Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:37:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proven trustworthy, efficient BTC buy/sell service for late adopter adults  (Read 725 times)
Tonko (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:08:54 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2013, 11:33:51 PM by Tonko

I am sorry, but even after browsing a bunch of pages here, I can't seem to find any consensus even about the existence of such a service. Whatever I read elsewhere also indicates the state of confusion and uncertainty.

I am not seeking here a confrontation with some kiddo, who wants to explain me how things are great and how dare I even ask such a question. I've been through Apple versus Microsoft wars 15 years ago and don't seek repeating similar experiences here. I am not arguing something against BTC. I am merely appalled at the sate of available services.

Let me explain it on an example of my recent experience with Coinbase,which is apparently viewed by many as the great, respectable service.

It takes a week to buy a few BTCs. Three days after I notice that money was withdrawn from my bank I still see my BTC availability status as pending. Finally I get status as confirmed and, indeed, the price I got was the one at the time that I purchased it, not the price as of today. All fine. Ok, so now that I see it is not a complete scam  I try to purchase more but now I have to catch the system when it is willing to sell it to me. There is random daily limit (whatever makes sense to them, I can't understand it) so you can't just purchase it when you want. Implicit recommendation is that you may as well wake up in the middle of the night and try then.

For some teenager this all may seem ok, it may be a great fun purchasing BTC in the middle of the night, but I am a normal guy who actually works for a living, who occasionally trades stocks or bonds on market for other normal, working guys like me and this is a completely shocking, unacceptable experience.

Are any people with similar background and experiences on this forum and what can you, please, recommend to me?

Specifically I am talking about US based services, not EU or Japan based.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
candoo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:44:00 PM

Well MTGOX (japan based) transfers all his U.S. Customers to coinlab. So you can deal with Coinlab(not coinbase) in the future. Coinlab is u.s. based

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:54:12 AM

For some teenager this all may seem ok, it may be a great fun purchasing BTC in the middle of the night, but I am a normal guy who actually works for a living, who occasionally trades stocks or bonds on market for other normal, working guys like me and this is a completely shocking, unacceptable experience.

Are any people with similar background and experiences on this forum and what can you, please, recommend to me?

Unfortunately the only recommendation that's actually going to solve your problem is "Leave the US". I am not making this lightly and it is not a joke: the reason you can't get Bitcoins like the civilized world can is that your government has decided you are some teenager. Each and every single US citizen. In that context, your hope that you're a normal guy is misplaced: you can't be. It's the law of the land over there.

If for whatever reason you can't or won't quit the kindergarten/prison/cattle ranch, you will have to come to terms with the cold reality that US regulation has in fact turned the entire US into a banking ghetto of underserved people (a customer of US banks you are not) and dysfunctional mechanisms. Consequently, you will have to stay up nights, you will have to come up with clever "crack in the wall" solutions to get actual BTC much like the "normal guys" who weren't teenagers by age but happened to live in the Soviet Union had to stay up nights and come up with weird plans in order to acquire toilet paper thirty years ago.

I understand your frustration, but it's entirely misdirected. Move to an actual country, you're not in one.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:02:28 AM

I can't believe it's so backwards in US to buy bitcoins.
Hint: the USA is the USSR with better marketing.
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 01:18:15 AM

Hi,

I am US resident, and I learned about bitcoins on Russian geek forum several weeks ago. Since technology looks amazingly interesting to me, I decided to try it out (get some, spend some, etc). It turned out that transferring, saving, spending bitcoins is a piece of cake. But buying them for $$ is pain in the ass. The best ways I found in US are coinbase (very slow, but cheap), and bitinstant (relatively fast, but I payed too much $$).  As far as I understand, this is a reality of today. Never got to cashing out btc for $$. Suspect, that this is even more pain in the ass than buying.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:19:28 AM

Missed this one earlier:

Let me explain it on an example of my recent experience with Coinbase,which is apparently viewed by many as the great, respectable service.

Not quite.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
eof

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:17:38 AM

Your best bet is mtgox, which is actually turning into coinlab in the next couple days.

Coinlab has limits probably because of their working capital and risk aversion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: