I am afflicted with a disease like the one described that I would respond in much the same way you did.  I'll be looking forward to your release you mention near the end!

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
Grafzep

Activity: 92

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:51:25 PM

Thank you, Hal Finney.

We are what we create. It seems one of your principles is that the power of the good nodes will overcome that of the bad. You must believe that people are essentially good. As you must be.
Gabit

Activity: 145

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:25:02 PM

Hal, thank you. You have helped to give us a change for the better future. That is a legacy that anyone should be proud of. No one could ask for more.

I wish you and your family well. You're inspiration for all of us.
-Gabit
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 2422

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:26:53 PM

Thanks for the interesting perspective Hal.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Free bitcoin in ICELAND - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1610684
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2058

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:27:02 PM

Thank you, Hal Finney, for such a touching and inspirational thread.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:13:34 PM

Have you consider submitting an application for one of those braingate trial?

Phoenix

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:49:50 PM

Hal Finney,

I am left awestruck and deeply inspired by your story and its significance for the larger chain of events of all things bitcoin. In fear of exaggerating, I will only say thank you from the bottom of my heart for your contribution.

Keep up the fight

Until computers are built from something other than matter and occupy something other than space
MarlboroMan

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:02:00 PM

Wow what an incredible guy. Hal, I hope you the best you will go down as one of the first to use Bitcoin, and even more impressive that you communicated with Satoshi.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Bitcoin Since 2010
ThePiachu

Activity: 442

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 08:10:34 PM

Thank you for the inspirational post.

Are your conversations with Satoshi public on this forum, or perhaps still stored somewhere privately? I know that they might be of interest to a lot of Bitcoin people - you were making history then.

1HWbVLhxj7bhewhyapMZpyhqWAeAhJd51E
My Bitcoin Calculator:
http://tpbitcalc.appspot.com/
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:12:25 PM

I just want to say thank you for sharing your story with us.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:25:32 PM

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. I'm sorry that I can't respond to each of you individually. But know that I am touched and encouraged by your words of support.

Hal Finney
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:29:19 PM

I quipped that we were truly in the future: we have a decenteralized cryptocurrency, and one of its developers exists in brain-in-a-jar state.

We do indeed live in the future, and the OP has been dealt a strange hand.

It gives me pause, to think that... Hal Finney may outlive every other person in this thread.

If things turn out well for Humanity, as well as we can reasonably hope — better than we fear;
It should not completely surprise me then, if — some few, or many decades hence,
OP were to visit the Internet Archive of that age, and in his curiosity revisit this page,
and perhaps also, after a moment of reflection, weep for those who wept for him,
— the people who were still alive.

...I should send Alcor an email, ask them about their stance toward Bitcoin,
despite, for now, being out of their reach for geographical reasons...

www.lesswrong.com/lw/1ab/dying_outside/15jj | www.alcor.org

Oh, and for the love of all that is good, every one of you; keep breathing.
bitcoinstarter

Activity: 485

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 09:31:48 PM

Just found this story just amazing stuff .Keep up the good work Hal!

🔥BitcoinStarter.com🔥- Crowdfunding with Bitcoin. Fund a project or start your own
andrewbadr

Activity: 171

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:08:23 PM

Here's a post of Hal's on the original Bitcoin announcement thread: http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography%40metzdowd.com/msg09975.html

Compare his responses to the others on the thread. Also see Hal's replies to the client-announcement thread. He's on a higher level than anyone else. When I first went through these, not knowing who he was, I was convinced that this guy was a "plant" of some kind — i.e., he had to have been at least familiar with Bitcoin before it was announced, to be able to make those kinds of analyses. Well, I did a little more research, and it turns out he's merely a genius.

Hal, I'm really looking forward to your project. Cheers, and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 11:01:34 PM

Here's a post of Hal's on the original Bitcoin announcement thread: http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography%40metzdowd.com/msg09975.html

Thx for the link ~andrewdadr.  I should have found this archive and considered it required study some time ago.  I'm supposed to be working, but scanned a few of the mails.  Enough to realize that I was quite wrong in my conjecture about how Satoshi might have viewed the likely growth trajectory of the Bitcoin solution and the resources required to operate it.  His thoughts seem to be very close to Mike Hearn's (which I continue to disagree with personally.)

caveden
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:34:53 AM

This is the most touching topic I've ever seen on these boards.

Congratulations for your strength and wisdom Mr Finney. You're one in a million.

18rZYyWcafwD86xvLrfuxWG5xEMMWUtVkL
Ditto

Activity: 330

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:57:53 AM

Thank you for this post, Hal, and for everything you have given the Bitcoin community. A truly inspiring story.
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:08:50 AM

thank you for your contribution

maybe you enjoy this kind of thoughts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cnj8MIQ0HY
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:34:38 PM

Hal,

Just to echo the other devs:  your contributions continue to be felt today.  Pieter (sipa) is working on integrating your ECDSA speed-ups into the main client.

Thanks so much.

Jeff Garzik, bitcoin core dev team and BitPay engineer; opinions are my own, not my employer.
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 1610

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:42:55 PM

Thank you Hal, you make the world a better place.  Smiley

We Can Be Happy!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:58:13 PM

This post is to show my respect to you.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:06:54 PM

Thank you, Hal. This is the most touching moment of all that I have encountered on this forum.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:07:44 PM

Ever since I read your Dying from Inside (or something titled like that) post two years ago,  I've been think of you from time to time.

Every life has its end, thanks for your inspiration and I am greatly humbled.
100%digital

Activity: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:48:10 PM

Hal, thank you for your story, and your many contributions to the crypto world. I wish you and your family the best of luck.
glitch003

Activity: 216

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:50:06 AM

Thank you for posting this.  I first found out who you were when reading about a "Finney" attack, and it really means a lot knowing the story behind the man.
joeykrug

Activity: 55

My COMM: CZ4QHRVDznkZzgosAp46cuHqcQ8HQHrPHX

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:35:26 AM

Wow.. It's great to know people like Hal still exist in the world. Amazing story, I wish you the best ^^

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. SW2h1RDTCwFBg5o8VbqjViyD8pQkh3hdqK
jonathan

Activity: 81

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:05:36 AM

Hi Hal,

Thanks for your story, it certainly seems to me a life lived fighting for right.

: "I can still read, listen to music, and watch TV and movies. I recently discovered that I can even write code."

Sounds like you are still a busy guy. Nice. :-)
HBBZ

Activity: 266

Lescoin the first crypto-currency secured by wood

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 06:02:23 AM

After reading all the replies, I knew a lot more ways to acknowlege the contribution of a person and experss gratitude in many ways. Best wishes from a Cypherpunk from mainland China, a country of kleptocracy.

[/quote]

_______________________________________________________________________________ ____________________

Code:
[center][url=https://www.lescoin.io]LESCOIN  //  Lescoin-the first crypto-currency secured by wood stock[/url]
[url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-o5okWW3V3tRlZUbWxhVGg4NjA/edit]Whitepaper[/url] ¦[url=https://www.facebook.com/DAO-Lescoin-270668693421364/] Facebook[/url] ¦ [url=https://twitter.com/DAO_Lescoin]Twitter[/url] ¦ [url=https://t.me/lescoin]Telegram[/url]
[url=https://www.lescoin.io/]-- - -- - ---- -----        DAO Lescoin  ? 18 September, 2017        ----- ---- - -- - --[/url][/center]
ChipGeek

Activity: 198

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:01:31 PM

Hal,

Thank you for all you have contributed to bitcoin and for sharing your story.  Very inspiring.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 02:20:21 PM

You are a hero, I wish you the best of luck. Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 02:30:02 PM

Though our bodies fail, our spirits thrive. Humanity needs minds like yours. May you always continue to dream. I'll be expecting to hear great ideas from Hal Finney for years to come.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
No_2

Activity: 804

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 04:41:56 PM

Hal, thank you for your sharing this inspiring story and being part of this technology.

MetaLair: a blockchain and cryptocurrency consultancy
Twitter: @MetaLair | Facebook | Google+
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 994

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 08:55:35 PM

This was truly wonderful to read. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it.

As fascinating as technology tends to be, especially within Bitcoin, the real story, the interesting narrative, is always with the people involved.

sloper

Activity: 27

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:41:03 AM

I admire and respect the work you put into to support such a crazy sounding idea. Thank you for being so brave and thanks for dropping by for that kind story.
BitPirate

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:07:12 AM

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write such a thoughtful post, and thank you for everything you have done for Bitcoin.

If the Bitcoin community continues to have involvement from people like you, the future can only be positive.

blogospheroid

Activity: 132

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 10:35:28 AM

Hi Hal,

RESPECT!

You're a pioneer of crypto with RPOW and then receiving the first bitcoin transaction, your name is forever etched in history. Great to hear your story. Thanks for believing in this when few others did.
I heard in the less wrong forum that you have arranged for your cryonic preservation. Hope your other high risk, high reward gamble also works out for the best. I hope to meet you in your next life.

Warmest Regards
darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:46:57 AM

I was on the cypherpunks list in 1992 when you were doing excellent work in setting up the remailer network.  That was such a fantastic time.

I'm incredibly impressed with your current activities. 

One of the slogans of the day was "Cypherpunks write code."  I'm glad that is still the case to this day.

Thank you for this excellent series of posts.  You are one of the true pioneers.
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:36:50 AM

Thanks a lot sir. It's amazing to think that you were there when it all began
BitCloud

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:27:50 PM

Hal, printed your Post for my kids to read.

you might have very well been the reason why bitcoin is still around.

will run extra miles for you.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 06:43:07 PM

Hal, I hope I'm half as strong as you if I ever come down with something like this.

Truly an inspiration.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Sergio_Demian_Lerner

Activity: 537

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 08:30:08 PM

I never browse this forum, and today, the first time I did, I'm very lucky I read your message that enlighten me and teaches me about life.
I admire your strength.

Thank you, and keep thinking and writing.
Sergio Demian Lerner.
wingding

Activity: 291

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:50:59 PM

Great story. IntrIguing. Thanks for sharing. Your attitude inspires.

............It's never late to buy BTC for $1.........
........Services-backed cryptocurrency of $1 000 000 000 000 market .........
...........PRE ICO            Sep.27 – Oct.04............
       ............ICO            Oct.10 – Nov.07............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:29:57 PM

Life, is a sexually transmitted, terminal disease.

I wish I can make mine as interesting as yours.
gradient vector

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 11:56:35 PM

Truly inspiring.

MashRinx

Activity: 390

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 12:50:54 AM

I love reading "I was there when" stories, and this one ranked up at the top of that list.  Hal, you are a true inspiration and your list of accomplishments is very impressive.  The very best of luck to you and your family and here's to you beating the odds.
sangaman

Activity: 342

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 12:51:47 AM

I'm grub hung, but I just wanted to say thanks for the story Hal and you're the man. I bet it wasn't as much luck as you say that you happened to be bitcoin's first user, but rather a result of your own ingenuity and eye for good ideas. I wish all the best to you.
cande

Activity: 108

https://bt.cx

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 08:21:24 AM

thank you Hal for a beautiful and intriguing sharing, Bitcoin is already becoming epic.

BTCX "more Private than Swiss banking"
https://bt.cx
paraipan
Legendary

Activity: 924

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 06:00:05 PM

very inspirational and you put things back into perspective.

i've enjoyed reading your posts from the early days and found them highly educational.  

thanks for your help in getting Bitcoin off the ground.

+1 thank you Hal

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:58:50 PM

I am humbled to even share this board with you, Hal.

So many times I've felt excused not to get stuff done because of personal issues or just tiredness. This put things in perspective. You are an inspiration.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
rng29a

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:43:53 PM

I was really moved by your LW post, suddenly the problems I had at that time appeared very insignificant.
I am happy for you that you're still able to do the things you love.

1rNg29A3zpbiCsfSRWXnPk8kdcZRXGtK1

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. -William Gibson
CosicMiner

Activity: 135

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 10:08:43 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Hal. I'm wishing you the best of luck.
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:30:07 AM

Great post , I really enjoyed reading about your background and your early experience(s) with bitcoin.  Thanks for sharing this story with us, it made my day.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Stunna
Legendary

Activity: 1694

Advisor @ Primedice.com, Stake.com

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 07:15:40 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. Nothing but respect for you. Must have been incredible being one of the first and only to work with satoshi.

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████                              
▄████▀            ████      ████                  ████
█████           ▄████▀     ████▌                 ▐████
█████           ▀▀▀▀      ▐████                  ████▌    ▄▄
 █████▄                  ▄█████████▀            ▐████   ▄███▀
   ▀█████▄▄        ▄▄███████████▀▀   ▄▄▄▄       ████  ▄███▀     ▄▄▄▄
      ▀███████▄    ▀████▀████▀     ▄████▀███   ▐███████▀▀    ▄███▀ ██▌
         ▀▀██████▄▄     ▐████    ▄████  ▐██▌   ███████     ▄███▀  ▄██▌
    ▄▄▄▄     ▀▀█████    ████    ▄███▀   ███   ▐███▌███    ▐████▄▄███▀
  █████▀▀      ▀████▌  ▐████    ████   ▄███   ████ ▐███   ████
 ████▀          ████▌  ▐████▄▄██████▄▄█████▄▄█████  ▀███  ▀████▄▄▄▄██           ▄████▄  ▄████▄  ██▄██▄██▄
████▌          █████    ▀████▀▀  ▀████▀  ▀██▀ ███▀   ▀███   ▀▀████▀▀           ██▀     ██▀  ▀██ ██  ██  ██
████▄       ▄▄████▀                                   ▀███▄▄      ▄▄██  ▄████▄ ██▄     ██▄  ▄██ ██  ██  ██
 ██████████████▀▀                                       ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ██  ██  ██
   ▀██████▀▀▀

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
The Bitcoin Casino
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█                         █
█       ██                █
█      █▄▄█               █
█     █▀  ▀█              █
█       ▄▄                █
█     ▄████▄              █
█   ▄████████▄            █
█   ▀████████▀            █
█     ▀████▀              █
█       ▀▀                █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
Provably fair
Free faucet

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
12 exclusive games
And many more...

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬

▄▄
               ▄▀▀
               ▀█
      █▀▄  ▄▄▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▄▀█
      █  ▀▀          ▀  █
      █▌        ██▌ █   █▌
      ▐█       ▐█████   ▐█ ▄▄ ▄▄▄
      █▌        ▀▀▀▀     █ █ ▀   █
      █       ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀     ▀    ▄▀
      █         ▀▀           ▄▀
     ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▄▀                     █
 ▄▀                       █
█   █▄█                   █
 ▀▀▀  █       ▄▄▄▄▄       █
      █       █   █       █
      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀   ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
aaronwinborn

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:55:00 PM

Hal, I just read your heartwarming post over at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155054.msg1643833#msg1643833, and due to restrictions on this forum, find myself unable to post a response on that thread. Thus, I am posting here on the newbie forum.

I hope, but do not expect, that you will eventually read this thread, if for no other than the inhuman effort required to create it.

I am familiar with your story, as I read it in the LessWrong forum a year ago or so. I was not familiar with your work on bitcoins, although in retrospect I could have taken a clue from your work in cryptography.

Hats off to you, sir, for you have helped through your continuing work with Open Source to make a better world.

As yourself, I am a member of the Stupid Club, of people diagnosed with ALS. As you do, I am relegated to communicating with the world with my eyes, in the form of a Tobii eye gaze tracker and Dasher. Also like yourself, I have and continue to contribute to Open Source Software, although it is in the form of Drupal, a content management system used to publish websites.

The proud father of two young children, I was surprised to learn just two years ago that my life expectancy had taken a plunge. Unlike many well-intentioned hopes in the thread you started, I understand the harsh prospects that you and I face, which is why I won't point to Stephen Hawking as inspiration; unless you're Stephen Hawking, there's little chance you'll survive the decade, and kudos to you if you do. I also won't urge you to rush out and try an experimental treatment; for you and I are not welcome to try them, as they don't want patients more than two years beyond diagnosis, for they don't want us throwing off their numbers with our likely deaths.

I wonder, though, about your thoughts about cryonics. I posted about my intention to seek cryonic preservation on a private ALS support group on Facebook, and was shocked by the angry responses I received, everything from I should trust in the eternal life promised by my Lord and savior, to I am stealing resources from the future and present generations by seeking immortality.

I have received a more welcome response from the cryonics and Open Source communities, but I did not expect the vitriol that I received from my fellow patients with a terminal illness. In retrospect, I guess that the one is self-selected, where the other is thrust onto us against our wills. It is perhaps, of course, wishful thinking, but I would have hoped for if not something along the lines of me too, where do I sign up, at least something a bit more supportive.

In any case, I do not expect to learn of your plans or even thoughts about cryonics, because I don't suspect you'll chance across this thread. But if you do, and you are planning for it, then I hope we'll meet on the other side. And if you, like me, have instead found yourself blindsided by the life insurance companies' unwillingness to chance on a terminally ill patient, then here is the link to the Society for Venturism http://www.venturist.info/, the organization responsible for the cryonic preservation of Kim Suozzi, and the charity which has taken up my similar cause.

Stay strong,

Aaron Winborn

http://www.aaronwinborn.com/

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:27:21 PM

It is strange to seek cryonic, and stranger still the opposition to cryonic.

dirksizzlebod

Activity: 40

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:02:03 PM

It is strange to seek cryonic, and stranger still the opposition to cryonic.

This is so inspirational. Even if bitcoin doesn't make it, this story will live on forever! Satoshi changed the world! Everyone is talking about money now!
Ghostdog

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:06:43 AM

I just read this thread coming from The Well Deserved Fortune of Satoshi Nakamoto, Bitcoin creator, Visionary and Genius.

For some reasons you remember me one of my best friends and as said by someone before me this is so inspirational. I will pray for you and I wish you the best.

Promise Yourself

To be so strong that nothing
can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness, and prosperity
to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel
that there is something in them
To look at the sunny side of everything
and make your optimism come true.

To think only the best, to work only for the best,
and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others
as you are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past
and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times
and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself
that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear,
and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world,
not in loud words but great deeds.
To live in faith that the whole world is on your side
so long as you are true to the best that is in you.

(Christian D. Larson, Your Forces and How to Use Them)

Let's build a better world.

They tried to crack the reality (http://www.woodmann.com/fravia/realicra.htm)
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Birdy

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:39:21 AM

Wow, wasn't expecting this when opening a random thread.
Respect for what you have done and how you are still able to handle the severe difficulties thrown in your path.

The foundation of Bitcoin has characters befitting of an entry in history books.
Kilogram

Activity: 10

Please let the Bitcoin be my American dream.

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:32:25 PM

Here, here...

Thank you for writing us Hal.  I wish you well and would love to see you continue to help steer the Bitcoin.

Ty

Would be nice to have more freedom.
Gliph

Activity: 66

Bitcoin for Everyone

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:28:52 PM

This is a wonderful and inspirational story to share. Thank you, Hal.

deeplink

Activity: 728

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:23:23 PM

Hal, your contributions have changed an incomprehensible amount of lives in the present and beyond that in the future.

You are an inspiration and I want to thank you for making it happen.
dunand

Activity: 642

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:21:05 PM

Thank you for sharing your story.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:23:39 AM

Hal, just seen your post. Very moving indeed.

Shows what we all shouldn't forget: life is more important than money.

99bitcoins

Activity: 66

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:51:06 AM

I just spent the last hour reading the entire thread from back in 2008:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg09975.html

This guy Hal seemed to have an instinct as to the potential of the idea and he was just drilling at Satoshi's brain constantly...what an amazing, insightful read that was. It's like watching an idea materialize right before your eyes Wink

I also found some insight into who Satoshi was. His English is impeccable. We seems westernized. He uses a lot of western idioms that hint to a middle-aged westerner. My guess is that Satoshi, even if of Japanese ancestry didn't grow up in Japan.

Exciting times Smiley
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1050

Director of the Bitcoin Education Project

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:09:02 AM

Thank you Hal for everything you have done for both this community and the world. No one knew what would become of the Bitcoin and we still don't know. It's a grand experiment. I hope that I can live up to the example you have set for all of us. And I hope that the Bitcoin outlives us all.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
paraipan
Legendary

Activity: 924

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:48:14 AM

I just spent the last hour reading the entire thread from back in 2008:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg09975.html

This guy Hal seemed to have an instinct as to the potential of the idea and he was just drilling at Satoshi's brain constantly...what an amazing, insightful read that was. It's like watching an idea materialize right before your eyes Wink

I also found some insight into who Satoshi was. His English is impeccable. We seems westernized. He uses a lot of western idioms that hint to a middle-aged westerner. My guess is that Satoshi, even if of Japanese ancestry didn't grow up in Japan.

Exciting times Smiley

Thanks for sharing, interesting read indeed. Seems like Satoshi worked for almost two years on the concept before releasing it to the world.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
LuisCar
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:57:21 PM

Esta es la gente a la que yo verdaderamente admiro. Ojalá hubiese muchas más personas como tú, Hal.

----
Sorry for using Google Translate:

This is the people that I truly admire. I wish there were many more people like you, Hal.

μBTC: 1LuisCarFgDQbyJoed1FPM6kYT3n5LPKKo | PGP Key LuisCar | BitMessage: BM-2cX9azhKnXxAmeHoVgTMa3hh18ebDy5Rq5
adamthefishman

Activity: 114

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:01:50 AM

Just come across your post through a link from another discussion.

Reading these type of stories makes me feel like i've stumbled across an undiscovered Egyptian Tomb, or something like that.

You have definitely have a legacy, and I hope your children and grandchildren value your input into this world changing technology.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 08:03:49 AM

Hal, I've been trying to preserve the history of Bitcoin (especially the early days). Is there anything you'd like us to archive for future bitcoiners?

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
errer

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:43:45 PM

Thank you!
h4r13q1n

Activity: 55

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:18:38 PM

Just a few men can hope to leave their mark here on earth, doing what they love whilst making the world a better place.
You've achieved more than most men, secured a place in the history books of the future, rightfully proud of your heritage.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:41:28 PM

Very nice post. Enjoyed the read.
xbitcoinx

Activity: 26

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:22:45 PM

this isn't another kind of rhetoric. Your story reminds me of a Faith > Health > Wealth

Dum spiro, spero

A Happiness is just like math formula

H = W/D
CasinoBit

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 10:37:04 AM

Thanks for writing to us Hal, must have been quite hard with the eyetracking device, might sound funny to you but I do envy you, I wish I was there in the early days of Bitcoin to help Satoshi fix bugs  Cheesy
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 259

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:20:19 PM

Thanks for sharing this, Hal. I'm no coder/cryptopunk, yet I still find this inspirational. There is something about human spirit that makes raw stories universally motivating -- thank you.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 532

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:15:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Hal. It's so inspirational and was fun reading about the early days of Bitcoin from someone who actually lived through it.
Herbalconfusion

Activity: 89

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:57:05 PM

You have great perspective. Dont let anything take it away.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:18:14 AM

I would be interested, and would find value, in knowing the identity of one person who Hal Finney felt most closely shared his own vision for the future of the internet as it relates to empowerment firstly, and to distributed crypto-currency solutions as a important but secondary consideration.

If provided I will factor it into my decisions about who to pay particular attention to in the future.

Jobe7

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:34:50 PM

Hal, Your assistance with Bitcoin and continued work will be remembered as legends.

Thank you.
supermoose

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:35:51 PM

Thanks for posting this, you're an inspiration and I thank you for all the work you've done. It's great to hear a story from someone who was there at the beginning. Don't worry about deciding not to leave your CPU on because the noise bothered you, I first heard about it at the start of 2010 and dismissed it entirely for three years!
Sorry to hear about the disease. You're right to be comfortable with your legacy, it's a great one.
pierrejo
Donator

Activity: 289

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 06:56:26 PM

Thank you Hal, for helping kickstart this thing.
Regarding your personal struggle, congratulation on pushing forward - it might slow down your coding a lot, but might as well be a hell of a growth experience.

EvilLizardApparel

Activity: 134

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:29:55 PM

Hal,

Please check your inbox.

Best of luck
BitCoiner2012

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:56:12 AM

A couple weeks debumped, but came across this while researching Satoshi. Really great post.

I appreciate you taking the time to post this, especially considering!

BTC Long.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1120

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:41:11 PM

I was reading again about the Bitcoin history but this time followed several links, some of those leading to this thread.

Nothing original to say, everything has already been said.
Just thanks for sharing your story and thanks for your contributions to crypto.
Keep enjoying life.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 08:26:23 PM

Very nice post.

You have reminded us that we cannot control what cards we are dealt, only how we will play them.

Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 04:26:18 AM

I mined block 70-something,
It was block 78. <3

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 12:34:05 AM

When Satoshi announced the first release of the software, I grabbed it right away. I think I was the first person besides Satoshi to run bitcoin. I mined block 70-something, and I was the recipient of the first bitcoin transaction, when Satoshi sent ten coins to me as a test. I carried on an email conversation with Satoshi over the next few days, mostly me reporting bugs and him fixing them.

is it possible that you post some of your emails with satoshi? would be very interesting for alot of people to read that.

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 01:20:31 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. Very inspirational.

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1177

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 01:15:09 PM

Thank you for the post, Hal. RPOW was probably one of the stepping stones for the invention of bitcoin. Will you tell us one day who Satoshi was ?

charleshoskinson
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 12:05:50 AM

Hal is satoshi. That's the open secret.

Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 12:23:18 AM

Thank you Hal.
Only thing I wish is that you create one last earthquake, making bitcoin even stronger.
But really, cheers. Expect a lot of free drinks in hell. Grin

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 12:49:26 AM

Great story.  Sending some prayers your way for continued health and strength.  Your attitude is so inspirational.  Life throws us unexpected things for sure.  The true test of a Man is how he handles the trials and it appears you are triumphant.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
hivewallet

Activity: 378

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 09:33:31 PM

Can't add much to what is already here, but indeed, teary-eyed... Thanks for being such an inspiration, Hal.

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:29:13 PM

Thank you Hal.  Good fortune to you and your family.
Ravocado

Activity: 28

To infinity and beyond!

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:42:48 PM

Great story to read, best wishes to you Hal and thanks for everything! So interesting to read about beginnings of btc.
bassclef

Activity: 910

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:33:01 PM

Great read indeed. He actually exchanged emails with Satoshi. Amazing.
darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:25:39 PM

Great read indeed. He actually exchanged emails with Satoshi. Amazing.

He did a lot more than that, including creating one of the first remailers and being instrumental in setting up the remailer network.
speedtrader

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:30:53 PM

Hal, thank you for your story, and your many contributions to the crypto world.
I wish you and your family the best of luck.  Tongue
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:08:45 AM

Best of luck Hal, thanks for sharing
gjeric

Activity: 291

Graphic Designer

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:26:16 PM

Hello Hal, thanks for your inspiring post.

Its really nice that you look on life from the bright side and see it satisfying even though ALS is one of the worst things that can happen to anyone.

I myself got a muscular dystrophy, and for 4 years I can't walk any more. I have a job, wife and a kid so like you, I also feel my life satisfying and joyful despite my illness. Not sure why I'm writing this, but I really wanted to share it!

Best wishes and be strong!

My Graphic Design Service / Portfolio: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330240.0
BitCoinDream
Legendary

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:59:47 PM

@Hal What to say ? Probably my best read in this board. U will be regarded as one of the pillars in future financial world. I think Sir Stephen Hawking is also paralyzed from a similar kind of a disease. Salute to U people.

@Gregor Your will power is inspiring as well...

Something I have always believed...

Signal can not stop the Will Power !!!

tclo

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:13:20 PM

Yes thank you for all your hard work on PGP, especially.  You have made the world a better place through your efforts.
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 10:14:53 AM

Thank you Hal,  the positive impact your work has done is truly amazing!

I love your positive attitude as well, it's truly inspiring.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
davidv

Activity: 30

All is Well (Abraham Hicks)

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 06:29:33 PM

WAUW story! "Bitcoin Hall of Fame!"

I Love Bitcoins :-) 1Q4vPd4U7gqGFw8BgzNpVCTmPd2a3jRW1q
knybe

Activity: 658

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 07:13:27 PM

legendary… thank you for sharing your story.
watuba

Activity: 211

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:40:55 PM

Sucha beautiful story... thanks for sharing!

noobyonekenobi

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:32:59 PM

You sir deserve a coin named after you. What a story! Thanks for sharing

PS4 Funds for my brother. Help me get it. Thanks! Smiley
BTC: 1MqhiNvDfSBRzFuXLkdvUfve4zavoFw2f8       UTC: UdGz8AS2tzTnf5qZ59uYbCRbVqEQJZrQC2
LTC: LTUMKwRAkqtvbyA5s8TeNHduvWk9t3DvkN    WDC: WjMWs8GUAyJXXtPJRXQXzJ9yjkda1GBbYs
proton

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:19:23 PM

Thank you Hal.
Bit4Biz

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 11:49:23 PM

Here's to you, Hal Finney.  You believed before anyone else did. Your attitude then, and now
is what makes being a part of Bitcoin such a fabulous experience.

Upward and onward,
Ad astra per aspera,

fordlincoln

Activity: 152

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:35:34 AM

Enjoyed reading this
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 966

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 08:45:30 AM

Thanks, Brother. Your contribution will go down in history. Wish you all the best.

insert coin here:
1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc

Open an exchange account at CampBX: options, lowest commissions, and best security
https://campbx.com/register.php?r=0Y7YxohTV0B
itf991

Activity: 224

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:34:33 PM

Thank you for the inspirational life story of yours. It means a lot to me. I wish you all the best Hal!!! Wink

Mondy

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:25:31 PM

I propose that 100 Satoshis, i.e. a micro-bitcoin, henceforth be known as one Finney in Hal's honor.

I support this proposition. 0.000001 = A Finney / Pronounced a 'finneh' (slang) eg. "Got a couple finneys from rain yesterday"

ALL IN FAVOR, QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:30:42 PM

Great story, Hal! Thanks for sharing.

BTW Phil Zimmermann's my personal hero. Smiley

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
techstorm2

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:41:34 PM

I propose that 100 Satoshis, i.e. a micro-bitcoin, henceforth be known as one Finney in Hal's honor.

I support this proposition. 0.000001 = A Finney / Pronounced a 'finneh' (slang) eg. "Got a couple finneys from rain yesterday"

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
FreddyFender

Activity: 215

Shamantastic!

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:09:44 PM

let's roll!

zachcope

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:18:48 PM

No other name will do.
I'm in.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:27:00 PM

No other name will do.
I'm in.

I vote yes, and not because Phinnaeus Gage is bias.
Dusty

Activity: 725

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 12:55:52 PM

Smiley

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
souspeed
Legendary

Activity: 1176

Thx Greg / Core developers! Bitcoin Core Rules!

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:02:50 PM

Quoted!  Wink

Free bitcoins, to reveal private key scratch here ==>>  5▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
km4700ruda

Activity: 89

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:51:58 PM

You have definitely have a legacy, and I hope your children and grandchildren value your input into this world changing technology.
anteater2009

Activity: 51

Life is like a ride

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:56:34 PM

I vote up!!!
A great thanks and respect for you Finney!!!
ilesef

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:59:58 PM

I admire this and i admire satoshi, hal  and all of early adopters

and but something is not said here we are all including me and you steel are early adopters potential is enormous people like as undestud that price of bitcoin is realy not mater. And often we are the fools in eyes on other people ,even people who support bitcoin.

How the hell u explain that world is not flat how to explain someone who refuse to think about this when logicly if the world is a sphere we all will be fall.

How to explain something like that object hewyer then ear cen fly when u throw stone is going back to the ground.

How to explain that picture is moving it is ablosutly not possible. How to explain woice travel across wire.

all of this thing now is very very clear and jet same thing hapend now .

How to explain that bitcoin price is not important that mey be 0.0000000001 $ and again everything is ok.(this is just for speculators)

How to explain that any regulation dont have a power against this and doesnt mater just cen slow progress.

How to explaing someone that trust cen be build in matematical formula  that is realy realy dificult to explain but who know crypography and programing u will see that is true not false .

men we are all the small part of that and we must continue to explain and educate people.

sorry for my bad english

p.s donate some bitcoins if for anybody my answer is any help to 1Hs92b2Ce9JcZrxBkjvpikCfdCiuZgN5vy
LeTanque

Activity: 85

Fortune favors the bold and brave

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:09:12 AM

Thank you Mr. Finney! You have helped change my life and give me purpose, without even knowing it.

You are an inspiration and I am so grateful that brilliant minds like yours find ways to do so much positive work for the world! Take care buddy Cheesy

"It is a mistake to suppose that any technological innovation has a one-sided effect. Every technology is both a burden and a blessing; not either-or, but this-and-that." -Neil Postman Technopoly
1FooDLuTYk782GQNrY7zY1obTc4ceUfj5t
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 05:16:33 AM

The idea of 1 microbitcoin being called 1 Finney goes way back, before this thread...it's an idea I still support!

Hardfork aren't that hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
E.exchanger

Activity: 560

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM ME FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:36:28 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing sir. It is highly educational and inspiring i enjoyed reading it from top to the bottom.
marcotheminer
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:46:21 PM

Youre an honour to the communtiy Hal! All the best
darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:21:02 PM

QFT
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1414

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 12:09:21 AM

Just stumbled across this thread after reading an old post by satoshi. As many have said before me, what an inspiration to a community and beyond.

To go from being in the best shape of your life to being physically restricted is incomprehensible to many, but the fact that you continue to embrace your passion for developing, despite the time taken is remarkable.

I hope that the value of Bitcoin since the time of your original writing provides some satisfaction, not least for your long-term involvement.

All the best.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1120

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:10:51 PM

Please stop polluting this thread about renaming 1µBTC
It's not a poll and means nothing

If you really want this to succeed (and I do too) then
1/ Create a dedicated thread (or poll) for 1µBTC = 1 finney and keep it alive and active
2/ Use the term in as many discussions as you can, in a natural way (no 'WAT?U DIDNT KNO?WTF BRO!!1!')

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Mythul

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:38:33 AM

One of the most emotional posts I've ever read on the internet. I wish you all the best in the world dear sir !

unfocus

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 04:04:29 PM

Mr Finney,

I know first hand how living with ALS looks like.
As you are in academics, I am sure you know about Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

I am very sad to hear that.

Live long and Prosper, in a transcendent way.

SCIFICOINS 4 LIFE Trading at SciiFI Coin Ex https://www.scifi-ex.com
intron

Activity: 428

- electronics design|embedded software|verilog -

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:38:53 PM

Thank you Hal.

bits can go here: 1intronttqV6J1PLLeQ3X5i4PxyhpE1fP
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:39:55 PM

Quoting! Looking forward to the day when Bitcoin value makes the use of the Finney common practice.

khalilhimura

Activity: 6

Internet is Data, Information is Power

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 06:54:37 PM

Please stop polluting this thread about renaming 1µBTC
It's not a poll and means nothing

If you really want this to succeed (and I do too) then
1/ Create a dedicated thread (or poll) for 1µBTC = 1 finney and keep it alive and active
2/ Use the term in as many discussions as you can, in a natural way (no 'WAT?U DIDNT KNO?WTF BRO!!1!')

Bump

Salute!
Khalil Himura
Sanningcreet25

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:45:31 AM

Beautiful Story. Thank you for sharing with us.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:23:31 AM

Beautiful Story. Thank you for sharing with us.

One of my favorite threads ever posted at this forum.

We Can Be Happy!
RTamas

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:19:04 PM

What an inspirational story, this is truly amazing and impressive.
The work you have done will be forever remembered in the history of mankind, and also the people behind it.

Thank you for all you've done in your life, you and your story has become a legend.
I wish you all the best!

Kind Regards
- Tamás
ns12123

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:21:08 PM

As always enjoyed reading your awesome posts.
millsdmb

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:55:48 PM

shoot me an email if I am able to lend a hand for the documentation.

Thanks for all you've done.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Andrew717

Activity: 60

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:37:45 AM

Quite a nice little inheritance left for the kiddies!  About $1.2 million at todays prices.

https://blockchain.info/address/157i5gK7iN4bNAN39Ahuoiq6Tx5TaQukTE
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 06:28:49 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/03/25/satoshi-nakamotos-neighbor-the-bitcoin-ghostwriter-who-wasnt/

But in following the clues that led me to Finney, I found something equally significant: a dying man who had been something like a far-more-brilliant Forrest Gump of cryptographic history: a witness to and participant in practically every important moment in the recent history of secret-keeping technologies. From the development of the first widely used strong encryption software known as PGP, to early anonymity systems, to the first Bitcoin transaction, Finney was there.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 06:52:40 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/03/25/satoshi-nakamotos-neighbor-the-bitcoin-ghostwriter-who-wasnt/

But in following the clues that led me to Finney, I found something equally significant: a dying man who had been something like a far-more-brilliant Forrest Gump of cryptographic history: a witness to and participant in practically every important moment in the recent history of secret-keeping technologies. From the development of the first widely used strong encryption software known as PGP, to early anonymity systems, to the first Bitcoin transaction, Finney was there.

It pointed out that Hal Finney had lived for almost a decade in Temple City, the same 36,000 person town where Newsweek found Dorian Nakamoto. Finney’s address was only a few blocks away from the Nakamoto’s family home.

This was an uncanny link: Finney is known to be the second-ever user of Bitcoin after Satoshi Nakamoto himself. He had been one of the first supporters of the idea when Nakamoto floated it on a cryptography mail list, and even received the first Bitcoin test transaction from Nakamoto in early 2009, as Finney himself wrote in a post to the Bitcointalk forum.

The article is also suggesting Dorian really is Bitcoin Satoshi:
Nakamoto had even seemed to give Newsweek a tacit confirmation of its theory when he told the magazine’s reporter that he was “no longer involved in that,” a quote confirmed in essence by local police who witnessed the interaction.

...but later they mention Dorian's writing doesn't match.

We Can Be Happy!
CryptoPanda

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 10:41:42 AM

Mr. Finney, I just read the forbes article about you. It literally made me cry! You are an amazing person and this messed up world needs more idealistic people like you.
I'm truly inspired by your personality and work! You have my deepest respect for ever!
This world is a better place because of you and your contributions!

sbfree

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:30:09 PM

Mr. Finney, I just read the forbes article about you. It literally made me cry! You are an amazing person and this messed up world needs more idealistic people like you.
I'm truly inspired by your personality and work! You have my deepest respect for ever!
This world is a better place because of you and your contributions!
maybe this can help him and his family alittle.

http://redd.it/21eajg

hopefully it does reach him!
BitOnyx

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 01:41:07 PM

With resent NSA related events, new kind of Cypherpunks might get popular again.

Thanks for sharing with us.

pitchbend

Activity: 240

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:43:14 PM

Your story and your contribution to cryptography in general and bitcoin in particular is really humbling and inspiring.

I'm really glad that despite your condition now, you keep moving forward, you've got to experience such an interesting times/interact with such an intereseting people, and the fact that your impressive legacy will live on.

Thanks Hal.
capa

Activity: 139

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:32:19 PM

Hi Hal,
You are an inspiration to us all. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Soomple_Pompler

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 03:39:41 AM

The best thing I took away from your tale was how you made mining and bitcoin a family activity.  When I first started with bitcoin I let it consume me, and I began neglect other things around me, including my family.  I was going through a pretty dark period and I lost sight of the important things in life.  I plan to now use bitcoin to teach my wife about internet security and identity protection, and my son about cryptology, philosophy, and technology as he gets older.  Thank you for this inspiration, I almost gave up on this activity because of what I went through.  Now I have a reason to enjoy it and make a stronger bond with my family.

Besides, my wife has always been better at managing money than myself!   Grin

Dave
googlemaster1

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 02:57:10 AM

Lookin' Good Hal Tongue http://newsbtc.com/2014/03/31/forbes-andy-greenberg-starts-bitcoin-fundraiser-hal-finney/

Wish we could have you back on the forums.  Be well.

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:02:55 AM

Lookin' Good Hal Tongue http://newsbtc.com/2014/03/31/forbes-andy-greenberg-starts-bitcoin-fundraiser-hal-finney/

Wish we could have you back on the forums.  Be well.

Medical expenses must be huge for him.
I'm so glad to hear there is a fundraiser.

We Can Be Happy!
CoinRocka

Activity: 251

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:10:34 AM

Inspiring stuff.  Best wishes Hal !!
casinocoin

Activity: 763

CasinoCoin

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 06:48:38 PM

Wish we could have you back on the forums.  Be well.

Medical expenses must be huge for him.
I'm so glad to hear there is a fundraiser.
Especially because hes residing in the US still,

from the als website

"ALS can strike anyone at anytime, regardless of age, gender, or ethnic origin. It does not affect the senses, and only rarely does it affect the mind. The equipment costs for each patient average $137,000, while nursing and home care costs can be up to 10 times this amount."

We need andreas on this campaign as well.

If you still are able to pop by,
want to say thanks Hal.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 09:33:00 AM

Your story let me have more confidence in bitcoin. Thank you for your sharing.

I also want to share you something. The whole database of bitcoin private key: http://key.btc123.com/1

You can find all of the bitcoin private key in the database.

Why r u spamming this link everywhere ? Those are already at directory.io and are repetitive after a certain page. Not even 10^(-100)% of total bitcoin addresses available.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 01:12:17 PM

Hal, I'm curious how come a real tech genius like you didn't launch a coin, just out of sheer intellectual curiosity, to see how you could twist the code for perhaps a better final outcome?

You had plenty of time and it wouldn't have taken too much effort; given a good design wouldn't need constant maintenance or updating and you could actually make that part of the proof, to show that you created a coin which could stand up to any test, even the test of time.

I hope you get to read this post and respond to it.

Good luck to you and God bless you and your family!

Regards,

Vlad

The Original Bitcoin Clone:  www.IXcoin.net
pozmu

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 11:57:59 PM

Vlad, plenty of time?
He had to retire in 2011 because of ALS.
This was before the whole altcoin fever, he was focused on Bitcoin.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:42:53 AM

Vlad, plenty of time?
He had to retire in 2011 because of ALS.
This was before the whole altcoin fever, he was focused on Bitcoin.

It literally takes an hour to clone and launch an alt coin.

Given he would have launched a great coin means he would have done it in maybe 30 days.

From 2009 to 2011, that leaves plenty of time.

Last year when I first heard about Bitcoin there was no alt coin fever (there were maybe 12 alts) and I was actually first to say alts were gonna blow up, and we'd have 3,000+ by 2015. A notion which was crazy and which got me called insane.

I think the really smart people saw early one on big this was gonna get, so just like I launched a coin right away, even though I can't program a single line of code, I'm shocked these guys didn't launch one coin if nothing else, just to test out new ideas and theories, since Bitcoin is not perfect.

I'm saddened that we may never know what a Hal Finny coin may have looked like.  The coin devs we have today, for the most part, are blind, short sighted and lack any vision and on top of it, most are scammers too.

To lose a real genius with true talent and skill without him having launched his own coin, literally hurts me.

By next year we'll at least get corporate, hedge fund and celebrity devs coming in. Sad in a way but million dollar coins will at least be done right and will [overnight] kill all these ShitCoins and forever do away with their scammer devs.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:07:17 PM

Actually Hal did launch his own coin, which predated Bitcoin and was based on totally different technology:

http://cryptome.org/rpow.htm
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 01:48:37 AM

Actually Hal did launch his own coin, which predated Bitcoin and was based on totally different technology:

http://cryptome.org/rpow.htm

There is no possible way this guy is Satoshi!

I did some research on Hal and I think he is a real genius which is why I'm bummed he never launched a coin. (Or did he?)

That said, there is a near ZERO probability Hal is Satoshi.

If you read up on the Bitcoin Protocol and all that was required to conceive it, build it, and TEST IT to get it working as well as it has, given so many unknown and unpredictable variables, it becomes clear that Bitcoin was not built and developed by one guy, and it would have taken at least 5+ years, unless you had a whole team and the best gear money could buy.

Whomever Satoshi is, it is not just one guy.  It is at least 3 different people (and they most likely all had nail-gun "accidents" by now).  Haha!

And do you guys think the message hidden inside the name Satoshi Nakamoto was an accident?

Do we have any statisticians here?

What are the odds Satoshi Nakamoto has, by sheer accident, the hidden message of:  Clearly Thinking inside the Foundation?

And, if that is a hidden message, what could that possibly mean?

Off the top of my head, I put the odds at tens of millions to 1.  

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 02:58:10 AM

Being part of the project could be possible.  It would make sense.

His getting a terminal disease after the project was done makes sense too, but I don't know Hal's family history.  There could be a good explanation to his sudden diagnosis, like a family history with the same disease.

There's reason to be paranoid.  Odd deaths and suicides surrounding cryptos.

The NameCoin Dev recently died and not a single word in the media.

Why is that weird?

He was only 27.  And he died of a heart attack.

If you're a dev in the crypto space you should be careful what you say and don't own any nail-guns.

Speaking of which:  I say way too much.  Like right now for instance.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 04:08:50 AM

Being part of the project could be possible.  It would make sense.

His getting a terminal disease after the project was done makes sense too, but I don't know Hal's family history.  There could be a good explanation to his sudden diagnosis, like a family history with the same disease.

There's reason to be paranoid.  Odd deaths and suicides surrounding cryptos.

The NameCoin Dev recently died and not a single word in the media.

Why is that weird?

He was only 27.  And he died of a heart attack.

If you're a dev in the crypto space you should be careful what you say and don't own any nail-guns.

Speaking of which:  I say way too much.  Like right now for instance.

Here's another: http://www.jsonline.com/business/autumn-radtkes-death-in-singapore-ruled-unnatural-raises-questions-b99222948z1-250011411.html
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:24:46 AM

Here's some that appear to have much more cause and motive than the META CEO.

And there are more, multiple world class cryptographers who disappeared or died mysteriously at young ages right before Bitcoin was launched.  Definitely good fodder for any good conspiracy theorist.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-04/bitcoin-claims-its-first-real-victim

http://www.cso.com.au/article/392338/young_cryptographer_ends_own_life/

http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2013/11/a-spy-dead-in-a-bag-police-see-an-accident.html

http://www.dailycal.org/2014/04/01/uc-berkeley-computer-science-graduate-student-dies-26/

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:44:59 AM

Here's some that appear to have much more cause and motive than the META CEO.

And there are more, multiple world class cryptographers who disappeared or died mysteriously at young ages right before Bitcoin was launched.  Definitely good fodder for any good conspiracy theorist.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-04/bitcoin-claims-its-first-real-victim

http://www.cso.com.au/article/392338/young_cryptographer_ends_own_life/

http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2013/11/a-spy-dead-in-a-bag-police-see-an-accident.html

http://www.dailycal.org/2014/04/01/uc-berkeley-computer-science-graduate-student-dies-26/

REST IN PEACE PARAIPAN: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583286.0 as well.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 05:54:02 AM

I can't find much on paraipan.

What would a potential motive be to snuff him out?

Cause people do die all the time and there's millions of people in this community now.

If he was working on something like say a coin which would truly be anonymous or anything like that then the odds of foul play would sky rocket.

ple

Activity: 213

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:06:04 AM

I can't find much on paraipan.

Leukemia?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583286.msg6387352#msg6387352
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:30:11 AM

I found that.

I can't find a potential motive.

If you look at some of the other guys they were true geniuses and involved in code cracking cryptography or anonymity technology.  Both crucial to Bitcoin's survival and crucial to keep Bitcoin centralized and NOT anonymous and NOT decentralized like Andreas and all the experts keep lying to the TV watching masses.

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1148

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 08:03:03 AM

Thank you for sharing!  I feel happy to know you are staying strong despite being in a pretty poor predicament.  Maybe somewhere your friend Satoshi reads this too and smiles. 

NEM      Faucet      Slack Invite      Easy API’s      Light Wallet      Amazing White Paper       Supernodes     Telegram Invite     Mijin 
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 02:46:40 AM

Thank you for story! You are an incredibly strong person. I admire  the your spirit's strength.

PS. You used a paper wallet to store BTC in your safe deposit box or other wallet?

Total newbie asking Hal where and how exactly he stored his Bitcoins.

Hahahaaa.

Crypto Scammers know no bounds.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:02:50 AM

Thank you for story! You are an incredibly strong person. I admire  the your spirit's strength.

PS. You used a paper wallet to store BTC in your safe deposit box or other wallet?

Hahahaaa.

I am guessing he thought the thread was started today since replies bump the post to the top.

Nah, he deleted his post after I confronted him.

He's a scammer for sure looking to rob helpless people.

I really really dislike scammers.  Like the ZET devs whom are now clearly known to have lied and scammed people for some 2 months.   I tried to warn everyone but nobody believed me. 

It's really sad cause lots of inexperienced people come in and they believe these scammers and they get taken for everything they got and then Cryptos get a bad rap on top of it.

We need some oversight, some enforcement of the rule of law in CryptoLand.

But until then I need to launch CoinTruth .com to educate people and make a list of all the known scammers out there.  A website you can trust and which may end up saving you a lot of money by redlining scammers and ScamCoins.

bambino

Activity: 62

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 05:18:57 PM

How many btc do you lost in the crash of 2011?  Why do you continue to use Bitcoin after that?

PS I like your optimism and fortitude!
Newmine

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:02:11 PM

Hahahaaa.

I am guessing he thought the thread was started today since replies bump the post to the top.

Nah, he deleted his post after I confronted him.

He's a scammer for sure looking to rob helpless people.

I really really dislike scammers.  Like the ZET devs whom are now clearly known to have lied and scammed people for some 2 months.   I tried to warn everyone but nobody believed me. 

It's really sad cause lots of inexperienced people come in and they believe these scammers and they get taken for everything they got and then Cryptos get a bad rap on top of it.

We need some oversight, some enforcement of the rule of law in CryptoLand.

But until then I need to launch CoinTruth .com to educate people and make a list of all the known scammers out there.  A website you can trust and which may end up saving you a lot of money by redlining scammers and ScamCoins.

That's a good idea! If you get it up and running, I'd be the first to donate something.

Make sure you add user FreeTrade for his 2 Memorycoin scams.

You should, or someone should have it tiered by known scammers, huge premine, suspected scams, up front donation/investment requests etc.....

You could have a site that is really informative and widely traveled!
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

iXcoin - 'The Twin'

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:17:27 PM

I am leaning toward Hal being Satoshi. The onset of ALS and Satoshi leaving at the same time is a pretty big coincidence. Then throw in Hal's proof of work and coming and going and coming back corresponding to Satoshi's presence in the opposite way. I think it's a safe bet, Hal has something to do with Satoshi's identity.

The guy is dying, has maybe months to live and doesn't have enough money for treatment.

If he is Satoshi do you think he's waiting for a resurrection to use those 800,000 Bitcoins in his wallet or to get his claim to fame?

Or do you think he's afraid the Feds will track him to his grave and kill him a second time?

Let's get real.

At most, Hal helped create BTC, but I would say even that is a stretch, albeit, a possibility.

centralpark

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 02:26:45 AM

good story  Smiley

u give me spirit after read your post.
NoDreamsWatching

Activity: 58

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 04:45:39 AM

ALS is such a horrible disease which I hope we start to get a handle on in the future. He is an inspiration. I have had the honor of caring for several people affected by this disease and I will say he is not the exception, but the rule.

He served to harden the framework of bitcoin in the very early days and we all owe him a debt of gratitude to making our lives (even those who don't use bitcoin) just a little more secure.
SunSeeder

Activity: 64

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 05:10:39 AM

ALS is such a horrible disease which I hope we start to get a handle on in the future. He is an inspiration. I have had the honor of caring for several people affected by this disease and I will say he is not the exception, but the rule.

He served to harden the framework of bitcoin in the very early days and we all owe him a debt of gratitude to making our lives (even those who don't use bitcoin) just a little more secure.

ALS is a terrible terrible disease and its so sad that so little progress has been made even though it has been 80 years since Lou Gehrig's raised awareness. Its also sad that research budgets for fighting the disease are relatively small.

One organization working hard to fight ALS is ALSTDI (http://www.als.net/) . For anyone reading this, please consider them when you are deciding on your charitable giving.
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 783

GCVMMWH

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 02:42:20 PM

The guy is dying, has maybe months to live and doesn't have enough money for treatment.

You know this how?  Hawking has lived with ALS for almost 50 years!
EFFV

Activity: 279

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 03:05:46 PM

Great Story, Thanks so much Smiley

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 03:23:58 PM

ALS is a terrible terrible disease and its so sad that so little progress has been made even though it has been 80 years since Lou Gehrig's raised awareness. Its also sad that research budgets for fighting the disease are relatively small.

One organization working hard to fight ALS is ALSTDI (http://www.als.net/) . For anyone reading this, please consider them when you are deciding on your charitable giving.

weed also works  Shocked

i am here.
knightcoin

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:25:22 PM

The Great Hal Finney,

Firstly thanks for your Atari games, I from 70's so you made my childhood very happy ...

Can I ask a personal question about your ALS ? ... how is your eye movement  ? I'm not a neuroscientist just wondering how fast you can track Floaters ..

please fell free to delete my post whenever you wish ...

--
All the best

a big fan.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Exergy

Activity: 63

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 10:10:02 PM

I just discovered this post and so I appreciate how late I am commenting.

However, what a diamond in the rough this post is, and what an inspiration Hal is.

Thank you for all that you have done for all of us. If some day I can look back on my life and confidently believe that I have made one tenth of the contributions you have, I will die a happy man.

I hope life is still good for you a year or so after you originally created this thread.

cuddaloreappu

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:26:23 PM

anyway I am crying...after reading his year old post...
health is wealth...it has to be experienced to know the meaning of this proverb..

if there is god I wish he cures this man of his disease..
Tenarlty

Activity: 45

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:40:48 PM

Truly inspirational on several levels.
EtherCoin

Activity: 310

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:43:30 AM

Me also, just discovered this old post and will be added to the already hundreds of people in here feeling inspired by you.

Hope you still doing good, despite the illness.

You sir, are a truly inspiration.

Eth.

deephouse

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 02:08:26 AM

What a great post. Just uncovered this.

EtherCoin

Activity: 310

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 09:11:28 AM

I am wondering what is Hal's status atm, how is he doing, how is the illness progress...

Any word?

Eth.
cryptopaths

Activity: 616

Crypto Knight

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:01:41 AM

I am wondering what is Hal's status atm, how is he doing, how is the illness progress...

Any word?

Eth.

I'm wondering the same thing.
bigasic

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 02:54:17 AM

What a sad but inspirational story.
dlzc

Activity: 151

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 03:57:48 AM

Thanks for your story. Bitcoin should have future, brcausr you've faced such immense challenges but didn't give up, how could us healthy people? I just think of what we done recently, hope the Guinness record will succeed, if so Bitcoin will be recognized by the universe. Support Bitcoin, support Bitcoin apply for Guinness Record. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681763.0

Dear Finney, you are the best. What you did for Bitcoin is incredible.  Smiley Smiley
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1554

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile