Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:34:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin.it a real wiki ?  (Read 8211 times)
twix (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:03:28 PM

Yes, I would like to contribute significantly in the french wiki. I am currently in engineering school & working, but I still have free time I would like to put in this.

Here is my bitcoin adress:

1twixx3GKBQETwGvqscirQdm9Vj2c5Xw7
This whole thread is a huge argument over an amount of money that could buy perhaps two apples. Perhaps I have gotten out of touch, but I feel like it's pocket-change, and silly that it's causing so much trouble.

Check your incoming transactions. Please put your editing privileges to good use.

Thank you for this donation  Smiley, I'll forward it to the bitcoin.it payment adress asap and start contributing.

gweedo : https://fr.bitcoin.it/wiki/Sp%C3%A9cial:Contributions/Twix

See you soon Smiley
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 10:05:00 PM

LMAO watch him not edit or change one thing for the better.
It's certainly possible. But I figure 10 minicoins is a small price to pay to find out.

We'll see!

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:01:17 AM

About the fee being too high... well, some months ago 0.01 was "nothing". Now the standard for "nothing" is more like 0.0005, or even lower. That the fees are high is a more adequate subject for discussion, in my opinion.

EDIT: seeing that, as described on https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BitcoinPayment , the proceedings from the payments are used to keep with wiki online, and since probably not that many people are signing up, maybe the fee is not that high.

The fees really don't need to be sufficient to cover the admin costs of the wiki, and with the increase in the exchange rate they might already be more than covered.  Primarily the reason this existed was due to the spambots and other attempts to gain search engine / pagerank benefits.  A simple threshold of a few dimes worth of bitcoins would probably be more than sufficient to keep that activity away for the most part.

I'll take a look into seeing what is needed to get that price in BTCs lowered.  Nobody who wishes to contribute should be denied because of the cost of getting past the anti-spam protection.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

adormo

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 08:03:49 PM

I wonder what happens next after I pay here
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Special:BitcoinPayment

...how do they connect my account to the payment?
I mean, how do they know it's me who paid?

It's probably obvious but I have to admit I'm lost Smiley
adormo

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 08:21:55 PM

yes but how?
- I'm in https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Special:BitcoinPayment
- I click the link, my Multibit opens (is this connected to the wiki?)
- I pay
how do they know I paid? Do I have to publish my address in my profile?

Also, if I pay from an exchange that won't work right?

I am asking also to understand how this kind of payment implementation works in general.

Thanks for the reply!

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 08:28:54 PM

Your logged in.  They gave you a unique payment address.

Any payment to that address will be linked to the account you are logged in with.
adormo

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 08:37:09 PM

I knew it was easy but I didn't expect it to be so brilliant!
Sounds great also for implementing on my website.
Thanks!
twix (OP)

Activity: 35

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:39:50 PM

The fee amount to 5€ ~ 7$ now... No wonder no one wants to edit the wiki Sad
ilovebitcoin.fr

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 04:02:17 AM

Anti-spam fee for french wiki is still 0.01 BTC. I repeat 0.01 BTC (10 mBTC).

The administrators, mostly wealthy english-speaking guys (even though Mark Karpeles @MagicalTux speaks french), haven't realized yet that they forgot to lower the fees for the french part of the wiki.

I just contacted Gregory Maxwell by email, who replied that the fee had been lowered to 0.001 BTC months ago. I told him about the french glitch but I am still waiting for a reply about this.

I sent tweets to @sgornick @MagicalTux @genjix a few hours, I didn't get any reply. Let's wait and see.

I cannot contact them by email because... you have to pay the fee to send emails through the wiki.

Building higher fortresses between the happy few and the rest of the world (80% the world population lives on less than 10$ a day, 10% on less than 1$ a day... 0.001 BTC isn't exactly  a small anti-spam tip for them) shouldn't be a goal of Bitcoin enthusiasts or promoters.

The result of all this?

French pages: 10
French trusted users: 7
French active users: 1

Well done guys! :-)

<3

jérôme
GPG E063 9B6A 3892 84A4 74FE AB0E EF73 E6DA 5836 B81A
http://ilovebitcoin.fr
@bitcoinmars
ilovebitcoin.fr

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 06:43:04 AM

Guess what? You are repeating yourself and it's rather boring: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155482.msg1648623#msg1648623

I already maintain 3 mediawikis. One of them has 250.000 hits and a dozen contributors even though it's about a small local collective.

Let's try to unite our forces instead of dividing them, don't you think clever boy? :-)

And no, it's not about money. I can afford to pay. But I don't want to. I don't want to contribute to a project if 90% of human beings are left stranded at the gate. That looks too much like the current financial and banking system.

If anybody is stupid enough to send me 0.01 BTC i'll donate it to Wikileaks or EFF or something in the way.

Cheers!
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:51:01 AM

The wiki's kind of broken through being outdated in most articles. It lags months behind major Bitcoin developments, like whenever the fee structure or block size changes. The Trade section's a relic full of broken links and missing major, new-ish businesses. I'd support a wiki experimenting with a different way of doing things. Fwiw.
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:57:03 AM

The wiki's kind of broken through being outdated in most articles. It lags months behind major Bitcoin developments, like whenever the fee structure or block size changes. The Trade section's a relic full of broken links and missing major, new-ish businesses. I'd support a wiki experimenting with a different way of doing things. Fwiw.
Think this is a consequence of having to pay 0.01 BTC in order to update the wiki or correct errors, people just not going to do it, updating a wiki and correcting errors is actually work, your actually working for the wiki site to provide them with content and on top of the work your doing for them you even have to pay them, it is just a ridiculous concept. This is not how economics work you know. I work for you and I have to pay you to work for you, yeah right  Roll Eyes

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:01:44 AM

Think this is a consequence of having to pay 0.01 BTC in order to update the wiki or correct errors, people just not going to do it, updating a wiki and correcting errors is actually work, your actually working for the wiki site to provide them with content and on top of the work your doing for them you even have to pay them, it is just a ridiculous concept.
It could be worthwhile to actually have theymos do it under the forum's name (integrate as wiki.bitcointalk?). Mods could be paid a meager amount as is done here to help encourage activity. Set up a donation wallet for the wiki and whatever isn't covered by donations can come out of the bottomless pit of forum money. Maybe.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:07:32 AM

Think this is a consequence of having to pay 0.01 BTC in order to update the wiki or correct errors, people just not going to do it, updating a wiki and correcting errors is actually work, your actually working for the wiki site to provide them with content and on top of the work your doing for them you even have to pay them, it is just a ridiculous concept. This is not how economics work you know. I work for you and I have to pay you to work for you, yeah right  Roll Eyes

I just contacted Gregory Maxwell by email, who replied that the fee had been lowered to 0.001 BTC months ago.

From ilovebitcoin.fr's post, you only need to pay 0.001 BTC for the English wiki..only 0.01 BTC for the French part.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:02:01 PM

Wikipedia can only successfully be edited by people who are part of the incrowd. They don't ask money for edits but if you are not buddies with the incrowd your edits will be reversed mercilessly and in the worst case you get banned. Just try editing the Bitcoin article on Wikipedia and find out for yourself.

All online communities have their own rules and their own set of connected people who can get away with things that are a bannable offense for others.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:08:35 PM

Wikipedia can only successfully be edited by people who are part of the incrowd. They don't ask money for edits but if you are not buddies with the incrowd your edits will be reversed mercilessly and in the worst case you get banned. Just try editing the Bitcoin article on Wikipedia and find out for yourself.

All online communities have their own rules and their own set of connected people who can get away with things that are a bannable offense for others.

I cant agree with u 100% as a long term Wikipedia editor. Their are problems of sockpuppet and vandalism as well as lobbies. But still anyone can edit it for free. I wrote a long part on Bin Laden's death and that's still there.

This Bitcoin Wiki is actually controlled by the group who started Bitcoin movement. Now they'll enjoy the cream on all front. Wherever u challenge them, they'll say "start your own and convince people to join". Whether it is code or the wiki.

Bottom line is: Use Bitcoin, but dont expect it to replace FIAT. Because, just like FIAT is controlled by the government, Bitcoin is also controlled by the core group - Theymos aka Michael Marquardt, Gavin etc.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:38:44 PM

Bottom line is: Use Bitcoin, but dont expect it to replace FIAT. Because, just like FIAT is controlled by the government, Bitcoin is also controlled by the core group - Theymos aka Michael Marquardt, Gavin etc.

Very false! Yes the wiki is controlled by Mark from Mt Gox, but nothing is stopping you from creating and promoting your own wiki. Really the wiki lost a huge part which was the BIP's which are now hosted on github as it is more open for people to edit and comment.

If facebook can overtake myspace, you can over take a little wiki.

LoLz ...its not only about Wiki ....its about the whole Bitcoin thing. Most of the related domains are now with Michael Marquardt. Code is now with Gavin (I know its open and your anyone can contribute buzzword, but ultimately the core dev group will take the final decision. It is like our own representative take the Govt decision that goes against us !!!). Gox still controls the Bitcoin price, though Boby Lee has joined the league as well... but again, Boby Lee's brother is now working with Gavin at Coinbase. That old nexus. Somewhere I heard, Satoshi distributed his assets among people so that the decentralized structure remains. Ha ha ...what if those people get united ...and that's happening now. Even in the mining front we are always scared of 51% attack ....though I'm sure it'll never happen as if it happens, from the next day an alt coin will go to the moon.

And yes... another wiki, like FB beat MySpace. FB did not create a profile under MySPace to beat them. They made a ground up design. Here the option is Alt coin. But why should we try them out at all ? We have FIAT. Our own taxed Govt control them. Wait few years and let BTC take over. All those mumbo-jumbo commissions will be vanished and people will star liking CC again.

I dont need to create another wiki. I have wikipedia to tie your hands if u cross the line ...SIMPLE  Wink

3xcentricz

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 03:14:19 AM

I went to the wiki to add an entry,

I had an account in there for 2+ years,

Now finding out I have to pay to edit... disappointed,,, onward.

I believe it should be free to all so there is no barrier to anyone who wishes to contribute..  Sad
ilovebitcoin.fr

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 05:20:33 AM

200 million french speaking people are waiting eagerly to be able to participate to bitcoin.it wiki without paying 10 times the amount of anti-spam tax english speaking people are required to pay.

Could someone relay this request to interested parties?

That would be:

Genjix
Kiba
MagicalTux
Nanotube
Sgornick

These nice people are either totally inaccessible or too busy to reply to my tweets. :-)

And, believe it or not, quite a few of those 200 million french speaking people know how to set up and administer a mediawiki, and something tells me they're not going to beg the aforementioned very long before starting something of their own.

Merci.

Salutations distinguées.

jérôme
BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:29:51 PM

Very false! Yes the wiki is controlled by Mark from Mt Gox, but nothing is stopping you from creating and promoting your own wiki. Really the wiki lost a huge part which was the BIP's which are now hosted on github as it is more open for people to edit and comment.

If facebook can overtake myspace, you can over take a little wiki.

LoLz ...its not only about Wiki ....its about the whole Bitcoin thing. Most of the related domains are now with Michael Marquardt. Code is now with Gavin (I know its open and your anyone can contribute buzzword, but ultimately the core dev group will take the final decision. It is like our own representative take the Govt decision that goes against us !!!). Gox still controls the Bitcoin price, though Boby Lee has joined the league as well... but again, Boby Lee's brother is now working with Gavin at Coinbase. That old nexus. Somewhere I heard, Satoshi distributed his assets among people so that the decentralized structure remains. Ha ha ...what if those people get united ...and that's happening now. Even in the mining front we are always scared of 51% attack ....though I'm sure it'll never happen as if it happens, from the next day an alt coin will go to the moon.

And yes... another wiki, like FB beat MySpace. FB did not create a profile under MySPace to beat them. They made a ground up design. Here the option is Alt coin. But why should we try them out at all ? We have FIAT. Our own taxed Govt control them. Wait few years and let BTC take over. All those mumbo-jumbo commissions will be vanished and people will star liking CC again.

I dont need to create another wiki. I have wikipedia to tie your hands if u cross the line ...SIMPLE  Wink

Theymos doesn't control any domains. Bitcoin.org and bitcointalk.org are owned by Sirus. I don't use the bitcoin-qt put out by the core devs I use one that is put out by the litecoin devs and has more power user features. I don't see how Gavin controls the code, you can just revert back to any old copy, if you don't like it. I think what you mean Gavin has control of what goes into client and as I said before I use a different fork of the bitcoin-qt. Remember this project is very young and one of the visions that Satoshi had was many different wallets would exist and we are starting to see that. Really the miners do control the protocol, cause 51% of them can switch to another protocol and rendering anything that Gavin created in usable if need be.

Also you are very wrong Bobby Lee's brother works with him. Charles Lee the creator of Litecoin is working with coinbase, but I don't get what that has to do with anything. Gavin is an advisor and that means he is helping Brain Armstrong with decisions and may get a bit of stock but that is it. I agree Gavin shouldn't be in bed with companies but what you going to do? Oh wait start your own coinbase...

51% attack only happens if the pool is malicious and they conduct the attack. Currently if any pool got to 51% I wouldn't be scared at all cause most pools make a lot of money and don't really want to kill bitcoin to prove a point. The incentive to cause a 51% would not be there.

Theymos doesn't control any domains. - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=399281.0

Also you are very wrong Bobby Lee's brother works with him. - Charles Lee is the brother of Bobby Lee. U cant separate brothers because they are working on 2 diff projects.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: