Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:34:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accidentally sent Litecoin to Electrum Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 2770 times)
mcfrosty (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 12:01:25 AM

I didn't realize that Electrum had both a bitcoin and litecoin wallet, so I downloaded the wrong wallet (bitcoin instead of litecoin) and sent litecoin to it. What will happen? Is is possible to retrieve my litecoin or is it unretrievable? Thanks for any help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 12:08:40 AM

It's possible only if you own the keys to both addresses. I remember Bitfinex recovering Litecoins sent erroneously to Bitcoin multisig addresses, so it's possible to recover them.

edit: this might help
mcfrosty (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 01:50:46 AM

Thanks for the tip and assurance. I'm trying to do this by importing my private keys from my Electrum BTC wallet to my Electrum LTC wallet, using the sweep function, restoring the wallet, etc. but it doesn't seem by working and allowing me to move forward (for example the 'sweep' button is greyed out). I must be doing something wrong, and wonder if the Electrum LTC wallet isn't recognizing the keys from the Electrum BTC wallet? Thanks again for any help!
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 09:41:47 PM

Thanks for the tip and assurance. I'm trying to do this by importing my private keys from my Electrum BTC wallet to my Electrum LTC wallet, using the sweep function, restoring the wallet, etc. but it doesn't seem by working and allowing me to move forward (for example the 'sweep' button is greyed out). I must be doing something wrong, and wonder if the Electrum LTC wallet isn't recognizing the keys from the Electrum BTC wallet? Thanks again for any help!

Not sure what's wrong as I've never faced this issue, neither I'm an expert in key generation, but according to DannyHamilton (who has way more knowledge than me) here, you really just need to export from BTC wallet and import private keys on your LTC wallet.

If you send litecoins to a bitcoin address that you control, then you will need to export the private keys from your bitcoin wallet and then import those private keys into your litecoin wallet.  Then the address will be available to your litecoin wallet so that you can regain access to the litecoins.

Not sure what to suggest next. Maybe try with another client and see if you can import.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 10:01:53 AM

I didn't realize that Electrum had both a bitcoin and litecoin wallet, so I downloaded the wrong wallet (bitcoin instead of litecoin) and sent litecoin to it. What will happen? Is is possible to retrieve my litecoin or is it unretrievable? Thanks for any help!

Litecoin addresses begin with an L. Bitcoin addresses begin with a 1. Both litecoin and bitcoin have checksums to avoid typos. It is not possible to send litecoins to a bitcoin address. The litecoin client you use will refuse to send them there because the address would not be a valid litecoin address. So what exactly did you do?
mcfrosty (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 04:32:51 AM

The litecoin was sent from Bittrex to my bitcoin wallet, and Bittrex told me that I just need to import my private key from my bitcoin address/wallet that I sent it to, to a litecoin wallet. The problem I'm having is that I'm following the instructions to import the private key into the wallet, but the litecoin wallets that I downloaded don't seen to recognize the private key. I checked the bitcoin address that the litecoin were sent to, and it looks like all the litecoins are still there, but I just can't figure out how to import the private key and retrieve them.
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 08:31:24 AM

The litecoin was sent from Bittrex to my bitcoin wallet, and Bittrex told me that I just need to import my private key from my bitcoin address/wallet that I sent it to, to a litecoin wallet. The problem I'm having is that I'm following the instructions to import the private key into the wallet, but the litecoin wallets that I downloaded don't seen to recognize the private key. I checked the bitcoin address that the litecoin were sent to, and it looks like all the litecoins are still there, but I just can't figure out how to import the private key and retrieve them.

Did you read my post just above yours? Litecoin addresses are a different format altogether and it is not possible to send litecoins to a bitcoin address. If you still think that that's what you did then how about sharing the address in question with us so we can see for ourselves?
mcfrosty (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 06:40:22 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2016, 12:32:48 AM by mcfrosty

Yes, I did read your post. Bittrex sent me this a few days ago, showing the bitcoin address (receiving address for my Electrum BTC wallet) that I sent it to, is actually a valid litecoin address: http://ltc.blockr.io/address/info/3Mjr6FjR5T5Mc5rSRvKDhPxEYPfmmVzTXR

I was able to export the private key for that address, but can't figure out how to import it into any litecoin wallets, as the private key for this address doesn't seem to be recognized by any litecoin wallets, and won't let me move to the next step (any buttons are greyed out, etc.).

Bittrex escalated this and here's the reply I just received: Unfortunately, I have no clue how to help. It looks like you sent litecoin to a multisig BTC address which is valid on both networks. I don't know the process to recover the funds. You might try posting on the forums.
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 06:22:49 AM

That's a multisig bitcoin address. There is more than one private key for that. I don't know whether litecoin electrum supports multisig or not but if it does you can restore your multisig wallet in that. You will need all your extended private keys or your seed mnemonics. The extended private keys start with xprv and the seed mnemonics consist of random English words.
artbct

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 01:24:40 AM

I just did the same thing, but I sent from litecoin block.io wallet to bitcoin block.io wallet. It just happened late this afternoon and so far I have not received any response from block.io support. I'm hoping that someone is still maintaining block.io to help with this problem. Block.io still works, and I've always been happy using it, however, I've never used it for large amounts, still it would be nice to know that they do enough business to have an interest in my problem.
digitalnutrition

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 09:30:27 PM

Hey I made a tutorial on how to recover LTC from a 2fa Multisig BTC Electrum wallet. I accidentally sent LTC from and exchange to my BTC address, this is what a did to recover the LTC. This would probably also work the other way around if you sent BTC to a LTC address. If it is not a multisig wallet just choose standard wallet instead and import your private key. Let me know in the comments on youtube if this helped you guys. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umsIy1ks8vg&t=41s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: