Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:32:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In person cash trade for BTC  (Read 1721 times)
Draino (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:52:21 AM

I put an ad up to buy/sell BTC recently, and made one successful trade so far, for around $60 in BTC.  Now, someone has contacted me to meet in person for a 10 BTC trade, and I'm a little nerved up, since it dawned on me that counting ~$600 in public could be a bit awkward.

Any experience here (maybe gold-bugs or something)?  Is there an etiquette I should know about?  A good way not to be hit with a wrench and have smart-devices stolen?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:57:52 AM

I put an ad up to buy/sell BTC recently, and made one successful trade so far, for around $60 in BTC.  Now, someone has contacted me to meet in person for a 10 BTC trade, and I'm a little nerved up, since it dawned on me that counting ~$600 in public could be a bit awkward.

Any experience here (maybe gold-bugs or something)?  Is there an etiquette I should know about?  A good way not to be hit with a wrench and have smart-devices stolen?

I've thought about it a bunch.  My thoughts are to sit in a bank lobby.  Do part of the transfer, take the cash to the teller (to make sure it is real and to get it out of my hands so I don't get mugged) go back to the lobby and do more, rinse/repeat.  Anyone who would reject such a solution I would feel may not be a person I'd wish to meet elsewhere.

I think this would work well enough and there is nothing illegal or untoward about it.  There is nothing 'shameful' about buying or selling BTC in my opinion.  Either one could be pretty shrewd moves, and any one doing either is pretty obviously out in front of a wave at this point.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
sounds

Activity: 140

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:03:08 AM

I second tvbcof's opinion.

I recently purchased a (nice) car for USD cash. Wish it was BTC, but hey.

The seller wanted to immediately deposit the cash, so we drove to a nearby bank where he deposited the money.

Then he handed over the keys and said, "have a nice day!"

It made me nervous after giving him the cash when he wouldn't close the deal. That's one thing I would be careful about: if he wants to change the terms at the last minute, walk away.
FreedomCoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 507

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:03:33 AM

Its like basically selling a car, you sign over the title get the cash. goto the bank deposit it and then give them the keys.

Woodcock36

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:04:49 AM

I've thought about it a bunch.  My thoughts are to sit in a bank lobby.  Do part of the transfer, take the cash to the teller (to make sure it is real and to get it out of my hands so I don't get mugged) go back to the lobby and do more, rinse/repeat.  Anyone who would reject such a solution I would feel may not be a person I'd wish to meet elsewhere.

I think this would work well enough and there is nothing illegal or untoward about it.  There is nothing 'shameful' about buying or selling BTC in my opinion.  Either one could be pretty shrewd moves, and any one doing either is pretty obviously out in front of a wave at this point.

This, and I might even go a step further and go to your bank and talk to the branch manager about assisting in the facilitation of the transaction. This may not be practical for most people, as I live in a small town and have a personal relationship with my branch manager. You would not only avoid the awkwardness of a 'large' cash transaction, but you would more than likely be introducing your bank to a cash BTC transaction. It is a long shot, but for security and to further Bitcoins legitimacy, I would try doing something along these lines.

Tip me for glory!: 1FKppwEjrenyhNXC9AHobgtuCcBTSLdnzY
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:17:30 AM

For $600, your judgement is key. If you are worried that he'll hand you a wad of bills that only come to $590, don't even count it. Say "I trust you" and leave. Consider the probabilities and his actions. 10% chance he screwed you out of $40 on purpose? Thats only $4 worth of value, you'll be much better off with the "I trust you" route. 25% chance he will beat you with with a hammer in the parking lot? Might want to leave out the side door.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Draino (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:36:06 AM

For $600, your judgement is key. If you are worried that he'll hand you a wad of bills that only come to $590, don't even count it. Say "I trust you" and leave. Consider the probabilities and his actions. 10% chance he screwed you out of $40 on purpose? Thats only $4 worth of value, you'll be much better off with the "I trust you" route. 25% chance he will beat you with with a hammer in the parking lot? Might want to leave out the side door.

Thankfully he agreed to the bank meeting, but this advice is reassuring.  You must not be a scaredy-nerd.
Rincewind

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:55:31 AM

Get a name and valid phone number before agreeing to anything. Use the phone number and verify it works. Take a buddy, meet in a well-lit public area during daytime hours, and count the money in front of him.

My friends and I have bought/sold pinball machines with strangers off of Web forums quite a few times. Standing in a Cracker Barrel parking lot off an Interstate ramp and counting out $5500 is an adrenaline rush.  Cheesy
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 06:59:51 AM

According to FINCen, what you are doing is now illegal unless you pay $1 million and jump through some hoops to become a licensed money exchanger.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:04:58 AM

According to FINCen, what you are doing is now illegal unless you pay $1 million and jump through some hoops to become a licensed money exchanger.

Nah. I'll sell you a book or a baseball for $600 and give you 10 bitcoins too.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 07:07:41 AM

Just sayin...worry less about getting robbed and more about if the guy is a cop.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
eveisk

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:20:46 AM

and more about if the guy is a cop.
/SEC/DHS/FBI
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:36:45 AM

Just sayin...worry less about getting robbed and more about if the guy is a cop.

Bitcoins aren't illegal.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 05:18:00 PM

Bitcoins aren't illegal.

But exchanging them without paying $1 million (and immediately going bankrupt because you can't possibly afford to pay that with casual BTC sales) apparently is, in FinCEN's interpretation.

move topic> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=8.0

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:30:48 PM

Please read this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137272.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: