Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:20:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will my f*cking Silver be worth something?  (Read 4752 times)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 03:17:21 PM

I think it's important to remember that holding PM for the event of a catastrophe is a precaution, not an investment. If something happens to make PMs tokens of trade, other parts of your life and investments are going to be in pretty bad shape. (I know there are those that are going "all in" for a catastrophe but I regard that as an affliction rather than a plan and in the case that such a situation comes to be, there's a fairly good chance most of us will be dead)

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 11:55:31 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 02:05:17 AM by johnniewalker

I don't recall a day this year (not saying there hasn't been one that I didn't notice) where silver was over $30/oz. There is supposedly a worldwide shortage of silver...who woulda thunk it looking at market prices. I love my cool designed rounds and bars, but when will silver really rise? At least consistently past the $30 threshold? It is pretty disturbing to think that we're just about at the point where 1BTC=2 oz Silver!

You made a mistake fragmenting your wealth into illiquid, useless tokens. They will never be worth anything. Expecting silver rounds to make you rich is no different from daydreaming about how your extensive collection of "collectible" plastic dolls or vintage bricks will make you rich.

Precious metals and silver especially have massive handling costs associated with them, which makes the entire thing a novelty/consumer affair, not an investment. As a general rule of thumb, if you're "investing" in silver and your unit is not the metric ton, or if you're "investing" in gold and your unit is not the kilogram you're never going to show a net profit.

Forget about the entire thing, mark it down as yet another one of those cases where you (the naive, clueless, stupid-but-unaware) consumer got fooled by unethical salesmanship into parting with your cash for no benefit whatsoever. Try and learn from it, maybe.

Sorry to awake a sleeping giant here, but I just discovered and read through this. MPOE-PR,  to put it lightly, you are 100% wrong. You lost me with your first post. And I imagine you lost everyone when you started asking how we know our silver is real, and FOR SURE when you mentioned the apocalypse. I really can't tell if its units of measurements you think are important or you're just using them to express volume?lol. If its a matter of units of measurement, if you have a pound of silver, I'll take it. You couldn't possibly want it since its not in a metric unit. No one would-it's worthless : / If you're talking about volume...you are mostly wrong. Although no shit sherlock to the greater volume, greater profit aspect of your statement. Here is a scenario...I buy one POUND of silver in January of 2003 at $5/oz. Then, in late April of 2011 I decide to sell it at $47/oz (spot prices source: http://www.kitco.com/charts/historicalsilver.html). In 2003 I spent about $80 on my POUND of silver. In 2011 I sold that POUND for more than $685. So, off just one POUND I made $605.401. Sounds like a pretty good net profit to me!

Now, of course this is assuming that I bought silver at its spot price (although April of 2003 was not the lowest $ point of silver in the last decade). That rarely-never happens. But you call 1oz "tokens" a waste of money? I frequent several coin shops (nope, I don't pay for shipping, and yep, I know the silver I'm getting is silver)-$2 above spot is the highest premium for a generic round/bar at any of those shops. Talk about massive handling costs!

And I, the OP wasn't "fooled by unethical marketing". It must have been the historic success of precious metals as an investment that fooled me. Also, I don't have "a couple bars or rounds". I own about 200 oz of silver, and maybe five of of gold. And guess what's crazy??? I bought that gold at one price, and then when the price went up, sold some of it to the same place I bought it...and made a [net] profit! And no, I wasn't dealing in kilograms or metric tons. Unbelievable!

You have to be the worst "PR" rep ever lol.
/dev/null

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 12:02:17 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 02:06:10 AM by /dev/null

How much silver you have?

You can make silver dildo's and sell them to for bitcoins or hard cash.

Roll Eyes Grin

My ass may be big, but it's not this magical place I pull figures out.

Roll Eyes

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:23:00 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 01:41:18 AM by johnniewalker

How much silver you have?

You can make silver dildo's and sell them to for bitcoins or hard cash.

Roll Eyes Grin

I could but it'd have to be an alloy. Silver is a soft metal. I'd make one for MPOE-PR for free. And just because I'd like to give a valuable dildo, I'll melt my silver down (I wonder if MPOE-PR knew you could do that?)and make sure it's one even kilogram. That big enough you think? All of that stupid babble, has to be one big ass.
/dev/null

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:50:12 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 02:04:15 AM by /dev/null

I could but it'd have to be an alloy. Silver is a soft metal. I'd make one for MPOE-PR for free. And just because I'd like to give a valuable dildo, I'll melt my silver down (I wonder if MPOE-PR knew you could do that?)and make sure it's one even kilogram. That big enough you think?

If MPOE-PR doesn't likes it i'll take it off from your hands and melt it again to get some nice jewelery and a silver rose to propose MPOE-PR.  Grin

Roll Eyes

Edit: I just proposed her.

https://i.imgur.com/bh70yq3.png
https://i.imgur.com/CJXWoBJ.png

I hope she says yes. I wouldn't mind accept donations from all members for our marriage and i told her that jhonnywalker is going to finance our marriage.

Grin

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:09:40 AM

I could but it'd have to be an alloy. Silver is a soft metal. I'd make one for MPOE-PR for free. And just because I'd like to give a valuable dildo, I'll melt my silver down (I wonder if MPOE-PR knew you could do that?)and make sure it's one even kilogram. That big enough you think?

If MPOE-PR doesn't likes it i'll take it off from your hands and melt it again to get some nice jewelery and a silver rose to propose MPOE-PR.  Grin

Roll Eyes

I hope she says yes. I wouldn't mind accept donations from all members for our marriage and i told her that jhonnywalker is going to finance our marriage.

Grin

Shoot man, I'm sorry. I would love to be able to finance it but I don't think I can afford it. I only have half a metric ton of silver : /
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 02:29:29 AM

Roll Eyes

Grin

/dev/null: I love you
MPOE-PR: Prove it, * big long detailed explanation as to exactly how she expects you to prove it (which involves signing a msg with PGP), and the criteria you must meet to even be considered   *

Cheesy

/dev/null

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 07:50:15 PM

Shoot man, I'm sorry. I would love to be able to finance it but I don't think I can afford it. I only have half a metric ton of silver : /

Don't worry we'll sell your car.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 07:55:26 PM

Don't worry we'll sell your car.

can you point me to the thread where you confess your love for her?

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: