Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:17:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Anarchy can work, how come there are no historical records of it working?  (Read 17152 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:26:28 PM

http://mises.org/daily/1121

There are.  Here is one that lasted for longer than the United States has been an independent country, before they had their first civil war.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:42:47 PM

This is absolutely eye opening.  This described the perfect capitalistic society.

Just the fact that wars were extremely costly and kept very short is enough to appeal to anyone.  And considering this was a time period without the luxury of the technologies we hold today, it's only that much more amazing it worked for so long.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 11:34:31 PM

http://mises.org/daily/1121

There are.  Here is one that lasted for longer than the United States has been an independent country, before they had their first civil war.

My first thought was "More like, 'Why do people keep asking this question?'," but then I saw you were on my side. Wink

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:38:47 AM

Before it was abolished, nobody knew how the cotton would get picked without slave labor. After they stopped using humans as property somebody figured it out.
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:43:23 AM

Before it was abolished, nobody knew how the cotton would get picked without slave labor. After they stopped using humans as property somebody figured it out.

Technically, Eli Whitney had it figured out well before that...

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:46:53 AM

+1

Legislation encourages innovation.
Woodcock36

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:51:44 AM

I think the reason most people don't believe that Anarchy can work is that they don't understand the true nature of anarchism. It isn't spraypainting A's on buildings and acting a fool, as is shown in any news report about anarchists. I myself feel that any group of true friends in any city, town, state has the ability to function as an anarchist societal model. But that's just my two pennies.

Tip me for glory!: 1FKppwEjrenyhNXC9AHobgtuCcBTSLdnzY
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:53:49 AM

I think the reason most people don't believe that Anarchy can work is that they don't understand the true nature of anarchism. It isn't spraypainting A's on buildings and acting a fool, as is shown in any news report about anarchists. I myself feel that any group of true friends in any city, town, state has the ability to function as an anarchist societal model. But that's just my two pennies.

There is more to it than that, as there have been many other names for the same basic idea.  None of them seem to ever be well received regardless of the common preception of the terms used.

Woodcock36

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:58:21 AM

There is more to it than that, as there have been many other names for the same basic idea.  None of them seem to ever be well received regardless of the common preception of the terms used.

Forgive me, I tend to oversimplify things.

Tip me for glory!: 1FKppwEjrenyhNXC9AHobgtuCcBTSLdnzY
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 01:10:03 AM

Technically, Eli Whitney had it figured out well before that...

Well, he figured out how to get the seeds from the fibers, but not the boll off the plant. All he really did was make slavery more profitable. Wink

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:06:05 PM

How did humanity survive the past ten thousand years?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:15:01 PM

The best arguments in favor of anarchy I've seen required war, slavery, and ethnic clensing. I suppose they do work if you look at it this way. In the end, we will have to kill each other. One of us will claim to be the anarchist and the other a statistic to support the claim.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:27:36 PM

I don't know guys. I think anarchy is like communism. It sounds great on paper, but doesn't scale well beyond a commune.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:34:01 PM

I don't know guys. I think anarchy is like communism. It sounds great on paper, but doesn't scale well beyond a commune.
Anarchy is everything you enjoy in life, and violence is the opposite.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:26:49 PM

Personally I might do well in an anarchy. But make no mistake I would organize an army and take what I want. I would charge you tribute or burn your village, take slaves, etc.
Join me and be with the strong! In exchange for your unwavering obedience and occasional military service I will allow you to live in peace.
Gota love anarchy!

myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 05:28:42 PM

Personally I might do well in an anarchy. But make no mistake I would organize an army and take what I want. I would charge you tribute or burn your village, take slaves, etc.
Join me and be with the strong! In exchange for your unwavering obedience and occasional military service I will allow you to live in peace.
Gota love anarchy!
What you describe is not "anarchy," but an attempt (by you) to set up a state.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:35:19 PM

Gota love anarchy!
Yes. I think my state will dominate any unorganized place. Join me myrkul, with your warrior skillz we will rule like Gods! Think it over, and please accept this slave girl as a token of friendship.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 05:43:56 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 05:59:03 PM by myrkul

Gota love anarchy!
Yes. I think my state will dominate any unorganized place. Join me myrkul, with your warrior skillz we will rule like Gods! Think it over, and please accept this slave girl as a token of friendship.

Ahh, so you assume that simply because there are no rulers, therefore there is no organization, no effective resistance?

Well, you know what they say about assuming....

EDIT: They changed the site name on me. Link updated.

MonadTran

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:36:44 PM

Personally I might do well in an anarchy. But make no mistake I would organize an army and take what I want.

Where would you get the money to organize an army?

You wouldn't be able to print your own money. You wouldn't be able to borrow enough money either. Taxation is only working currently because billions of people believe it is morally right. Once that changes, you would be spending more money on bouncers than you would gain from pillaging. Especially with Bitcoin, where you can't even know how much you can pillage from a particular household.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:08:06 PM

Personally I might do well in an anarchy. But make no mistake I would organize an army and take what I want.

Where would you get the money to organize an army?

You wouldn't be able to print your own money. You wouldn't be able to borrow enough money either. Taxation is only working currently because billions of people believe it is morally right. Once that changes, you would be spending more money on bouncers than you would gain from pillaging. Especially with Bitcoin, where you can't even know how much you can pillage from a particular household.
Temujin is my template. I would start by killing my closest neighbors with a few friends. Temujin led about 3-5 warriors when he started. By the end of his career he had taken most of the ungoverned land he knew of. You would know him better by the name Genghis Khan. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: