Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:34:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypt private key on paper wallet using bitaddress.org  (Read 2562 times)
maxmint (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:22:57 PM

Bitaddress.org seems to be a handy tool for creating paper wallets, the only problem is that the private key is in plain text.
If an intruder gets in possesion of my paper wallet he would be able to instantly import the key and get my coins.

So I would like to have the printed private keys encrypted with a passphrase. What would be the best way to realize this?
Thanks for your tips.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 05:58:55 PM

So I would like to have the printed private keys encrypted with a passphrase. What would be the best way to realize this?

Wait for the next release of BitAddress.

Or, take your chances with the version that has not yet been vetted by the community as being safe.  If you know javascript and cryptography you might be qualified to make that conclusion yourself, but for now it is getting that vetting.

From another thread:

I changed the colour to blue for encrypted paper wallets to provide distinction between encrypted/unencrypted paper wallets - a version in the original yellow is included in case you really like yellow, just delete 'note_encrypted.png' and rename 'note_yellow.png' in its place.

This solution (encrypted paper wallets) robably isn't ready for prime time, but give it a few weeks and that will probably become a very good method for offline / long term savings that is secure.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

maxmint (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:11:54 PM

Thanks Stephen, that's exactly what I'm looking for. But I'll be waiting for an "official" release before using it, just to be safe.

In the meantime I might be using dancupid's method, which I really like because it's so simple:

A simple non-techie approach, which I use, is to print out a paper wallet and then use this private key as the first factor.
Paste this into http://brainwallet.org/ passphrase field and then add your password as the second factor creating a new private key/address - send all your bitcoins to this address.
You can allow some access to the original paper wallet, so you can safely store it in many places, with family members etc

example.
paper wallet address 1JwSSubhmg6iPtRjtyqhUYYH7bZg3Lfy1T
private key 5KJvsngHeMpm884wtkJNzQGaCErckhHJBGFsvd3VyK5qMZXj3hS

passphrase for brainwallet:

5KJvsngHeMpm884wtkJNzQGaCErckhHJBGFsvd3VyK5qMZXj3hSthisismydifficulttoguesspass word

producing address 1GuJmVpp4x1bhNoj67ngViEyk6Aa1yadVB - to which you can send all your stored wealth.

Goes without saying that this should all be done offline on a fresh os install.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:35:09 AM

Is there an updated version of this or will there be one available soon?
Current version is based on v2.2, official bitaddress version on github is v2.5.
I compared them quickly and there seem to be a lot of differences.

Also noticed the original development topic hasn't been touched since 03 feb. did it fail testing or what happened?
Encrypted paper wallets are pretty important i think, specially now that bitcoin is getting spread wider.

As for recovery safety, are both versions equal? Can i be 100% sure that the keypairs generated by the script are valid and that i can import them when needed? Don't feel like dumping my btc in a black hole...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:47:43 AM

Current version is based on v2.2,

Current version hosted on BitAddress is v2.4.
 - https://www.bitaddress.org/bitaddress.org-v2.4-SHA1-xxxxx

If GitHub has a version tagged for v2.5 that might mean release is imminent.  Does v2.5 have encrypted wallets?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:04:48 PM

Current version is based on v2.2,

Current version hosted on BitAddress is v2.4.
 - https://www.bitaddress.org/bitaddress.org-v2.4-SHA1-xxxxx

If GitHub has a version tagged for v2.5 that might mean release is imminent.  Does v2.5 have encrypted wallets?

The official version of github is indeed v2.5, but it does not support encrypted private keys.

The v2.2 i was referring to was the base of the version that has the encrypted keys, located here https://github.com/Zeilap/bitaddress.org

There seem to be a lot of changes between v2.2 and 2.5 and since i'm not a coder i can't tell if the v2.2 with the encrypted keys is safe enough. (don't want to send funds to an address that can't be accessed later on)

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 03:41:26 AM

v2.5.1 is live on the website and supports BIP38 encrypted paper wallets.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:52:40 AM

Can people report their BIP38 encrypt/decrypt times? Seemed like mine were over a minute each, for a funny 3 word mixed case, 2 punctuation mark passphrase. Not sure if that's FF24+addons, my comp specs, or all of the above.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: