Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:49:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The latest Avalon announcement in China(Translated). Batch #3, price and more.  (Read 36501 times)
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:16:01 AM

what a pitty.... missed batch #2 because I was unable to get my money converted to BTC fast enough and now when I did read about batch #3 on monday I went on and bought BTC but only calculated with 1599$ like it was for batch #2 -.-

I completly understand the position of Avalon team, but the risk for the customers is a bit too high for me now. (But I'm looking for joint ventures if anyone is interested...)

A joint venture requires trust also.

I try to be respectful and informed.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
needbmw
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:16:57 AM

as a core developer, i look upon all Avalons as my son. i will send them to who believe us, not the faithless or buzzard.
Good point, Ngzhang. Thanks for making Bitcoin stronger.

NO PSAKING!
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:28:22 AM

Just expressing my perspective, that's all.
Well for whatever reason you came late to the party. The choices available today are different that what they were 6 to 9 months ago. Back then, there was no guaranteed ASIC vendor. Now Avalon has become one, but you have to pay a premium price for one of their units.

If you want cheap ASICs at the non-guaranteed price point you could still go with BFL, but you'd need to get to the back of line. I am still waiting for my June 2012 pre-order. For that matter, I still have not received my Batch 1 Avalon order paid for in late October, but I believe that it might be on its way.

Still, it is unfortunate that there is no mini-Avalon. Whether priced in BTC or USD, the equivalent of $6K per unit is a high barrier to entry into ASIC mining.
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:15:44 AM

Avalon ASIC just sold on Ebay for 15.000 USD - so much for auctioning them. I stick to GPU mining, you guys go ahead and destroy the BitCoin mining ecosystem with your greed. Low Watts is good for real ecosystem -Mother Nature- tho.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:42:25 AM

Avalon ASIC just sold on Ebay for 15.000 USD - so much for auctioning them. I stick to GPU mining, you guys go ahead and destroy the BitCoin mining ecosystem with your greed. Low Watts is good for real ecosystem -Mother Nature- tho.

The winning bid was USD 20, 600.  I'd say it's a reflection of the greed of miners more than anything else.  Whoever bought it didn't do so to secure the network.

Avalon probably didn't even make a profit on the sale of that Batch 1 unit.  The original purchaser cleaned up and the person they sold it to is hoping to clean up too.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:45:47 AM

The winning bid was USD 20, 600.  I'd say it's a reflection of the greed of miners more than anything else.  Whoever bought it didn't do so to secure the network.

Avalon probably didn't even make a profit on the sale of that Batch 1 unit.  The original purchaser cleaned up and the person they sold it to is hoping to clean up too.
Link? How can the seller be sure he will not be scammed by the paypal ecosystem?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
repentance

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:49:42 AM

Link? How can the seller be sure he will not be scammed by the paypal ecosystem?

Just noticed it's a Batch 2 order which has been sold.  Not sure what e-Bay's policy on that will be if there's a problem. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181105056846

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:51:38 AM

Just noticed it's a Batch 2 order which has been sold.  Not sure what e-Bay's policy on that will be if there's a problem. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181105056846

Now I'm tempted to put my Batch #2 on eBay.

I try to be respectful and informed.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:56:41 AM

Imagine what an in-hand unit from batch 1 might go for...

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
repentance

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:59:31 AM

Now I'm tempted to put my Batch #2 on eBay.

You could mine with it for a while and then sell it.  Until BFL delivers in any quantity and Batch 3 ships, Avalons are likely to fetch a good price in the secondary market.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:27:54 AM

I really wish the BTC to crash hard just after Avalon starts taking order. We shall see what happens to their BTC 88 - 115 payment plan. Greedy bastards.

How are they any more greedy than miners?  Based on this thread, miners themselves have no confidence in BTC and view it only as a means to earn USD.  

Bwahahaha, this the exact reason why I don't respect some of my potential customers, I don't even want money from these people. In afterthought, raising the price it must stopped a lot people were purchasing because how brainless the profit was, now there is some math and faith involved.

I assume that was the feeling.   Many are finding out what happens when you deal with a principled business person.   I was "really?" at first, but then after thinking about it, it didn't seem bad.   With a ROI of 6-12 months, you know they will keep the gear on the network for that time, keeps it just the much more secure.   Hope people are looking at other motives than just profits.

You are mentally retarded, you know this, right?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Jrock

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:29:29 AM

I bumped that ebay price to 17k with no intention to pay for it to see if anyone would top it.

I was surprised to come home and find myself outbid.

I doubt the guy will pay for it, happens all the time when stuff gets expensive.

Jrock

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:30:46 AM

Imagine what an in-hand unit from batch 1 might go for...

30k.

Then the guy will claim you sent him a rock and keeps your asic for free.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:32:55 AM

Never give up.
If you have $1,500 that is more or less equivalent to BTC 23.
If you can make a consortium with 3 additional people who have $1,500, your consortium can purchase a batch 3 machine.
Don't complain: plan for success.

Except what you're proposing is not planning for success, it's planning for being stupid. And poor.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
repentance

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:37:14 AM

I bumped that ebay price to 17k with no intention to pay for it to see if anyone would top it.

I doubt the guy will pay for it, happens all the time when stuff gets expensive.

It's also a first time seller so the auction could have been for shit and giggles anyway.

Jrock

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:41:06 AM

It's also a first time seller so the auction could have been for shit and giggles anyway.

Also a private listing which to me always signals that the actual seller is padding the price with another ebay account.

The thing I don't get is doesn't ebay buyer protection only cover you for 45 days after purchase?

What happens when they don't get the unit within 45 days, couldn't the seller walk away with the unit and keep the cash without any issues from ebay?

The whole idea just seems risky to me.

tosku

Activity: 367

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 06:47:03 AM

The price hike from Avalon makes absolute sense. They really have one goal: To sell their hardware for as much as is possible.

Skude.se/BTC - an easier way to request your daily free coins!
Jrock

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:50:54 AM

The price hike from Avalon makes absolute sense. They really have one goal: To sell their hardware for as much as is possible.

You wouldn't do the same in their position?

I mean even at 5-6k you'll still pay for the unit eventually as long as it doesn't break (I haven't really read about warranties on these things)

repentance

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:04:00 AM

You wouldn't do the same in their position?

I mean even at 5-6k you'll still pay for the unit eventually as long as it doesn't break (I haven't really read about warranties on these things)

At BTC, you'll pay for it in about a month.  That's their point - that it's unreasonable to expect units to be priced at a point where they'll pay for themselves in days.  They're leaving themselves plenty of room to adjust the price downwards as difficulty changes and more TH hit the network.  There's only going to be a short time when expecting a unit to pay for itself within a couple of months is reasonable.  As more ASICs hit the network, the break even point will blow out.  When it blows out to a point where sales drop off, vendors will likely drop their prices to keep it at an "acceptable" time-frame.

Jrock

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:26:26 AM

Pretty much. I may consider grabbing a batch 3 order. Only thing that's making me second guess it is I could get more from BFL for less, but who knows if they'll ever deliver or when...

As far as I'm concerned though even with a 6k investment it will pay itself off eventually even if it takes over a year cause of major price crashes or major difficulty rises, and when it's finally paid off I can enjoy a small fraction of a bitcoin every 24 hours  Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: