Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:27:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OMG! What has Satoshi created? He has opened Pandora's box  (Read 4430 times)
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:44:23 PM

I think the Pandora's box metaphor is accurate; you have opened this box, and you can never, EVER close it.  And it is perceived as evil by anyone with a huge stake in fiat--that is, nobody, except the men who designed and own all the fiat.  Now that's one hell of a card tower.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amitabh S (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1001

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:01:15 AM

In the beginning, I'm sure Satoshi was like... "hmm p2p currency.. this is DEFINITELY not goint to work.. but I've spent 10 years of my life on this cr*p... so let me just get it over with."

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 02:21:12 PM

In a certain Japanese cartoon series, in the near future 300 years from now, Earth gets almost all it's power from the Sun through a ring of solar panels a few kilometers up above in the sky, around the planet.

I can imagine this will start with a few electric companies that decide to send a few dozen satellites into space. Then a few hundred later on. All orbiting our planet, and transmitting microwave energy into collection antennas on the surface.

The real gold rush is not mining, but owning your own electric company, regardless of where you harvest the energy, from the sun, from the wind, from the heat of the earth, etc.

BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 02:55:10 PM

In a certain Japanese cartoon series, in the near future 300 years from now, Earth gets almost all it's power from the Sun through a ring of solar panels a few kilometers up above in the sky, around the planet.

I can imagine this will start with a few electric companies that decide to send a few dozen satellites into space. Then a few hundred later on. All orbiting our planet, and transmitting microwave energy into collection antennas on the surface.

That's a pretty common science fiction theme, but it's not going to happen.

Think about it:  if you were a sovereign nation, would you want some other nation (with whom you might have disagreements) putting a huge power beam transmitter into orbit that could have the capability of focusing its beam into a tolerably surgical death ray?

You almost certainly would care for that...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 03:02:37 PM

Think about it:  if you were a sovereign nation, would you want some other nation (with whom you might have disagreements) putting a huge power beam transmitter into orbit that could have the capability of focusing its beam into a tolerably surgical death ray?

Not so much that.  More so, there would be too much threat for overabundance of energy, and therefor energy would be either extremely cheap or completely free.  Free energy cannot be profited from, else Tesla might be the main fellow in most history books.  Right now, we have every living being (at least in the first world) thriving from electricity, and every one of them has to pay for that energy.  That's a great way to generate revenue and jobs etc., but the alternatives would completely remove these companies from existence.  It's like gasoline; why is gasoline still being used after all this time?  Have we really not found any better way to get people from point A to point B?  And considering the extreme amounts of energy coming out of the sun, energy which stirred all of life to come into existence, and will continue to burn for billions of years, could we not then power everything in the world with the sun?  Certainly.  Will the gasoline and electric companies allow it?  Not if they can help it.  There's money to be made!

whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 03:13:36 PM

The real gold rush is not mining, but owning your own electric company, regardless of where you harvest the energy, from the sun, from the wind, from the heat of the earth, etc.

would'nt the losses from a focused beam of light be the same, anybody under the collector ring would be in darkness, I think there are companies working on using lasers for transferring energy but that is still not very efficient yet (or so were told, I bet the military are a few steps ahead with this kinda tech).

In a Novel by Arthur C Clarke he describes people living on a huge flat ring that encricles the sun, everybody inside the ring has continuous daylight.

Anyway I think Geothermal is underused, it's mad to think the lengths we go to to extract oil and gas from the earth when we can just drill in certain places and extract heat directly, We live on a huge ball of molten rock with a relatively thin crust, even a few feet underground the temperature increase is significant and steady.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 03:26:54 PM

Bitcoin is backed by the cost of electricity (and equipment) required to compute its proof of work.

Not correct, though people say this very often.

"Backing" when talking about a currency has a very specific, important meaning. It means that some party has promised to redeem that currency for some other good of value. Backing requires a backer, in other words. It requires someone's promise to back Item A with Item B. This is how paper money can have real value, because if it's backed by a government or bank or corp that will give you gold/silver for it, then it has that same value by proxy. That's backing.

Bitcoin is not backed by anything, nor anyone. It is a resource, a commodity, a good in and of itself.

The cost of electricity/equipment does not back Bitcoin whatsoever, just as the cost of dredging deep-sea mud from the ocean floor doesn't back the price of this mud on the open market.
mpfrank

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 03:27:28 PM

What we need now is a Bitcoin style Secure Voting system for a Primary / Direct democracy- so everybody can vote on every piece of legislation and can put forward their own legislation.

Or

Any of the above has to be better than the Corporate bought puppet Governments we have now

It is easy to create a secure electronic voting system on top of Bitcoin.  Simply declare in advance that all blocks in a certain depth range will be the "election period" - then let users attach text codes indicating their votes to their transactions during that period (certain clients will let you attach arbitrary text to transactions)...  The transaction fee that is paid can indicate the strength of the user's conviction...  Then you simply add up the transaction fees paid in support of each candidate during the voting period to determine the winner.  Mining collectives collect the fees paid as a reward for operating the secure voting system.  A few pools might declare themselves to be "political parties" and only accept transactions that vote for their endorsed candidate.  Other pools might declare themselves neutral and accept any transaction that pays adequate fees.

Only problem with this system, it gives political power in proportion to the wealth of the voters (in Bitcoins) and/or the computational power controlled by the miners...  Instead of "one person, one vote," we have "one Bitcoin, one vote," or "one gigahash, one vote," or something.  However, arguably, our current "democracy" is already largely controlled by money anyway, so it might not be much of a change...

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 03:33:53 PM

Well Bitcoin IS mind-boggling, but it's not backed by natural resources. It is actually more accurate to say that Bitcoin is a natural resource itself... or more accurately a man-made resource.

Like gold, Bitcoin is not backed by anything because it is useful for certain purposes.

Sometimes I worry that I will wake up and Bitcoin will all have been a dream. I'll try to explain it to my friends and family, who will dismiss the silly dream as absurd. Of course you can't have secure decentralized digital money! Psssh!!

But yet, it seems real, and we're living it right now.

Actually Bitcoin is backed by a resource.   It is backed by electricity.   Without power to run the miners machine then it would have some troubles confirming transactions.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 03:40:44 PM

What do you mean by "backed by"?  When we say "paper receipt is backed by gold" it means you can get gold in exchange for receipt at any time. In case of Bitcoin, you are NOT getting back electricity in exchange for your bitcoins, blocks or transactions. Please clarify what you mean by this.

One definition of "backed by" is "guaranteed exchangeable for."

Another is "supported by."  As in 'Bitcoin is supported by the scarcity of energy available from natural resources.'

"Backed by", I would step back and not assume the definition of exchanged for even though that is common nomenclature in the monetary world. 

People should think of at least part of a coin as how much resources went into producing it through the mining and proof of work system.  I believe miners these days have too look at that when they weigh how much that coins should be worth in purchasing power.   I understand the open market exchanges determine the current price but I am taking the side of the miner who is looking to potential sell that coin into the market for covering mining expenses.  At the moment, he would have a good idea much these coins were worth if he was keeping really good records on his daily mining reward.

Dalkore

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
blogospheroid

Activity: 133

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 04:34:26 PM

Not many people realise this, but bitcoin is actually the first public record of anything that is not dependent on a third party. It is dependent on a bunch of third parties, but not on one. For anyone who ever was afraid of a 1984 kind of scenario, this is a very plausible way out.

I believe that the most important developments are still ahead -

A deep unbiased prediction market of anything and everything. People betting on stuff that people care about, or say that they care about, in a darknet website.

A blockchain where people seek to code law - Maybe impossible. Maybe equivalent to creating an AI. But Satoshi has opened the blockchain pandora's box and lots of things could be done with it.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 04:40:50 PM

Will the gasoline and electric companies allow it?  Not if they can help it.  There's money to be made!

It might happen, although it is understood that it can be a weapon, if there were agreements before about it's actual and intended use. If it were used inappropriately at any time, it would be shot down. Or it can be made in a such a way as to only orbit its owner's country or company and then they wouldn't have to worry about it give energy to anyone who won't pay.

Gasoline companies are now going into renewable energy. Shell is an example. They know oil is going to run out, so they are researching other ways of making money while they still can, and then move over to the next territory.

Solar power is not free. You need to set up the panels. The panels on the surface of the earth are less efficient than if they were in space, however there have been studies made where solar panels on earth can take up a small portion and be sufficient to power the world right now. I'm guessing if it's too expensive to send up some panels into space, power companies (or governments) will set up panels on giant man made islands along the equator line (where the sun is most powerful).

Then you'd have to protect those panels from the environment and from pirates and from rivals.

There's a couple of graphics showing this.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 04:55:14 PM

Will the gasoline and electric companies allow it?  Not if they can help it.  There's money to be made!

It might happen, although it is understood that it can be a weapon, if there were agreements before about it's actual and intended use. If it were used inappropriately at any time, it would be shot down. Or it can be made in a such a way as to only orbit its owner's country or company and then they wouldn't have to worry about it give energy to anyone who won't pay.

Gasoline companies are now going into renewable energy. Shell is an example. They know oil is going to run out, so they are researching other ways of making money while they still can, and then move over to the next territory.

Solar power is not free. You need to set up the panels. The panels on the surface of the earth are less efficient than if they were in space, however there have been studies made where solar panels on earth can take up a small portion and be sufficient to power the world right now. I'm guessing if it's too expensive to send up some panels into space, power companies (or governments) will set up panels on giant man made islands along the equator line (where the sun is most powerful).

Then you'd have to protect those panels from the environment and from pirates and from rivals.

Yes, capitalism has this way of not really caring for the bigger picture and focusing more on "how much money can I make by doing this, and how can I stomp out my competition?"  A combination of geo-thermal and solar would be great; there's lots of potential, if not free energy, to strike down the cost of it, but of course even that can be compensated by simply charging people the same rate as ever and pocketing the profits.  Gasoline companies couldn't care less about renewable energy, they only go where their crowd is going.  They'll find whatever the 'new' thing is, own it, and then charge everyone else several times more to use it.  The problem today is energy is completely inefficient.  America's one of the worst; if everyone needs to go places, and often to the exact same place from 8 to 5, why is public transportation so undeveloped?  We figured out a while back that if you hang a train on magnets against a magnetized rail, you can make it go real fast, real efficient, and charge a small fee for using it.  Set up such a system nationwide, with smaller, more local methods of transportation, perhaps trolleys or very conveniently placed train stations, and you can save on a lot of energy, where instead of individual vehicles getting crammed onto a road, you have one vehicle which can hold many--it would also be safer, but, that's another argument.  A system like this will probably catch on today, if any entrepreneur wanted to screw with the gasoline companies, and take advantage of incredibly high gas prices.

If we're considering powering the world as it stands, we're going to have a hard time.  Powering a more efficient set of societies is a much easier task to accomplish.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 05:36:23 PM

Bitcoin is backed by it's unique properties of utility. Instant transfers, anonymity, low fees, uncensorability, controlled inflation, integration in today's cyber world. It is like gold. Gold also have unique properties that are utilitarian by themselves like corrosion resistance, conductivity, reflectivity. Gold would not be valuable by scarcity alone without other awesome properties as a material. There is not much value in dinosaur poo although it is also rare like gold.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Wouter Drucker

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 06:56:03 PM

Bitcoin is backed by it's unique properties of utility. Instant transfers, anonymity, low fees, uncensorability, controlled inflation, integration in today's cyber world. It is like gold. Gold also have unique properties that are utilitarian by themselves like corrosion resistance, conductivity, reflectivity. Gold would not be valuable by scarcity alone without other awesome properties as a material. There is not much value in dinosaur poo although it is also rare like gold.

Plus this technology allows for an unlimited amount of competing currencies. If people can come together and switch their currency at will, this completely flips the market system on its head.

Grin
annette786

Activity: 160

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 07:28:44 PM

Bitcoin is backed by the cost of electricity (and equipment) required to compute its proof of work.

Not correct, though people say this very often.

"Backing" when talking about a currency has a very specific, important meaning. It means that some party has promised to redeem that currency for some other good of value. Backing requires a backer, in other words. It requires someone's promise to back Item A with Item B. This is how paper money can have real value, because if it's backed by a government or bank or corp that will give you gold/silver for it, then it has that same value by proxy. That's backing.

Bitcoin is not backed by anything, nor anyone. It is a resource, a commodity, a good in and of itself.

The cost of electricity/equipment does not back Bitcoin whatsoever, just as the cost of dredging deep-sea mud from the ocean floor doesn't back the price of this mud on the open market.

I agree. Governments back currency to create confidence.

Bitcoin derives confidence from being useful as a currency. The ultimate currency should be easy to use (make micro-transactions simple and close to free), be secure (from fraud, government seizure, and provide anonymity), and be a good store of value (scarce).  To the extent that bitcoin scales to these tasks, is the extent that bitcoin will prevail in the long-run.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:08:26 PM

Plus this technology allows for an unlimited amount of competing currencies. If people can come together and switch their currency at will, this completely flips the market system on its head
It is possible but all other competing currencies have failed to gain momentum so far, with Litecoin being the most successful so far. Take example ixcoin. It is very similar to Bitcoin, but almost noone uses it. There is no need for alternate cryptocurrency right now because none of them provides substantial advantages over Bitcoin.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
FreddyFender

Activity: 215

Shamantastic!

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:17:53 PM

You have to include misappropriation of resources. New 'currency' objects could alleviate the bottleneck through which goods flow.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 10:18:02 PM

One definition of "backed by" is "guaranteed exchangeable for."

Another is "supported by."  As in 'Bitcoin is supported by the scarcity of energy available from natural resources.'

These are totally different definitions and the second one is made up. If you want to point out prerequisites to deal with Bitcoins, you don't need to redefine words. Bitcoins need the same modern capital structure that you also need for having dollars and modern banking. Namely, connectivity, electricity, equipment and many people employed in that area.

Back to the first definition (which is what most people use): what exactly and by whom is guaranteed to be exchanged for irrevocably spent electricity in case of Bitcoin?

The first definition only (strictly/literally) applies to currencies legislatively or constitutionally tied to a commodity, IE dollars on a gold standard.

The second definition subsumes the first, is more general, and more useful because it is more commonly used.

The second definition is not "made up."  You are merely confusing your own lack of education with objective reality.

If you Google "backed by" you will plainly see every single dictionary listing numerous variants of the second defintion, as well as linguistic context demonstrating a preponderance of evidence testifying to the correctness of that usage.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=backed+by

WRT Bitcoin (and gold), a metaphorical blending of both definitions occurs, allowing Bitcoin's utility to be conceptualized as its backing.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 11:23:33 PM

Bitcoin is too awesome..
First of all the concept of money itself is  mind-boggling..   Now we have true money that is backed by natural resources...

The more I think.of it, the more I realize how much we are living in the Matrix!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8YO5icNGn0

Bitcoin is this telephone call to the Matrix ...

I know you're out there...I can feel you now. I know that
you're afraid. You're afraid of us, you're afraid of
change...I don't know the future...I didn't come here to
tell you how this is going to end, I came here to tell you
how this is going to begin. Now, I'm going to hang up
this phone, and I'm going to show these people what you
don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world
without you...a world without rules and controls, without
borders or boundaries. A world ... where anything is
possible.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print